Harry Potter TV Series in the works

Nick1Ø66

8 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

That exact thing won't happen, but black Hermione from Cursed Child does still open the possibilities that they can change how they depict some of the cast (unless it was only allowed there because stage productions are loose with castings to begin with).

I never said there wouldn’t be changes, I said there won’t be changes without her approval. It’s 2023, I would expect them to cast a more diverse cast in terms of race for sure. 

Right. I think I'm more responding to the earlier comment someone else made about them needing to get strictly British and Irish folk, since there's still different types that can hail from those territories.

There will certainly be a more diverse cast this time around. Whether they'll actually do that with any of the three central characters, I think, will be the big question, and what would be most likely to stir controversy (obviously it's already been done in Cursed Child). Certainly, we'll see more diversity among the Hogwart's teachers and supporting characters (Neville, Luna, etc.) which you'd expect. I do wonder if they'll lean into Dumbledore being gay.

I’m curious about what the production design for the show will be. Sure, they could hew close to the novels, which would mean an aesthetic similar to the films...i.e. Hogwarts looks like a medieval castle, the students wear robes, they're very isolated from the outside world, etc.  Something like Rings of Power…a design that echoes that of the films but with a slightly different twist.

But I could also see them wanting to take it in an entirely different, and misguided, direction. Imagine a Hogwart's that looks like a traditional school campus, the students dress in casual, "civilian" clothes (or perhaps more modern looking uniforms), Harry & friends run around with cell phones, post on social media, listen to contemporary music, make pop culture references, etc., all while fighting dark wizards. This would mean departing from the books in some key ways, while presumably keeping the core story there.

Don't get me wrong, I would not want to see this, I think it would be horrid, and I doubt Jo would allow it. But if they want to differentiate themselves from the films, and needlessly try to "update" the story for "modern" audiences as is often (and unfortunately) the case these days, I could see HBO at least flirting with some of this.

I assume the characters wearing casual clothes in the later movies are exclusive to those, right? I can imagine an easy way of setting things apart is if they actually retain the uniforms for the amount of time the main trio would be in the school. I suppose it'd be more visually limiting, but I can imagine it'd be an easy way to distinguish between the new and the old.

Given the stories are set in the 90s, any modernization would certainly be a no-go, if the whole point is being faithful to the text.

9 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

The people I’ve worked with have young kids who aren’t old enough to read who are obsessed with the films and Harry Potter

Speaking of which, my female cousin has a 7-year-old son who recently started to like HP due to the Lego sets. She let the kid watch the movies and is reading the books with him... But only the first two, because the others are "too dark and disturbing" for him. :lol:

8 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

Given the stories are set in the 90s, any modernization would certainly be a no-go, if the whole point is being faithful to the text.

The books may be set in the 90s, but the movie are set in current day (ie, the 2000s). I know that because when I saw Order of the Phoenix in theaters, I was horrified when I saw a scene of Aunt Petúnia watching a very modern (for 2007) TV. Back then I was a diehard book fan and anything that deviated from the books was met with disapproval by me.

Yeah, I was a dumb kid :lol:

2 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Speaking of which, my female cousin has a 7-year-old son who recently started to like HP due to the Lego sets. She let the kid watch the movies and is reading the books with him... But only the first two, because the others are "too dark and disturbing" for him. :lol:

Yes! This is absolutely the same scenario I run into! 😂 

but like, the last half hour of Goblet would be terrifying for a kid! And Azkaban has its moments and that’s before you get to the more mature 5-7! 

I really see no point in this reboot. Hopefully there is a mistake in the reporting about it being a reboot of the book story. A new story set in the WW would be so much better.

10 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Yes! This is absolutely the same scenario I run into! 😂 

but like, the last half hour of Goblet would be terrifying for a kid! And Azkaban has its moments and that’s before you get to the more mature 5-7! 

Yeah, I can see everything post-Azkaban being too creepy for small children.

I read the first five books between the ages of 8 to 10, so I was a little older than my cousin's son. 

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

I’m still hoping the report is wrong and they’ll do a Hogwarts Legacy style original story.

It's possible. When Amazon secured the rights for what eventually became Rings of Power, the original reporting was that they'd be making a "Lord of the Rings" TV show. 

That said, the reporting that they're adapting one Harry Potter book a season seems pretty specific. 🤷‍♂️ 

33 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

I really see no point in this reboot. Hopefully there is a mistake in the reporting about it being a reboot of the book story. A new story set in the WW would be so much better.

But now we could have more scenes in the common room with the trio, SPEW, Voldemort's flashbacks etc.

We all know HP will get another adaptation eventually. I just hope that, before that happens, we also get the chance to see new stories set in this universe, preferably by a new group of people with a fresh perspective.

