Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

A thread for people who readily like to be spoiled is pretty depressing but I suppose that's the way people are these days. It's all instant gratification, entitlement and then very vocal disappointment. Which I translate in moronic stupidity.

I don't see a big difference personally between putting stuff in spoiler tags vs. having separate threads, but if the four extra clicks it takes to spoiler mask something are straining somebody's carpal tunnel, maybe a separate thread is for the best.

Research shows that, in general, people like to be spoiled and know what happens before it happens. Some people don't like the element of surprise. Personally, I don't mind leaked pictures because they generally don't reveal much about the plot. And, so far, Disney/Lucasfilm has already shown us what was leaked beforehand and has shown us more. What I really don't want to know right now is the specific story. But after seeing the teasers and other promotional material, you can figure out the general story line if you think about it. As far as the Luke picture, I doubt they are going to wait until the film to reveal him. I have a feeling they want to save Luke's official reveal for the upcoming trailer, which is why the leaked picture is getting removed everywhere. There is a lot of mystery surrounding Luke right now.

I don't see a big difference personally between putting stuff in spoiler tags vs. having separate threads, but if the four extra clicks it takes to spoiler mask something are straining somebody's carpal tunnel, maybe a separate thread is for the best.

I think it may just simplify things because people are posting spoilers here without realizing they need to tag them. The thread isn't labeled as a designated "non-spoiler" or "spoiler" thread. And those who don't want spoilers won't have to worry about inadvertently coming across a spoiler in a non-spoiler thread.

It's not four extra clicks for me. I actually have to type it out on my phone.

Which can lead to incidents like this:

Chewie dies![/spioler]

Yeah, it sucks. I haven't liked any of Struzan's modern art. I'm kinda like over his style, which has become very samey. If that's the poster, be it teaser or theatrical, holy shit. That should be nothing more than the cover of a comic adaptation, or a trading card. Her staff (or rifle, or whatever that is) and the two lightsabers lined up like that at a crooked angle is such fugly design.

The more exciting or at least interesting news is that this will be built at Disneyland and Walt Disney World:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/08/star-wars-themed-lands-coming-to-walt-disney-world-and-disneyland-resorts/

That poster looks like it was created by someone who can't draw straight. Everything is tilting the same way except the Star Wars logo. I do like the visual division between "light" and "dark" though. Maybe it'd be better if the whole thing weren't leaning to one side?

Her staff (or rifle, or whatever that is) and the two lightsabers lined up like that at a crooked angle is such fugly design.

This.

but it also has a binary star system?

Three is not Binary.

Didn't see that one in the lower left. They'll just keeping adding them in the subsequent trilogies. Can't wait for the 6th set of films when they have the main character living in a 6 star steller system like Asimov's "Nightfall"

I'm not sure how obvious this is, but in that poster Finn appears to be using the lightsaber Luke lost with his hand in ESB (i.e. Anakin/Vader's original), which I think is also the same lightsaber handed to Leia(?) in the second trailer.

I also see reported here that this poster was created solely for D23, and that Struzan will create another "primary" poster for the film (hopefully one with straight lines!).

The frowning girl is struck right down the middle between the light on the left and the dark (temptation!) on the right. But why the feck is trampy (forget "scruffy") lookin' Ford in the dark[side]?

It would have been better if Ford wasn't there. I bet my money on that he wasn't originally and studio demanded it. He's just so awkwardly placed.

Karol

So what do we know about this movie?

It's going to have battles, ships flying through space, lightsabre fights, talkie scenes about Force mysticism, the droids will conveniently manifest when the plot requires them, bad guy music will play when bad guys are on screen, a variety of screenwipes and dissolves will link every scene, someone will say "I got a bad feeling about this".

Did I just spoil the movie?

It would have been better if Ford wasn't there. I bet my money on that he wasn't originally and studio demanded it. He's just so awkwardly placed.

Karol

It kinda does look like he was hastily pasted over what was a design with just the newbies.

The frowning girl is struck right down the middle between the light on the left and the dark (temptation!) on the right. But why the feck is trampy (forget "scruffy") lookin' Ford in the dark[side]?

Because he shot first.

A slightly oddly arranged, hand-drawn, illustrated, composed poster is still a thousand leagues beyond what passes for "movie posters" nowadays. The numbskulls complaining about this one are probably the same types that bitch and moan about Photoshopped floating heads on solid white backgrounds, which is essentially what modern film posters have disintegrated into.

A slightly oddly arranged, hand-drawn, illustrated, composed poster is still a thousand leagues beyond what passes for "movie posters" nowadays. The numbskulls complaining about this one are probably the same types that bitch and moan about Photoshopped floating heads on solid white backgrounds, which is essentially what modern film posters have disintegrated into.

Solo looks hangover on this poster.

I have no complaints with movie posters today. Heck, most movies today have a multitude of different designs. It's hard to figure out which poster is the main one (if there still is such a thing as a main film poster).