Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

AotC must be more than 1920X1080...that's HD for a TV screen but you'd see the pixels on a cinema screen

AOTC was shot in 2001 using a digital camera that recorded in 1920x1080. That's a cold hard fact!

This was before RED cameras and other modern digital cameras existed, mind you!

Anyways, it was transferred to 35mm film for screenings, though there was also a limited number of digital screenings too.

ah ok., there's a re-transfer to film

What I meant is that the movie doesn't look like a home video on YouTube shot on a cheap camera from Best buy

This was before RED cameras and other modern digital cameras existed, mind you!

Anyways, it was transferred to 35mm film for screenings, though there was also a limited number of digital screenings too.

Yes, Sony and Panavision made tailor-made cameras and lenses for Lucas, all based on his wishes and desires.

Yea, the cameras and lenses were all top notch stuff totally appropriate for a big budget film - the only issue is that the "negative" is 1920x1080, always and forever.

I think Daniel Mindel mentioned the actual film stock they'll be using on Episode VII,

What was it? If it's a modern fine grain/low contrast stock and the film will still be graded to buggery, then the choice of film over digital is pointless - except as a marketting gimmick to win back fans of the OT. That's what I suspect it really is.

Yes. The desktop version of the site has the same feature, the little icon to the left of the thread title.

wow I just found out

:blink: What did you guys THINK that icon was for???

It's a staple of every single message board software I've EVER used (except for FSM's, of course)

I think Daniel Mindel mentioned the actual film stock they'll be using on Episode VII,

What was it? If it's a modern fine grain/low contrast stock and the film will still be graded to buggery, then the choice of film over digital is pointless - except as a marketting gimmick to win back fans of the OT. That's what I suspect it really is.

Episode VII will be shot on Kodak Vision3 500T 5219 (source).

I dunno, some decoration. I never noticed it actually

Well it'll be easier to follow the movie thread now

Dude, it will change your life on every single message board you read!

Seriously - people didn't know this!?

Episode VII will be shot on Kodak Vision3 500T 5219 (source).

Shit. So basically it'll look no more like the original trilogy than TO ROME WITH LOVE, MARGIN CALL, THE IRONY LADY and THE DARK KNIGHT RISES.

I expect it'll look more like Star Trek into Darkness than Star Wars.

Also, if they'd really want that film look back in the cinemas, they'd go the extra mile and ditribute 35mm prints to the theatres that still have old fashioned film projectors (which would actually be incredibly expensive to do, so they won't).

I'm tired of digital cinema projection. Bring back the magic of film into the cinema!

Everyone's so cynical nowadays!

No. Just me.

Everyone's so cynical nowadays!

That's because there's a lot to be cynical about.