Zack Snyder's Rebel Moon

A24

11 hours ago, Thor said:

Just saw the film and absolutely LOVED it! Easily in the top 10 of the year. I do have some issues with the dialogue, but other than that, it's exactly what I hoped and expected a Zack Snyder space opera to be.

I saw that coming. 

8 hours ago, A24 said:

In a sense Rebel Moon is more Star Wars so you people have no other choice. Have fun!

4 hours ago, A24 said:

At IMDb, anything under 7/10 (give or take) is questionable.

You’re such a snob creamers!!!! 😀😜

10 hours ago, A24 said:

In a sense Rebel Moon is more Star Wars so you people have no other choice. Have fun!

46 years from now there'll be a website called THFan.com. Although theoretically the site is supposed to be about Holkenborg's whole career, in practice everyone will spend most of their time talking about the Rebel Moon saga.

There will be threads such as "Rebel Moon is better than everything!" and "Rebel Moon Disenchantment", where people will mostly complain about the state of the saga after Snyder sold it for billions to Disney.

18 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

... after Snyder sold it for billions to Disney.

Only then praise will come.

The sad news is (for adult graphic novel Snyder fans like me) that the Rebel Moon franchise for Netflix will be occupying Zack Snyder for the next 6 years or so. Like I've always said, he shouldn't be writing his own stories and dialog, he just need to take a 'classic' adult graphic novel and make it come alive on the big screen in his typical and signature hyper-stylized Snyder style. He's really good at that and it's what used to set him apart from other directors. 

On 20/01/2023 at 9:38 AM, A24 said:

Well, somebody had to create this thread, right?

Fmy-Fl-RGa-MAAMRu7.jpg

And Junkie XL has just been assigned to write the score. What more can we wish for?! (don't answer that)

Perhaps he'll finally be able to afford a pair of whole pants.

8 hours ago, A24 said:

At IMDb, anything under 7/10 (give or take) is questionable.

It got 1 out of 4 stars over at rogerebert.com:

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/rebel-moon-film-review-2023

I watched it (in two sessions) and it was really bad. The kind of bad that I can watch though. But make no mistake, this is Zack Snyder's worst movie ever. BTW, it's more The Magnificent Seven than it is Star Wars.  

Rebel-Moon-1-min.jpg

And Zack keeps using this lens (not a film lens) and I hate it! (look at the terrible bokeh)

I haven't seen it, and probably never will, but I have the feeling that, a few years from now, this movie (and its sequel) will get the "you know what? it wasn't as bad as people thought when it was released" treatment.

Actually, Snyder himself has envisioned this happening in the future, which is why he prepared the director's cut (why that director's cut, if it's indeed superior, wasn't the one released on Netflix on the first place is a complete mystery to me). He probably is already dreaming with the "Rebel Moon wasn't so bad as people thought, as long as you see the director's cut" opinion pieces on Variety, Hollywood Reporter, IGN, etc., that will inevitably come up in a few years.

10 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Instead of watching this shit, watch the original Star Wars, the Star Trek movies, the Harry Potter series and Blade Runner.

And the LOTR trilogy :)

Plus, in Rebel Moon's case, Kurozawa's Seven Samurai.

Recently watched the old "The Magnificent Seven". That was fun. Far faaar better movie. 

If Rebel Moon was one of the best movies of the year, then the movie industry is really in trouble.

I watched Rebel Moon when it came out. I thought it started off alright, but it just never got anywhere. Meandering. Even when they got off the planet, I still had a feeling that nothing was really happening. By the time spider lady came on screen I had completely lost interest and decided to continue another day. I pushed through a couple of days later but found the latter half as uninspired as the first.

Instead of seeing this, you people should just watch the best "Seven Samurai on outer space" movie.

Battle Beyond the Stars (1980) - IMDb

It's a better movie with an infinitely superior score!

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Instead of seeing this, you people should just watch the best "Seven Samurai on outer space" movie.

It's a better movie with an infinitely superior score!

Exsqueeze me, but 'Battle Beyond the Stars' is an HORROR.

I watched it for the first time in my life a few days ago, and it reminded me of the quality found in an Ed Wood movie, albeit in color... Well, if you can call the utilization of monochrome light spots as the primary composition in several key scenes a characteristic of a 'color' movie.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

But the spaceship really has balls.

