General movie chitchat

Jay

2 hours ago, A24 said:

I watched it but don't remember a thing. The best 'zombie' movie for me is 28 Days Later, which portrayed a world that is more real and tangible to me.

I still need to see this and its sequel I’ve heard good things.

38 minutes ago, A24 said:

Really? I disliked Zombieland 1 and had to switch it off, because towards the ending, I got tired of it. I don't understand why people like that franchise.

That’s neck and neck with Shaun for my favorite zombie film :( Although I need to see the sequel.

I haven’t seen a ton of zombie movies.  I’ve seen Romero’s Night and Dawn, and then some modern stuff.  If the first Evil Dead counts (it was on the Letterboxd zombie movie list I just glanced at) it would be my favorite zombie movie.  If not, I’d land somewhere between 28 Days Later (not Weeks) and Pontypool.  Shaun is too much of a comedy for me to be into it as a horror movie, but it’s fun.  I like it better than Zombieland/2, which feel kind of style over substance.  

The other ~15 I’ve seen were nice but unmemorable distractions or complete shit.  Walking Dead has probably some of the best zombie Stuff in it, but so much else in it was bad that I couldn’t with good conscience call it good.  The Last of Us (show version) is terrific but has so few undead that it almost doesn’t seem to fit the category).

We also like Paranorman, a zombie and ghost movie from Laika that is a Halloween favorite with our kid.

38 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Amuses me that World War Z's end credits list Peter Capaldi's character as 'WHO Doctor'.  

Ha, ha. That's clever (if intended...yeah, I get the double meaning).

11 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

... especially the first album, which is still my favourite.

Side two is sublime.

Love 'em all, really. Including a couple of Mark's solo albums, primarily GOLDEN HEART and SAILING TO PHILADELPHIA (and SCREENPLAYING for film music). BROTHERS IN ARMS was hugely influential in my youth, although LOVE OVER GOLD eventually (and of course) came to replace it as their alltime best.

39 minutes ago, Thor said:

Ha, ha. That's clever (if intended...yeah, I get the double meaning).

World War Z was in theaters on June 2.  Capaldi was announced as the twelfth Doctor on August 3.  It wasn't intentional.

29 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Movie was released before his Doctor casting was announced, I think. Just one of those fun coincidences. 

What am I, chopped liver?!? 

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Yep, that's a good'un, but nothing on BROTHERS IN ARMS compares to "Telegraph Road".

Oh, if it was Love Over Gold I'd be picketing Wright's house!

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Love 'em all, really. Including a couple of Mark's solo albums, primarily GOLDEN HEART and SAILING TO PHILADELPHIA (and SCREENPLAYING for film music). BROTHERS IN ARMS was hugely influential in my youth, although LOVE OVER GOLD eventually (and of course) came to replace it as their alltime best.

I think it was sometime in 2015 that I realized that the person on the cover of Local Hero was Peter Capaldi. I had been looking at this picture for almost as long as I had been watching Doctor Who!

35 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

No, but I saw it on VHS fairly shortly thereafter.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, A24 said:

The movies of Michael Bay already feel like they are made by AI.

I was waiting for someone to say that, and of course the "joke" doesn't make sense. Bay has too many distinguishable features; too much of a singular voice to be made by an A.I.. One could of course ask an A.I. to make a film IN THE STYLE OF Michael Bay, but that's then based on a formula that he himself -- as a living person -- has already established.

And that goes to the core of the article, that A.I. just imitates, it doesn't create, so there's no need for worry just yet.

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

I was waiting for someone to say that, and of course the "joke" doesn't make sense. Bay has too many distinguishable features; too much of a singular voice to be made by an A.I.. One could of course ask an A.I. to make a film IN THE STYLE OF Michael Bay, but that's then based on a formula that he himself -- as a living person -- has already established.

And that goes to the core of the article, that A.I. just imitates, it doesn't create, so there's no need for worry just yet.

It's the feeling I get. I can't go against my own feelings, Thor.

6 minutes ago, A24 said:

It's the feeling I get. I can't go against my own feelings, Thor.

You can. Just ask yourself a simple question: Would there be so many parodies on Michael Bay's style in popular culture if there wasn't a distinguishable style there to begin with? (whether one likes that style or not is a different question).

