The Bad Batch - The Clone Wars Spinoff show

Faleel

I find it confusing that both current shows, The Mandalorian and Bad Batch, that take place in very different time periods, are dealing with clone experiments as a side plot. And both didn't reveal yet what this is actually about.

4 hours ago, SilverTrumpet said:

I don't get why Omega has that (annoying, sorry) accent (and this new character has the same one) when the clones don't sound like them at all.

Because those actors and Temuera Morrison actually have that accent?

6 hours ago, SilverTrumpet said:

I don't get why Omega has that (annoying, sorry) accent (and this new character has the same one) when the clones don't sound like them at all.

Or is it the same accent but it sounds different when different actors have it? Always wondered why.

Michelle Ang (Omega) and Temuera Morrison (original voice of the clones and Jango Fett), and the actress who plays the female clone scientist are from New Zealand and have native accents

EDIT: Emerie Karr is voiced by Keisha Castle Hughes who was born in Australia but still a New Zealander, which means she is very likely using her native accent in the show which is distinctly New Zealander

Dee Bradley Baker (current voice of the clones) is an American trying to put on a New Zealand accent but it sounds absolutely terrible and more akin to something like an Australian one. That’s where the inconsistency is

4 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

the actress who plays the female clone scientist are from New Zealand and have native accents

Keisha Castle-Hughes, aka the Queen seen at Padme's funeral in Revenge of the Sith

4 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

Michelle Ang (Omega) and Temuera Morrison (original voice of the clones and Jango Fett), and the actress who plays the female clone scientist are from New Zealand and have native accents

EDIT: Emerie Karr is voiced by Keisha Castle Hughes who was born in Australia but still a New Zealander, which means she is very likely using her native accent in the show which is distinctly New Zealander

Dee Bradley Baker (current voice of the clones) is an American trying to put on a New Zealand accent but it sounds absolutely terrible and more akin to something like an Australian one. That’s where the inconsistency is

I'm way more familiar with Temuera Morrison's clone voice than I am Dee Bradley Baker's, and his never stood out the way Michelle Ang's has.

The natural NZ Omega accent is more pronounced because person is talking like they’re in a kids’ cartoon, which they are.

Only 5 episodes into S2 so far and enjoying it though!  Gonna wrap this before I start Mando.

1 minute ago, Tydirium said:

Hide contents

Did anyone else catch Giacchino's Jyn Erso theme when Tarkin and Krennic begin discussing Project Stardust?

I recognized something from Rogue One, but forgot to go back and listen carefully after the rest of the episode, I believe this is now the second time the score gets referenced in other media, first being the Lego All-Star show.

7 hours ago, Tydirium said:

Some great music in these last two episodes! Also:

Hide contents

Did anyone else catch Giacchino's Jyn Erso theme when Tarkin and Krennic begin discussing Project Stardust? I'm not the biggest fan of the RO score, but I thought that was a nice nod.

I did, I love musical continuity like that

Contents of the second series 2 OST courtesy of AHA Music:

Spoiler

The Crossing
00:30-01:30 Canyon Landing
04:00-05:20 Mineral Extraction
05:50-09:20 Lost in the Canyon
13:10-14:09 We're a Family
14:51-15:00 Mineral Extraction
19:00-20:00 Flooded Caves
22:42-25:07 We're a Family
26:30-26:47 Canyon Landing

Retrieval
02:52-05:00 Mokko
07:34-07:40 Into the Underworld
08:22-11:50 Into the Underworld
12:51-16:00 Mokko
20:20-20:40 Many Like Us
20:42-24:30 Revolt
25:20-26:18 Many Like Us

Metamorphosis
02:00-03:06 The Doctor
06:50-11:40 Wreckage Located
12:20-16:45 Zillo Beast
19:30-23:10 Arc Troopers
24:12-26:27 The Doctor

The Outpost
00:40-02:18 Outpost
10:50-11:50 Pressure Mine
14:10-14:16 Pressure Mine
15:34-18:48 Raiding the Base
20:50-23:49 Mayday
25:20-26:50 Mayday
27:14-28:50 The Good Soldier

Pabu
00:50-01:00 Scorpion Club Mix
05:50-10:28 Pabu
12:44-15:16 Chance to Start Over
15:50-18:29 Water is Receding
19:10-23:00 Tsunami
23:10-24:39 Chance to Start Over

Tipping Point
01:50-03:48 Recover the Prisoners
04:20-06:30 Recover the Prisoners
07:00-10:10 Interrogation Begins
11:20-14:48 Crosshair Sends Signal
16:50-18:47 Flying Lessons
22:30-25:30 Increase Injection Level

