What Is The Last Film You Watched? (2022 films)

Jay

Yea, watch The Menu!  It's free on HBO Max

The Great is super fun, my wife and I both like it a lot.  Though season 2 wasn't quite as good as season 1.  I hope season 3 bounces back

Just now, Jay said:

Yea, watch The Menu!  It's free on HBO Max

The Great is super fun, my wife and I both like it a lot.  Though season 2 wasn't quite as good as season 1.  I hope season 3 bounces back

Definitely will watch it although appears to be on Disney+ here in Blighty.

I guess the second season of The Great was never going to quite match the first as it suffers from having to deal with the fallout from the buildup of the first season (a common problem with lots of shows these days I find) but still pretty great. But clearly miss Leo. Train buddy. 

They also wasted Gillian Anderson somewhat.  She was great, but should have been around for the whole season before being killed off

Doctor strange in the m of m.

Oh, dear Lord. This has to be the worst MCU movie. That or I forgot how bad Thor 3 was. Jesus. Ah, is that third eye thingy supposed to get me excited for the sequel now? Well, it isn’t working. I think this phase 4 box set buying plan will have to be replaced by a few individual DVDs buying plan.

Olsen is annoying. The way she speaks and sounds is… Urgh. ‘You gotta watch WandaVision, gotta watch WandaVision!’ Not in my life.

America is stupid too. Is she gonna be back? Count me out if she is. And her parents… Here’s my issue: I would have loved it had it just been an ordinary scene. But no, we have to be harassed and lectured to about diversity every goddamn day. And that makes this so jarring. But I shouldn’t be surprised. After all, Marvel needed the whole Infinity Saga before it realised that a thing called musical continuity existed, so now I guess they’ve got some compensating to do on other fronts. And they get it right too sometimes. Danai Gurira, Michelle Yeoh and Scarlett Johansson were fantastic additions to their universe because they had something to say. These token plugs are not, but some critics love them because they piss China off. More power to them.

McAdams was better in the first one. The musical notes sequence was nice from the point of view of a score fan, but it also felt extremely incongruous. The whole plot was confusing at times (as in how many things Maximoff was doing at once in different places). And no, I don’t care about the kids.

Oh yay, mid-credits scene, so exciting.

The score’s tender moments are good and the theme statements never disappoint, obviously.

Wow, great evening that was. Okay, that last scene was funny. If I wasn’t so intent on watching Black Panther 2, I would stop watching the MCU altogether at this point.

10 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Oh, dear Lord. This has to be the worst MCU movie.

I thought Multiverse of Madness was not a good movie, but still not the worst from the MCU. The Dark World, Captain Marvel, Love and Thunder were much worse.

11 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

‘You gotta watch WandaVision, gotta watch WandaVision!’ Not in my life.

It's not like you're missing much ;)

12 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

America is stupid too. Is she gonna be back? Count me out if she is. And her parents… Here’s my issue: I would have loved it had it just been an ordinary scene. But no, we have to be harassed and lectured to about diversity every goddamn day.

Agreed, she was an extremely forgettable character. Like most post-Endgame new characters (RiRi from Black Panther 2, all of the Eternals, etc).

• 2 weeks later...

Thor, love and thunder.

Uh, this is a difficult one to review. Well, it’s definitely better than that last load of garbage. The cast is great, but Waititi became annoying in the second half and some of the story seemed contrived, including that brief Guardians cameo (I want more Mantis).

The whole Zeus thing will grow on me, I guess, but this leads me to the biggest problem I had with the movie. Some of the jokes I loved, but others really did not work for me at all. There are brilliant moments here and there, but other things are just stupid. I’m not going to make a list, sorry. Wait, is Zeus alive now? Oh great, another villain sent to kill a superhero. Wow, how original.

Now, time to write a paragraph about Jane Foster. I didn’t buy the whole Mighty Thor thing. And I wanted to, I really, really did, but her storyline was yet again mishandled completely, even though there was so much potential. And why did it take her all this time to return to the story? I’m not saying I didn’t love that sequence with the gorgeous ABBA song all over the narration, but why couldn’t we have more of her and Thor on-screen? Oh, right, sorry, I’m forgetting, there were more important things to deal with, and now I WILL make a list:
-    The Incredible Hulk.
-    Thor fighting stupid dark elves after that first great movie.
-    Endless bromance with Bucky Barnes.
-    Ant-Man and boring Michael Douglas monologues.
-    Ego.
-    Thor 3, basically.
-    Even more Ant-Man.
-    Wasting the great Brie Larson’s time for two hours.
-    An inexcusably mediocre Black Widow movie with actors nobody needed.
-    Doctor Strange in the Depths of Dullness.
-    So many movies I’m still wondering when and how Odin died.
-    And 10,000 TV shows no normal human being has time for.

