Next James Bond actor after Daniel Craig?

Jay

4 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Not seeing why that needs a radical rethink. I honestly can't conceive of why anyone except plain old racists would have any problem with a minority Bond. But then I'm rather strongly on the side that I don't really see why it has to be a male character, in much the same way that The Doctor is no longer an exclusively male (nor white) character.

No doubt if I said that on a Bond forum I'd be banished to Trenzalore forever because "tradition", but 007 is just a codename, right? Couldn't it be literally anyone?

Hence "something they'd have to build into the canon," as in something they'd have to acknowledge onscreen to then appeal to the widest possible demographic. In short, I agree, it could be (and should be open to) literally anyone. 

It's not a new idea, but Bond, like Doctor Who and Sherlock Holmes, has amongst its fans millions of self-appointed gatekeepers who think they know what's best for the character. I think all three characters are staples of British mythology, and all mythology is flexible enough to be reinterpreted by new storytellers. Ya gotta move with the times. 

On 21/03/2024 at 12:55 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

Kyle MacLachlan is an interesting choice as Bond. I can see Lynch himself as M. Shame Jack Nance and Harry Dean Stanton aren't around anymore to play Q and Felix Leiter. We'll have to do without the Julee Cruise/Angelo Badalamenti Bond song, too. Maybe Zendaya will be Moneypenny.

Kyle MacLachlan can act? Because he certainly didn't do any acting in Dune. 

6 hours ago, Mephariel said:

He did rather a lot of it on Agents of SHIELD. There was a lot of over the top ham, of course. What do you want? It's SHIELD.

16 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Not seeing why that needs a radical rethink. I honestly can't conceive of why anyone except plain old racists would have any problem with a minority Bond. But then I'm rather strongly on the side that I don't really see why it has to be a male character, in much the same way that The Doctor is no longer an exclusively male (nor white) character.

No doubt if I said that on a Bond forum I'd be banished to Trenzalore forever because "tradition", but 007 is just a codename, right? Couldn't it be literally anyone?

007 is the agent/code number yes, and can be redesignated (as shown in No Time To Die). But James Bond is his actual name.   

19 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I honestly can't conceive of why anyone except plain old racists would have any problem with a minority Bond.

If I say: "I don't want to see a black woman play James Bond", does that make me a sexist, misogynist dinosaur?

I'd see that as a somewhat non-progressive stance, but depends why you would think that.

I.e. a female Bond is a change to tradition and I suspect most people don't have an issue with it being a male actor. Some other stuff in other news has just wound me up a bit with regards to general sexism - I'm not suggesting they should be rushing to cast someone non traditional. Whereas if it's the black aspect, that's more of a problem.

On 23/3/2024 at 1:08 AM, Mephariel said:

Nobody in Villeneuve’s Dune can act either.  I think it’s the source material.

Instead of female Bond, they should just do a movie based on this classic:

Totally Spies! - Wikipedia

Three diverse female heroes kicking ass in dangerous missions across the globe, using high-tech gadgets and having so much fun with boys in the process. 

4 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Instead of female Bond, they should just do a movie based on this classic:

Totally Spies! - Wikipedia

Three diverse female heroes kicking ass in dangerous missions across the globe, using high-tech gadgets and having so much fun with boys in the process. 

Or based on this… which was genuinely hilarious at times (and had pretty music from what I recall). I mean they had a car called Subaru McClanahan…

image.jpeg

5 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I'd see that as a somewhat non-progressive stance, but depends why you would think that.

I.e. a female Bond is a change to tradition and I suspect most people don't have an issue with it being a male actor. Some other stuff in other news has just wound me up a bit with regards to general sexism - I'm not suggesting they should be rushing to cast someone non traditional. Whereas if it's the black aspect, that's more of a problem.

If I don't want to see a rebooted Star Trek, with Uhura played by a white man, does that make me a sexist, misogynist dinosaur?

One relevant difference is that Uhura being black and Uhura being female were groundbreaking at the time (and still entirely common nowadays). Making her black and female was a deliberate choice and statement. Bond being a white male was ever just… normal.

The alternative would be, showing Bond just as a narcistic, permanently drunken sexist prick who has a female assistant permanently covering up for him and doing the actual secret agent work and saving the world in his name.

That is a popular pattern as well which could be used instead of making Bond female.

35 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

The alternative would be, showing Bond just as a narcistic, permanently drunken sexist prick who has a female assistent permanently covering up for him and doing the actual secret agent work and saving the world in his name.

That is a popular pattern as well which could be used instead of making Bond female.

So The Tailor of Panama mixed with Remington Steele.

23 hours ago, Edmilson said:

and having so much fun with boys in the process. 

erm...just how much fun are they having with those boys?

James Bond should definitely be played by a bloke.

M was deliberately baiting Bond when she called him a “sexist, misogynist dinosaur.” He’s sexist, sure, but misogynist? Arguably, Connery’s Bond was - he was written to be, but all Bonds are a product of their time. Moore, far less of one, especially with each passing film. There’s that daft bit in Moonraker where he says to Dr. Holly Goodhead, “Oh. A woman!” in a condescending way, and that comment by Judi Dench’s M many films later is an in-universe riposte to moments like that.

Bond’s apparent superiority complex isn’t the usual though - he’s not concealing any sense of insecurity. He uses it as a way of gaining information, to provoke, and he’s like this with male and female alike, including colleagues. He drops the provocative approach when he respects a person, and then it becomes the trademark droll wit. With opponents, the provocative approach is a weapon, a way of exposing their Achilles heel(s).

