What is the last piece of classical music you listened to?

1200x1200.jpg

Soundwise Telarc rarely disappoints. From Sorcery To Science and The City are the highlights on this CD. 

81qbP50uXwL._SL1500_.jpg

Great recording by the people who brought you Elliot Goldenthal's Vietnam Oratorio. 20th Century music where steel pans play a crucial role. Requiem (for Strings) sounds amazing.

4827361-origpic-4f0217.jpg

Another very good sounding recording ... and on Super Audio CD! Also featuring Requiem for strings.

" Sleepers Awake"

Cantata

If you don't know the composer , shame on you!😁

11 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Urania is a hack label.

Why is Brahms there?😗

11 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Urania is a hack label.

Better than Saturnia.

😎

On 19/12/2021 at 12:59 AM, bruce marshall said:

Did Igor write anything special after FIREBIRD/SPRING?

WE shall find out.

Screenshot_2021-12-19-00-50-50.png

I must concede the fact that , compared to Russian opera, Wagner sounds practically Verdian!😅

According to this course, Stravinsky was worried that the NAZIS- thinking he was Jewish- would ban his music.

Frightened of losing lucrative performance royalties he cravenly assured the leadership he wasn't Jewish.

Nice guy that Igor.😒

On 15/12/2021 at 8:30 PM, Disco Stu said:

The slow movement of Copland’s Violin Sonata is so spare it’s practically skeletal.  For some reason, when I listen to it I get this image of standing on the surface of the moon, in a space suit, watching the slow Earthrise.

It has this beautiful feeling of complete solitude without despair

I did this.  Because I just had to see it.

Ma plays with a cello that does have a "clear" sound.

I'm not sure he always use the "Baroque pitch" even when he plays Bach, by example, compared to other more "classic" or purist cellists. The tuning can affect the sound greatly.

The Baroque pitch A4=415Hz

The modern standard pitch A4=440Hz

The Baroque pitch sounds a semi-tone lower than the standard one.

Turned on Pops In Love completely blind because it's today, and was surprised to find it was absolutely nothing like I always imagined based on the cover and I liked it a lot, no overly sappy poppy lovey dovey sugarpies. OK, maybe the Pachelbel Canon in this version is, I'm used to more playfully quick interpretations. Was surprised to find How the West Was Won snuck in at the end :P

On 02/02/2022 at 9:24 PM, bruce marshall said:

" Sleepers Awake"

Cantata

If you don't know the composer , shame on you!😁

One of my favorite pieces of all time!

On 15/02/2022 at 8:06 AM, Disco Stu said:

Happy 75th birthday to the great John Adams :happybday:

Really love this piece and had good opportunity to play it twice (1st horn and another time 4th horn). I wish there were more recordings of it out there!

Ingryd Thorson, Julian Thurber: Dvorák: Complete Works for Piano Duet - CD - Opus3a

Specifically Legends, Op. 59, very enjoyable and lively work for two pianos. 

I'm guessing Cláudio Santoro isn't well known to even the well educated musos of JWFan, but I highly recommend his 4th and 9th symphonies on BIS. Thrilling stuff, particularly the choral finale to the 4th.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7943336--claudia-santoro-symphonies-nos-4-9-ponteio-frevo

Alas BIS only recorded this one disc it would seem, but Naxos appear to have recorded his 5th and 7th symphonies which appear to be the of a complete cycle:

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9313120--claudio-santoro-symphony-nos-5-7-brasilia

15 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I'm guessing Cláudio Santoro isn't well known to even the well educated musos of JWFan, but I highly recommend his 4th and 9th symphonies on BIS. Thrilling stuff, particularly the choral finale to the 4th.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7943336--claudia-santoro-symphonies-nos-4-9-ponteio-frevo

Alas BIS only recorded this one disc it would seem, but Naxos appear to have recorded his 5th and 7th symphonies which appear to be the of a complete cycle:

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9313120--claudio-santoro-symphony-nos-5-7-brasilia

Oops, should have said "beginning of a complete cycle". Really looking forward to this, I'm surprised so little of his music has been recorded given how many less well known composers have had their stuff recorded.

Yesterday I was a bit sad about humanity, then I listened to this wonderfull album by Lorraine Hunt Lieberson.

Aspiration to divine serenity according to J.S. Bach. 

This arrangement is just so beautiful. Unfortunately, I don't understand Italian, but A. B. Michelangeli has created something very beautiful. I only came across this piece by chance, did not know the choir or Michelangeli before. Michelangeli was apparently one of the greatest pianists of the last century.

It just gives you such a nice vibe, does anyone know what it's about exactly?

Pictures at an Exhibition.

MM was Wagner's equal- in anti- Semitic

rantings. He.died on Skid Row, a dissolute beggar.

But, he sure wrote some good music!

Fyi MM owes his fame, in large part, to the arrangements and orchestrations of Rimsky- Korsakov and Maurice Ravel.

My point?

No point.

😎

8 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Bach, St Matthew's passion, Karajan. That choir is just... terrible.

Terrible... good... or terrible bad?

In my experience... you have to be very adventurous to listen to baroque music conducted by Karajan!