Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

John Williams introducing the SW fan concert:

Higher quality (minus the first few seconds), including the full performance of The Imperial March:

Kathleen and Daisy look good. Has that blonde woman ever been mistaken for a man?

No, have you?

Still would have preferred him dying over Horner!

- Behind the scene footage

Finally saw this - really well done little video. Of course it neglects that sure - while there are certainly large amounts of practical effects and prosthetic creatures in this film, there's gonna be a shit ton of CGI too. But still, hard not to get excited about this film as a fan of the old movies, ya know?

Even though it's been reiterated several times over, here's another article detailing how J.J. Abrams went back to the old-school techniques for filming The Force Awakens -- matte paintings, forced perspectives, practical sets, models.

Why J.J. Abrams and His Crew Went Back to 1977 for 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens'

Abrams was so attentive to detail that the production designers even researched the way the sets were built for the original trilogy to align the new film more closely.

Some LEGO sets leaked early:

No big spoilers but I'll hide anyway

lego-star-wars-set-001.jpg

lego-star-wars-set-002.jpg

lego-star-wars-set-003.jpg

lego-star-wars-set-004.jpg

-So it's definitely Resistance vs First Order

-So BB 8 can co-pilot an X-Wing, like an R2 unit can. Neat.

-Poe's X-Wing is colored different than any X-Wing seen before. Are all Resistance fighters colored like that?

-On the MF, the square dish is here to stay

Yeah, I feel the same. If all these things are true, then they are completely undoing everything Rebels fought for in the original trilogy. And their victory is going to be ultimately meaningless.

Karool

That was always going to happen when you continued the story.

But, does The Empire Strikes Back undo the ending of A New Hope?

So is The Wizard Of Oz but that movie doesn't end nearly as silly as ROTJ. The ending of ROTJ was embarrassingly silly.

Star Wars was pretty silly too (and stole from The Wizard Of Oz).

To be fair, if they didn't ruin the "happy ending" of the OT there would be no point in doing another trilogy. I think it's more realistic that the Empire didn't just slip into oblivion with the Emperor's death. Sure there was a successful rebellion against the Empire, but that doesn't mean every single star system went along with it. There would obviously have been a lot of people (military and political) who would lose everything if a new government were formed. It makes sense for them to go into hiding, biding their time to make a resurgence as The First Order (I'm assuimg this is where the storyline goes).

But consider this also: The names of these two new factions really tell you who is the dominant force politically. What was once the Rebels is now the Resistance. I take that to mean that the Rebels were successful at the end of the OT in overthrowing the Empire and establishing their form of government. Thirty years later, the remnants of the Empire in the form of the First Order are making a comeback to overthrow the new government and reestablish some kind of "evil" government, which the new government is resisting. If that's the case, then the roles from the OT are essentially switched, with the Resistance trying to hold onto power and the First Order trying to overthrow them. If that's the case, the "happy ending" of the OT is not ruined at all.

To be fair, if they didn't ruin the "happy ending" of the OT there would be no point in doing another trilogy. I think it's more realistic that the Empire didn't just slip into oblivion with the Emperor's death. Sure there was a successful rebellion against the Empire, but that doesn't mean every single star system went along with it. There would obviously have been a lot of people (military and political) who would lose everything if a new government were formed. It makes sense for them to go into hiding, biding their time to make a resurgence as The First Order (I'm assuimg this is where the storyline goes).

But consider this also: The names of these two new factions really tell you who is the dominant force politically. What was once the Rebels is now the Resistance. I take that to mean that the Rebels were successful at the end of the OT in overthrowing the Empire and establishing their form of government. Thirty years later, the remnants of the Empire in the form of the First Order are making a comeback to overthrow the new government and reestablish some kind of "evil" government, which the new government is resisting. If that's the case, then the roles from the OT are essentially switched, with the Resistance trying to hold onto power and the First Order trying to overthrow them. If that's the case, the "happy ending" of the OT is not ruined at all.

Yes!

And at the end of the new trilogy, after the First Order is vanquished, they could reveal that the leader of the Resistance is actually a Sith Lord who was pretending to be a good guy to be given absolute power and create a new Empire!

And then we'd have to have a sequel trilogy for the sequel trilogy! Star Wars trilogies forever!

