Zack Snyder's Rebel Moon

A24

• 4 months later...

Zack Snyder’s Two ‘Rebel Moon’ Movies Are Getting Two Cuts Each: One ‘Anyone Can Enjoy,’ and One That’s Explicit and for Adults Only

Aha! The second option is calling my name!

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is the only film that Netflix has been advertising for more than a mo th in advance.

Usually they release one trailer a few weeks before a film releases.

So they must feel really confindent about this.

I think it looks great so far and am very excited to see what this looks like.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, MaxMovieMan said:

I’m so tired of these Part 1 Part 2 films. Just give us a complete whole product for once god almighty.

Hollywood believes the best way to compete with shows is to make movies LONGER, whereas they should make them MORE COMPACT AND IMPACTFUL in my opinion :(

4 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

The trailer looks like a mixture of Dune, Percy Jackson... and everything else. 

4 hours ago, AC1 said:

A little bit of John Carter too. And Star Wars of course.

Nails on head.

It offers nothing we haven't seen, or heard, before.

As I said... avoid.

Watched the trailer and: why not? It looks and feels like a million other stuff, but I did really enjoy some of them so…

I believe Snyder can make good movies. Not sure when he writes them entirely like for 300 and Sucker Punch

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Nails on head.

It offers nothing we haven't seen, or heard, before.

As I said... avoid.

I'm just gonna watch Jaws, even though I have seen, or heard it, before.

2 hours ago, Brónach said:

I'm just gonna watch Jaws, even though I have seen, or heard it, before.

But Jaws has great characters. So far, I've only seen bland video game characters in Rebel Moon.

Even Hopkins (narration) doesn't feel like he's into it.

46 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

JAWS is so fucking good, that, if you took out the shark, you'd still have a brilliant film.

And that's mostly because of Williams' score.

It doesn't matter what is below the water. The 2 notes are terrifying either way.

Funny story:

My sister is so scared of sharks that she never even finished the film because the music was too much.

The funniest part is that even when she's in a pool and you humm the 2 notes, she goes bonkers. Love it!!

No other film score does that.

Sorry for talking about Jaws in a Rebel Moon thread.

I think it looks good and fun. I'll wait for full judgement after I've seen the film

35 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Sorry for talking about Jaws in a Rebel Moon thread.

Don't be; I did :)

36 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Funny story:

My sister is so scared of sharks that she never even finished the film because the music was too much.

The funniest part is that even when she's in a pool and you hum the 2 notes, she goes bonkers. Love it!!

No other film score does that.

Don't you just love classical conditioning? :lol:

18 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Funny story:

The funniest part is that even when she's in a pool and you humm the 2 notes, she goes bonkers. Love it!!

Sounds like either you are a sadist or you hate your sister's guts.

• 2 months later...

I'm all 'fantasy-ed' out at this point in time (was never a big fan to begin with, outside LOTR), but SPACE OPERA, I'm always game for. Especially when in the hands of visionaries like Snyder. Trailer looks good (if you just ignore the trailer music, which I always do)!

In the meantime I find it kind of boring, when the powerful empire is always shown just greedy, cruel, merciless and stupid.

I would rather like to see such a rebel story with an empire appearing smart with good intentions starting off fine, but then later things getting out of hands, old conflicts breaking open, each side having a moral justification for what they are doing but running into a spiral of violence.

That is why for example Thanos in the MCU was such a great villain. Because he had basically good intentions.

But this looks kind of flat... and a bit too expensive to be that flat.

52 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I would rather like to see such a rebel story with an empire appearing smart with good intentions starting off fine

I think I read that in one of the early drafts of Episode IX, the First Order was portrayed as taking over but being relatively benevolent. Authoritarian, yes, but the galaxy had order to it and was basically at "peace"...in that there was an absence of war.

And if people are relatively content with their day-to-day lives, and have their basic needs met, there isn't always an appetite for violent rebellion for abstract freedoms. So if a bunch of rebels come along and start busting things up, it makes people start to question who the "good guys" really are.

I think this would have been a much more interesting take, and set The First Order apart from the Empire. Of course, that's way too much nuance for JJ Abrams, so...

Anyway, apparently Rebel Moon started out as Snyder's pitch to LucasFilm for a more gritty Star Wars movie, so it's unsurprising that's what it looks like. 

A mega flop in the pipes. Is that not the Apple Foundation show that is being brought about by its Apple roots. Jesus, I did not think it was going to be  this bad. ...... feel sorry for the crew that made it. 

• 1 month later...

I like this! Especially the strings and vocal work. And when it's more down-tempo. Looks like a pretty well curated album too, less than 60 minutes.

Just saw the film and absolutely LOVED it! Easily in the top 10 of the year. I do have some issues with the dialogue, but other than that, it's exactly what I hoped and expected a Zack Snyder space opera to be.

I Initially had no real desire to see this, but the internet chorus has been so uniform in their absolute bashing of this film that I think there may actually be something worth watching here. 

I sense a cult classic in the making.