What Live To Projection concerts have you seen and not seen?

Jay

5 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

How many LTP concerts have I not seen?

All of them :lol:

Same here but I am quite keen to try one. Depending on the film, it's potentially a lot of live music to enjoy in one sitting, which is quite economical I guess.

Symphony Hall and the CBSO host a number of them a year here in Birmingham. I'll have to look what's coming up.

• 3 weeks later...

This was my first time. But ESB is such a great movie that I sometimes got sucked in and forgot to pay attention to the orchestra. And unfortunately, it was sometimes drowned out by the loud sound effects, which was disappointing. I paid to hear the orchestra, not laser blasts!

IMG_1827.jpeg

4 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

Snap

I wanted to be right next to the orchestra so I could just watch them. Everyone around me had their necks twisted looking up at the screen from a horrible angle. I'm not kidding when I say that the only times I looked at the screen were when they stopped playing music for a few seconds here and there haha. I always think that if I wanted to watch the film, I'd do it at home. I'm there for the orchestra.

20230923_132956.jpg

The films at home don't have restored score, or new music.

4 hours ago, Tom said:

Ben Burtt says hello.  

Yes, and it can be bruising to a composer's ego, as Williams has said!

On 25/09/2023 at 7:36 AM, Mr. Hooper said:

Yes, and it can be bruising to a composer's ego, as Williams has said!

I was surprised how quiet the sound effects were for The Two Towers concert. They were very low. Only the dialogue was featured.

On 27/9/2023 at 6:36 PM, leeallen01 said:

I was surprised how quiet the sound effects were for The Two Towers concert. They were very low. Only the dialogue was featured.

That's the right way to do it. Let the sound effects take a backseat to the music for a change.

True. 

For general films in concert it's definitely majority normies who don't care about the score really, they're just doing a special expensive cinema trip, but I was surprised with LOTR last week. I heard many conversations and comments around me of people talking about very in-depth LOTR stuff, such as the extended edition differences and general comments about the power of the music etc.

I was surprised that when Aragorn kicks the helmet and shouts, there was a noticable chuckle of laughter around the Royal Albert Hall crowd, which showed they really know their stuff about LOTR in general and all the behind the scenes DVD stuff (because as we all know, Viggo broke his toe kicking the helmet).

12 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

I was surprised that when Aragorn kicks the helmet and shouts, there was a noticable chuckle of laughter around the Royal Albert Hall crowd, which showed they really know their stuff about LOTR in general and all the behind the scenes DVD stuff (because as we all know, Viggo broke his toe kicking the helmet).

It's become a bit of a meme these days. I've seen it on FB a couple of times.

On 29/09/2023 at 12:43 AM, Mr. Hooper said:

That's the right way to do it. Let the sound effects take a backseat to the music for a change.

Ben Burtt has left the chat.

On 2/9/2023 at 2:34 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

How many LTP concerts have I not seen?

All of them :lol:

4 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

How many have I not seen? All of them :lol:

And it bears repeating! 😄

Jaws would be next for me too, but hopefully the audience won't be giggling every time the shark raises its snout! That was a problem for me during last year's IMAX re-release...but I was lucky to catch an afternoon showing that was empty and got a private screening, which was awesome.

• 3 weeks later...

I got an email earlier they are doing discounted price on Psycho in Nottingham on Halloween night if you use PSYCHOFLASH code. I had no idea this was even happening. £17 instead of £50?!? Even if the performance is not that good, it's still a bargain. :)

Karol

• 2 weeks later...

So far, I've been to these:

The Kid

The Gold Rush

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (twice)

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (once, but I already have tickets for another performance in Antwerp next year)

Titanic

West Side Story

Gladiator

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope

Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back

Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

Jurassic Park

Predictably, PotC was the weakest of the bunch. They're doing Dead Man's Chest in The Netherlands this Christmas, but I can't really be bothered. At World's End could be good live, though.

The final thirty minutes of RotJ is madness for the orchestra to play in one go. Really impressive! T-Rex Rescue and Finale also sounded like quite the workout.

On my wishlist are:

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

How to Train Your Dragon

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial

and a few Potters could be fun.

Didn't they also do The Matrix and Independence Day at the RAH at some point? Those would be sweet to hear live too.

1 hour ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Didn't they also do The Matrix and Independence Day at the RAH at some point? Those would be sweet to hear live too.

The RAH did them both.

