John Williams' DRACULA - MUSIC ONLY discussion

Jay

Not until he had Empire and Raiders under his belt had he really solidified his position as a true master of his craft IMO. Obviously that doesn't take away from the masterful scores he was writing in the mid-70s. Jaws, Star Wars and Close Encounters alone are masterpieces.

Just now, crumbs said:

Not until he had Empire and Raiders under his belt had he really solidified his position IMO.

I think the 1970's really solidified his position with the big hits like Jaws and Star Wars. By 1980's Williams was already an extremely well established film composer in Hollywood.

I guess it's all relative when talking about things that happened before I was born. I just look at that 5 year period from Jaws onwards where he really solidified himself as a genius with each new score. Dracula came at the tail end of that period where he was really just hitting his strides with each new score.

In the grand scheme of things this was still very early in his film composing career, is what I was trying to convey. Four decades ago! 

I remember I once got into a brief Twitter argument, back in the days when I was on social media, with this dude named West Anthony and he just refused to acknowledge or care that for later generations the scores to Jurassic Park and Harry Potter were just as important.

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

It's hard to believe he was really only finding his feet as a composer when he wrote this

Wha? He was 47 years old!

I elaborated above. It was just a poor choice of words.

7 hours ago, crumbs said:

In the grand scheme of things this was still very early in his film composing career, is what I was trying to convey. Four decades ago!  

7 hours ago, Incanus said:

I think the 1970's really solidified his position with the big hits like Jaws and Star Wars. By 1980's Williams was already an extremely well established film composer in Hollywood.

By 1974. 

Earlier when I said "The Night Journey (Film Version)" matched the film's edit of bouncing between the Original and Revised, I was remembering wrong.  It's clearly just the Revised version, IE, "Night Journeys" like the OST just without choir.

Typo!

And comparing the two Night Journeys's, there's a tiny time difference between them, so tiny bits were snipped fom the OST (or some speed trickery going on), but yes, they're clearly the same cue.

image.png

I still haven't listened to disc 2. Trying to ration out my Williams releases until Potter arrives :)

What's the most significantly different mix/take I should look out for? 

16 hours ago, Holko said:

And comparing the two Night Journeys's, there's a tiny time difference between them, so tiny bits were snipped fom the OST (or some speed trickery going on), but yes, they're clearly the same cue.

Williams always be trimmin' bars for his OST programs

8 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I still haven't listened to disc 2. Trying to ration out my Williams releases until Potter arrives :)

Choir in Night Journeys.

Disc 1 sounds lightly muffled in some places (Love Journey, End Titles) while Disc 2 is more treble-y in those cases, but those are the sources, not intentional take or mix differences of course.

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Williams always be trimmin' bars for his OST programs

In these cases where it's some shortened notes or silences no normal human ear picks it up even when they're lined up, I don't mind at all. Stuff like Desert Chase, though...

13 hours ago, crumbs said:

Not until he had Empire and Raiders under his belt had he really solidified his position as a true master of his craft IMO. Obviously that doesn't take away from the masterful scores he was writing in the mid-70s. Jaws, Star Wars and Close Encounters alone are masterpieces.

You forgot Superman - The Movie.

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Earlier when I said "The Night Journey (Film Version)" matched the film's edit of bouncing between the Original and Revised, I was remembering wrong.  It's clearly just the Revised version, IE, "Night Journeys" like the OST just without choir.

Thank God, I was already startled about this questionable choice.

15 hours ago, crumbs said:

Only Main Title, Night Journeys, and To Scarborough are any different (other than being edited down)

18 hours ago, Jay said:

That's what I thought...it sounded the same. Glad to have it then!

I'm not too miffed about it, the Varese assembly is great, but any particular reason the source cues were not included, especially the apparently Williams-written Pre-Dinner Music? Did Williams veto them, were they not on the sources or did Mike decide they were a hindrance to the experience and would feel tacked on? I'd understand and accept either of these, but a voice inside me just keeps whispering "unreleased Williams source, unreleased WIlliams source"...

28 minutes ago, Holko said:

I'm not too miffed about it, the Varese assembly is great, but any particular reason the source cues were not included, especially the apparently Williams-written Pre-Dinner Music? Did Williams veto them, were they not on the sources or did Mike decide they were a hindrance and would feel tacked on?