9 minutes ago, Thor said:

At least the scripts could have been generated by AI.

But I think, what people often overlook, when they complain, that AI just reproduces and mixes up existing stuff: That is the same way how human script writers work. They read stuff, they learn stuff from existing stuff, they reproduce their work from what they have learned. Same as the AI. Then there hopefully is a gift in the writer to contribute something unique in a senseful brillant and original way. But a lot of stuff, that we claim as our own ideas are just echoes of what we learned in the past. Look just at the songwriting topic. Most copied ideas there are stolen unconciously. The difference to AI is, that about  AI everybody knows that it is just a cook of data stew.

16 hours ago, A24 said:

The movies of Michael Bay already feel like they are made by AI.

12 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Not really. I think @Thor is right on this one. Bay has a distinct style and cadence to his films that I don't think AI would have produced. Whatever you think of them, I don't think AI creates The Rock or Armageddon or The Island.  I don't think if you asked AI to make a Pearl Harbor movie, it wouldn't look anything like what we got. Love or hate those films, they're not generic. At least, they weren't when he made them.

By contrast, look at some of the Bay imitators, say the unwatchably awful "...Has Fallen" films (Olympus, London et. al.)...those feel like they could have been written by AI. 

In fact they probably were (albeit an older, stupider version).

4 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Not really. I think @Thor is right on this one. Bay has a distinct style and cadence to his films that I don't think AI would have produced. Whatever you think of them, I don't think AI creates The Rock or Armageddon or The Island. I'm not even a fan of Bay, but I don't think if you asked AI to make a Pearl Harbor movie, it would look anything like what we got. Love or hate those films, they're not generic. At least, they weren't when he made them.

By contrast, look at some of the Bay imitators, say the unwatchably awful "...Has Fallen" films (Olympus, London et. al.)...those feel like they could have been written by AI. 

In fact they probably were (albeit an older, stupider version).

michael bay's films feel like the opposite of the "made by "ai" " sentiment (automatized predictions of averages and such), which is really funny

the bad imitators don't need "ai" for it: a human is a much more eficient way to generate copypaste of structures and cliches as needed.

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

A sign of the danger of losing their livelihoods most Hollywood professionals (and I don't mean the superstar actors, directors and producers) are now facing:

Jeffrey Katzenberg Says A.I. Will Eliminate 90 Percent of Artist Jobs on Animated Films

If AI is that powerful then AI will eliminate the need for Hollywood studios.

14 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

If AI is that powerful then AI will eliminate the need for Hollywood studios.

That's what I have been saying.

do they think automatized filth is going to have blockbuster appeal?

is the audience meant to be software? this issue has already plagued some webs for illustration, flooded by generated pictures of no interest to humans in there. i felt they were this close to have automatized profiles for imaginary artists, automatized audiences that leave comments, and so on. only problem is they whine so much about generated stuff not being "good" to train programs (there you have your answer about how good it is), so that's a possible obstacle in the race towards an imaginary audience.

20 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

And the direction. 

I don't see AI just as a copy of something but as a machine that doesn't have a soul. Have you ever seen AI generated images of nature? Of women (babes)? Well, I get the same feeling when I watch a Michael Bay movie. I see a lot of technical marvel but no soul. I don't connect with the human behind the movie. I see 'chaos' instead of 'vision'.

Of course, AI is still early stages. I was against GCI as well, it wasn't the same as seeing a miniature model, but today my resistance towards digital FX is low. Who knows, maybe we just stop caring after a while.

2 hours ago, A24 said:

I don't see AI just as a copy of something but as a machine that doesn't have a soul. Have you ever seen AI generated images of nature? Of women (babes)? Well, I get the same feeling when I watch a Michael Bay movie. I see a lot of technical marvel but no soul. I don't connect with the human behind the movie. I see 'chaos' instead of 'vision'.

Superbly choreographed chaos. Thankfully, a movie experience is more than character engrossment for me. It's even more about visual flair, mood, places, kinetic energy. Bay is such a master at this -- it's really "pure cinema" -- cemented once again with his brilliant AMBULANCE earlier this year. In that case, the visual tools also mirror the state the characters are in at any given time. No A.I. would be able to create anything like that unless it was told to specifically copy Bay's style -- and THEN it would have no soul.