Official Patrick Doyle Thread

Bespin

3 hours ago, Thor said:

No "proper" sci fi, AFAIK. I suppose THOR comes closest, but I've never really considered superhero things sci fi in the strictest sense of the word. Alternatively RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES. Would have LOVED to hear him take it all out with a space sci fi, though.

I wish that Doyle had scored the whole Apes trilogy. I generally quite enjoy Gia’s music but nothing he wrote for the second and third apes movies comes close to Doyle’s apes score.

Doyle basically never scores sequels, except in the case of Death on the Nile, so it was really a missed opportunity for with Apes.

2 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

On LBC, Aleexander Armstrong for Classic FM: Doyle composed 'a number of Harry Potter pieces'.

He ain't wrong. 

1 hour ago, JTW said:

Jon Burlingame asked them to. 

The Shit Emoji Theme Composer Patrick Doyle on Writing King Charles III’s Coronation March, Royal Friendship

2 hours ago, Mr. Who said:

"3 minutes 55, with reverb for the Abbey" :lol:

I'm confused. I'm reading everywhere that a complete album of all the music and speeches is coming out (DG, do you read me, complete speeches). Apparently the digital one should have been released a day ago and the CD is coming in a week, but I can't find either the digital one or the tracklist. What's going on? This is not a good start to his reign!

EDIT: OOH! 8000 POSTS!

On 06/05/2023 at 11:25 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

Nice indeed, but I was hoping for something a bit more special. 

I may be biased, but Doyle has been mostly disappoiting since HP IV.

Death On The Nile did 't leave any lasting impression on me.

Thor and Apes are weird in that even though Doyle is obviously adapting his voice to fit modern blockbuster sensibilities, the narratives are really, really strong in both. There's a lot going on in both of those scores. I think they're more interesting than Eragon and The Last Legion, even if the later two are more overtly Doyle.

6 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Ah, one of the coolest Bruckner motets.

5 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Since Goblet of Fire, I liked Eragon and The Last Legion.

From what I remember, both a very, very vanilla. The only thing I can recall from them is the theme from Eragon.

Doyle's best post-Potter, of those that I've heard, are Brave and Cinderella.

10 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Doyle's best post-Potter, of those that I've heard, are Brave and Cinderella.

I wasn't a fan of Brave, I thought it was a little boring, mostly because I preferred his action-packed scores for other fantasy movies. 

Cinderella, on the other hand, was really good! Certainly one of his best of the last decade.

5 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I wasn't a fan of Brave, I thought it was a little boring, mostly because I preferred his action-packed scores for other fantasy movies. 

Cinderella, on the other hand, was really good! Certainly one of his best of the last decade.

Brave is better than you think. The commercial album really didn’t do it justice. There’s more action in the complete score.

Yavar

In complete form, Brave has a lot of short, goofy stingers that kill the momentum, but like Yavar said the official album omits a lot of great music. For my personal edit, I dropped a lot of the stingers and combined several of the shorter cues to improve the overall flow. Having lived with it for several years, Brave is now my favorite Patrick Doyle score hands down.

9 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I forgot, this was post-Potter, too:

This has he same harmonic structure and melody line like Harry Joins Hagrid in the Forrest from HP4!

46 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

This has he same harmonic structure and melody line like Harry Joins Hagrid in the Forrest from HP4!

Yes. Harmonically Mr. Doyle has a tendency to repeat himself a lot. He has a handfull of favourite chords and chord progressions. 

I consider AS YOU LIKE IT (2006) his last great, major score. But there have been a handful of fine scores since that are more uneven, but with some great highlights: LA LIGNE DROITE, BRAVE, CINDERELLA, THE EMOJI MOVIE and ALL IS TRUE.

Be sure to check out this son Patrick Neil Doyle too, whose NAE PASARAN score from 2018 was a major highlight that year. He's clearly inherited his dad's talent.

10 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Ah, one of the coolest Bruckner motets.

Had to give it a listen and yes, blimey, what a fine work - a few passages remind me of Shore's Lord of the Rings. Bruckner really went all out with his choral music, it's a lot more bracing and epic (to use a slightly naff but apt description!) than one expects from religious music of the period. I'm sure you're familiar with his three masses. I think quite a few people round here who've never heard of Bruckner would probably quite enjoy some of his choral music (and symphonies).

Oh yeah, Patrick Doyle... Eragon has a great theme, but it's repeated a bit too often from what I recall.

A few honourable mentions for more recent Doyle scores... Secondhand Lions and Nanny McPhee, both of which are terrific. The final cue from the latter in particular is outstanding.

Doyle is mixed for me, but for all of his scores that sort of pass me by, a bunch are really interesting.

Personal favourites (other than Goblet) are Cinderella, All Is True, Brave and Death on the Nile. Eragon has a nice theme but the rest of that score doesn't seem to do very much other than restate it quite a lot, although I do seem to remember a nice melody in 'Passing the Flame'.

On 23/04/2023 at 10:09 PM, ddddeeee said:

Doyle concert in Scotland this year to celebrate his 70th birthday. Peter Capaldi and Richard E. Grant will be appearing.

RSNO 2023/24: Patrick Doyle’s Music from the Movies — Glasgow Life

Just booked my ticket.

This sounds great. I'm very tempted to book.

