Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

i guess the creators stressing all the time about using practical effects, means automatically that they admit that CGI "is not good"?

No. It's just a marketing ploy used to reassure fans who kept on bashing the Prequels for overusing CGI. Nothing more. I doubt JJ or anyone else on the team think CG is not good.

i guess the creators stressing all the time about using practical effects, means automatically that they admit that CGI "is not good"?

No. It's just a marketing ploy used to reassure fans who kept on bashing the Prequels for overusing CGI. Nothing more. I doubt JJ or anyone else on the team think CG is not good.

Marketing ploy or not the film makers are heavily emphasising that they went back to an older film making mentality by using more real sets and practical effects (creatures etc) side by side with the CG as it is their belief this made the original trilogy so appealing because it gave it tangible solid reality sorely lacking in the all-CG enviroment of the Prequels where main cast obviously often just wandering in the green screen sets reacting to little tennis balls on a stick or people in blue gimp suits holding a marker.

Undoubtedly if CG had been available to Lucas in 1980s he would have used it extensively back then and when he was forced to settle for the special effects of the day, it actually gave the original movies a patina of believability and realism that most people felt lacking in Prequels scenes "where every frame has so much going on" but none of it actually feels very real.

I feel like filmmusic wants to believe that, because he would find comfort in knowing other people think like him when it comes to CG, that it's the devil's work and should be banned altogether from the cinema industry.

Ι don't need to find anyone, because I've already found many that share my views. :)

Anyway, besides that, even if CGI is used as a tool and in a very good way too, I still feel awe when I know something is tangible.

For example the crowd and sets in Cleopatra (1963) would still give me goosebumps and leave my mouth open, even compared to a contemporary film which used CGI crowd and sets and they were really good, but you know they just did it in the computer...

The former is what I call a FILM PRODUCTION, the latter is what I call a "make-it-quickly-and-cheap-to-get-on-with-it" film.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not saying that JJ using practical effects is a marketing ploy, rather that him and others working on the film overstressing the fact that they're using practical effects is, and that it doesn't mean in any way that they think CG isn't good.

I feel like filmmusic wants to believe that, because he would find comfort in knowing other people think like him when it comes to CG, that it's the devil's work and should be banned altogether from the cinema industry.

I think that, sure, JJ values practical effects over CG as he believes it gives the whole world a more tangible feel onscreen, etc. but also that he thinks CG has its place and can be a wonderful tool when used properly (and we've seen that there'll still be a lot of CG anyway).

That's it.

I thought I was saying that more or less. But yes we agree.

There will be, of course, more CGI than practical effects in TFA. But this marketing is tricking people into thinking it will mostly be practical effects. Kind in mind that the prequels (specifically TPM and AOTC) had A LOT of miniatures and practical effects. I was stunned to find out that the arena in AOTC was actually a miniature because it all looks CGI in the film to me. I'm not sure what they did to that film, but everything looks fake. Sometimes even the actors looked fake. Hopefully they'll find the right balance to make it all, at least, look believable in TFA. However, I'd take a good story over good effects any day. Having both would be ideal, though.

I'm sure this film will look fantastic. Question is, will the story and content back that up?

Agreed, that's my only concern. I have faith in the production design, special effects, directing, acting, and score. The story and dialogue is the unknown factor

It's pretty obvious who Kylo Ren and Rey are supposed to be. Finn... the only logical thought I had that could tie into anything previous was that he could be the illegitimate grandson of a certain potty-mouthed Jedi Master who fell to his death almost 60 years prior. Or they could go the crack route and it turns out he's Ackbar's son with Mon Mothma or something.

Nothing on Max von Sydow's character, though?

It's pretty obvious who Kylo Ren and Rey are supposed to be. Finn... the only logical thought I had that could tie into anything previous was that he could be the illegitimate grandson of a certain potty-mouthed Jedi Master who fell to his death almost 60 years prior. Or they could go the crack route and it turns out he's Ackbar's son with Mon Mothma or something.

Nothing on Max von Sydow's character, though?

I think Kylo is kind of obvious, but what about Rey? In terms of relations, I think there are a few possibilities for her. Again, talking about relations, there at least 4 possibilities for Finn, 3 of which would be highly unlikely. It seems the most likely would be a relative of Lando. Then again, I thought I read they weren't specifically casting a particular race for Finn. If that's the case, then his last name may not have anything to do with existing characters... unless if something changed story-wise since Boyega was cast.

Yup.

I'm sure this film will look fantastic. Question is, will the story and content back that up?

From what I've heard so far, I'm afraid the answer will be mostly no.

Toy Story 2 + more emotions. People really liked it (for some reason) and it was even nominated for some very high profile Oscars (for some reason)

The general outline of the story is pretty much A New Hope 2.0, which with Abrams should be fun in its own right but it's not really enough. Perhaps if Abrams really nails it in the characters/emotions department it'll work. After all, Toy Story 3 was little more than

Is that pic confirmed real?

It's been removed from many sites, so it's definitely real and wasnt meant to be seen.

Yes.

Lots of leaks recently. Wonder if we'll get anything from the score anytime soon...

That would be ideal but I imagine it's easier to leak a picture than sound or even video. It may also be easier to track down who leaked the music.

Yes.

Lots of leaks recently. Wonder if we'll get anything from the score anytime soon...

That would be ideal but I imagine it's easier to leak a picture than sound or even video. It may also be easier to track down who leaked the music.

ep7-26115-1377-1378-03_0_0.jpg

Can't wait to see what Williams has in store for this sequence.

That's what I was wondering when looking at this, the other pictures and teasers. How is Williams going to score these scenes?

I think it would be great to have something in the vein of The Last Crusade's "Escape From Venice" in that scene.

Am I the only one who thinks seeing a costume Luke will wear in the movie doesn't really spoil anything?

I mean, we saw a costume Han will be wearing when he showed up in the trailer. How is this different?

If it's not officially from Lucasfilm, it's not something they want us to see. Specifically at this point, they have avoided showing Luke at all in any of the footage or pictures. I'm guessing they want his first appearance, whether it be in the final trailer or in the film itself, to be something special or magical for the viewer.

If it's not officially from Lucasfilm, it's not something they want us to see. Specifically at this point, they have avoided showing Luke at all in any of the footage or pictures. I'm guessing they want his first appearance, whether it be in the final trailer or in the film itself, to be something special or magical for the viewer.

That's my stance as well. I'll only take a look at what Lucasfilm releases oficially. I trust their criteria

Uh huh.

Too broad a definition. I rather believe that anything that gives away a significant plot twist is a spoiler.

Leaked set pics tell me nothing.

"Anything not officially released" is the most narrow/specific definition of spoilers there is - any other definition involves the judgment of the person sharing them, which may not align with everybody else.

Uh huh.

Too broad a definition. I rather believe that anything that gives away a significant plot twist is a spoiler.

Leaked set pics tell me nothing.

"Anything not officially released" is the most narrow/specific definition of spoilers there is - any other definition involves the judgment of the person sharing them, which may not align with everybody else.

I've seen people fret about glancing at some background character's name in an early cast list for AOTC and panicking that the whole movie has been ruined for them.

If learning that Luke has certain fashion preferences

as a

Jedi is a "spoiler" for some people, they need to get some perspective.

Just because you don't want to know something doesn't mean that it will ruin the whole movie for you.

I follow enough Star Wars fans on Twitter that I've seen some things I'd rather not have seen, and I'm sure I'll see more as we get closer to the release date. I'm glad that whoever posted the pic above, put it in spoiler tags as a base level of consideration for those who don't want to see it. Nobody loses in that scenario.