This universe is too great, too rich to be stuck in the same story and characters (however great they are) over and over again.

Just now, Holko said:

Ah yes, the crucial plot and character setup they dropped in favor of a completely pointless totally inconsequential action scene and awfully done romance stuff. Hmm, maybe overwriting the Yates shit would actually be good.

Kloves gets way too much credit for the series. He came up with some awful shit considering the source material he had.

I think 50% of the popularity of the Harry Potter movie universe is John Williams. Without his classic theme(s) these films wouldn't be nearly as memorable as they have become, that every kid (or now adult) can recognize or hum the main theme. That's the magic of the Maestro and I highly doubt that any other composer can repeat that with the series, and imho it will make a difference.

So good luck to whoever will write the score, because it's not an easy task having to follow in the footsteps of John Williams.

9 hours ago, Goldfinger said:

Murray Gold could probably knock this show out of the park if given the chance to compose.

Might be sacrilege but I’ve always seen him at his peak as the John Williams of TV insofar as similar musical sensibilities at times, weaving a wide tapestry of incredibly resonant themes,  creating bombastic but coherent action music, and being quite adept at scoring different moods and genres

So yes please, Murray Gold in full orchestral mode would be an amazing pick for a Harry Potter TV show

56 minutes ago, Mephariel said:

John Williams' score is wonderful. But I wouldn't say 50% of the popularity of the Harry Potter movie universe is John Williams. There is no evidence to support that. Harry Potter was popular because it was Harry Potter.

As someone pretty familiar with the games there has been a few composers who are very worthy to continue the musical legacy. Jeremy Soule is sadly no longer an option thanks to controversy, but James Hannigan would be a worthy successor. I ended up enjoying his scores to the Order of the Phoenix and Half Blood Prince games more than the movies, definitely closer to Williams’ sensibilities as well

9 hours ago, Mephariel said:

John Williams' score is wonderful. But I wouldn't say 50% of the popularity of the Harry Potter movie universe is John Williams. There is no evidence to support that. Harry Potter was popular because it was Harry Potter.

I’m not so sure. I wouldn’t underestimate John Williams’ influence so much. His themes saved Jaws, Star Wars, Superman, Indiana Jones and numerous other films. Without his iconic theme for the Harry Potter franchise, that people instantly recognize decades after its release, these films wouldn’t have become nearly as influential and memorable In My Opinion. 
The instant a child hears the first notes of Hedwig’s theme they KNOW it’s Harry Potter. It’s that powerful. And it’s not something to underestimate the significance of. Again, IMHO.

50 minutes ago, JTW said:

I’m not so sure. I wouldn’t underestimate John Williams’ influence so much. His themes saved Jaws, Star Wars, Superman, Indiana Jones and numerous other films. Without his iconic theme for the Harry Potter franchise, that people instantly recognize decades after its release, these films wouldn’t have become nearly as influential and memorable In My Opinion. 
The instant a child hears the first notes of Hedwig’s theme they KNOW it’s Harry Potter. It’s that powerful. And it’s not something to underestimate the significance of. Again, IMHO.

I wouldn't say, that the Harry Potter movies were in any way influential. What did they influence?

The books were famous and the film were more or less some marketing vehicle to illustrate the books for the general public who knew the books already. It was very different from for example the Lord of the Rings movies, which really were influential and newly defined the way fantasy movies were made.

And I love Williams music for the first three movies. But probably 30% of the audience loved it, 30% percent hated it and the rest didn't care. The majority for sure didn't even recognize that the composer for the later movies changed. The movies would not have been less successful, if Desplat would have scored them all.

It is rather nice for Williams to have been involved in the definition of a franchise that isn't older than 30 years.

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Williams' music is instantly recognisable to many people, as is Doyle's. But that has nothing, nothing to do with the popularity of the films. Nobody went to see them for the music. Case in point, nobody bought the LLL set.

But after having seen the films, they remembered the theme(s). 

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I wouldn't say, that the Harry Potter movies were in any way influential.

I absolutely agree. I never liked the films, only JW’s

scores. 

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Case in point, nobody bought the LLL set.

Nobody? Hasn’t it been re-released at least twice after being sold out? 

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I wouldn't say, that the Harry Potter movies were in any way influential. What did they influence?

The books were famous and the film were more or less some marketing vehicle to illustrate the books for the general public who knew the books already. It was very different from for example the Lord of the Rings movies, which really were influential and newly defined the way fantasy movies were made.

And I love Williams music for the first three movies. But probably 30% of the audience loved it, 30% percent hated it and the rest didn't care. The majority for sure didn't even recognize that the composer for the later movies changed. The movies would not have been less successful, if Desplat would have scored them all.

