Official Patrick Doyle Thread

Bespin

6 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I thought for a moment it's happening this weekend, but I now realize it's the next.

Week Saturday, 7 May, same day as Harry and Meghan's offspring's birthday apparently... what an oversight! Perhaps PD will write some music for that.

16 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

If it really is just about Doyle not having time, I would be fine with that. But why choose a composer that's soo different from his style then??

He could've asked someone like Rachel Portman

It does seem quite odd, it's not like Doyle can't do elegant horror/suspense scoring - I mean, he's pretty damn great at it. Maybe he has some other big project he's working on (aside from the coronation) so something had to give, although I can't think what he'd be working on, film wise, that would result in him giving up a Branagh gig, but unless he and Branagh had a falling out, I can't imagine Branagh thinking this was outside of Doyle's skillset.

53 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

... and long should you.

I have very detailed, and extensive plans to be absolutely nowhere near a fucking TV, on that day.

I don't care if it's "history", I'm not watching it.

As I mentioned, I'll be in France, which should do the trick!

6 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

... and long should you.

I have very detailed, and extensive plans to be absolutely nowhere near a fucking TV, on that day.

I don't care if it's "history", I'm not watching it.

I'm watching it from a historical point of view, but I need to find an abnormally long movie for Eurovision later in the month.

Maybe Doyle has a schedule issue; maybe a producer or someone higher than Branagh on the pecking order mandated a change in composer.

No question Doyle could've done this - I love his score to Nile which was dark and tense when needed.

4 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Maybe Doyle has a schedule issue; maybe a producer or someone higher than Branagh on the pecking order mandated a change in composer.

No question Doyle could've done this - I love his score to Nile which was dark and tense when needed.

Both scores are good but I actually prefer Nile over Orient Express. The way in which Doyke uses his themes with different variations throughout the score is brilliant. It’s a real shame that he isn’t scoring Venice…

4 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Anyone who chooses to replace Doyle if he's available is a complete, utter idiot.

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

... except when it's with John Williams :)

I mean, we had this scenario play out in reality, with Stepmom. And thanks to a leak of Doyle's Stepmom score last year, we all can hear how good it is and that the Williams score was not really an improvement.

Yavar

2 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

And thanks to a leak of Doyle's Stepmom score last year

Really?

3 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

we all can hear how good it is and that the Williams score was not really an improvement.

I don't doubt it.

On 26/04/2023 at 10:21 PM, JNHFan2000 said:

I hope we get an explanation from either Brannagh or Doyle. Because they worked together on every single film he directed since the 80's. Real shame.

Not every single one, though almost all of them. Doyle wasn't involved with Belfast, as Tom pointed out (in lieu of a very fitting songtrack), and also didn't score 1995's A Winter's Tale - for health reasons I believe (though he does have a cameo in the film).

Doyle not doing this one is a bit worrying though, given how close he and Branagh usually are, and that he's already scored the other films in the series.

21 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Not every single one, though almost all of them. Doyle wasn't involved with Belfast, as Tom pointed out (in lieu of a very fitting songtrack), and also didn't score 1995's A Winter's Tale - for health reasons I believe (though he does have a cameo in the film).

Doyle not doing this one is a bit worrying though, given how close he and Branagh usually are, and that he's already scored the other films in the series.

I am wondering if maybe PD decided it was safer to clear his schedule for the coronation commission rather than risk having a clash trying to finish a movie score. He's been doing lots of media work so, while it may not have taken him long to write a 4 minute processional, the associated obligations behind the scenes might be considerably more than we might suppose at face value. I'd be astonished if PD and KB have fallen out.

The guy is Oscar-nominated, scored a Harry Potter movie and even a MCU blockbuster... And yet Variety chose to remember him for the awful Emoji movie.

I bet it was a fan of the JW Potter scores who is still bitter Williams didn't do GoF 😅

Wtf, I had no idea Doyle had even done the 'Emoji Movie'. I just looked it up and I'd confused it with the one Chris Columbus directed (Pixels).

But yeah... Potter composer or Branagh regular.

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Which science fiction score(s) has Doyle done?

No "proper" sci fi, AFAIK. I suppose THOR comes closest, but I've never really considered superhero things sci fi in the strictest sense of the word. Alternatively RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES. Would have LOVED to hear him take it all out with a space sci fi, though.

35 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

So many fantastic films on his resume and that is the one they put in the title.

You're right, of course. It's not a bad score though. The title track is a lot of fun.

What a ridiculously disrespectful title by Variety. 
Btw. Patrick Doyle writes a good score even for an animated movie like The Emoji Movie. Just because a film isn’t good that doesn’t mean the score is bad too.

Doyle is one of the best film composers in the business, regardless of what film or social event he writes music for. 

21 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein can also be considered "science fiction", no?

I suppose technically it's science fiction, but I would label it more 'gothic horror'.

22 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Cinderella

CINDERELLA is straightup fantasy, as far as I'm concerned.

38 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein can also be considered "science fiction", no?

The novel is often called the first science fiction novel, so yes.

K.J. Yossman is International Correspondent at Variety, based out of London, where she covers international film and TV markets (and occasionally music). She was previously freelance, writing for publications including ELLE, The New York Times, The LA Times and Animation Magazine, and prior to that was a diary reporter at the print edition of the Daily Mail. She loves theme parks, cheerleader movies and chocolate.

2 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

I mean writing music for the coronation is more embarrassing than scoring The Emoji Movie.

yes, unless you troll everybody tracking something funny in it