David Arnold and Michael Price's DRACULA (2020 BBC TV)

Jay

I thought his Sherlock scores were generally good, but there's a lot of filler in between the good parts

• 1 year later...

For whatever reason i can watch Drac incarnations, from the outrageous Jess Franco wrecks to the luxurious Badham version or even George Hamilton's 'Love at First Bite'. Though looking at the trailer, it will probably be a trailer-ish surface score without much musical depth.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm told by Silva that the promo files will be sent out on January 6th. I'm kinda curious about this one; still tapping my fingers and waiting for a new Arnold score (for TV or film, I don't care) that lives up to his former glories. Hasn't really been one since NARNIA in 2010.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish some idiot at Marvel or DC would realise the potential this guy has to reinvigorate their film scores and hire him. I'm thinking Silvestri is done with Marvel now the Avengers saga is wrapped.

8 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Spoilers!  (I haven't watched it yet)

Overall I enjoyed it but the final episode suffered a bit from the usual problems of these two writers. It’s definitely worth a watch. 

I didn’t notice much of the score before the final half hour. 

9 hours ago, crumbs said:

I wish some idiot at Marvel or DC would realise the potential this guy has to reinvigorate their film scores and hire him. I'm thinking Silvestri is done with Marvel now the Avengers saga is wrapped.

Considering his past works with Bond, I think Arnold would be a brilliant choice to score Black Widow, which seems to be a Marvel variation on spy movies. But they'll probably just choose some boring option like Brian Tyler or whatever.

13 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Maybe an early apology by Balfe on getting the job on No Time to Die instead of him? lol

The final episode is actually the only one where that 'hip' Dracula makes any sense. It's a weird miscalculation, it's like they remaked 'Love at First Bite' and forgot to leave for present-day New York until the final 5 minutes.

Score was inconspicuous.

Only seen the first two episodes but wasn't surprised by the twist at the end of part 2.

Sadly the score is nothing to write home about. Arnold is capable of much more interesting stuff than this suspense underscore. Alas, it seems like modern shows and films just don't want music that actually draws attention to itself. 

I wasn't expecting Independence Day for Dracula but I did think he might experiment with some gothic textures, maybe something romantic or thematically lush. It doesn't leave much of an impression sadly. :(

I watched episode 1 last night and enjoyed it. The music stood out to me a handful of times - I'll probably end up buying it if they put the right bits on.

The main theme left me underwhelmed though - there was virtually nothing thematic that leapt out at all; a very textural score.

Re Dracula, I stopped watching halfway through E01.

At no point did the score stand out.

For those who finished it, tell me, is this a ’woke’ version of Dracula? (Maybe no spoilers for those who are sensitive about that sorta thing.)

1 hour ago, rough cut said:

is this a ’woke’ version of Dracula?

I've seen a lot of this nonsense online the last week. 

Spoiler

They combined the character of Sr Agatha and Van Hellsing and when you see the full series there's actually a fairly decent reason for doing so. To leave Van Hellsing as male in the story they told would probably have been even more "woke".

As for the complaints about the homoerotic moments... well if you've read the novel and have basic reading comprehension the heterosexual and homosexual undertones are plain as day.  

Well I'm 15 mins into episode 2 and sort of waiting for something to happen. It feels like they're spending a lot of time setting up characters I don't care about.

But I won't give up - I want to see how it plays out.