But yeah, we couldn’t have Jane. And now she’s gone. Why?! Why couldn’t Thor wish for Eternity to cure her? Why can’t Waititi do that road movie he wants to make with Thor and Jane (and possibly with Spider-Man and Zendaya), AND WITHOUT VILLAINS? Why can’t these characters ever just take a breath and a break from fighting? 

The score has some great choral and brass writing and the reverb seems to be okay too. Loved most of the songs, didn’t like all the guitar uses. Also, why was Patrick… Urgh, whatever.

All Quiet on the Western Front

Great movie. Wonderful cinematography, direction, make-up and acting. The only thing that was missing was a great score to accompany all of this. I mean, THIS is the score that the film industry thought was the best of 2022? Really? Yeah, it was a mostly mediocre year for film scores, but there surely were better options, no? You could replace the score for sad music found on online libraries and it would have the same effect. 

Anyway, it's still a good movie. As a DC Comics fan, I'm happy to see that it was a DC movie (Wonder Woman) that made WWI popular again on the film industry. Well, that and the hundreth anniversary of the conflict.

8 hours ago, Edmilson said:

All Quiet on the Western Front

Great movie. Wonderful cinematography, direction, make-up and acting. The only thing that was missing was a great score to accompany all of this. I mean, THIS is the score that the film industry thought was the best of 2022? Really? Yeah, it was a mostly mediocre year for film scores, but there surely were better options, no? You could replace the score for sad music found on online libraries and it would have the same effect.

The score was the only downside of one of the greatest anti war films of recent years. I don't want to hear horn blasts, when young soldiers are killed by a flame thrower. What the fuck did they think that was good for?

14 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

but why couldn’t we have more of her and Thor on-screen

Because Foster didn't want to come back?

Well, it’s definitely better than that last load of garbage.

I have a hard time grasping when people find significant difference between Ragnarok and Love and Thunder. The "Stupid Thor" films. (Sadly Infinity War is part of this category but there's a whole terrific movie around him, so it's not... Well, whatever.)

I'm truly baffled that anyone could hate Ragnarok yet find this film an improvement.

An inexcusably mediocre Black Widow movie with actors nobody needed.

I'm with you on this one. But I liked Pugh in Hawkeye.

Oh, no no, I meant better than Multiverse. Well, and yes, better than Ragnarok.

As for Foster not wanting to come back: fine, but then don't do the off-hand 'we broke up' thing in Thor 3.

9 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I have a hard time grasping when people find significant difference between Ragnarok and Love and Thunder. The "Stupid Thor" films. (Sadly Infinity War is part of this category but there's a whole terrific movie around him, so it's not... Well, whatever.

Strangely, I've read lots of people mention grieving angry Thor in Infinity War to be their favourite Thor.

15 minutes ago, Brónach said:

Strangely, I've read lots of people mention grieving angry Thor in Infinity War to be their favourite Thor.

Infinity War's Thor certainly still has chunks of Waititi's stupid Thor ("It'll kill you!" "Only if I die!" "That's... what killing you means."). But "grieving angry" apparently helps. The scene with him and Rocket is brilliant. "What more could I lose?" "I could lose. I mean me, personally, I could lose a lot." I'm in tears AND I'm laughing.

I didn't include Fat Thor as the same as Stupid Thor, but it amazes me that in a movie (Endgame) where every character's pain in suffering is given tremendous weight that Thor's isn't because it is almost always a punchline.

Maybe that's why Love and Thunder finally stops working for almost everybody. It's like time travel: "Either it's all a joke or none of it is." They spent three movies, all critically acclaimed, telling us that Thor is not to be taken seriously. The audience finally believed them.

The Pale Blue Eye

A decent, if by-the-numbers, serial killer thriller, this time with a Gothic twist. The best part were the last 20 minutes, which have a twist ending that I genuinely didn't see coming.

The highlight is for sure Harry Melling as Edgar A. Poe. I really couldn't believe this is the same guy who as a kid played Dudley Dursley in the HP movies. 

It's good, it sounds like his other thriller scores of the past (Silence of the Lambs, Se7en, etc). Actually, I think it was precisely because of these movies he was hired for TPBE.

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

A Thor movie where we could see him naked would be my instant favourite.

Oh wait, they did it?

Well, same... which makes it odd that I've not taken some time out of my busy schedule to watch it. Nothing quite like a naked Hemsworth.

