Bethesda's INDIANA JONES game

Disco Stu

• 6 months later...

Meh, it's an Xbox exclusive, and I already spent a ton of money on a PS5. Only way I'm getting this if it is somehow the second coming of Uncharted or another classic so unmissable that will compel me to get a Xbox.

6 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Meh, it's an Xbox exclusive, and I already spent a ton of money on a PS5. Only way I'm getting this if it is somehow the second coming of Uncharted or another classic so unmissable that will compel me to get a Xbox.

Yeah I was bummed by that too cause in all honesty I would rather play it for PS5.  I only have a PS4 and Switch and rarely game these days....

But if this game gets good reviews and has decent replayability....and holy shit.... imagine if it has online co-op or multiplayer????....anyways I would probably be getting it and an Xbox.

I'm picturing the multiplayer like UC4 with all the legacy characters. Imagine playing as Mutt 😂

On 23/06/2023 at 8:01 AM, Edmilson said:

I'm late to the party but this decision seems really illogical. Let's scrap multi-platform development so we can rush the game out faster and start making sales .... by releasing it exclusively on a console that sold half as many units as the other.

Presumably it will still be released on PC though, so not a huge problem I guess.

Indy is a franchise who could generate some really awesome next-gen adventure games. Something like Uncharted, but set in the 1930s or 40s. With a fun gameplay, nice score, amazing graphics and intriguing story, it could be a really entertaining game.

But I'm kinda hoping it isn't so that I don't need to buy an Xbox ROTFLMAO

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I'm late to the party but this decision seems really illogical. Let's scrap multi-platform development so we can rush the game out faster and start making sales .... by releasing it exclusively on a console that sold half as many units as the other.

ZeniMax Media, who owns Bethesda, was bought by Microsoft a few years ago. So now all of their games are Xbox and PC exclusive, but won't come out on PlayStation.

Elder Scrolls is Todd Howard’s baby, right? And that has great music, so I’d be pretty optimistic for this. 

But then again, I don’t recall Fallout 3 or 4 having many memorable tracks, so who knows. 

And I didn’t play the Starfield game, so not sure what the music was like for that. 

This is Machine Games, the makers of the most recent Wolfenstein games, not Bethesda proper. I doubt Todd Howard will have much to do with it, especially if he's trying to right the ship of Starfield.

9 hours ago, Schilkeman said:

This is Machine Games, the makers of the most recent Wolfenstein games, not Bethesda proper. I doubt Todd Howard will have much to do with it, especially if he's trying to right the ship of Starfield.

I recall him being a pretty big factor in this game.

Given Todd Howard's more recent output, that's probably a good thing. Although I'm not aware of any Bethesda developer making third-person action games. It'll be interesting to see how it comes out. I think we're supposed to see some of it at a Microsoft event soon.

New developers getting involved in the game's production...

We've known for quite some time now that it's being developed by MachineGames, but a new rumor suggests that 343 Industries, id Software, and Tango Gameworks are handling co-development duties on the project. That rumor was shared on the Xbox Infinite Podcast by co-host @Middleagegamegy, and would seem to suggest that Xbox is putting a lot of resources into this new game!

MachineGames is already a big deal, as the studio has worked on franchises like Wolfenstein and Quake. However, 343 Industries has worked on Halo, id Software has worked on Doom, and Tango Gameworks has worked on Hi-Fi Rush and The Evil Within. Between these four development teams, that's a lot of strong experience, and that could result in a better product.

Maybe I'm behind the times on how modern video games are developed but having 4 studios co-developing one title seems... weird.

One could assume MachineGames were in over their heads, or management weren't happy with their progress.

In other news, eagle-eyed fans discovered Lucasfilm has apparently registered multiple trademarks and domains for “Indiana Jones and the Great Circle” (potentially the game’s title?)

5 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Maybe I'm behind the times on how modern video games are developed but having 4 studios co-developing one title seems... weird.

This is not unusual at all, especially for a game of this budget and importance. Sony does the same kind of thing with its AAA games.

Interesting, I stand corrected! Seemed unusual to me but I guess modern games are a lot more time-consuming to develop.

9 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

It is indeed now the norm although arguably not a very effective process at making something that's quality

Yeah, I said "important," not "good." A lot of very middling games come out that took 8 years, 2000 people, and nine-figures to make.

1 minute ago, Schilkeman said:

Yeah, I said "important," not "good." A lot of very middling games come out that took 8 years, 2000 people, and nine-figures to make.

A real shame and waste of resources and talent. The industry is showing no sign of slowing down its scope creep either, and consumer demand is partly to blame for that.

7 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

A real shame and waste of resources and talent. The industry is showing no sign of slowing down its scope creep either, and consumer demand is partly to blame for that.

Yep. I keep up to date on the new stuff, but haven't played a new game about 3 years. I gave my PS5 to the kids. There's so much old stuff I've never gotten to that I'm now finding much more rewarding. Modern game development is unsustainable without a host of predatory consumer practices, and the psychology of modern game design has killed the hobby for me.