It is rather nice for Williams to have been involved in the definition of a franchise that isn't older than 30 years.

What did they…what did they influence?! An entire generation. That was their Star Wars. Media that appeals to said generation is chockablock full of Harry Potter references, hell even god damn political discussion with that generation is full of Harry Potter references to the point it’s a common mocking refrain. A lot of those people are film-only fans too.

24 minutes ago, JTW said:

Nobody? Hasn’t it been re-released at least twice after being sold out? 

Holko I suspect is speaking relatively. The box has a limit of 5000 and is still available, meaning probably only a few thousand people in the world own it, which in terms of the wider wizarding fanbase, is basically no one.

I once lent my JP box to a colleague who is very on the ball with film and is certainly aware of music, and he recognised a lot of bits from the first score from the film, but that was about it. He was never in a million years going to actually buy a copy.

24 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

What did they…what did they influence?! An entire generation. That was their Star Wars. Media that appeals to said generation is chockablock full of Harry Potter references, hell even god damn political discussion with that generation is full of Harry Potter references to the point it’s a common mocking refrain. A lot of those people are film-only fans too.

If the movies never existed probably those movie only fans would have read the books, too like all the millions of others. The phenomenon Harry Potter was not triggered by the movies.  It existed well before that with thousands of people sleeping in front of book stores to gget the first copy of the new novel. If you compare in that context something with Star Wars, then the books please.

The movies were kind of a quick shot anyway. The books were not even finished. And the concept was... "We need some kind of movie for this, so people can watch this amazing story in the cinema."

You're right, my mistake. I guess I just meant that interest in these scores, outside of people like us, isn't there. And that's not a Potter thing, but more of a general thing. To say that JW contributed in any way to the success of the franchise is, in my opinion at least, utterly unthinkable, regardless of the fact they are all masterpieces.

6 hours ago, JTW said:

I still think you are way over estimating the public's attention to film music. If John Williams, Hans Zimmer, James Horner, Danny Elfman were never born, successful films would still have been made. Movies were successful before John Williams and will be afterwards. And here is a study that confirms how bad people are when it comes to recognizing film music, even when a chunk of the people polled claimed to be life long film music fans. Even though Harry Potter is the most recognized film score in this study, only 36% recognized the main theme: 

The majority of the respondents bragged that they can identify movies on the music alone, but they may need to get their ears checked, as the results of the film score quiz had some puzzling results. Despite “Star Wars” being among the list of most recognizable themes, 45% of respondents actually guessed incorrectly or didn’t know what film this music was from. 

'The iconic, ear piercing theme from the classic horror trope “Psycho” was also misidentified as the theme for “Pirates of the Caribbean” by 17%.

The survey conducted by OnePoll on behalf of OPPO Find X3 Pro revealed when respondents were asked to listen to the theme from “Sherlock Holmes,” 31% of respondents said they simply didn’t have a clue.

When asked to listen to the “Inception” theme, three in 10 respondents thought they were taking a trip to Hogwarts and incorrectly thought this was the theme to “Harry Potter.”

A quarter of respondents thought Indiana Jones was about to snatch another artifact when listening to the theme for “The Dark Knight” – misidentifying this theme as “Raiders of the Lost Ark.”

Forty-five percent of those polled are already blasting film scores in their headphones and listening to movie soundtracks while going about their life.

TOP 10 MOST ICONIC FILM THEMES OF ALL TIME

“Harry Potter” - 36%

“Titanic” - 32%

“Inception” - 23%

“West Side Story” - 23%

“Gone with the Wind” - 20%

“Raiders of the Lost Ark” - 19%

“Jaws” - 18%

“Psycho” - 18%

“Star Wars” - 18%

“Rocky” - 12%

https://swnsdigital.com/us/2021/04/legendary-composer-hans-zimmer-tells-us-the-two-things-that-make-a-legendary-soundtrack/

The MCU basically hasn’t got an hours worth of memorable of notable music, there are people who’ve seen everyone of those films multiple times and probably wouldn’t recognise anything beyond the Avengers theme. 

Those films are still popular despite this. There’s a reason us film score fans are a small niche of a niche. 

3 hours ago, Mephariel said:

I still think you are way over estimating the public's attention to film music.

Right, I tend to do that. Ever since I managed to make my Father pay attention to the scores in films, I’ve become an optimist, which is more like being naive thinking that people are as interested in film music as I am. That’s a mistake I’m willing to make however hoping that people do care about music in films, not just the visuals and sound effects. It’s like thinking that people will read books again. Naive, but optimistic.