Sure, you could invert it and do all that with a female “Bond” too, but what would be the point? You might as well invent an entirely new character.

It'll be interesting to see what EON do next...

On 25/03/2024 at 12:25 PM, Sweeping Strings said:

To me, Bond changing gender is a crazy conversation 

To you and 7 billion other normal people.

On 25/03/2024 at 12:39 PM, GerateWohl said:

The alternative would be, showing Bond just as a narcistic, permanently drunken sexist prick who has a female assistant permanently covering up for him and doing the actual secret agent work and saving the world in his name.

Jesus Christ, what an awful idea.

When is the meteor hitting earth? It's getting irredeemable.

Bond and a meteor? They already did that, and it apparently didn't turn out too well.

That reminds me, one of the ideas that was mooted for Zorin's eeeevil scheme in AVTAK was him manipulating the course of Halley's Comet. 

Meteor (1979) - IMDb

4 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Bond and a meteor? They already did that, and it apparently didn't turn out too well.

That reminds me, one of the ideas that was mooted for Zorin's eeeevil scheme in AVTAK was him manipulating the course of Halley's Comet. 

Meteor (1979) - IMDb

I'd forgotten this! And that Sean Connery was in it. Karl Malden and Natalie Wood, Martin Landau... great, all-star cast... It was supposed to be the be-all and end-all of disaster flicks, and if a disaster movie stands or falls on its VFX, this one was definitely an abysmal failure, with one of the most tedious final acts I can recall sitting through. (I actually went to see it as a kid.)

1 minute ago, Marian Schedenig said:

It has a nice Rosenthal score.

Didn't know that. (Y) I'll seek it out. I do recall that John Williams was supposed to do the music but was forced to pass because production was so delayed and he could no longer fit it into his schedule. 

Also that it was beset by all sorts of VFX problems during production which caused its budget to soar.  

Meteor's original SFX director got fired and his work up to then was unusable, so others were brought in to reshoot the sequences with whatever was left in the budget. They were also fired, and again others were brought in to finish the effects with the (now presumably diminished even further) remaining budget cash and with 2 months to go to the release date.   

4 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I miss those "ALL THE CAST" little squares at the bottom of the posters. Obviously my favorite one was... Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

My favourite is THE TOWERING INFERNO, followed closely by EARTHQUAKE.

2 hours ago, Tallguy said:

star-trek-cover.webp

Whatever one says about the film, some of the shots in ST:TMP, are jaw-droppingly beautiful.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Whatever one says about the film, some of the shots in ST:TMP, are jaw-droppingly beautiful.

Effects shots, certainly. Some of the real shots are surprisingly ugly, despite the split diopter bonus.

• 4 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

There are a lot of terrible Bond movies that have fewer redeeming features than No Time to Die… and I’m quite confident I’d prefer to rewatch any of them before watching this AI trash.

Yavar

I enjoyed Skyfall and SPECTRE well enough. It's been more a timing thing that I haven't seen NttD. And I will watch anything in the Craig or Brosnan era (including - barely - Die Another Day) before I watch A View to a Kill again.

It coming down to between him and Craig last time round and having The Cold Light Of Day, The Man From U.N.C.L.E., MI : Fallout, Argylle and The Ministry Of Ungentlemanly Warfare on his resume ... has there ever been a more 'close, but no cigar' actor when it comes to Bond than Cavill? 

12 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

It coming down to between him and Craig last time round and having The Cold Light Of Day, The Man From U.N.C.L.E., MI : Fallout, Argylle and The Ministry Of Ungentlemanly Warfare on his resume ... has there ever been a more 'close, but no cigar' actor when it comes to Bond than Cavill? 

Pierce Brosnan (1986 - 1994). :D

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Geez, Louise! That fake trailer is better than the whole of NO TIME TO DIE :lol:

I’m usually simpatico with your position on most things, but you’re way off base here—NTTD was a fine movie. Even got me a bit misty-eyed toward the end. 

Thank you for this, @Bayesian. I admire your honesty.

At the end of the day, it's horses for courses. You like NTTD, and I don't. I think that there is room enough for both opinions.

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

... has there ever been a more 'close, but no cigar' actor when it comes to Bond than Cavill? 

Don't you mean: "Close, but no Delectados"? :)

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

It's weird that Hollywood kept casting him in spy roles but never as Bond, even after Craig retired the role. It would be a better use of his talents than crap like Argylle.

23 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

At the end of the day, it's horses for courses. You like NTTD, and I don't. I think that there is room enough for both opinions.

I'm not a fan of NTTD either. Honestly, I may like it even less than Spectre (which at least starts strong).

My pick is obviously Henry Cavill because...come on... they're utter morons for not begging him immediately after No Time To Die. But if not him, a few years ago I kinda wonder what Henry Golding would be like as 007. I know he will be criticised as a diversity hire, but he has definitely earned consideration, and definitely has the feeling and suave of Bond.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

It's weird that Hollywood kept casting him in spy roles but never as Bond, even after Craig retired the role. It would be a better use of his talents than crap like Argylle.

The funniest thing about Cavil and Argylle is that he is barely in Argylle despite appearing all over the marketing.

19 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

The funniest thing about Cavil and Argylle is that he is barely in Argylle despite appearing all over the marketing.

That's not terribly surprising given the plot.

10 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Don't you mean: "Close, but no Delectados"? :)

Or 'close but no triple gold-banded Morlands', to go back to Fleming.