89th Academy Awards (2017 Ceremony for 2016 films)

Disco Stu

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Like I said, I admit it's my thing (although I definitely believe that alcohol is a truth serum and your real opinions come out) and I honestly don't judge others if they still can like his movies.  I can look past negative aspects of other artists.  My wife and her family are Jewish, my children are being raised Jewish.  I just can't.  That anti-Semitic shit is insidious and seeing a resurgence these days.

Gibson may definitely have had a problematic upbringing but we mustn't forget that America not so long ago was ripe with casual anti-semitism. I just don't see the need of shutting him out of award ceremonies for that, it's not that he makes bad movies or even founded an anti-jewish league or something like that. Keeping himself off the bottle for quite some time (or so i've read) seems to have made him become a much more balanced person.

Polanski is a more problematic case but again, i have read so many knee-jerk jail him! comments especially in american media that makes me wonder if even 5% of them ever took the trouble to at least read about the case in detail. Same with Gibson. 

What do I know?  My emotional reaction to him is disgust.  I don't think there's changing that.  I was never a fan of his work to begin with so there's nothing pulling me to want to reconcile my personal feelings with his work.  I have a harder time with Polanski, who has made some legitimately brilliant films.

And I'm not consistent, I still consider myself a huge fan of the work of Woody Allen, for example.

La La Land is certainly going to win Best Score.

I, too, haven't listened to a single one of these 5 nominees.  And, I'm surprised Passengers ended up being the 5th nominee.  The other 4 were locks, but I thought the 5th nom would go to Hidden Figures, Nocturnal Animals, or one of Desplat's.

I still need to hear Moonlight, but this is definitely the weakest crop of nominees in years.

I'm happy to see Micachu nominated, even if I don't think Jackie was as strong as her work on Under the Skin which, insanely, was not nominated!

Just now, Disco Stu said:

I still need to hear Moonlight, but this is definitely the weakest crop of nominees in years.

The last few years have been appalling, with last year being the sole exception because of the Williams/Morricone double-whammy!

2 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I guess we should be relieved that Giacchino's efforts on Star Wars haven't been given further excessive validation by the AA institution then. 

yes. one of my most dreaded JW related nightmare is that some "sequel" composer gets nominated and wins in a franchise JW established

2 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I guess we should be relieved that Giacchino's efforts on Star Wars haven't been given further excessive validation by the AA institution then. 

That would have been worse than Trump!

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The last few years have been appalling, with last year being the sole exception because of the Williams/Morricone double-whammy!

But every year had scores I'd consider among my top of their years:

2015 - Force Awakens, Bridge of Spies

2014 - Grand Budapest, Interstellar, Theory of Everything

2013 - Book Thief, Philomena, Saving Mr. Banks

2012 - Lincoln, Anna Karenina

2011 - Tintin, War Horse, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Hugo

Those are all well-deserved nominees!  None of my favorites from this year were nominated, although I do think it was a relatively weak year for scores.

I can´t believe that BFG is not nominated. Apart from my fondness of that score and the name John Williams, it is very prominent in the film and hummable. Should have been a nobrainer.

17 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Ratatouille and Up remain the only scores he's ever written that have been nominated by the academy.

16 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I do think it was a relatively weak year for scores.

It was a relatively weak year for films overall.

Just now, Jay said:

It was a relatively weak year for films overall.

Very true.  Last year's Best Picture nominees had several films I was really excited about.  This year is pretty meh.

I've only seen 2 of the BP nominees too.  Arrival and Manchester by the Sea.

Gonna watch Hell or High Water tonight.  It's the only one currently (legally) available for home viewing.

3 minutes ago, king mark said:

Was Scorceses' Silence eligible?

Of course it was!

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Gonna watch Hell or High Water tonight.  

Hell or High Water is great!

4 minutes ago, king mark said:

Was Scorceses' Silence eligible?

They probably it would be ridiculous to nominate a score called Silence for Best Original Score. Imagine if it had won!

"And the Oscar for Best Original Score goes to... Silence!"

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Scorcese delving into his Catholic background doesnt sound like a bore to me.

Just going by what I heard. Might Netflix it when the time comes but won't be going to the cinema.

Actor in a Leading Role: 1 black nominee

Actress in a Leading Role: 1 black nominee

Actress in a Supporting Role: 3 black nominees

Actor in a Supporting Role: 1 black nominee, 1 Indian nominee

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Actor in a Leading Role: 1 token

Actress in a Leading Role: 1 token

Actress in a Supporting Role: 3 tokens

Actor in a Supporting Role: 1 token, 1 Indian token

Well if thats enough to pacify things...

44 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

I lost all interest when Shore wasn't doing the score. Apparently the film is a bore.

It's not, but it is slow paced. And I don't think I've seen a movie with less music in it. 

1 hour ago, Romão said:

It's not, but it is slow paced. And I don't think I've seen a movie with less music in it. 

There's a bit of score here and there. It's probably the most sparsely spotted Hollywood movie since No Country for Old Men, anyway. 

Also maybe I'm just out of touch but I honestly found it faster paced than I was expecting...I mean, it's not Goodfellas but it's not Tarkovsky slow either. It's still Thelma/Marty's rhythms, I thought it kept a steady clip and I really didn't think it felt nearly 3 hours. Anyway, I think it's a great one, probably his best this century.