The Summit
03:22-05:10 The Summit
07:10-10:19 Infiltration Plan
10:21-12:58 Hemlock's Briefing
13:13-16:48 Planting the Beacon
17:00-19:39 Insurgents Compromised
20:40-22:38 Frantic Escape
23:44-24:19 This Is Going to Be a Problem

Plan 99
02:30-02:50 Plan 99
05:20-05:30 Plan 99
06:10-07:29 The Sacrifice
09:10-10:49 The Sacrifice
14:00-16:40 Standoff
17:22-21:27 Don't Stop Searching
22:00-24:30 Sisters
25:00-25:20 The Sacrifice

Full track list and durations courtesy of ACRCloud Music:

Spoiler

01 Canyon Landing (01:34)
02 Mineral Extraction (02:07)
03 Lost in the Canyon (03:11)
04 Flooded Caves (02:05)
05 We're a Family (04:08)
06 Mokko (05:01)
07 Into the Underworld (04:15)
08 Revolt (03:59)
09 Many Like Us (02:23)
10 The Doctor (03:51)
11 Wreckage Located (04:48)
12 Zillo Beast (04:35)
13 Arc Troopers (03:53)
14 Outpost (02:44)
15 Pressure Mine (03:53)
16 Raiding the Base (02:55)
17 Mayday (05:44)
18 The Good Soldier (01:46)
19 Pabu (04:46)
20 Water is Receding (03:17)
21 Tsunami (03:43)
22 Chance to Start Over (03:58)
23 Recover the Prisoners (04:35)
24 Interrogation Begins (03:35)
25 Crosshair Sends Signal (03:41)
26 Flying Lessons (01:55)
27 Increase Injection Level (03:29)
28 The Summit (02:15)
29 Infiltration Plan (03:24)
30 Hemlock's Briefing (03:41)
31 Planting the Beacon (04:00)
32 Insurgents Compromised (02:53)
33 Frantic Escape (02:34)
34 This Is Going to Be a Problem (01:49)
35 Plan 99 (03:48)
36 The Sacrifice (04:10)
37 Standoff (03:25)
38 Don't Stop Searching (04:28)
39 Sisters (02:46)
40 Mokko's Cantina (00:48)
41 Scorpion Club Mix (01:50)

I was KIND of hoping that when they settled on Planet Beach that when we caught up with them again they might do a fast forward to a few years later. This show is exploring the roots of the Empire and that would have been a cool way to do it.

Anyway.

Good ending. Nice Where Eagles Dare homage.

Spoiler

I have to say I hope Tech stays dead. I really liked him. He might be my favorite. But don't mess with me like that.

Well on the one hand I've found this season to be a little frustrating, but on the other I've liked a lot of the character work and world building, particularly set up that seems to be heading towards the sequel trilogy.

I loved the character arcs. Tech, Hunter and Crosshairs getting a lot of attention and building their characters up to something with a payoff. Techs sacrifice and Hunters rationalising it and pushing him forward were great, especially as it seemed to finalize his paternal roll for Omega. Crosshairs dissolution with the Empire and still refusing to give up the Bad Batch at the cost of his life/sanity (maybe?).

All the world building of the Empire in it's infancy, ceasing various worlds, dealing with the Clone Conspiracy and justifying the decommissioning of the clone army. As well as the hints to where the Emperor wants to use cloning. Loved all of that.

But the main thing with this season, especially ending on a cliffhanger, is that overall a lot feels wasted. Particularly episodes 1-6, they were very run of the mill, not to say there wasn't anything interesting going on just in the grand scheme it feels like a missed opportunity to do more.

As much as I've enjoyed all of this, in the end it feels more like it's set-up for next season rather than telling a complete story.

And one little nitpick I have is that the day the Bad Batch arrive on Pabu (the entire time I was thinking what's going to go wrong) is the day that a tsunami hits, the first one in 30 years is the exact day they show up, like not even having a whole episode of them just being there, this once in a 30 year event happens.

And as my prediction of Cid selling out the Bad Batch to the Empire came true I have gained a greater understanding of how Star Wars is planned out and absolutely cannot be questioned or second guessed by what will happen next (sorry but that's the way it goes)*

*I really wish there was an easier way to show sarcasm

I'm not going to lie, I think a lot of what went on between the two seasons could easily have been condensed down into a single 16-episode season. Cut out a lot of the filler fetch quest episodes that go nowhere.

I found the season's ending to be rather unsatisfying, tbh. It's all just bad after bad after bad. The Empire Strikes Back pulled off a bittersweet ending after a ton of darker stuff. Like... killing off Tech or abducting Omega on their own would have been fine. Doing both in such a short span, right at the end of the season, just makes it bleaker than it needed to be.

