Close Encounters of the Third Kind - 2017 2-CD La-la Land edition!

Jay

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What does MM mean by this? Are the alternates lost due to Ken Wannberg?

No no, true alternates (IE, they came back another day with different sheet music and recorded a newly written version of a cue) exist and are on this set; He's just saying every take of every cue wasn't kept, just the edited version of each cue that might have several takes combined together to get the best performance.

I'm not sure why Stefan is arguing with Ricard about this.  It's always been clear to anyone who listened closely that the version of "Inside" in the film isn't quite the same as the version on the Pops In Space CD.

However, there has never been any actual, public confirmation of this fact anywhere until that FSM post by Mike, unless you count the fact that when the tracklist for this set was revealed, Inside had a * after it indicating it was previously unreleased.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's always been clear to anyone who listened closely that the version of "Inside" in the film isn't quite the same as there version on the Pops In Space CD.

Well...

On 9/6/2017 at 3:28 PM, Richard said:

Steef, I'm sure that this has been discussed before, and I'm not sure of the recording details. All I can say is that, after living with both SE:CE3K and POPS IN SPACE, for thirty-seven years, it sounds the same, and it feels the same. In fact, I never once thought that it wasn't the same. 

I would very much liked to be proven wrong.

However, there has never been any actual, public confirmation of this fact anywhere until that FSM post by Mike, unless you count the fact that when the tracklist for this set was revealed, Inside had a * after it indicating it was previously unreleased.

Exactly. It was the first confirmation that it was a different recording done with the Boston Pops at the same recording session.

Maybe  the take used in the film was recored "clean", IE, just the cue was recorded, while the version on Pops in Space was recorded "live" with the rest of the suite, IE the suite was recorded all at once, not recorded in pieces and edited together.

There's barely any difference between either take, honestly.

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I answered Richard's question if I recall correctly. Because I knew they were different recordings.

Is that so hard to understand?

It's perfectly understandable that you answered a question without having any source to back it up. As I had done repeatedly many years ago.

And that Mike revealed for the first time on FSM that the two recordings were done by the BPO at the same recording sessions. First actual confirmation as I said. But you like arguing for the sake of it as usual.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

ABBA has got some great disco songs! Much better than the disco versions of JW's great soundtracks. ;)

Chic will always and forever be THE disco band to me.  But ABBA being Scandinavian I understand why you single them out so I forgive you :) 

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's always been clear to anyone who listened closely that the version of "Inside" in the film isn't quite the same as the version on the Pops In Space CD.

Was there ever any doubt about this? That's intriguing...

Oh, and that is on the "By Request" 1987 CD too.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Who says i didn't have a source? I was in Hollywood when this release was announced.

Really!

I was in LLL's offices when a transfer of "Inside" was delivered to them!

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Who says i didn't have a source? I was in Hollywood when this release was announced.

Really!

You should have mentioned the facts as clearly as MM did yesterday!

6 minutes ago, phbart said:

Was there ever any doubt about this? That's intriguing...

Again:

On 9/6/2017 at 3:28 PM, Richard said:

Steef, I'm sure that this has been discussed before, and I'm not sure of the recording details. All I can say is that, after living with both SE:CE3K and POPS IN SPACE, for thirty-seven years, it sounds the same, and it feels the same. In fact, I never once thought that it wasn't the same. 

I would very much liked to be proven wrong.

Also KM and many others weren't too sure that it wasn't the same recording.

But you mentioned it anyway, which is no surprise since you're known for revealing things you're not supposed to. Without mentioning the source.

Of course it didn't count as a confirmation for anything unlike Mike's post.

25 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Chic will always and forever be THE disco band to me.  But ABBA being Scandinavian I understand why you single them out so I forgive you :) 

Wow, just minutes ago, I just finished watching this Nile Rodgers Chic doc^

4 minutes ago, Rick said:

But you mentioned it anyway, which is no surprise since you're known for revealing things you're not supposed to. Without mentioning the source.

Of course it didn't count as a confirmation for anything unlike Mike's post.

Who says Ive ever revealed anything i wasnt supposed to? Really Ricard? 

PM me if you wanna talk about this. People really aren't interested.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

No no, true alternates (IE, they came back another day with different sheet music and recorded a newly written version of a cue) exist and are on this set; He's just saying every take of every cue wasn't kept, just the edited version of each cue that might have several takes combined together to get the best performance.

Thanks for clarifying. I guess this implies that potentially bad edits could be difficult to improve.

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

There are no bad edits!

That's good to hear! :) I guess I was thinking about the bad edits on the original soundtrack release and fearing the worst. Buy the 1998 release had good editing, if I recall correctly.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Chic will always and forever be THE disco band to me.

I'll check them out since I don't know them that we'll.

10 hours ago, crocodile said:

EDIT. Some more comments from Mike Matessino from FSM board:

Sounds to me like the near-complete, near-chronological programme on disc 1 of this new set is much closer to Williams's original album programme than what ended up being released. I hope Thor is well. ;)

7 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Sounds to me like the near-complete, near-chronological programme on disc 1 of this new set is much closer to Williams's original album programme than what ended up being released. I hope Thor is well. ;)

This will lead to an emergency shutdown, because there is no logical way to define this release. What is the OST now?! Perfect listening experience?! But by La-La Land and nevertheless complete?! What's the argument against buying it @Thor?:mrgreen:

13 hours ago, Jay said:

I'm not sure why Stefan is arguing with Ricard about this.  It's always been clear to anyone who listened closely that the version of "Inside" in the film isn't quite the same as the version on the Pops In Space CD.

It was revealed much earlier, in fact years ago [maybe MM himself in some discussion] that the actual take was not used in the Boston Pops recording and the take used in the film was a different one. I'm forgetting exactly where. Its been a long time. In fact, I mentioned the same a few posts before La La Land Records and Mike Matessino elaborated its history on the FSM thread.

This looks like an incredible release, IMHO.

While I'm likely to do the C & C reorganization on my digital organization of the score, this looks like a great album-like experience on CD for driving.

I will definitely order the moment it goes live.