Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

"The Empire Strikes Back" is probably the corniest of the six, by today's standards. If they announced a similar title for VII, people would tear it apart. It's like one step removed from "Luke Saves the Day."

The people who would tear it apart would be mostly male nerds whose sole raison d'etre is to bicker over fucking subtitles of genre movies.

"The Empire Strikes Back" is probably the corniest of the six, by today's standards. If they announced a similar title for VII, people would tear it apart. It's like one step removed from "Luke Saves the Day."

The people who would tear it apart would be mostly male nerds whose sole raison d'etre is to bicker over fucking subtitles of genre movies.

That's really all I meant by it. Is there anybody else in the world who complains about movie titles, anyway?

I'm betting they're shooting Han's death scene first!

Greedo's grandson will shoot first this time!

Looks like a cross between TeraSinubeDetail-SWE.pngand Yak Face

i think it is the 1st one.

Way of implementing TCW canon into the new films...

The film is going to look like the phantom menace SFX wise. Though the CGI will be decades better. Which is not bad isnt it?

This looks like fucking Dark Crystal! Ugh!

Now make sure you harvest every ounce of pre release information, leaks and preview footage while posting countless speculative posts in the many months ahead and then of course your eventual lengthy and thorough reactions after seeing it.

So in the end...isnt it ironic that a new Star Wars film is going to have the 'lets use muppets and not CGI everywhere' sentiment that the hobbit was going to have with Del Toro?

This looks like fucking Dark Crystal! Ugh!

Now make sure you harvest every ounce of pre release information, leaks and preview footage while posting countless speculative posts in the many months ahead and then of course your eventual lengthy and thorough reactions after seeing it.

ROTFLMAO

So in the end...isnt it ironic that a new Star Wars film is going to have the 'lets use muppets and not CGI everywhere' sentiment that the hobbit was going to have with Del Toro?

Indeed.

That's not irony.

But puppets and animatronics are a lost art. Everyone who knew how to make them properly is dead. They should use CGI

maybe JJ was standing in front of a giant green screen and the whole background is fake

That's not irony.

It is... from a certain point of view.

Cc8DFke.jpg

It's ironic, because SW under George lucas was always driving on the contrary direction, and people always liked PJ's LOTR (and del toro's ideas for the hobbit) for not using so much needless CGI.

And then PJ's hobbit happened and JJ's Star wars is happening...

Who knows GL can still return and wreck it all again :P

I have wondered, with all of the recent advances in technology that seem to be all about new digital techniques, have prosthetics improved at all? Have we been able to produce more realistic models or have advances just helped reduce the cost of things. Or is there no real change since there has been little development in the field?

Development in the world of practical effects definitely seems relatively slow these days...but then again, when the design and execution are sufficiently brilliant, there really isn't that much room for improvement anyhow. I mean, you can go all the way back to, say, the mine car chase in TOD, and there are miniature VFX shots in there that pretty much look indistinguishable from reality. I mean, there's also some bad bluescreen matte work and some pretty poor continuity when it comes to the speeds of the mine carts, mostly when switching between miniature shots, bluescreen shots, and conventional live action shots. But there are moments in that sequence in which there really is no room for improvement. I'd say the same goes for some of the practical dino shots in JP, for instance.

Then again, theme parks continue to show slow but steady improvement in the quality of animatronic figures. At Disneyland, for example, there are recent developments like the cars in Radiator Springs Racers or the latest incarnation of Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln. These are extremely impressive machines that are capable of highly realistic motion. In fact, they're often toned down from their full capabilities, in order to reduce wear and tear while they perform 12-16 hours every day for decades on end. When shooting a film, you don't have the same concerns...the figure just has to work for the duration of production.

I wish a lot of film makers would return back to physical models and only use CGI when necessary. A lot of CGI does look fake, especially for ships. I mean grant CGI material has come along way but it doesn't hold up to the beauty of a physical model IE: The Millennium Falcon and Super Stardestroyer.

Looks like a cross between TeraSinubeDetail-SWE.pngand Yak Face

i think it is the 1st one.

Way of implementing TCW canon into the new films...

The film is going to look like the phantom menace SFX wise. Though the CGI will be decades better. Which is not bad isnt it?

Yes, visually TPM is the closest comparison I think. It's exactly what I thought when I saw the video.

I like the fact that everyone assumes the merchant alien that waddles past Abrams is part of the movie. How do we know it's not just a get-up made specifically for the trailer, to incite online conversation for the next 19 months or so? I mean, are the red four door behind the tent and the woman with a fanny pack who appears at the very end going to be in the movie too?

I don't really see why it wouldn't be in the movie, but I'll be surprised if it's more than just something that passes by in the background.

Honestly, that's exactly what I expect it to be for. Looks like alien crowd filler for a marketplace. Something like that doesn't need to be front and center or attract attention.

Oh god people are already dissecting and whining about the bleedin' special effects and creature designs in this thing. This video is a well meant little introduction to the production from its excited new director, little else. Get a life!

I agree with the comment above that says that particular creature is charming background filler. But noooooooo, the geeks online are displeased because the alien being is OBVIOUSLY supposed to be a major new character who is a fucking Jedi.

I thought it was very well done, but I wonder, will this be a creature-heavy movie? Is this what the fans of Star Wars want?