Then there's the wasted potential of a maybe-clone uprising. We got some seeds planted for Rex and Gregor in Rebels (I see Gregor's already going a bit loopy) but it really doesn't seem to go anywhere. And while we all know the ultimate goal of the scientists (clone Palpatine) the subplot about the clones in regard to this project goes totally unresolved.

Overall, some strong points this season but just a lot of pointless stuff sandwiching it all together, ending with a needlessly-bleak conclusion that left me feeling very unsatisfied.

4 minutes ago, Giftheck said:

And while we all know the ultimate goal of the scientists (clone Palpatine) the subplot about the clones in regard to this project goes totally unresolved.

Absolutely, especially in the case of this season. But also Mando is trying to tie up those ends as well, so whatever they have planned for the clones in relation to cloning Palpatine in the Bad Batch cannot have a happy ending, as we know the Empire are still working on it post ROTJ. Which doesn't leave many options for storytelling, the most obvious conclusion would be that the Bad Batch kill Dr Royce Hemlock, and if season 3 is the final season, sacrifice themselves at the same time.

The only episodes that were weak enough to make me think "I'd just as soon not have watched these" were the first two. Everything thing else I was either happy to watch or they were really excellent.

Mando, OTOH, is really firing on all cylinders this season.

Just when i bought the figure of my favorite bad batch character…. They kill him 🥲

nice season, but really they could have killed crosshair making some sacrifice to save the rest of the group (it may end up like that in season3…) i never liked him much. 

oh i hate saw gerrera, it is all his fault. Btw, the small female stormtrooper that accompained him… could be jyn erso?

and yes, eliminating most of the filler episodes you have one season of nonstopping onteresting story-action. Lets hope season 3 is more streamlined.

the red haired dr. That claims to be omegas sister… could be a hint that omega could be related to mara jade? Maybe they create a force sensitive clone from them…. And palpatine uses her as his hand… or even omega could be force sensitive if palpatine “awakens” the force in her. She would be just a few years older than luke… and thrawn could look after her in the mandoverse timeline… but how weird it would be for mara jade be a fett clone…. Or maybe everything is related to rey? Her mother?

7 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

oh i hate saw gerrera, it is all his fault. Btw, the small female stormtrooper that accompained him… could be jyn erso?

No, it is not Jyn Erso. The events of The Bad Batch take place a few months after Revenge of the Sith, and Saw Gerrera is still in his youth. At this point, Jyn is only a baby.

On 01/04/2023 at 3:42 AM, Groovygoth666 said:

But the main thing with this season, especially ending on a cliffhanger, is that overall a lot feels wasted. Particularly episodes 1-6, they were very run of the mill, not to say there wasn't anything interesting going on just in the grand scheme it feels like a missed opportunity to do more.

Spoils/Ruins of War: Introduce Phee, worldbuilding post-Clone Wars and Dooku's paralel with the Empire, start of Tech's development (scenes in the cabin), middle point of Echo's development.
The Solitary Clone: Crosshair's development, start of clone replacement.
Faster: Sid's betrayal foreshadowing and set up, Tech's development, slice of life with him.
Entombed: Phee's development and set uos the Batch relantionship with her.
Tribe: Batch's return to Kashyyyk and Gungi (so far non important, but very enjoyable)

Both Clone Wars and Rebels set up things that only go somewhere seasons after. Season 2's finale used the mining tunnel from "Infested", the same episode that introduced a character that hasn't showed up since. Same with "Retrieval" this season, and the mine with explosive material.

As far as the clone uprising, I don't know how much of the expectation comes from the show itself or from Legends knowlegde. "Rescue on Ryloth" sets up with Howzer, that the Clones will not follow the Empire forever, and everyone that agrees with Howzer is immediately arrested, so far the show has created a clone rebellion cell that was set up in "Reunion" through Rex, that just rescued Howzer in "Tipping Point" so those threads are now connected.

Is it possible that a clone uprising will happen? Yes. But the show has not set that up exactly. And it's still 18BBY, everything will get worse before it gets better, which is a bit tiring, and that's why I'm thankful for the """"filler"""" episodes. There's also the fact that we only know of three clones that survived through these years, so no good thing awaits all the others. 

But I get it, they're basically making the show for those who will binge everything when it is done, the problem is that it can make individual seasons not that fulfilling. Thankfully I really like these characters, and I'm just happy to spend 20 minutes with them.

That’s great ! I’m happy it will be the last one, maybe it can enable them to slow down on filler episodes. I really hope that this will be the same level as the second half of season 2…

• 9 months later...
16 minutes ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

another book retconned

Yeah; it's like they don't care at all.

"Continuity? What's that?"

Bonus points for the book being based on unmade episodes by themselves in the first place.

Wha??

1 minute ago, Pieter Boelen said:

Yeah; it's like they don't care at all.

"Continuity? What's that?"