Still, in actual films I did see, Matinee was last night's viewing and very enjoyable it was too. Doesn't have the nasty streak of the Gremlins movies, but is pleasingly absurd and Mant, the movie within a movie, is suitably hilarious in its send-up of 50s creature features even if the excellent, retro-style effects are far too good for the vintage. Jerry's score is utterly charming and makes me miss even more how even a minor, fun movie like this can have not just one, but two or three great themes in it.

Next up was meant to be Gremlins as it was supposedly free on Amazon Prime but appears to have gone back to being paid for after about 43 seconds (only partly joking). Still, gotta be done...

6 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Still, in actual films I did see, Matinee was last night's viewing and very enjoyable it was too. Doesn't have the nasty streak of the Gremlins movies, but is pleasingly absurd and Mant, the movie within a movie, is suitably hilarious in its send-up of 50s creature features even if the excellent, retro-style effects are far too good for the vintage. Jerry's score is utterly charming and makes me miss even more how even a minor, fun movie like this can have not just one, but two or three great themes in it.

Man, I saw this years ago on DVD. I'm certainly on Dante's wavelength. But it didn't grab me. Perhaps as a more seasoned adult I should revisit.

7 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Man, I saw this years ago on DVD. I'm certainly on Dante's wavelength. But it didn't grab me. Perhaps as a more seasoned adult I should revisit.

I can't remember if I've seen it before, some of it seemed familiar, but plenty not - then again, based on what I knew about it, it was more or less what I expected. John Goodman being a gregarious showman, Robert Picardo being hilarious, sort of Spielbergian nostalgia, but a bit more silly. It's not a great movie I don't think but worth a rewatch, even if just to get all the feels (as the kids say) from Jerry's score. For such an occasionally grumpy bastard, he wrote some utterly charming music.

• 2 weeks later...

Wakanda forever.

Well… It’s most definitely not as good as the original one.

Letitia Wright, Lupita Nyong’o and Danai Gurira are as fantastic as ever. Riri is stupid and unnecessary. Didn’t recognise Martin Freeman at first and his American accent isn’t too great either. But Angela Bassett is just offensively awful. Yes, I know you can rrrroll your r’s, lady. Nobody needs you to do it in everrrrry fucking syllable you utterrrrrrr. Trrrrrruly rrrrrrrrreprrrrrrehensible. God, that woman is annoying in everything she’s in. She sounded more like a carrrrrricaturrrrrrre than anything else.

The villain’s motivations grew on me, but I wish they had explained what had killed Black Panther.

Oh look, cliff-hangers for another sequel, great. I’m never going to get that comedy-drama-family-road-romance movie with all these actors and without any villains, am I?

Now, the score. The score that’s inexcusably short. I felt like just one-third was scored and it could have been so much more. Lots of moments just begged for music. Some of the cues are absolutely brilliant, though. The moment when Shuri is revealed as the Black Panther is easily the highlight (possibly of the entire year) and then I haven’t even mentioned the gorgeous choral chanting. Or the fact that the sound effects and/or the narrator drowned out most of it. Or the questionable auto-tuned wailing AKA songs scattered throughout the movie. I watched this one to escape an evening of musical torture, but apparently I’m just out of touch with what people like. God, when is someone going to realise you don’t HAVE to sound suicidal to record a song in this day and age?

13 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Oh look, cliff-hangers for another sequel, great. I’m never going to get that comedy-drama-family-road-romance movie with all these actors and without any villains, am I?

it seems that only Guardians of the Galaxy got away with this

maxresdefault.jpg

Great performances (easily Colin Farrell's best) but a certain part of the story (which I'm not going to mention) is a bit hard for me to believe. 6,5/10

Crimes of the Future - David Cronenberg

You really cannot blame David Cronenberg for not staying true to himself. This movie is more or less a collection of motives and topics that he worked on in almost all of his previous movies. Mainly it looked to me like a mishmash of Shivers, Crash and eXistenZ. And luckily it is better than eXistenZ.

If this movie was really needed? Probably not.

But I am a fan, so I loved watching a new work of the Meastro of body horror including a score of Howard Shore.

il_fullxfull.4371998749_apux.jpg

It's Tom Hanks doing a Clint Eastwood movie, but every scene, line, each expression or reaction is so over-the-top explicit .... 3/10

Don't know where else to post it, so it'll go here anyway, but I saw on Facebook that this has to be one of the most brilliant character posters that I've seen. I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen the movie, but the only thing you should know is that the thing above Steven Yeun's head is not a cowboy hat.

