Official Patrick Doyle Thread

Bespin

On 1/8/2023 at 6:08 PM, Alex said:

Probably so they can put "Score by Academy Award winner Hildur Guðnadóttir" in promotional material.

Yeah, it’s ridiculous, it should have been “Music by Academy Award winner Patrick Doyle” for a long time. It’s crazy that Doyle hasn’t got any Oscar. (btw the list of those who should have won at least one is too long…)

A few mentioned that Branagh's first two Poirot movies had mixed reception but I rather liked both and I thought Nile was particularly good. Doyle did a superb job with the music on both. I would take persuasion, or perhaps more insight into the movie business, to believe this has anything to do with Branagh not liking his music.

44 minutes ago, JTW said:

(btw the list of those who should have won at least one is too long…)

Indeed.

Doyle, Thomas Newman, David Arnold, Danny Elfman, Alan Silvestri, James Newton Howard, John Debney, Bruce Broughton, John Powell, Joel McNeely.

And in my opinion composers who should've won more: Jerry Goldsmith, James Horner, John Williams, Randy Newman, 

15 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

A few mentioned that Branagh's first two Poirot movies had mixed reception but I rather liked both and I thought Nile was particularly good. Doyle did a superb job with the music on both. I would take persuasion, or perhaps more insight into the movie business, to believe this has anything to do with Branagh not liking his music.

I don't find these two scores that interesting on their own, but I can imagine they work wonders in the films. I recently purchased the blu-rays and look forward to checking them out.

I saw both during a brief Disney+ excursion. Orient was 'good' but it's Nile I really liked. Doyle's score has just the right amount of Egyptian flavour - I noticed it many, many times during the film in a good way.

That run with Branagh is, outside of GoF and Eragon, pretty much what my 'fandom' of Doyle consists of.

And all of them have a slightly different feel - Cinderella is a wonderful, sweeping orchestral score, the Poirot scores are more suspenseful, and All Is True is a beautiful, intimate chamber concept album. The film itself is slow, quiet and I wouldn't be shocked if it turned out that only a single digit amount of score is actually used.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

@ddddeeee,

Do you stay in Glasgow?

I live near Leeds, but I stayed in Glasgow last night. I jump at the chance to come here. I must have seen a dozen concerts here at this point. It reminds me of home (Ireland).

On 04/08/2023 at 2:06 AM, ddddeeee said:

Relistened to one of my favourite Doyles today, and was, again, moved by this track, featuring vocals by Doyle's son. (This track is actually 'She was a Real Lion', but it has been incorrectly titled.)

Thanks for bringing my attention to this.

Never every heard it. I'll look for it.

Jesus, how did I miss this? I have been at both of Doyle's London sessions (RAH and Barbican). Shameful. Well, at least the playlist is updated and The Creation is there as a show-off instead of an encore. The endless 'melodic' piano and strings stuff that Doyle feels he has to bring in. Patrick - when we come to your concerts, we want the 'drunk, over-the-top Herrmann' as I think you referred to yourself once. This:

• 2 weeks later...

The bagpipes?! No......does anyone in this world, if not a misguided besmitten Braveheart fan, actually bear the sound of those monsters?

Also not massively convinced by this Doyle piece - it is part of his later years, the type of stuff that made Brave somewhat anonymous and that made me completely turn off Artemis Fowl after a few tracks - I mean, I frigging love Doyle and go see him if possible at concerts, but he can be his worst enemy with banal nonsense like this, go back to the 90s Patrick and let that drunk Herrmann loose.

11 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Has traces of Stu Philipps Battlestar Galactica theme. Or?

Oh yeah, it does a bit, although the rising theme later on reminds me of George Fenton's main theme from The Memphis Belle.

Kinda ironic that it reminds you of Stu P's Galactica music when it's Bear McCreary that used the bagpipes so frequently in his music for the remake!

As I said in my earlier comments, I really enjoyed this piece, much more interesting than his slightly stodgy Coronation March, although perhaps in retrospect Corasik remains the best of the bunch.

I wonder if this was recorded "properly" for album release, it would certainly be good to have this on work on album, plus a better performed and recorded version of his Coronation March.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think I know what the upcoming animated film is.

Dreamworks cancelled a movie called B.O.O: Bureau of Otherworldly Operations around ten years ago. It went really far into production. Apparently it was almost complete. Doyle was set to score it, having worked with the director on Igor (and later The Emoji Movie).

According to Variety, the movie has been revived and will be released this year. Most Anticipated Movie Performances 2024: Lady Gaga, Ariana Grande (variety.com)

The movie will likely be bad, but it's at least a fairly high profile gig, and I really like the score for The Emoji Movie.