SPOILER TALK: Rogue One by Gareth Edwards

Jay

On 12/17/2016 at 11:31 AM, Blumenkohl said:

It was rather upsetting how pleased with herself Leia looked when she got the plans. 

Like...Jesus Christ woman, a bunch of people just got slaughtered...

I couldn't work out exactly why I hated that ending, but I think you nailed it. We go through the whole film with these characters who all get slaughtered after their heroics -- then the film ends with completely unrelated fanservice, with characters who have nothing to do with the main storyline.

That we finish with Leia of all characters just compounds things -- she never appears anywhere else in the story, and the final shot is just her smiling at the camera like a giddy schoolgirl saying, "Hope." Cringe!

At least have the character appear at one of the Rebel briefings so it's not so jarring.

The question is whether they can come up with a storyline that actually serves the character. As written by Lucas, he's such a boring character in the prequels (but still the most interesting of a boring bunch of dullards).

2 hours ago, karelm said:

Saw the movie last night and really enjoyed it.  I thought the last act was excellent and especially enjoyed that intense last minute (from vader through to the end credit). I wonder how they got the voices of CGI Leia and Tarkin.  The fan service worked for me including some of the SW secondary characters and the CGI cast.  I liked how slowly it took Jyn to come around to the rebel and also how undisciplined the rebellion felt in act 2, like it was barely hanging together until the act 3 heroics.  Very enjoyable movie and a very good entry to the movie series.  Made me want to see A New Hope right away.

Leia is obviously the word "hope" isolated from "Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope."

Tarkin's voice was provided by the actor who did the mocap. It's not the best Tarkin impression but it passes. 

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Do you know that the actor who did the mocap also did you voice? Or is it an assumption?

I cant think of his name right now but he was Pius Thickness in Harry Potter and it sounds like a match to me. 

There's also no voice actor listed for him in the credits. 

23 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

I cant think of his name right now but he was Pius Thickness in Harry Potter and it sounds like a match to me. 

There's also no voice actor listed for him in the credits. 

You are talking about Guy Henry.

Difficult to say if he was also doing the voice. He certainly has that dry aristocratic British voice but it is not close to Peter Cushing's voice.

Watched the film twice this weekend! I did quite like it; lots of cool stuff. But it isn't going to win any awards for "best film".

Indeed the emotional impact of the film was far less than it could have been for reasons already mentioned.

My suspicion is that was on purpose to make it more kid-friendly. You should have seen the number of small little kiddies in the cinema today!

I doubt they could've coped with the film that they probably originally had in mind.

Would be interesting if they'd make a "10+ director's cut" some time.

I like that they compensated for The Force Awakens' lack of a proper space battle. This one WAS cool! :D

It is quite easy to heap criticism on this film, because it clearly isn't perfect.

The same applied very much to The Force Awakens though, which seemed to have been fairly highly praised.

For all the faults with this film, I do enjoy it and appreciate it.

It adds some cool new universe to the previous films and doesn't really detract from what went before.

So I'd consider it a success, even if it isn't a win of epic proportions.

On 14-12-2016 at 5:05 PM, BloodBoal said:

They did absolutely nothing to put you in the mood, to slowly help you enter into the film. It's just "BAM!" shot of a planet, and ship flying towards it, and the story begins.

That is indeed quite exactly how the film starts. They must have deliberately wanted it that way.

Not sure I'm sold on that approach, really. But it sure WAS different from the main Episodes, so they accomplished at least that....

On 14-12-2016 at 6:35 PM, Thor said:

I like the way they introduce Tarkin -- with the back against the camera, and we outline his features as reflected in the window. But if they really wanted to have him as a central character (which they did), they should have let him be in the shadows or otherwise obscured.

The way I saw it, they wanted audience members to think all they'd ever see is his back and his shadows.

And then.... "BAM!", he's right there in front of you! Must've been a way also to prepare the audience for young Leia showing up at the very end.

They probably thought they could pull it off and, near as I can tell, the two people I watched the film with didn't notice anything wrong there.

I myself though am less convinced, but I wonder if that is because I KNEW it couldn't be real or if it was REALLY not convincing....

On 14-12-2016 at 5:05 PM, BloodBoal said:

A rather bland villain.

Villain was entertaining, rather than pure nasty evil.

Of course, already having Darth Vader and Tarkin in the film, how would you make your third villain hold up compared to them?

On 15-12-2016 at 2:01 PM, BloodBoal said:

General Draven: "Forgery of Imperial documents, possession of stolen property, aggravated assault, resisting arrest..."

That is in there, no?

K2SO: [...] I will not kill you."

Second bit is in there.

Saw Gerrera (present day): "Save the Rebellion. Save the dream."

Doesn't he say that just before (uselessly) dying?

On 15-12-2016 at 6:11 PM, Quintus said:

What was the big twist supposed to be in this movie? I kept reading about how there was supposed to be a shocker in it. Didn't happen. 

Probably Princess Leia being SHOWN on screen as her young self.