8 hours ago, Jay said:

It's simply gone temporarily out of stock a few times

Thanks for clearing it up, I thought whenever LLL announced the arrival of a new batch it meant it was “re-released”. But as you mentioned, the JWHP set is one of LLL’s bestsellers, and that should mean John Williams’ scores are very popular and well known among film music fans and Harry Potter movie-fans alike, at least the main theme which imho can be considered synonymous with the Harry Potter movie universe and is instantly recognized by fans of the films.

Even though Harry Potter is the most recognized film score in this study, only 36% recognized the main theme: 

Well, it’s not that bad at all. ;)

If John Williams, Hans Zimmer, James Horner, Danny Elfman were never born, successful films would still have been made. Movies were successful before John Williams and will be afterwards.

True, but would those specific films have been just as successful if another composer had written their scores? 
Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Superman without John Williams, Batman without Danny Elfman, Rocky without Bill Conti, Braveheart without James Horner…?

34 minutes ago, JTW said:

would those specific films have been just as successful if another composer had written their scores? 
Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Superman without John Williams, Batman without Danny Elfman, Rocky without Bill Conti, Braveheart without James Horner…?

A good score might subconsciously could make someone think a film is good and recommend it I guess, but no one's going to go see a film based on who scored it.

Even though Harry Potter is the most recognized film score in this study, only 36% recognized the main theme

That's only 1% less than finished watching Rings of Power!

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

A good score might subconsciously could make someone think a film is good and recommend it I guess, but no one's going to go see a film based on who scored it.

Outside the film score community this is definitively the case. I do watch movies I wouldn’t otherwise watch because of who scored a movie sometimes.

Around the time of the release of the Deathly Hallows book, my friend and I had a discussion about whether or not they would consider doing a reboot of the films sometime in the future. His response was that a reboot was inevitable, but only after enough time had passed after the films. Do I think enough time has passed after the films? Not really.

Then we get to the question of why make a reboot in the first place? Some might consider the fidelity of the films lacking when it comes to the books, and fair enough, there are some important chunks missing from the films that ought to have been represented on the big screen. The most important question, however. that can't be answered until we see this series, is what does this reboot do differently that justifies it's existence? 

The shadow of the films will loom large over this reboot and that's what's going to be very difficult for the filmmakers to get out from under if they wish to have a successful show that produces its own legacy...

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

but no one's going to go see a film based on who scored it.

I do. I've seen numerous movies I otherwise wouldn't just because I like the composer. In 2014, I loved JNH's Maleficent OST album so much that I actually paid to see that crappy movie in theaters (and dragged my younger brother with me)!

35 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I do. I've seen numerous movies I otherwise wouldn't just because I like the composer. In 2014, I loved JNH's Maleficent OST album so much that I actually paid to see that crappy movie in theaters (and dragged my younger brother with me)!

I do as well. But to Richard's point, 99.9% of the people will never go watch a film because of the score or composer. Hell, 99.9% of the people don't know what a score is.

I was telling a coworker how much I enjoyed the score of The Lion King written by Hans Zimmer and her response was "I thought Elton John wrote the music?" And I told her Elton John and Tim Rice wrote the songs, but Zimmer composed the score, the music of the film. And she looked at me utterly confused. 

20 minutes ago, Mephariel said:

I do as well. But to Richard's point, 99.9% of the people will never go watch a film because of the score or composer. Hell, 99.9% of the people don't know what a score is.

I was telling a coworker how much I enjoyed the score of The Lion King written by Hans Zimmer and her response was "I thought Elton John wrote the music?" And I told her Elton John and Tim Rice wrote the songs, but Zimmer composed the score, the music of the film. And she looked at me utterly confused. 

Not saying I disagree with him, I actually agree with his overall point. I just wanted to tell my sad story of paying to see Maleficent in theaters just because of the score :lol:

13 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

If the movies never existed probably those movie only fans would have read the books, too like all the millions of others. The phenomenon Harry Potter was not triggered by the movies.  It existed well before that with thousands of people sleeping in front of book stores to gget the first copy of the new novel. If you compare in that context something with Star Wars, then the books please.

The movies were kind of a quick shot anyway. The books were not even finished. And the concept was... "We need some kind of movie for this, so people can watch this amazing story in the cinema."

No, I do not think if something was not adapted from medium A to medium B, that fans of medium B would suddenly become fans of medium A

Harry Potter did wonders for the popularity of books as a whole, but movie popularity in general is still on another level

No idea what you mean by 'the movies were kind of a quick shot', they were made because there was existing interest. It is very common for adaptions of series to be made whilst new entries are still coming out, hell this was even the case for the anime film Akira which ended up influencing the subsequent manga.

With Harry Potter in particular, there was an understandable desire to start film production quite soon owing to the limitations of the aging of the regular cast and to also start syncing up with the book releases for cross-marketing appeal