Reading between the lines, Williams vetoed them (as with the Schindler's List source music, although the source music in that score wasn't composed by him).

1 hour ago, Holko said:

I'm not too miffed about it, the Varese assembly is great, but any particular reason the source cues were not included, especially the apparently Williams-written Pre-Dinner Music? Did Williams veto them, were they not on the sources or did Mike decide they were a hindrance to the experience and would feel tacked on? I'd understand and accept either of these, but a voice inside me just keeps whispering "unreleased Williams source, unreleased WIlliams source"...

It will be included on the expansion of Dracula 2 & 3 by another composer.

The source cues were on the sames tapes as all the score cues.  They are all preserved digitally and "future proofed" now like the rest of the score.

Hopefully they can get released some day along with with all the other source music from all the other scores Williams has vetoed.... in the future.

The one JW wrote is a more 1900s waltz plaing on a gramophone, terribly distorted and buried in-film.

La Cumparsita is a tango, and Wiener Wald is a Strauss waltz. What's interesting about the latter is it again starts as terrible gramophone quality in-film, then transitions to a more clear, real quality.

They're all pretty short, especially the JW one, if that's basically all that was recorded, it's no biggie at all, but we know what the Jaws source cues are like.

But they're all found and archived, that's the most important. 

I love this phase of getting to know a score. One listen per day (or two days) until I start being able to tell the less prominent tracks apart and notice some little things like the Investigation motif already beginning in Dracula Meets Van Helsing.

Well it's more for his process of realising Dracula is a vampire, I purposefully referred to it as the Investigation motif.

That motif in Van Helsing's Solution is so bloody good! Instantly memorable. You could build a whole score around that little idea but Williams only needs it for one cue! 

Love the way it develops out of Van Helsing's motif, as if the two are dancing around one another. I'd need to listen again but isn't the latter motif featured in counterpoint? 

On 11/30/2018 at 8:23 AM, Jay said:

The source cues were on the sames tapes as all the score cues.  They are all preserved digitally and "future proofed" now like the rest of the score.

Hopefully they can get released some day along with with all the other source music from all the other scores Williams has vetoed.... in the future.

I'm thanking my lucky stars that he agreed to release all the source music recorded for CETK!

I don't get why sometimes he doesn't care about the source music being released but other times he vetoes it. It must just be a case by case basis because it's hard to understand his rationale. I'd understand if he drew a line at source music he conducted but didn't actually compose, but even that's inconsistent. 

It's like Spielberg being selective about releasing deleted scenes.

• 4 weeks later...

Just listened to the complete score for the first time.

The sound quality is immensely improved, but in comparison to many other recordings from the late 70s it is still pretty weak.

The score is much more restrained and darker in complete form.

I like the organ overlays(?) in "To Scarborough" and I've been waiting for "Casting a Spell and The Visitation" (1:00-1:10) for so long!

I only realised while doing the iso score videos - the Investigation motif was on the OST all along, the demented piano plays it early in Mina Impaled, part of The Bat Attack.

3 minutes ago, Holko said:

I only realised while doing the iso score videos - the Investigation motif was on the OST all along, the demented piano plays it early in Mina Impaled, part of The Bat Attack.

Yeah, I noticed that too when I first listened to the complete score a few weeks ago! Was tempted to bring it up here, but figured it'd been brought up already.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been enjoying this score immensely, the complete presentation really opens it up and reveals a whole slew of wonderful little motifs. I'm particularly fond of rising string figure that was heard only once in the original OST, but that in the complete score presentation gets another rendition. You can hear at the 2:36 mark of track 2 Meeting in the Cave, and again at the 3:59 mark in track 5 Casting a Spell and the Visitation.

Really wonderful score. Along the Lost World, one of the best examples of an expansion really improving my appreciation of a score

It’s been so long since I saw the movie... A 1900s waltz from JW, I can’t remember picking it up in the movie... But I want to hear it! It’s a bit sad it’s not on the DE.

Regarding source cues, I understand JW’s reluctance to not have them released but so much time has passed since the movie was scored and released... I wish he’d embrace a more open minded relationship to these mature scores.

Knowing he doesn’t want it released, it seems almost disrespectful to wish for a release... in the future. : /