Harry Potter TV Series in the works

Nick1Ø66

The first season is a bigger task than it might seem because the whole thing is about introducing Harry to a world he's never seen before. The first movie had the advantage of actually doing that to the audience, whereas it will be hard to avoid deja vu. There's enough remaining even in the early books that there will be some cool stuff they can do for the first time, but it also has to have satisfying covers of the greatest hits...

If they can make this feel surprising and worth anticipating every season and preserve continuity without ruining the kids' lives, my hat will be off to them because the odds are stacked against this going as planned and there's no real reason to do this if it's not clear early on that it'll be a huge improvement. And for all their flaws, the movies set a pretty high bar. 

2 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

-Haiku by Pieter Boelen

I put white lines after every sentence to force myself to be short.

Does kind-of make my posts look like poems.

ROTFLMAO

Yeah, early on, they saved money by shooting a lot of Hogwarts interiors and exteriors at Lacock Abbey, Alnwick Castle, Durham Cathedral, Gloucester Cathedral, Oxford, etc. As the series went on, they were able to afford more sets, and the location shoots dwindled. But either way, the castle is very different in the films than in the books.

Definitely in the minority here, but I liked the Yates films quite a bit. In fact I like the look of all these films across the board, and IMO they really nailed, for the most part, the aesthetic and casting in all eight entries.

I think there's definitely an argument to be made that Giliam or especially Del Toro would both make an interesting Potter film. But had Gilliam done the first one, I'm frankly not sure it would have been anywhere near as commercially successful. Columbus, in doing a fairly straight forward, almost "generic" adaptation, really set a foundation that others could build on. There's value in that. Gilliam would have made a quirky, weird movie  that I'm not sure the series needed at that point. There's no way Gilliam would make a film so faithful to the book, and that's what you needed for the first entry, to establish credibility with Rowling's legions of fans. In any event, WB was certainly aiming for something with much broader appeal than what Gilliam would have delivered.

On the other hand, Del Toro sensibilities would have made him an excellent choice for Chamber of Secrets, and had he done so I believe it would be regarded alongside Prisoner of Azkaban as an artistic standout in the series. Not only as part of the series, but like Cuarón's film, an excellent movie in and of itself. 

I think Del Toro would have been a good choice for GOF as well.

They should have broken the bank to bring back Cuáron back for HBP.

I yearn for a director/set designer who instead of looking at a cathedral or an empty warehouse set, opens a book of Potter or even LotR concept art and says 'is it possible to do this?'. A bit like how PJ used Bigatures to realize an ancient location and freeing himself from just what a regular set designer can build. I get turned off how much of the Hobbit is just CG with a camera swooping, but the set design and imagination behind it? Wow!

My slight issue with Cuaron's vision is that he focused a little too much on the characters inhabiting the castle, like the knight breaking through the window, while leaving the bulk of the sets just looking like a large church. I wanted to see sets and 'things' where I look at the screen thinking 'wow! how the hell did you make that?' and not, 'oh, that's a nice cloister... must find out where it is'. Although he did refresh the series after Columbus' very family friendly, safe approach.

21 hours ago, Alex said:

I think Del Toro would have been a good choice for GOF as well.

Yes, I agree. I'm just not a big fan of that film anyway, I think it's the weakest after COS. Which is a pity because GOF one of the strongest books.

But if Del Toro only did one, I think COS would be best suited to his sensibilities.

1 hour ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

But if Del Toro only did one, I think COS would be best suited to his sensibilities.

Would love to see the set of the chamber itself in a Del Toro directed CoS.

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/02/2024 at 7:36 PM, Jay said:

His Dark Materials wasn't bad.

I hope they'll dare to be a bit more FUN with Potter though.

There needs to be MAGIC in there.

18 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Holy crap, that's soon!

the plan is to develop seasons based on all of the books, spreading out over 10 years

If they go all the way it's going to be a huge project and the possibility opens of them looking for a composer who can commit to multiple seasons over many years.

This part was interesting:

Zaslav also said that he met just a few weeks ago with Harry Potter creator J.K. Rowling in London.

“I was in London a few weeks ago with Casey [HBO and Max chief Casey Bloys] and Channing [WBD TV chief Channing Dungey] and we spent some real time with J.K. and her team,” he said. “Both sides are thrilled to be reigniting this franchise. Our conversations were great, and we couldn’t be more excited about what’s ahead. We can’t wait to share a decade of new stories with fans around the world on Max.”

Firstly, it seems that JKR will have some involvement with it despite her social media controversies.

Also, "a decade of new stories"? What do you mean by new? These are the same stories that have already been told on the books and movies. This is the laziest route they could've taken with Potter.