Harry Potter TV Series in the works

Nick1Ø66

14 hours ago, Mephariel said:

And I told her Elton John and Tim Rice wrote the songs, but Zimmer composed the score, the music of the film. And she looked at me utterly confused. 

A completely normal routine for a film music fan :P 

Especially if a film contains lots of songs like Lion King or BTTF the already low public consciousness of a score is going to plummet.

15 hours ago, Mephariel said:

I was telling a coworker how much I enjoyed the score of The Lion King written by Hans Zimmer and her response was "I thought Elton John wrote the music?" And I told her Elton John and Tim Rice wrote the songs, but Zimmer composed the score, the music of the film. And she looked at me utterly confused. 

She probably reacted to your implication that songs aren't music.

Yeah, I'm still utterly amazed at how little people pay attention to film music. Even professional reviewers, talking about casting, costumes and whatever, but never, never about the music. When I went to my first HP1 LTP show, a relative asked: so does the orchestra repeat itself a lot for two hours?

3 hours ago, Van_Etten said:

I think it's more troubling that the Academy itself (supposedly full of professional musicians) rewards scores for using BWAAAAMSS

I think what is more troubling is that the Academy members clearly watch only a limited number of films (and maybe logistically, that is not their fault). In 2021, the IFMCA awarded Coppelia, by Maurizio Malagnini as the score of the year and someone in another forum made a comment that the Academy would never nominate a score like that. He was right, but that is probably a good thing. Not because Coppelia wasn't a good score, but because most Academy members probably never heard of the film, let alone the score. And if they haven't seen the film, they probably shouldn't vote for it. That is a good thing. Most IFMCA members probably haven't seen the film either, but the difference is, IFMCA made it clear that album quality outside of the film is part of their criteria. 

Oh, Hedwig's theme, great... Unless they come out now and say they're gonna just re-make/cancel Yates's movies, that makes sense. Why bother remaking if you're tapping into the thing you're remaking?

12 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

10 years of recapping the same plotlines we got 20 years go :pukeface:

But that's the chance to include even more actors from ethnic groups and sexual minorities... and why not some trans actors/actresses! :P

35 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Why bother remaking if you're tapping into the thing you're remaking?

This.

As of yet, this readaptation of Harry Potter is shaping up to have a similar identity crisis to The Rings of Power, where its a new adaptation dressed in the drag of an earlier adaptation. A very weird choice.

Consider how HBO Discovery Max Plus Extra already eats away at itself (like most of these companies eventually). they already want to demand a rather high chunk of money for the privilege of seeing ads. as that doesn't work, they'll keep deleting things from existence, normally by cancelling, but also sometimes retroactively like with some of their stuff previously. Particularly expensive stuff.

With the control freak at the helm, this can go two ways. One is appealing to a very specific age demographic (the youth doesn't appear to care) This means literalism and nochanges from the source material at all. they have to find boys to go along with it. If they had brains they would animate but the USA hates animation irrationally. I would expect butchered John Williams to be a common occurence.

The other way is to change the source material for the worse because of the retroactive control freakness. This one is the funniest outcome.

Just now, Chen G. said:

All things considered, The Rise of Skywalker was a good musical cap for the cycle, with the metamorphoses of the material associated with Rey and with Kylo, and then a coda ending with a reprise of the Throne Room music that Williams likes so much.

I was talking about HP.

Casting is going to be crucial for this. WB was incredibly fortunate with the casting in the films, and the fact that all three child leads were perfectly cast, were competent actors, kept their looks and remained throughout all eight films is something of a minor miracle.  The script and production isn't going to matter if they don't nail the casting Harry, Ron and Hemoine at least.

1 hour ago, Brónach said:

The other way is to change the source material for the worse because of the retroactive control freakness. This one is the funniest outcome.

This was a possibility I was quick to think of after my first couple of posts here. I would be utterly floored if this is how they decide to conclude the Fantastic Beasts story (in the middle of season 7), and then utterly cringe at the thought they would change things so that Cursed Child no longer seems so far fetched. A potentially amusing outcome, yet there's no telling if it's feasible given Joanne already stipulating just a few non-negotiable conditions for the moment.

4 minutes ago, Giftheck said:

Gotta be old Albus. I can see the script now:

ALBUS: (in calm tone)

Did you put your name in the fucking goblet of fire, Harry?

Hmmmm....now that I think about it, Hugh Grant as Dumbledore has possibilities...

A franchise so filled with potential and WB prefers to tell the same story all over again. What a shitshow. 

Warner Bros does not deserve to have the franchises (HP, DC, etc) they own.

I don’t really see the point in this remake. It’s too soon. They could have made a show about anything in the Wizarding World, like Dumbledore and Grindelwald ending with the duel, Marauders, Voldemort origin, First Wizarding War vs the original Order of the Phoenix, the 4 founders, Ilvermorny etc. instead they just redo the books.

I wanted a resolution to fantastic beasts (The third film was not the intended story but to a large extent something which Kloves wrote) so a TV series about the Dumbledore and Grindelwald would be a good way to do that, even if a lot of the original intention has been rendered obsolete by the changes in the third movie. I always wanted the movies to become darker, like with the HP books and movies.

