General movie chitchat

Jay

Killing the Coyote v. Acme movie will long remain in my mind one of the biggest missed opportunities in Hollywood, right alongside Jurassic world dominion. The premise is high-concept in a way we haven’t seen in ages and bursting with comedic potential. 

I’d really enjoy it if some other studio someday picks up the rights to make this film, same cast, same everything, and earns $500M at the box office with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that they own Star Wars, it's likely not something they're interested in, but I wish Disney would give John Carter another go. That franchise has a lot of great possibilities. 

Though they'd probably make it Jane Carter.

10 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Now that they own Star Wars, it's likely not something they're interested in, but I wish Disney would give John Carter another go. That franchise has a lot of great possibilities.

they already have star wars

So, that's Disney just before they bought Star Wars, I understand better now. It's not bad, but it doesn't reinvent anything. It's a story we've seen a thousand times, actually. I'm kind of looking forward to it being over, hehe.

20231210_105255.jpg

I understand that it's adapted from an old novel, but perhaps they should have considered changing the title, the galaxy (Mars doesn't seem fitting today), the hero's outfit (come on), and the dated 'princess-to-marry' concept.

13 minutes ago, Presto said:

They did!

I know, but not sufficiently. I wonder if people would have wanted to see a movie titled "Luke Skywalker" in theaters! :D

When Jay suggested me "Jack Carter", I thought it would be a detective or sport movie.

55 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I understand that it's adapted from an old novel, but perhaps they should have considered changing the title, the galaxy (Mars doesn't seem fitting today), the hero's outfit (come on), and the dated 'princess-to-marry' concept.

they changed like 80% of the novel

retro-mars is the thing to keep, obviously.

The thing with John Carter is, is that it's story and characters are very good and original. But they weren't anymore in 2012 when the film came out.

There are so many films that kinda "stole" from John Carter, so when it arrived itself, it didn't feel as special

• 2 weeks later...

I just found out most of the Mean Girls cast came back for this Walmart ad

I didn't even recognize Lindsay Lohan, I thought they hired a lookalike at first, yikes.  No Rachel McAdams, bummer

• 1 month later...

Agree or disagree with Denis New Village?

“Cinema, since its beginning, has had multiple crises,” Villeneuve now told Time magazine. “There’s always an adjustment, but the river still keeps flowing. The theatrical experience is here for good. It will prevail, it will transform.”

Villeneuve added that he is less concerned about AI and more worried about “the fact that we behave like algorithms, as filmmakers.”

“We’re in a very conservative time; creativity is restricted,” he added. “Everything’s about Wall Street. What will save cinema is freedom and taking risks. And you feel the audience is excited when they see something they haven’t seen before.”

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/denis-villeneuve-hollywood-wall-street-creativity-restricted-1235893405/

Nothing terribly controversial in that, although he should remember his roots as an indie director more. Creativity outside the mainstream is booming.

I think there’s been a push lately towards less franchise oriented films, especially after the failures of most blockbuster-type films since 2020. A24 is probably the most talked about and hyped up studio at this point. Reminds me of a similar transition that happened from the 80s to the 90s.

I don't understand what this Oscar is.

You get a nomination for deciding who will star in a film?

I'm not sure what a casting director actually does.

2 hours ago, filmmusic said:

You get a nomination for deciding who will star in a film?

I'm not sure what a casting director actually does.

I think it's pretty much that. A professional who will help the director, producers, etc., to choose the best actors for each role.

And yeah, I think this is an art form unto itself. Imagine being the person who chose then unknown actors Mark Hamill and Christopher Reeve for the roles of Luke Skywalker and Superman. A great casting can sometimes help elevate a movie.

This has been a long time coming!  Casting is the only title card credit in movies that don't have an Oscar category.  The movie "Casting By" from 2012 covered this well

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casting_By

https://www.backstage.com/magazine/article/casting-aims-give-casting-directors-credit-due-13078/

26 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Madame Web is pissed off

Wait till she sees the box office results for 'Madame Web'...

On 08/02/2024 at 9:53 PM, Edmilson said:

Imagine being the person who chose then unknown actors Mark Hamill and Christopher Reeve for the roles of Luke Skywalker and Superman. A great casting can sometimes help elevate a movie.

To think that the role of Luke Skywalker almost went to Charles Martin Smith of American Graffiti fame.

MV5BNWVhOTlkNTgtMDMzMS00OGRlLWI3ZTgtNmY1

I recently watched "The Desaster Artist" and thought, as Hollywood is known for being to much in love with itself it makes me wonder why nowadays there are not much more making-of movies of famous movies.

Why there is no movie about the making of Jaws, where the shark never worked and there were tons of problems?

Why there is no movie about the making of Bladerunner, a ground breaking science fiction epos.

Why there is no movie about the making of "The Crow" where the lead actor got killed during production and they had to finish without him?

I don't mean just movies, that have scenes of historic film sets like "Hitchcock" or "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood". But more or less the making of the movie, from the initial idea to the premiere as a plot, like in "The Desaster Artist". I would like to watch that. I think, this making-of genre would have a great artistic potential, more than the endless remakes.

Anybody of the same opinion?

12 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Why there is no movie about the making of Jaws, where the shark never worked and there were tons of problems?

You mean the 1.5hr making of docu included with the movie?

12 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Why there is no movie about the making of Bladerunner, a ground breaking science fiction epos.

You mean the 4hr making of docu included with the movie?

They pop up now and then. Although Fincher's MANK (2020) is about more than just the writing of CITIZEN KANE, that film is pretty dead center of the whole narrative.

Being a Hollywood screenwriter is literally bad for your health.

Hollywood Is “Inherently Financially Unstable” for Writers, Survey Finds
Over 500 respondents working in TV and film screenwriting reveal how financial hardship affected their access to food before and during the 2023 strike, as well as flaws in assistance programs designed to help: "The system is not made for those in the gig economy."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/digital/food-insecurity-screenwriters-strikes-humanitas-survey-1235811370/

53 minutes ago, Holko said:

You mean the 1.5hr making of docu included with the movie?

You mean the 4hr making of docu included with the movie?

I don't mean docu. There exist thousands of making of documentaries. I mean actually feature films. Of course I don't expect them to be 100% accurate. I guess, no biopic is. That is the idea about making a feature film. Of course you need a story or multiple stories around it. Good example might be "Shadow of the Vampire" A movie about the making of of Murnau's "Nosferatu" assuming that the main actor, that plays the vampire, is actually a vampire. Why not?

I would love to see a fiction film about the making of APOCALYPSE NOW. The behind-the-scenes documentary THE HEART OF DARKNESS is fascinating as is, but there's plenty of material to build on here. To say nothing of the making of Herzog's FITZCARRALDO and AGUIRRE, with an absolutely bonkers Klaus Kinski.

Jungles bring out the most primal in people.

On 01/12/2023 at 12:18 PM, Bayesian said:

one of the biggest missed opportunities in Hollywood, right alongside Jurassic world dominion

Is there something you know about the making of JWD or are you just saying it was a bad movie and it shouldn't have been?

So today I learned who wrote The Three Amigos. Steve Martin (sure), Lorne Michaels (makes sense), and... RANDY NEWMAN?!?

I haven't seen it since opening night, but I loved it. So I laugh when I hear "audiences of the day didn't get it but it has grown to be a classic" and such. Ground floor, baby!

33 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yeah, potentially excellent news for those who still collect physical media. It should mean that more Disney catalogue titles get released on disc, and hopefully also means existing titles that are only on DVD & HD get an upgrade to UHD. Sony is just better equipped to manufacture & distribute physical media than Disney, and if it's more cost-effective to do so, more titles should see the light of day.

A new Variety report is saying that Warner Bros, the same studio that turned Coyote vs ACME and Batgirl into tax write-offs because "we need to be more cost-effective", now has gone on a spending spree. They're sparing no expenses in order to attract every big name in Hollywood, like Cruise, DiCaprio, Margot Robbie, Michael B. Jordan, Tarantino, Paul Thomas Anderson and Nolan.

The reason: Zaslav may be getting ready to sell the studio.

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/warner-bros-spending-joker-2-budget-tom-cruise-deal-1235917640/