I wonder. If you were just an average movie goer, who hadn't seen Star Wars in years and didn't really know who Peter Cushing was and that he ever was in Star Wars, would the mocap version stand out in any way?

I mean anyone here knows a thing or two about Star Wars and knows the actor playing Tarkin is long dead. So when he appears on screen we know it's a trick. Would someone who doesn't know that be fooled?

@BloodBoal, where WAS Leia's theme used? 

I don't hear it here. It sounds exactly like the OST, where the rebel fanfare goes right to the Force theme. Is there some other scene?

On 16-12-2016 at 5:50 PM, Henry Buck said:

And I loved that the Master Switch is a big, goofy lever.

Placed in a location where nobody would EVER place an important "Master Switch"! :lol:

How did they ever know that's what it was? Could just as well have a random switch for any random thing.

Doesn't bother me though. It was fun all the same.

30 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I wonder. If you were just an average movie goer, who hadn't seen Star Wars in years and didn't really know who Peter Cushing was and that he ever was in Star Wars, would the mocap version stand out in any way?

I mean anyone here knows a thing or two about Star Wars and knows the actor playing Tarkin is long dead. So when he appears on screen we know it's a trick. Would someone who doesn't know that be fooled?

One of the people I watched the film with had not the FAINTEST clue about Star Wars (which was hilarious in hindsight).

And the other one does, but his familiarity with the films is decidedly less than my own.

Neither of them seemed to notice nor care, which is surprising considering they do have fairly high standards for special effects.

On 17-12-2016 at 1:22 AM, Luke Skywalker said:

Star wars never had explícitamente sex. I think George Lucas mandated that. Not many..if any...sex scenes in the adult novels...

Lost Stars is a pretty good recent novels and it actually DOES pretty much have that.

To my great surprise. :blink:

On 17-12-2016 at 7:46 PM, leeallen01 said:

Question: When the Death Star fired on the Imperial archive base, did it miss? I know they wanted to destroy their own base to stop the rebels getting the plans, and also a kind of personal bitch fight between Tarkin and Krennic, where Tarkin naturally knew he was there and wanted him dead so he has no competition for 'Commander of the Death Star,' but did the Death Star really miss its target? Or did Tarkin and the crew think that it would look prettier being destroyed with a blast wave of water?

Good question. I'd assume it might be quite hard to correctly aim such a "big damage" weapon so that it hits exactly what you mean to hit.

Plus, with the huge blast radius, any sort of "accurate aim" is quite irrelevant. But I did wonder the same thing....

17 hours ago, Will said:

So was Leia's theme really used in the final scene?

Thought so, yes. Plus the music very clearly ALMOST started Leia's theme when she was mentioned earlier in the film.

2 hours ago, Incanus said:

You are talking about Guy Henry.

Difficult to say if he was also doing the voice. He certainly has that dry aristocratic British voice but it is not close to Peter Cushing's voice.

Im fairly certain it is Guy Henry's voice but I have no way to prove it! 

I think if if they were using someone else's voice they'd have gone with Stephen Stanton who has voiced him in Clone Wars and Rebels (and is Raddus in Rogue One).

Good grief!

It's like when everyone was painting Rey as an asexual character just because she wasn't smooching with Finn. :rolleyes:

I'M ONE WITH THE FORCE AND THE FORCE IS WITH ME

I laughed at the Death Star technicians crouching when the laser fires, highlighting the poor control location.

Thought Vader's Barad dur in Mordor was silly.

Anyone else notice that Rogue One contradicts the Star Wars Radio Drama?

In the second episode of the radio drama, Leia is on Alderaan when she learns the Rebel fleet has captured the plans to the Death Star. Of course, in Rogue One, Leia is already on board the Tantive 4 and was present at the battle as the Death Star plans are immediately handed to her.

Here we go again! Haters hating for the sake of hating!

Ugh... I hate these guys!

5 hours ago, RPurton said:

Thought Vader's Barad dur in Mordor was silly.

I don't understand. Barad-Dûr was always in Mordor. What's so silly about that?

Perhaps better for the Half in the Bag/Plinkett Reviews by Redlettermedia Topic, but as it links in here I think it's also worth mentioning something Plinkett brought up in the recent Force Awakens Review. He mentions that it felt like the ending of Revenge of the Sith tied too many things together too quickly just so they close the circle, linking it to A New Hope, remarking it was "Like nothing else happened" between the two films. I had kind of the same feeling at the end of Rogue One, why did they need to have the Tantive IV escape scene and a cameo by CGI Leia? It was like they wanted to tie the two films together prematurely. 

Why not have a series of shots of the plans being passed from rebel to rebel, from spy to spy and from ship to ship and so-on (something akin to the Lighting of the Beacons scene from Return of the King). 

It's a minor gripe, because I did like the closing scenes, but it bugs me thinking about why they chose to pay so much fan service.

14 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I said in my post that my girlfriend didnt notice (and was shocked when i told her). She thought that Tarkin was a very old man with makeup to make him yourger (as she assumed the actor was alive and needed to be rejuvenated..) and that Leia was a look-alike actress...