1gd9ghznj0i41.webp

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

This is the one that reuses the same spaceship shot a bunch of times?

That's a stellar cast... Sybil Danning? Yes, please!

6 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I haven't seen it, and probably never will

That goes for almost every movie ever made.

I have the feeling that, a few years from now, this movie (and its sequel) will get the "you know what? it wasn't as bad as people thought when it was released" treatment.

💯

why that director's cut, if it's indeed superior, wasn't the one released on Netflix on the first place is a complete mystery to me

Is it really a mystery?

1 hour ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

That goes for almost every movie ever made.

r/technicallythetruth/

1 hour ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Is it really a mystery?

Using common sense, it makes no sense to release an inferior* version if you have all the conditions to release the superior* version. I'm sure Netflix, unlike Warner Bros, wouldn't be against releasing a four hour R-Rated ultra-violent and ultra-sexy cut of Rebel Moon. 

But I think Snyder wants to build his mystique or something like that. He saw how beloved his Justice League cut was with his fans and now he's trying a similar thing. In the end, it's nothing but marketing for his movie. 

Sure, it won't please the critics nor a lot of people who still took their time to watch the inferior cut. But the diehard Snyder fanboy will love it. And, on this day and age, it's not a problem not to please people that may not care for you and your work, as long as you look amazing on the eyes of your followers, fans and cultists.

*"inferior" and "superior" according to Snyder himself, I haven't seen any of those cuts of his movie (and, as I said, probably never will).

9 hours ago, Edmilson said:

But I think Snyder wants to build his mystique or something like that. He saw how beloved his Justice League cut was with his fans and now he's trying a similar thing. In the end, it's nothing but marketing for his movie. 

Well exactly. That's my point...it's really not a mystery what they're doing. Netflix clearly wants some of that Snyder Cut energy. Who knows if it will end up being a better version, probably not. But it's the version I'll wait for, if I watch it at all.

7 hours ago, Bayesian said:

Also, I’m getting pretty tired of every last character in movies like Rebel Moon speaking like they all went to boarding school. Every damn character speaks with such ponderous solemnity all the fucking time. No contractions, no folksy vernacular, no conversational humor. Just the goddamned King’s English, no matter the mood, no matter the scene or setting or context. A character from a Luddite farming community speaks no differently from a senior warmongering officer? Really? That’s just lazy, lazy, lazy. And it makes movies like Rebel Moon boring

Yes, that is my one big caveat with the film. Snyder has such a rich and big visual landscape, he doesn't need pompous dialogue on top. It's like he took the space opera thing literally, creating an over-the-top libretto to match the images. But that isn't really necessary. There are so many good qualities with this film, he could have toned down that a bit. That's one of the big success factors of STAR WARS - some people, like the Emperor, speaks in a pompous style, while the regular folks, like Luke Skywalker, just mind their own everyday business ("But I was going to the Tosche station to pick up some power converters!"). It's a good way to denote class differences.

But hey -- in the scheme of things, that's not enough to drag down my very positive experience of this film - love the SEVEN SAMURAI-like plot, love the mise-en-scene, loved the music, loved the performances, loved the neat visual ideas and inserts etc. etc. He's created a universe I really want to explore further, and I hope he gets the opportunity to. 

Apart from how the characters speak my bigger issue is, that the characters of that group somehow hardly speak to eachother. They don't manage to appear as a team, people, like the woman with the two swords just holds a monologue, not even has any conversation with anyone. No relations between the characters, just a figure in a game.

That for example was something very well handled in Rogue One. But even there I always had to smile when the imperial pilot introduces himself as "I am the pilot." Because how would he know, that anyone of the group knows about him. The viewer knows. So, here he more speaks to the viewer of the movie than to the characters in the story.

• 2 months later...

There's even a guy deflecting bullets with a light sword. This has to be the worst franchise ever. 

5 minutes ago, A24 said:

This has to be the worst franchise ever. 

Grunts in the direction of Fifty Shades.

Its kind of important to have these trash film series.

We have such amazing and seminal film series...but they wouldn't be nearly as awesome were it not for having a kind of nexus in the form of patently trash film series as their counterparts.