14 hours ago, LSH said:

This sounds great. I'm very tempted to book.

I'm definitely going to go (with Ben Folds in London at the start of the week!). I recall that both Peter Capaldi and Richard E Grant were at PD's concert in London in 2013 which I'm guessing was his 60th birthday concert. It was just after Peter Capaldi had been announced as the 13th Doctor and he was sitting at the end of our row so I got an autograph and a pic (while singularly failing to get one from Patrick Doyle... oops). He assumed I was a Thick of It fan (given my age) and so wrote "fuck off... Peter Capaldi" on my ticket lol. I did have to explain that I was a fan of both and looked forward to him as the Doctor. Think he was only just getting used to the attention.

Funnily enough, I don't actually know why (aside from also being Scottish!) Peter Capaldi would be featured at such a concert. I know that PD scored Wah-Wah for Richard E Grant but I can't see that Peter Capaldi starred in or directed something that PD scored, unless they are just friends.

2 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I'm definitely going to go (with Ben Folds in London at the start of the week!).

Oh, that does sound tempting them being so close together, although the Doyle concert overlaps with our choir rehearsal weekend, so I can't really make it anyway. I was hoping Folds would come back to Vienna, but it looks like he's touring all of Europe except for that.

6 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Oh, that does sound tempting them being so close together, although the Doyle concert overlaps with our choir rehearsal weekend, so I can't really make it anyway. I was hoping Folds would come back to Vienna, but it looks like he's touring all of Europe except for that.

Well Ben Folds is a birthday treat and not seen him live for a number of years, last time was when he was touring with the string quartet and he did a movement from his piano concerto as well at Covent Garden I think. Shame he's not stopping in Vienna, nowhere nearby you could get a train to see him?

I can't believe it'll be 10 years since the Doyle concert I went to though... blimey.

I've never seen Doyle live, and Folds only the one time he was in Vienna touring with the Way to Normal album, way back in 2011. He hasn't been here since (I'd love to see him live with an orchestra doing Rock this Bitch). I suppose I should keep an eye on his other tour stops around Austria, but so far I haven't been in the habit of doing a trip abroad just for one concert with no surrounding sightseeing plans. I'm always happy to go back to London, and I've long been wanting to make a trip to Scotland, so Folds/Doyle would have been a nice fit.

(I'm also tempted by Belshazzar's Feast at the Proms - at this point I've pretty much given up expecting it to ever be performed in Vienna again - but that also conflicts with another appointment, and apparently that just went on sale today, so if I ever make up my mind, tickets will probably be long gone by then).

19 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I've never seen Doyle live, and Folds only the one time he was in Vienna touring with the Way to Normal album, way back in 2011. He hasn't been here since (I'd love to see him live with an orchestra doing Rock this Bitch). I suppose I should keep an eye on his other tour stops around Austria, but so far I haven't been in the habit of doing a trip abroad just for one concert with no surrounding sightseeing plans. I'm always happy to go back to London, and I've long been wanting to make a trip to Scotland, so Folds/Doyle would have been a nice fit.

I can't remember what the other Ben Folds concert coincided with, possibly Songs for Silverman, it was a long time ago! Hope he comes your way at some point.

The last Doyle concert was really good so I'm looking forward to seeing him again (well the orchestra and whoever is conducting it!). Emma Thompson did the monologue from the start of Much Ado live which was a great addition.

I had a really nice chat with Doyle at the WSA 2015 afterparty. At least I think it was really nice - I cannot remember a thing about it.

On 13/05/2023 at 2:51 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

(I'm also tempted by Belshazzar's Feast at the Proms - at this point I've pretty much given up expecting it to ever be performed in Vienna again - but that also conflicts with another appointment, and apparently that just went on sale today, so if I ever make up my mind, tickets will probably be long gone by then).

Book, now, Marian!

You cannot afford to miss Walton's masterpiece.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Book, now, Marian!

You cannot afford to miss Walton's masterpiece.

I definitely have to hear it live *someday*. Luckily it's not that rare on UK concert programmes.

• 1 month later...

Just learned about Doyle not being picked up for Branagh and… well, it feels weird. I'm not the biggest Doyle fan, but his music has always been associated to Branagh. Very curious to see what's going on…

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No idea what is going on with Doyle, Branagh etc. Obviously, composing a march for a 'king' no one likes is a career move, of sorts. I do hope Doyle is not a Royalist Tory.....Patrick go back to what you do best , wild orchestrations and melodic bombast, so beautiful and just astonishingly brilliant in tone and scope

I imagine Branagh not choosing Doyle is a studio decision more than anything. Probably so they can put "Score by Academy Award winner Hildur Guðnadóttir" in promotional material. No one will probably see the film anyway. The last one barely made any money (obviously COVID played a part) and both the films have received mixed reviews.

Any guesses as to what the upcoming animated movie might be? I don't see any prior collaborators listed as directing one.

I'm gonna guess that it's not going to be a high profile one. 

16 hours ago, thestat said:

No idea what is going on with Doyle, Branagh etc. Obviously, composing a march for a 'king' no one likes is a career move, of sorts. I do hope Doyle is not a Royalist Tory.....Patrick go back to what you do best , wild orchestrations and melodic bombast, so beautiful and just astonishingly brilliant in tone and scope

That score is soooo good!!