Independence Day in 2016.  Read the thread on that.

The Matrix in 2011.  Here's the thread for that.

They were supposed to be doing another The Matrix conducted by Davis himself at RAH a couple of years ago but it was cancelled due to Covid. Fingers crossed they will announce it again. I've seen it 10 years ago and it was great.

Karol

Yea I'd love to see THe Matrix live

IIRC, they play Davis' full finale cue instead of cutting to the Rage Against The Machine song

15 hours ago, Jay said:

Wow, Titanic, that must have been a super long concert.  Was it worth it?

It was worth it just to hear "Hard to Starboard!" and The Sinking live.

I loveTitanic, btw, and I never feel the movie's 3h14m running time. That film flies by.

In fact, I would argue the LotR concerts are much more intense (for the orchestra in particular), as those films also clock in at 3 hours and there are some significant stretches without score in Titanic, which there aren't in Lord of the Rings. And at 3h20m, the theatrical cut of RotK is even longer than Titanic

13 hours ago, Jay said:

IIRC, they play Davis' full finale cue instead of cutting to the Rage Against The Machine song

That sounds amazing.

I've been really into the Matrix scores lately, after finally picking up the expanded sequel releases. But I love how wild the original is too. I just can't think of any other action film that has ever dares to sound like that.

13 hours ago, Jay said:

Yea I'd love to see THe Matrix live

That's right but it also means you hear it twice - last scene and the very end of the end credits (like it does in the actual film). And the end credits roll also consist from selections of score segments. I remember that Ontological Shock was one of the cues reprised there.

Karol

2 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

It was worth it just to hear "Hard to Starboard!" and The Sinking live.

I loveTitanic, btw, and I never feel the movie's 3h14m running time. That film flies by.

In fact, I would argue the LotR concerts are much more intense (for the orchestra in particular), as those films also clock in at 3 hours and there are some significant stretches without score in Titanic, which there aren't in Lord of the Rings. And at 3h20m, the theatrical cut of RotK is even longer than Titanic

Is Titanic significantly re-arranged to use the orchestra more widely relative to the original score? Hope they do it sometime as I know my other half in particular would love to see it with the orchestra and I'd always enjoy watching a James Horner score performed live even if I secretly wished it were Star Trek 2 or Krull...

Speaking of Star Trek, I am absolutely shocked no one has done the first two already. The first film, that being theatrical or director's version, is made for this kind of an experience. I would be there in a heartbeat.

And they need to do Poltergeist too. Absolute must. And Total Recall. And Basic Instinct. I believe they only ever did Planet of the Apes as far as Goldsmith is concerned.

Karol

3 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Is Titanic significantly re-arranged to use the orchestra more widely relative to the original score?

I really couldn't tell you, to be honest. This was back in 2017 and I'm not that proficient at hearing the differences. "It sounded the same to me" is as far as I can get... 

Although that performance did feature a choir that replaced all of the synth choir from the original score.

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

Speaking of Star Trek, I am absolutely shocked no one has done the first two already. The first film, that being theatrical or director's version, is made for this kind of an experience. I would be there in a heartbeat.

And they need to do Poltergeist too. Absolute must. And Total Recall. And Basic Instinct. I believe they only ever did Planet of the Apes as far as Goldsmith is concerned.

Karol

Jerry Goldsmith is disturbingly absent from pretty much every film music program I've seen since bloody Úbeda. It's disconcerning, to be honest. Such a legacy going to waste.

I really couldn't tell you, to be honest. This was back in 2017 and I'm not that proficient at hearing the differences. "It sounded the same to me" is as far as I can get... 

Although that performance did feature a choir that replaced all of the synth choir from the original score.

No worries, will just have to hear for myself!

Jerry Goldsmith is disturbingly absent from pretty much every film music program I've seen since bloody Úbeda. It's disconcerning, to be honest. Such a legacy going to waste.

Agreed, but guess few of the films he scored have long lasting recognition that would entire more casual viewers - I guess something like Gremlins would work or one of his Star Trek scores (First Contact feels the most likely although TMP is clearly the obvious choice). There are plenty others that would be amazing live but without the recognition he has with the wider public that JW or James Horner have, as well the plentiful famous films they scored too, I can see why it might be a tough sell unfortunately. On the flip side, I don't think Michael Giacchino is especially well known by the public, but he's score an astonishing number of high profile films in almost every conceivable genre.