2 hours ago, Schilkeman said:

the psychology of modern game design has killed the hobby for me.

So much this. Maybe I'm choosing the wrong games but it's been a long time since I played a new game that was actually fun to play. So much of modern gameplay mechanics is a tedious chore.

I think Nintendo's Zelda and Mario games are hella fun to play, The Last of Us games on PS are great too

Without writing a 5000 word essay about my issues with those games, I'll say that they both suffer from what I call endorphin-first game design. Their size and polish distract from what is a fairly basic activity/reward system, facilitated in the case of Mario with level design that bored me to tears, and in the case of Zelda, systems that overlap, designed solely for the increase of work, and to give the illusion of choice and progress. It's trickery.

And don't get me started on the ever-more-slippery, frictionless nightmare that is the movement in Mario Odyssey.

14 minutes ago, Schilkeman said:

And don't get me started on the ever-more-slippery, frictionless nightmare that is the movement in Mario Odyssey.

I played an hour of that hoping for something on the level of Super Mario Galaxy 1 or 2... and never picked it up again.

Something about it bored me, and I normally love those Mario games!

6 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I played an hour of that hoping for something on the level of Super Mario Galaxy 1 or 2... and never picked it up again.

Something about it bored me, and I normally love those Mario games!

I think the movement started getting wonky in those games. For me the platonic ideal of 3D Mario movement is probably Sunshine (minus FLUDD) or 64. Those games are sticky and have weight, especially 64.

I have to say, I'm stoked as hell.

also....i really hope this is after some sort of chase scene or whatever...cause our man Indy NEVER look like a bum in a suit...

image.png

Didn't watch all of it yet but I'm very disappointed that it's an fps.

9 minutes ago, Holko said:

I don’t think any Bethesda developer has ever made a third-person game, so I’m not super surprised. I personally do not like the shooting or level design in Wolfenstein. Their schtick seems to be wild stories, so I’ll be interested to see how this turns out.  

17 minutes ago, Schilkeman said:

I don’t think any Bethesda developer has ever made a third-person game, so I’m not super surprised.

:eh:

You can switch between first and third in all of their games I can think of right now

57 minutes ago, Holko said:

:eh:

You can switch between first and third in all of their games I can think of right now

None of them were designed to be played that way, if you're referring to Elder Scrolls or Fallout. Those are fundamentally first-person games with a vanity mode, and more to the point, Machine Games has never made a third-person game. Neither has Id, or Arkane, or any of the other studios who could be helping on this game. Only Tango has released a third-person game, and that only recently.

I'm not saying they can't, just that I'm not surprised they didn't.

Indy's got the Bapty! :lovethis:

...I think I may have to do an Indy Gear mod for this game as well, once I can get ahold of the textures.  The hat, jacket, and pants look too light in these clips.  Of course, that might get fixed by the time the game's released.

They get points for not just slapping the Dorfman on his head and calling it a day, though.

4 hours ago, Holko said:

I would vastly prefer if it was a point and click adventure game

First person shooter? The first time in modern generations that we get to play as Indy and it'll be first person? Sigh...

Oh well, that's good news for me. Seems I won't be spending another fortune to get an XBox Series Whatever just to play this a while after getting a PS5.

Damn in the trailer they didnt use any spanish dubber of harrison ford. He sounds like Hugh Jackman now...

Its great they use film quality professionals, but when the character is from a film, it doesnt work if you dont use a similar voice. The should try to hire impersonators like in the english versions.

13 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Damn in the trailer they didnt use any spanish dubber of harrison ford. He sounds like Hugh Jackman now...

Its great they use film quality professionals, but when the character is from a film, it doesnt work if you dont use a similar voice. The should try to hire impersonators like in the english versions.

Same in the German trailer, where they didn't use Harrison Ford's German voice actor Wolfgang Pampel (78), BUT: They've used Florian Clyde (40), who voiced Aaron Eldenreich in the Solo movie, and who - at least in Solo - managed an impressive impersonation of the young Wolfgang Pampel. It didn't work as well in this trailer, but either dialogue direction will get him there for the final game, or they'll hopefully use Pampel one last time (even at 78, it's just the German voice you associate with Ford, who he voiced since Star Wars).

If there's one thing Machine Games is good at it's making killing Nazis a lot of fun. From the glimpses of combat they seem to have captured the very stylised violence of Spielberg's films; those punches have real heft to them.

Remains to be seen how the game will go though. It's obvious they wanted to steer clear of Uncharted territory, specifically the climbing mechanics of that series. It makes sense, seeing as those games were direct homages to Indy and pretty much wrote the book on how you'd make a modern Indy game, but I'm not entirely convinced a FPS approach will work for Indy. For one, FPS games are not known for their intricate puzzle design, and I'd be extremely disappointed if that aspect of the game is lacking. But who knows, perhaps that's why there's 4(!) studios attached to the game - one of them are bound to make a good puzzle or two.

Here's an extended look at the game, and it's chock-full of what I assume is the new score. It's Gordy Haab doing what he does best; classic 80's Williams. I look forward to hearing it in full: