Ridley Scott's NAPOLEON (Martin Phipps, 2023)

Thor

On 29/8/2023 at 11:56 AM, Indianagirl said:

Just as long as I can one day own it on Blu Ray

4K blu-ray. In special edition packaging. Fingers crossed!

On 03/08/2023 at 5:33 PM, Jay said:

I finally saw the trailer last night. LOOKS good, as in the cinematography and set design was terrific. The trailer didn't do a good job of making me interested in the characters or story. 

You can literally read the characters and story on any history site or Wikipedia.

Spoiler: he loses at Waterloo

WHAAAAAAT

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

It's from the Dutch meaning "water", and "forest clearing".

It could also mean "place where Napoleon need a toilet, because he'd just shat himself".

To commemorate our victory, the Brits built a "fuck off" train station.

Which, ironically, used to be the place to take passengers directly to France on the Eurostar...

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Anyone else misses the time when pop songs also taught you history lessons?

ABBA can have the end credits, if The Divine Comedy can have the opening credits or a mid-movie montage...

21 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Do Americans know ABBA besides Dancing Queen?

Not American (!), but my favourite ABBA song is I Am the City even though it's probably one of their most obscure tracks that didn't feature on any of their original albums.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Edit: This is some answer to my own question.

Did this guy work on the movie? If so, since he wouldn't criticize it, the question is qhat good things he would say about it and "Refreshingly thematic" implies that this score has more themes than the usual film score we see these days. I just hope his themes are good!

33 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Did this guy work on the movie? If so, since he wouldn't criticize it, the question is qhat good things he would say about it and "Refreshingly thematic" implies that this score has more themes than the usual film score we see these days. I just hope his themes are good!

He is the music editor and the composer of the period music in the film

On 19/10/2023 at 5:36 PM, Bayesian said:

Thanksgiving can’t get here soon enough! It’s going to play on 70mm, meaning it’s the AMC Metreon for me.

You don't want to wait for the 4-hours Director's Cut? :blink:

35 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Anything approaching that length should be a TV/streaming series instead. No way in hell I'd sit down somewhere other than home to watch that.

Exactly. Well, the sitting-at-home part of it. I don't mind if the film itself nears 4 hours in the extended cut. Plus, we still have Spielberg's Napoleon series in development, AFAIK, for anyone looking for a miniseries treatment. (Woo hoo!)

It annoys me that I'm missing out on the IMAX press screening on November 21st, due to another obligation that collides. I would have wanted to see it on the biggest big screen. Hopefully, it will have enough of a regular run in normal theatres, so I'll be able to watch it that way, before it lands on streaming services.

56 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Anything approaching that length should be a TV/streaming series instead. No way in hell I'd sit down somewhere other than home to watch that.

If the extended cut is just at home, why should it be a series instead. In can still be a long film.

And would you never go to a cinema to watch a long film?

I'll probably take a week to watch the entire 4 hour thing... Sigh.

But even if I was going to watch the entire thing in one sit this is still an Apple movie, right? Which means it'll have to wait until Severance S2, whenever that comes out. 

1 hour ago, JNHFan2000 said:

If the extended cut is just at home, why should it be a series instead. In can still be a long film.

And would you never go to a cinema to watch a long film?

Well yes, series or film, not fussed there - it's mainly the aspect of having to sit in a cinema for four hours straight that I wouldn't do these days.

• 3 weeks later...

Editing feels a bit too fast to give it the gravitas it deserves.

Anyway, I've only popped into this thread to ask...

Does Ridley Scott choose a new composer every time because he's frustrated that no composer can ever match his vision? Or does no composer ever want to work with Ridley Scott twice? Or both!? :P

7 minutes ago, Miz said:

Editing feels a bit too fast to give it the gravitas it deserves.

Anyway, I've only popped into this thread to ask...

Does Ridley Scott choose a new composer every time because he's frustrated that no composer can ever match his vision? Or does no composer ever want to work with Ridley Scott twice? Or both!? :P

Vangelis: Blade Runner and 1492

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The army seriously didn't realise they were walking on ice? Sounds like pure fiction to me.

There's actually some historical accounts which support this, so I wouldn't describe it as "pure fiction". Though what actually happened is controversial among historians. It did happen, but likely not in the way, or to the extent, it's portrayed in the trailers.

In any event, it's not as if Scott made it up out of thin air, and given its obvious cinematic value, I can't blame him for including it.

Firing cannons at the Pyramids, however, is almost certainly pure fiction.

2 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

In any event, it's not as if Scott made it up out of thin air, and given its obvious cinematic value, I can't blame him for including it.

The problem with including it is that it makes the enemy less of a threat.