Bonus points for the book being based on unmade episodes by themselves in the first place.

Wha??

In addition to the Batchers, now scattered following the events of Season 2, the trailer includes some new creatures and familiar faces, including Wanda Sykes’ Phee, and ends with the shocking appearance of fan favorite Sith-apprentice-turned-free-agent Asajj Ventress. “We love Asajj Ventress. She’s a character that we’ve been wanting to tell more stories about,” Brad Rau, supervising director and one of the executive producers of the series, tells StarWars.com. And he makes clear that her return will honor prior tales, including the book in which the character apparently perished. “We don't want to spoil anything, but want fans to know that any new storytelling with Ventress will align with the events of Star Wars: Dark Disciple.”

Don't know... sound sketchy.

Star Wars: The Bad Batch Season 3 Release Schedule

Spoiler

February 21: Episode 1 (“Confined”), 2 (“Paths Unknown”), 3 (“Shadows of Tantiss”)

February 28: Episode 4 ("A Different Approach")

March 6: Episode 5 (“The Return”)

March 13: Episode 6 (“Infiltration”), 7 (“Extraction”)

March 20: Episode 8 (“Bad Territory”)

March 27: Episode 9 (“The Harbinger”)

April 3: Episode 10 (“Identity Crisis”), 11 (“Point of No Return”)

April 10: Episode 12 (“Juggernaut”)

April 17: Episode 13 (“Into the Breach”)

April 24: Episode 14 (“Flash Strike”)

May 1: Episode 15 (“The Cavalry Has Arrived”)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How can they continue to top themselves?

Not only in the animation department, but this premiere was exhilarating. This and Andor really make me hate the Empire as I should, the clones for sure are one of the biggest tragedies in Star Wars.

We also had the first returning character from a "filler episode", a few answers from the Season 1 finale, and confirmation about what was happening in Tantiss, a lot in 3 episodes! I think about 50% of the trailer was all in these.

Also, Sean and Deana joined Kevin in the main "music by" credits... what, didn't have enough space for David Glen Russell?

Finally caught up.

I think Filoni has some Andor envy. Which is fine.

I love how the creators say "Hey, we're going to have a slow burn, really get into the characters, be patient with the show" and the streamers say "Ok, we're dropping all the episodes at once until something really significant to the plot happens. THEN we'll go week to week." Andor did this. The Expanse did this.

It's been over 30 years since I read it, but I gather this mountain base thing with the cloning is the same place that was in Timothy Zahn's Heir to the Empire. Also a cloning facility.

Still kind of amazing that they get McDiarmid himself to do the Emperor. If anything he's gotten scarier. I still think it's ridiculous that he's not wizened and hollowed out by age and the Dark Side, but that he's just scarred from force lightening. Imagine if we were getting to see him continuing to fall apart in this era? Not that this was ever the plan, I suppose.

On 23/02/2024 at 9:13 PM, DarthDementous said:

Episode 2 was pointless

How so? We saw the remaining Batch duo searching for Omega, got more context to Hemlock and what happened to the Clones that were shipped from Kamino and got pay off in Roland Durand. We also don't know how those 3 clone cadets will pay off later, but just those three and their story/conflict was enough to make the episode worth it.

37 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

It's been over 30 years since I read it, but I gather this mountain base thing with the cloning is the same place that was in Timothy Zahn's Heir to the Empire. Also a cloning facility.

It is!

Episode 4 was fantastic!!

I love the relationship between Omega & Crosshair. It's really cool.

The final moments of the episode were so great and I was surprised how emotional I got. Thode final few shots were gorgeous amd I'm looking forward to how it will go

It would have been a good, but frustrating episode if it ended where I though it would (with Hemlock at the ship) but it kept going and it became a great episode... still don't know if Crosshair already knows about Tech, looks like they're pulling a "we never saw Echo talk about Fives with Rex" again.

The imperial guy reminded me of the one from Andor (Aldhani) and his fate was super satisfatory. Omega using her gambling skills from another "filler episode" was a great solution to their problem, and I just liked the atmosphere in the planet and episode, it's not everyday we see cold breath in animation.

On 28/02/2024 at 6:46 AM, Gabriel Bezerra said:

The imperial guy reminded me of the one from Andor (Aldhani) and his fate was super satisfatory. Omega using her gambling skills from another "filler episode" was a great solution to their problem, and I just liked the atmosphere in the planet and episode, it's not everyday we see cold breath in animation.

He kind of had a bit of Aardman vibes.

On 28/02/2024 at 6:46 AM, Gabriel Bezerra said:

Omega using her gambling skills from another "filler episode" was a great solution to their problem, and I just liked the atmosphere in the planet and episode, it's not everyday we see cold breath in animation.

I guess that means it wasn't filler after all!