1 hour ago, Giftheck said:

Gotta be old Albus. I can see the script now:

ALBUS: (in calm tone)

Did you put your name in the fucking goblet of fire, Harry?

Or his iconic line from My Immortal:

”WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING YOU MOTHERFUCKERS?”

2 hours ago, JohnTheBaptist said:

Which character is going to be the obligatory HBO f-bomb dropper?

This isn't an HBO show, this is a Max show. HBO and Max are both owned by WB Discovery, and HBO content is on the Max app, but they are different things. 

If you have cable and the HBO channel, you cannot see this show. It is exclusive to the Max streaming service. 

The guys running Max's original content division are not the guys that have been making prestige television at HBO for decades. 

This series is going to be a trainwreck. There's so much that can go wrong with committing to a 7-season project like this, just look at what happened to Fantastic Beasts. Who's going to be the show-runner? As proven by shows like The Last of Us and Thrones, the quality and success of these kinds of shows rests on the passion and dedication of the people making it, and considering the state of affairs around Rowling at the moment I imagine the best candidates wouldn't touch this with a ten-foot pole. That announcement trailer says it all - this isn't a reimagining or a retelling of the story. Why else would they have Hedwig's Theme and an image of the film's Hogwarts Castle? Any creative working on this will not have the freedom to re-imagine the books the way they should. It just reeks of corporate desperation, and of Warner Bros trying to cash in on their biggest IP. 

Worst of all is that it'll tarnish the branding of HBO as a producer of prestige television because most people don't know the difference between HBO and HBO Max.

52 minutes ago, Docteur Qui said:

It just reeks of corporate desperation, and of Warner Bros trying to cash in on their biggest IP. 

Exactly. This looks like it will be a souless product designed by algorithms in order to attract subscribers. Meanwhile, the same franchise has a lot of other great stories that could generate great TV.

I think it’s a terrible idea. Even when you put aside JKR’s toxic beliefs (and her OCD on having final say over everything Potter related like small stuff in the theme parks), telling the same story with the caveat that it will be faithful to the books is setting yourself up for failure. Passages or scenes that play out fine in the book can fall flat in a screen format— that’s what dramatic license is for. And I don’t miss annoying characters like Peeves in the films.

WB is better off getting Cursed Child made into a film.

39 minutes ago, Matt C said:

WB is better off getting Cursed Child made into a film.

Given what you've already mentioned, I think it'd be a tough sell for anyone that isn't WB. Besides, like I said before, I imagine the main appeal it had for Joanne is that the franchise would be brought into a rather unique medium that most other popular series tend to not dabble into (or fail at similar ones). So while it'd be able to more effectively pull the nostalgia card in a manner that isn't potentially risky, I can't imagine there would be much enthusiasm for adapting a story that ultimately ends up being a bit small scale in practice after the big conclusion that was the DH films.

Oh yeah, Rickman and Coltrane are also dead, making some crucial moments very tricky to pull off without heavy use of CG (moreso for the former, since Hagrid only really is mentioned in the story).

8 hours ago, Jay said:

This isn't an HBO show, this is a Max show. HBO and Max are both owned by WB Discovery, and HBO content is on the Max app, but they are different things. 

If you have cable and the HBO channel, you cannot see this show. It is exclusive to the Max streaming service. 

The guys running Max's original content division are not the guys that have been making prestige television at HBO for decades. 

oh but they can hire them, that's different i assume

8 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

This series is going to be a trainwreck. There's so much that can go wrong with committing to a 7-season project like this, just look at what happened to Fantastic Beasts. Who's going to be the show-runner? As proven by shows like The Last of Us and Thrones, the quality and success of these kinds of shows rests on the passion and dedication of the people making it, and considering the state of affairs around Rowling at the moment I imagine the best candidates wouldn't touch this with a ten-foot pole. That announcement trailer says it all - this isn't a reimagining or a retelling of the story. Why else would they have Hedwig's Theme and an image of the film's Hogwarts Castle? Any creative working on this will not have the freedom to re-imagine the books the way they should. It just reeks of corporate desperation, and of Warner Bros trying to cash in on their biggest IP. 

Worst of all is that it'll tarnish the branding of HBO as a producer of prestige television because most people don't know the difference between HBO and HBO Max.

ideally they would just commit to a single animated season, or a pilot, and then they would see.

4 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Oh good grief. Heaven forbid, the creator of Harry Potter wants final say over Harry Potter. And yes, the "small stuff" matters, as much as the big stuff. If not more.

And the idea of making Cursed Child into a film is a terrible one.

I would say the small stuff matters (i have been mocked over stating this on this message board lol). I think it's good she has the final say! (i consider that so-called "copyright" should be nontransferable and unable to be held by corporations. at most, you get permission. i'm not sure how it would apply to collective works the size of movies).

maybe because i try to have some principles, which is a constant struggle. i know or try to know where people can have a say and where they don't.