Is John Williams a Hans Zimmer Fan?

BLUMENKOHL

Is John Williams a Hans Zimmer fan?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Is he?

• Yes
    • Yes

I feel like JW has complimented every young and old composer. I've never heard him critical of anyone's music. And there are usually stories of him calling composers who win oscars and congratulating them. I know he called Thomas Newman after his first win and wrote a letter to Hans Zimmer before the release of Man of Steel. But what that says about his taste in music, who knows?

The real answer to this is, of course, that being such a keen musical mind, he recognizes and enjoys anything where real thought, passion, and craft are at work.  So naturally, if he's heard any of Zimmer's best, I'm sure he's a fan and appreciates what he does for the art. 

The better question is how much new film music he is regularly exposed to.  Musical isolation is more prized among Hollywood composers than you might think. 

Everyone will have a different opinion, but I apprecaite Williams' experience and methods of musical intonation and creation way more than Zimmer's. Williams is a pioneer whereas Zimmer is... well, I don't really know what to call Zimmer anymore after the upset of Dubstep in TASM2. I really liked Interstellar, though. 

But Williams will always be my favourite <3

He's very good at basing an entire score around a singular musical idea or texture, I'll give him that. The Joker motif in TDK, the siren in Inception.

29 minutes ago, Zaralyth said:

well, I don't really know what to call Zimmer anymore after the upset of Dubstep in TASM2.

Still a pioneer, since that was pretty pioneering?

Just now, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Still a pioneer, since that was pretty pioneering?

I don't know, I couldn't find the right words to use, I'd call it something else, since dubstep isn't really an original concept, Zimmer didn't pioneer dubstep, I guess, is how I am seeing it. 

9 minutes ago, Zaralyth said:

I don't know, I couldn't find the right words to use, I'd call it something else, since dubstep isn't really an original concept, Zimmer didn't pioneer dubstep, I guess, is how I am seeing it. 

In film music, he did.

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Zimmer was never a pioneer, musically.

In film music, he is.

What an unfair voting system.

That being said, with the exception of a few films (and plenty more exceptions at the scene level), the two composers are almost diametric in terms of orchestration and instrumentation.

I never said that Williams couldn't like Zimmer's music, or vice versa. Of course they can like each other's music. They're free agents.

Now if only we can find a quote of Zimmer liking Williams' music.

Hence my "so?"  I could only assume that's what you were getting at, otherwise it's a bit of a non-sequitur. 

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

He's very good at basing an entire score around a singular musical idea or texture, I'll give him that. The Joker motif in TDK, the siren in Inception.

Neither of those scores is based around those single ideas.  

You should consult some thematic guides to his scores, of which this forum may have a few. 

1 hour ago, publicist said:

Be that as it may, i cannot see Williams watching recent movies, let alone listening to film scores. 

Me too. On the other hand I find it striking that Williams started using minimalism in A.I. the year after The Matrix, used wailing woman a few years after all the others and is now composing some action music in a style that remotely reminds me of Zimmer, e.g. The Duel in Tintin reminds me of Pirates of the Carabean. But probably it is all in my head...

55 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Neither of those scores is based around those single ideas.  

You should consult some thematic guides to his scores, of which this forum may have a few. 

Nah, having listened to these scores I'm perfectly happy with my own interpretation of Zimmer's writing.

38 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

There are no themes in those scores. Just chords and chords!

Nothing wrong with athematic writing; Zimmer does present some interesting ideas in most of his scores.

Williams is always kind and diplomatic about other composers' work. The only time I remembered he declared having a preference of one over the other was an interview, a couple of years ago, when he said he liked to return to a more essential musical idiom, and that he enjoyed studying a Mozart work over, for example, an Elliott Carter opera.

35 minutes ago, Romão said:

At an Oscars luncheon a while back (I think it was when he was nominated for War Horse and Tintin), he praised Danna's work on Life of Pi

Life of Pi is an exceptional score and I'm looking forward to hearing what he did on The Good Dinosaur.

It'd be great to know what Williams does when he isn't writing concert pieces or film scores. Does he regularly listen to the work of other modern day film composers? Does he rely more on classical pieces from the likes of Mozart or Beethoven?

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

He's a fine pop musician and producer. He isn't much of a composer.

Apparently he's got dubstep down pat, as well.

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

You're a fine pop poster, but not much of a post composer.

You will never touch Incanus, Marcus, and TheGreyPilgrim.

4 minutes ago, Lhokne Mulb said:

You're a fine pop poster, but not much of a post composer.

You will never touch Incanus, Marcus, and TheGreyPilgrim.

XRLQW.gif

I'd probably rank my posting talent equivalent to John Debney or Joel Mcneely. I can mimic the more complex post structure of the greats, but with far less heart, skill, and soul. 

I think your short three word sentences do grow tiresome. So amateurish. But you don't have a classical training in English. But what can you expect from a pop poster?

Steef's latest major work is basically pop saccharine, pulling on every obvious cheap musical trick in the book. His use of minor triad emotional chords "I've got MS/I may be dying" is just so simple and expected. Doesn't show a lot of structural thought, just emotional punch after punch. Satisfying to read in the moment, but leaves one hollow in the long term. It's really geared towards today's impulsive, instant gratification youth.

Though I do give him credit for at least attempting to lead up indirectly to the emotion by making his thread start with "I need music for an MRI" instead of a more pedestrian and usual blunt "I'm dying, cry for me."

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Attempts at humour?

Interesting, can anyone do a syllabic breakdown of this?

My ear is telling me it's a 5-syllabic motif, with the "at" syllable forming a fulcrum around which the sentence balances, but again, it's just such an overused sentence progression. 

Theres no subject to go with the predicate. And the use of a question mark within that concept just doesn't sound right to my ears. He just keeps writing this amateurish garbage. And people eat it up. 

21 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Why the distinction? I thought you were ardently against artificial constructs?