On 31/10/2023 at 7:25 PM, Mr. Breathmask said:

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

They are doing The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King in the RAH in London next year!

• 2 weeks later...

Something for us, yanks--Auditorium Philms Concert Series

https://auditoriumtheatre.org/subscription-packages/auditorium-philms-concert-series/

Untitled.png

Hopefully, a new beginning in getting LTP concerts that have been played only in Europe to come to America. 

Wow, Bram Stoker's Dracula! I'm a big fan of Wojciech Kilar's score, and the love theme in particular is sublime. Wish I was in Chicago!

* Bernstein's West Side Story

* Eisenstein's Battleship Potemkin (featuring music by Shostakovich)

* Williams: Raiders of the Lost Ark

* Williams: E.T.

* Williams: Superman

* Williams: Jurassic Park

I haven't seen any of the Star Wars LTP yet.

Top Gun: Maverick in concert? Did anyone ask for this?

The LSO doing Raiders? You guys are getting spoiled over there!

I've seen these so far in Austin, TX...

SW A New Hope

Close Encounters

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Back to the Future

E.T.

Plus, going to see Home Alone on December 14th!

• 2 months later...

On 25/09/2023 at 6:18 PM, LB Makes Stuff said:

I have a question:

Has anyone’s local symphonies / orchestras done more than just one “performance” of Raiders (or any other film for that matter)? As in, have they done it one year, then did it again a few years later? The JSO did it back in 2018, but haven’t done it again since.

On 26/09/2023 at 12:00 PM, SyncMan said:

My guess is that an orchestra will  rebook an LTP concert if it meets the following criteria:

• If it did well the first time
  • If a new film in the franchise is being released into theaters during the orchestra's fiscal-year (between Sept and August), like an Indiana Jones, or a Star Wars, or a Jurassic, etc.

Here is a current example of the first criteria.  The outdoor venue, Wolf Trap in Virginia, VA, has just announced that they will be doing the LTP concert of SW:ANH LTP, again, this summer.  They have first done it back in September 2021--less than 3 years ago.  
https://www.wolftrap.org/calendar/performance/24filene/0713show24.aspx#datetime=07132024T200000

They did ESB in 2022 and ROTJ in 2023, but instead of doing TFA, I guess they are playing it safe and going back to doing ANH. Anyways, @BobaMike might appreciate this news.

My point, @LB Makes Stuff, is that since your orchestra did the Raiders rental (owned at the time by FCL) over 6 years ago; with that rental now owned by Disney ; and with some 4 USA orchestras already booked this Disney rental for the new year, there is a possibility that your orchestra will rent Raiders again this year, as they do 3 LTP concerts per season.

On 02/11/2023 at 6:42 AM, crocodile said:

I HATE these things. But if they did The Motion Picture or even The Wrath of Khan (or The Search for Spock for that matter - NEVER going to happen) I would crawl over glass to get tickets.

• 1 month later...

Only seen ROTJ at the RAH which was an incredible experience. Got my ticket for Ghostbusters in October. Might have to go in my jumpsuit sans equipment. Haven't read anything on the LTP for this and while I assume it won't restore any of Bernsteins score that was replaced I'm still looking forward to the orchestra performing this iconic score. 

https://tickets.phoenixsymphony.org/Online/default.asp?BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::permalink=Films3&BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::context_id=

Phoenix Symphony is doing Star Wars this weekend.  Really tempted to go to it; I've never been to an LTP before.

EDIT: Just bought the tickets!  Super-excited for this! :D

On 30/1/2024 at 5:36 PM, SyncMan said:

My point, @LB Makes Stuff, is that since your orchestra did the Raiders rental (owned at the time by FCL) over 6 years ago; with that rental now owned by Disney ; and with some 4 USA orchestras already booked this Disney rental for the new year, there is a possibility that your orchestra will rent Raiders again this year, as they do 3 LTP concerts per season.

Sorry I missed this, but thanks for letting me know how this stuff works. I’m looking forward to when they announce the next schedule now.

On 10/3/2024 at 3:09 PM, ThePenitentMan1 said:

https://tickets.phoenixsymphony.org/Online/default.asp?BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::permalink=Films3&BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::context_id=

Phoenix Symphony is doing Star Wars this weekend.  Really tempted to go to it; I've never been to an LTP before.

EDIT: Just bought the tickets!  Super-excited for this! :D

At Symphony Hall now!  Looking forward to the performance!