No, it could have been about something new.

Karol

No, it could have been about something new.

Karol

People don't want something new though. They want the OT on repeat.

I don't see the new names as evidence of an immediate power shift in the galaxy, or even one thirty years in the making. Palpatine's Empire was a New Order. This First Order could be trying to show it's held true to that. After all, the remaining Imperial warlords and moffs and governors and admirals would retain their fleets and power sources, and yes the legitimate companies and businessmen who would have been in league with the Empire would want to keep it going. The EU called it a Remnant, now it just has a new name that doesn't sound like an amputated stump.

But the terrorist organization known as the Rebellion to Restore the Republic... That's your Resistance. Resistance, Rebels. The old EU still showed that it took years of fighting before the Rebels overthrew the sitting government on Coruscant, so why would the happy ending of ROTJ on a planet wide city (lots of statues) not be riotous?

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss.

People don't want something new though. They want the OT on repeat.

Best of all, Abrams seems to want to indulge those people, you know, with his matte paintings and other old school techniques. ;)

Is he making the movie for himself and his generation?

The implication of ROTJ's ending is that basically everyone wanted out of the Empire. As the Death Star is being destroyed, there is a brief moment where Imperial troops and officers fend for themselves and abandon Darth Vader himself. That's a classic trope. Even they didn't remain loyal. Anyway, that's going on a bit of a tangent, but I like that part. Lucas himself portrays a galaxy-wide celebration in the Special Edition, including Tatooine, which is peculiar. There's a simplicity to it all. I'm not saying there would be a new government the next day and everything would be peaceful, since that isn't realistic. But the movie wasn't realistic. The Emperor's plan made no sense and somehow backfired on him (he dies by simply being thrown down a shaft?) the Rebels attack the Death Star with a handful of fighters and larger vessels that were in no way suited for combat and basically sitting ducks, yet still win, the Ewoks defeat the armored gun-wielding troops and chicken walkers with rocks and ludicrous log traps (how the fuck did they even get those huge trees suspended up on ropes, and when?). It's a completely silly movie, the type that these days would be fashionably ignored by a sequel, yet we still hold it in high regard.

The implication of ROTJ's ending is that basically everyone wanted out of the Empire. As the Death Star is being destroyed, there is a brief moment where Imperial troops and officers fend for themselves and abandon Darth Vader himself. That's a classic trope. Even they didn't remain loyal. Anyway, that's going on a bit of a tangent, but I like that part. Lucas himself portrays a galaxy-wide celebration in the Special Edition, including Tatooine, which is peculiar. There's a simplicity to it all. I'm not saying there would be a new government the next day and everything would be peaceful, since that isn't realistic. But the movie wasn't realistic. The Emperor's plan made no sense and somehow backfired on him (he dies by simply being thrown down a shaft?) the Rebels attack the Death Star with a handful of fighters and larger vessels that were in no way suited for combat and basically sitting ducks, yet still win, the Ewoks defeat the armored gun-wielding troops and chicken walkers with rocks and ludicrous log traps (how the fuck did they even get those huge trees suspended up on ropes, and when?). It's a completely silly movie, the type that these days would be fashionably ignored by a sequel, yet we still hold it in high regard.

Ding Dong! The Witch is dead. Which old Witch? The Wicked Witch!

Ding Dong! The Wicked Witch is dead.

I just accept the intergalactic celebrations at the end of ROTJ as happening eventually, not necessarily concurrently with Endor. Though it would be the only nonlinear editing moment in the OT.

So is The Wizard Of Oz but that movie doesn't end nearly as silly as ROTJ. The ending of ROTJ was embarrassingly silly.

You mean the movie where Dorothy has beautiful dreams of leaving home to pursue a different life for herself only to regret it and vows never leave home again? Yeah, that's a wonderful ending.

P.S. I love the Wizard of Oz.

It was my favourite movie when I was a child. Heck, I even bought the Blu-ray. I shall never forget that my son thought The Wicked Witch was way more frightening than any creature or villain in Star Wars.

It was a flop back when it was released. People weren't ready for it. It was rediscovered on TV and is now considered a classic and a major influence on Star Wars and other Good vs Evil tales. Some people can't get over the musical aspect though.

Alex Cremerland