John Powell - STILL: A MICHAEL J FOX MOVIE (2023)

Jay

I crave more John Powell awesomeness, but I don't think this Michael J. Fox doc will satisfy my craving. It sounds like it is going to be a bit like JNH's Light & Magic doc: pretty and inoffensive, but forgettable.

Weren't there rumors of a new animated Powell score also coming this year?

1 hour ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Yeah, he's still working on I believe 1 or 2 other projects

Is one of those the HTTYD remake? I hope he has other stuff coming beside this because:

1. It's only coming out in 2025 and
  2. It'll probably be like Zimmer's Lion King remake: mostly Ctrl C + Ctrl V from a superior score.

49 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Is this the one which had the director quote that they'd asked for a 'full throated' Hollywood score? Doesn't sound like that to me from a handful of samples.

Yes, it's this one:

On 29/04/2023 at 5:25 AM, JNHFan2000 said:

Was reading an article on the Michael J. Fox docu in Empire Magazine the director said the following small thing about the score. Makes me really excited!

20230429_112332.jpg

40 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Is one of those the HTTYD remake? I hope he has other stuff coming beside this because:

1. It's only coming out in 2025 and
  2. It'll probably be like Zimmer's Lion King remake: mostly Ctrl C + Ctrl V from a superior score.

He is doing two scores this year, Still and an animated film

On 07/12/2022 at 5:21 PM, Anthony said:

He's confirmed it again today.

image.png

21 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

He hasn't been announced for that yet

Yes he has.

1 minute ago, A. A. Ron said:

The animated movie has gotta be Chicken Run 2, right?

As far as we know, only Harry Gregson-Williams is attached to that.

Hmm. I guess it could also be Illumination's Migration, but there's not much else in big studio animation without a confirmed composer this year.

It could be Migration, even though Powell has never worked with Illumination before (which is not a big deal, considering they don't have problems bringing other composers like Desplat and Tyler).

Other than that, I don't know, at least for theatrical animations. Is there anything coming to streaming?

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Arrives Friday May 26th via Lakeshore Records

https://d1iiivw74516uk.cloudfront.net/eyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcmVzdG8tY292ZXItaW1hZ2VzIiwia2V5IjoiOTQ5NjA1MS4xLmpwZyIsImVkaXRzIjp7InJlc2l6ZSI6eyJ3aWR0aCI6OTAwfSwianBlZyI6eyJxdWFsaXR5Ijo2NX0sInRvRm9ybWF0IjoianBlZyJ9LCJ0aW1lc3RhbXAiOjE2ODQzMTM4MDh9

1. Pinky (1:58)
2. That’s Boring (1:43)
3. Growing Up (1:37)
4. First Casting (1:05)
5. Hollywood Struggle (2:33)
6. A Chip & A Chair (1:22)
7. The Audition (2:38)
8. Becoming Michael J. Fox (2:29)
9. Tracy (2:54)
10. Being a Father (1:00)
11. Parkinson’s Yeah! (2:47)
12. Feel It, Live It (1:25)
13. Late Night TV (1:20)
14. Drink and Disassociate (1:47)
15. Is This What You Want? (2:41)
16. Home to TV (1:35)
17. No Way Out (3:02)
18. Why Me? (1:17)
19. Life at the Beach (5:28)

Samples of every track are available at Presto Music

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9496051--still-a-michael-j-fox-movie-soundtrack-from-the-apple-original-film

It is “ a good music” of course, don’t get me wrong.

But it sounds like any documentary score that any “general” or perhaps even library composer can conjure,….

….that begs the question:

Why hired John Powell in the first place? 
I mean certainly a filmmaker would like to choose a composer based on his/her strenght, certainly Powell with his animation and its full-bodied orchestra music.

(Then again, Powell also famous for his minamalist-action score for Bourne, so who knows)

This is one point.

Another point might be he got a producer referral for this gig, just like presumably happened with Dont Worry Darling?

If the first point was the case,

then added by that interview of the director wanted “a full throated Hollywood score”,…

…perhaps there was an alternate score for this before it was deemed unfit? The one that exactly justified why they brought Powell in the first place.

( I saw an Instagram story way back then  from Powell’s partner that basically said, scoring documentary was very hard and unlinke anything, and she congaratulated Powell for managing this)

Or….

The director has different perception of what “full throated Hollywood score” is than what JWfans here have.

He could maybe believe score like Bourne is a full throated, or maybe film with just music is a full throated 😄

would suggest that the 'full throated' thing was crowd-pleasing nonsense, but no one cares about music especially in a documentary, so it's an odd comment, for sure.

And plenty of documentaries have full orchestral scores, so it's hardly unusual, hence an especially odd thing to highlight if the eventual score is decidedly not.

I'd say most likely is that guy's idea of a 'Hollywood score' is different to ours. And to be fair (and a point I've made before), big orchestral scores are not the most appropriate scoring technique for everything, so maybe this score works great.

I haven't listened to the samples yet but do the impression this will be quite a bit more low key than we were all expecting. Almost surprising that Jeff Beal didn't get the gig, he seems to be the go-to documentary composer (and very good they are too).

After seeing the documentary last week and with the breakdown above I have to say this really is a wonderful score.

It's indeed very much a Powell score, even though it's not like his big orchestral works. I'm seeing quite a few people online being disappointed with the last 2 Powell scores. But I actually both really like them. I'm happy he shows his skills on lots of different genres. I've always felt Powell was able to adept his style in multiple genres and these past few scores have really shown that. 

Of course I'll be happy when he goes back to his big orchestral writing, but his smaller works have so much to offer as well. And Still, at least for me, is one of better scores outside of his big orcheatral writing.

• 7 months later...