Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

I'm sorry, but asides from special effects (optical printing controlled by minicomputers; popularising step printing in the Magic Cave fight; rotoscoped, back-lit laser canons; Dolby Sound etc.) what were the OT's big innovations? Definitely not in terms of editing, story, dialogue or cinematography.

I know it sounds a bit Life of Brian, but what did George Lucas do for us--and I don't mean creating a toy industry and infantilising Hollywood?

Spielberg did that first and more often, and with better results.

And yet ESB wins the JWFan favorite polls every time.

The TFN boards are actually pretty okay nowadays, save the (as usual) thick-headed and easily offended PT fanboys. Also, the moderators are clearly pro-PT since it's usually only the prequel bashers (and not the insane and anal defenders) that get warnings and bans.

Even something as simple as referring to SW as a "franchise" would have you barked at because it's a "degrading" term for movies with unplanned cash-in sequels. Whereas with SW, it was all part of JK Rowling's George's "grand plan".

The TFN boards are actually pretty okay nowadays, save the (as usual) thick-headed and easily offended PT fanboys. Also, the moderators are clearly pro-PT since it's usually only the prequel bashers (and not the insane and anal defenders) that get warnings and bans.

Even something as simple as referring to SW as a "franchise" would have you barked at because it's a "degrading" term for movies with unplanned cash-in sequels. Whereas with SW, it was all part of JK Rowling's George's "grand plan".

It's not that bad anymore. Nowadays, you only have to worry about receiving a 3 page essay explaining why you're wrong any time you say anything derogatory about the prequels. Oh...

I'm sorry, but asides from special effects (optical printing controlled by minicomputers; popularising step printing in the Magic Cave fight; rotoscoped, back-lit laser canons; Dolby Sound etc.) what were the OT's big innovations? Definitely not in terms of editing, story, dialogue or cinematography.

I know it sounds a bit Life of Brian, but what did George Lucas do for us--and I don't mean creating a toy industry and infantilising Hollywood?

He created a tangible fictional world and twisted the fantasy tropes on its head with its sci-fi setting, which made it feel more innovative and magical at first glance. The way it came together captured the imagination of millions worldwide.

I think that's what J.J. Abrams wants to bring back -- not just the aesthetic or the original actors -- but some of that original SW magic.

How can he though? Since George Lucas has already innovated tangible fictional worlds and the twisting of fantasy tropes on their head in sci-fi settings, how can J.J. do anything but imitate? Where's that *original* SW magic gonna come from this time? Perhaps the film is secretly planned to be a comedy, in order to make it feel more innovative and magical at first glance.

“I’m assuming that the midi-chlorians are a race that everybody knows about [in the world of Star Wars]. The way you interact and interface with this larger energy field [the Force] is through the midi-chlorians, which are sensitive to the energy. They are at the core of your life, which is the cell, the living cell. They are in a symbiotic relationship with the cell. And then, because they’re all interconnected as one, they can communicate with the larger Force field. That’s how you deal with the Force.”

“Midi-chlorians are like a single entity: meaning each one doesn’t think individually and have a life to itself; they think as a unit because there’s so many of them and they’re everywhere. They’re in every single cell. And sometimes there’s more than one in a cell. Sometimes there’s a whole bunch in a cell. But there has to be at least one in a cell, otherwise the cell can’t reproduce. All cells. Plant cells. Every life form has a midi-chlorian living inside of them.”

:mellow:

There's a scientific explanation behind everything, EVERYTHING. Midi-Chlorians was a brillant idea, it was just George Lucas putting a name on the "thing".

It's like when scientific first discovered the subatomic particles, like electrons. They putted a name on the "thing".

But Midi-Chlorians is a concept much too scientific for normal people. It was a thing of Jedi, when the Jedi Order ruled over the galaxy.

It was already an old outdated concept in the origial trilogy...

There's a scientific explanation behind everything, EVERYTHING. Midi-Chlorians was a brillant idea, it was just George Lucas putting a name on the "thing".

It's like when scientific first discovered the subatomic particles, like electrons. They putted a name on the "thing".

But Midi-Chlorians is a concept much too scientific for normal people. It was a thing of Jedi, when the Jedi Order ruled over the galaxy.

It was already an old outdated concept in the origial trilogy...

Fanboy present!

Of all things to worry about, Midichlorians are the least of my worries. In fact, they don't bother me at all.

Karol

They did me. It was the equivalent of being told that Neo was merely One in a long and typical sequence of Ones. Way to bin your movie's strong mythological element.

I predict the conspicuous absence of the Trade Federation in the original trilogy would indicate they will return in the new trilogy as the evil masterminds behind everything that has ever occurred.

I learned on FB that Mark Hamill is 63, which was the age of Alec Guinness when he was filming Star Wars in 1977.

Time passes!

We had Guinness while the new generation will have Hamill.

I'll drink a Guinness while watching Hamill in Episiode VII.

I hope Abrams had the sense to include a scene featuring a vote of no-confidence in the New Republic's Chancellor.

It could look amazing with modern day computer graphics.

Do you think they will go a full circle and get back to trade route taxes in the very final Star Wars film? After all, this is what kicked off all this madness. Would be a nice bookend.

Karol

When the creator of the concept starts with "I'm assuming..." I take it as a very bad sign.

Hehe, I was there, got the t-shirt and... a harsh review of my paper :)

Do you think they will go a full circle and get back to trade route taxes in the very final Star Wars film? After all, this is what kicked off all this madness. Would be a nice bookend.

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Even something as simple as referring to SW as a "franchise" .

Try calling Indiana Jones a franchise at the The Raven boards.

Found the thread:

http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=23127

Why do certain people keep referring to the Indiana Jones theatrical film series as "the franchise"?confused.gif The misuse of this term has been noticeable since c.2007 and grown at an exponential rate ever since. Not only is the definition wrong, it's pretentious.

Franchise is all about rights, permission and privilege. The 'franchise to vote' is a right to vote. Sports team franchises pay money to be allowed entry into their respective leagues. The James Bond film franchise has the license to use Ian Fleming's character and stories. Don't get me started with McDonald's and other fast food chains...

The "Indy franchise" is NOT THE MOVIES (nor the TV show). The Bantam books are a franchise. The Marvel & Dark Horse comics are a franchise. The Mattel & Hasbro toys are a franchise, etc. because the character & branding were licensed by those 2nd party entities. This is not the case with the films. LUCASFILM OWNS INDIANA JONES (even if Disney now owns Lucasfilm) and do not need anyone's authorization to use the property. This is the distinction that many people fail to recognize when describing the 'Indy film series' as a franchise.