Nope's (2022) poster of Steven Yeun's character foreshadows what happens to  him. Explanation in comments. : r/MovieDetails

Empire Of Light (2022)

MV5BYjM5NzUxOWMtZjhkNC00M2ZmLTk2NzItOTQ1

Is it a movie about schizophrenia? The love for cinema? Racism? Sexual abuse at the workplace? I wonder if Sam Mendes even knows? Still ... 6/10

50 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Don't know where else to post it, so it'll go here anyway, but I saw on Facebook that this has to be one of the most brilliant character posters that I've seen. I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen the movie, but the only thing you should know is that the thing above Steven Yeun's head is not a cowboy hat.

Nope's (2022) poster of Steven Yeun's character foreshadows what happens to  him. Explanation in comments. : r/MovieDetails

Wooooow. I never noticed that!! That is so cool!!

Fall (2022)

Survival pic about two girls that get stuck on top of a 600 meters old radio tower after The ladder has broken down.

The Idea is not bad and the movie has exciting moments. 

But most of the time you as a spectator are annoyed how stupid they act.  For example they are permanently afraid to Fall off the platform when the fall asleep. But they are climbers and they have a rope. So, why don't they tie themselves up? And anyway, why don't they just tie the rope around them both long enough so that they could climb down the big pipe on opposite sides of the pipe. They are doing things much more dangerous there, but most of it is comparably stupid.

The Outfit (2022)

jI9MXHS0bUr5FUuSMcYNkNZBX7L.jpg

The Outfit feels like a stage play, but I looked it up, and it's an original screenplay. Even the direction and some of the acting feel stagy. During the second half of the movie, the story starts to rely heavily on plot twists, which could explain why many people love this movie. 5/10

MV5BN2VkZjIwZDEtOGQyMi00NTJlLWE4ZWItNDgw

Fall. Intense. Stupid people making stupid choices but living their lives. As a person who's father died falling from a great height I personally wiol never die that way

On 14/04/2023 at 11:51 PM, bollemanneke said:

Here’s my issue: I would have loved it had it just been an ordinary scene. But no, we have to be harassed and lectured to about diversity every goddamn day.

Harassed? Lectured? in MoM? directed by that guy? in Disney?

• 4 weeks later...

MV5BNGVkNDc3NjUtNTY5ZS00ZmE0LWE3YzctMDk2

I'm just watching this, the latest film by Makoto Shinkai.

It is impressively gorgeous looking, and has a good soundtrack too, but I prefer the "realistic" Shinkai of 5 centimeters per second.

Too much fantasy for me. Of course Spirited Away is too much fantasy too, but I don't know, I liked it there...I can accept it more in Ghibli films.

Anyway, it's 2 hours and I'm at 1 hour 23 minutes. I am too tired to continue watching, so I'll call it a day, and will continue tomorrow.

• 2 months later...

d2df990d5e874d4fea2b120df807724b60-WEIRD-radcliffe.webp

Weird: The Al Yankovic Story

OOof, a real mixed bag here.  The parts of this movie that work REALLY work, and I was laughing my ass off at them.  Unfortunately not eveything they try lands, and there were to many non-funny scenes in between the gems for me to overall think it was a good movie.  But the good parts were so good, it's still worth watching.  It's an absurd comedy, but I guess I like the David Wain style of absurd comedy that really goes for it, instead of this not going absurd enough often enough.

It's on Roku

Terrifier 2. I like the looks of it but I don't see what's so gross about it

Terrifier 2. 

Shocking. Utterly shocking. Art the clown is a much more hands on killer than Pennywise. 

And the vinegar and salt sequence is a childhood nightmare.

On 09/10/2023 at 7:46 PM, Jay said:

Glass Onion

this is very entertaining but i like the first one much better. the conclusion is better tied up.

also while the point is that the island palace is awful looking, it feels inevitably less interesting to look at than the house in the first one

I like the first one better too, but in my case I wouldn't say "much" better.  More like Glass Onion is a 9.0 and Knives Out is a 9.5.  I really hope he sticks the landing with a third one

His Bond run needed either different writers, or different executives telling the writers what they want them to write, or both

Exactly. Parts of No Time To Die made me think 'what is this moody relationship drama stuff doing in a Bond film, FFS?' 

Apparently, one of the ideas bandied about (but wisely discarded) for QOS had Bond discovering that Vesper had a kid and him 'stepping up' so similar in NTTD maybe have been a resurrection of that. 

16 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

watch Craig having the sort of fun he either wasn't allowed to have or didn't want to have as Bond.  

Drama ain't fun.