Last Night I dreamed about John Williams...

GerateWohl

6 minutes ago, bigjimwilson said:

All he had was warm cans of shitty lager. And I thought to myself... "oh my god, John drinks Fosters?!?!"

LOL. And that's when you knew you were dreaming!

I've had lots of dreams where I met John Williams, though I can't remember any details now. I'll report back next time.

1 hour ago, bruckhorn said:

At least it wasn't a sex dream.

I wonder if there are people out there who have sexual fantasies involving John Williams. "Hey babe, would you like to see my baton? It's huge!"

2 hours ago, enderdrag64 said:

I had a dream a month or two ago that jwfan was a physical place, a bar that music fans came to discuss his work, and that I was a taxi driver who had to take John Williams there to do an interview in person.

The future. 

I regularly have a dream that I visit a film music concert, and wander through the empty orchestra stands, and suddenly find myself sitting there with violin in hand, I think WTF did I get here? And the performance starts and I don't know what the f*ck to do with it. And I look at the sheet music and go "there's a whole note I can try that" and it sounds terrible. 

Then I stand up, slightly raise my hand to excuse myself to the conductor, and leave with the instrument in hand.

I've had different conductors in my dream; Williams, Shore, and once Pavarotti.

People always say it's boring to hear about other people's dreams, but I disagree. I've always found it endlessly fascinating. Which is why I started a thread on that very topic on FSM some 20+ years ago, called "Weird Dreams". Alas, FSM is down at the moment, but when it gets back up, I'll copy/paste in some of the Williams-related dreams I posted there; that I fortunately memorized right after waking up.

Edit:

And now FSM is back up already. I really recommend reading the whole thread, as it's quite entertaining (also includes posts from the year 2000 by our resident Marian).

As promised, some copy/pasting of my own Williams dreams, over a period of almost 20 years. Have yourself a cup of coffee, or wine, and delve into the bizarre dream world (or skip the long post altogether, if you don't like reading about other people's dreams):

Had another one of those very common CD shop dreams last night. Can't remember much of it, just that I was in this used record store somewhere and that the selection of soundtracks was extremely skimpy. Nevertheless, there were a few real gems there, like a beautifully-packaged CD of EXCALIBUR and several unavailable titles like that.

I also remember finding a CD compilation called RAW!! - THE BEST OF JOHNNY WILLIAMS (with a black and white cover) that included the previously unavailable theme from the famous 60's TV series STALKER (sic). It also included selections from scores that actually exist and are composed by Williams, like GILLIGAN'S ISLAND, THE PLAINSMAN, DADDY-O, BACHELOR FATHER, and STORY OF A WOMAN (and more), none of which have seen the light of day, of course.

I remember wondering why I hadn't read about this compilation on the Williams sites or in the buyer's guide etc.

Peculiarly, all the CD's were prized in kurona, the currency of the Czech Repulic, and I remember being annoyed by the fact that I didn't remember how that correlated to the Norwegian krone...

Williams appeared briefly tonight:

At one point in the dream I was inside some sort of café. Through the window I witnessed a concert outside on the square. It was a local school marching band that performed the STAR WARS main title. The conductor was John Williams.

Suddenly, one of my friends (who is inside the café with me) tells me that he will try to conduct a theme next, namely one of my own compositions. He walks out, is handed the the baton from Williams and says:

- "We will now perform Oslo's second most famous marching band piece!", referring to my own composition (sic). What is the most famous theme, we don't get to know...

What comes out next is peculiarly "Liberty Bell" by Sousa and not my own theme ("Liberty Bell" MAY very well, of course, be Oslo's second, if not THE, most famous piece). My friend, who has absolutely no conducting skills - not even a rhytmical sense - is seen waving his arms helplessly on the podium. However, the band plays well because Williams himself is walking through the orchestra while conducting. Everyone is consequently looking at Williams and not my poor friend.

As the piece draws to its conclusion, however, Williams disappears and pops up on the second floor of the adjacent building, sitting in the windown wearing nothing but a couple of red shorts.

The audience (and the band) rapidly disappears as well, and I walk out to greet my friend.

- "What happened?" I ask.

- "Don't know. I was intending to play your theme, but...."

- "It's ok."

I notice one woman staring at us from the other side of the square. I suspect that she is an audience member that did not disappear, and I approach her.

- "What did you think of the concert?" I ask.

She giggles insanely, and leaves.

Had another Williams dream a couple of nights ago, and I've gotta get it down on paper before I forget.

John Williams was once again Norwegian and had his usual friday lecture at the institute that I'm attending (Media Studies). He talked about film music, but also something else I can't remember. Hopefully relevant. I remember thinking how lucky I was to have Williams as a regular lecturer at 'my' university when there are so many fans out there who would dream of even MEETING him in real life.

When the lecture finished, I hooked up with him as he was leaving the auditory and accompanied him down the hallway. I talked, in a professional manner, about my interest in film music and that I ran a website and that I've had some contact with various Norwegian film composer and so on. He seemed slightly impressed, and responded in his usual calm and soft-spoken manner.

As we were approaching the elevator, I realized that Williams was suddenly wearing a plummer's outfit.

- "Ah, this is my second job", he said, "you've gotta earn a living, you know".

We entered the elevator and he pressed down. Apparently, the institute was now a Pentagon-type building with numerous floors beneath the ground. As finally we left the elevator, we had arrived at the bottom of a scyscraper that was located in the middle of a lake. There were several cafés at the left side of us, and we were walking on an extremely narrow pavement, almost falling into the water surrounding us (the water level was almost adjacent with the edge of the pavement).

Williams wanted a bag of potato chips and I followed him into the supermarket (I have no idea why I kept following him all this way - he MUST have found it annoying), and that's about all I can remember.

I remember being in a classrom of my primary school, although I was clearly at university level and within Media Studies. The "class" was divided into groups and seated at different tables. At my table were some 4-5 students. Suddenly, Mr. Williams entered the room - to much applause - and seated himself at MY table!! I couldn't believe it! And this was no dream either, I was confident ()! His objective was to offer advise and talk to us about our upcoming master theses. I was to write a master thesis about film music (which is the truth) and the guy next to me was to write one about Vålerenga Football Club, a national football team (don't ask me what that has to do with Media Studies). I tried my best to tell him about my thesis - even hinting at my preference for his music, although in a moderate manner. I didn't want to sound like a "fanboy" or whatever Ford Thaxton derogatorily calls us. In short: While I obviously thought my topic selection would spark a greater interest with him, I tried to remain a professional academic.

Much to my dismay, though, Williams didn't really listen to what I had to say and proceeded to elaborate - in a weird Norwegian-American accent - on how to write about Vålerenga Football Club. Oh no! He had mistaken me for that other guy next to me...

And that's about it!

Wow, tonight I dreamt about BOTH Williams AND Elfman (before and after a trip to the toilet). Have to share it before I forget it.

In the first part, I was with my co-stars in the TV series I´ve been in for the last couple of years. We were all sitting in an auditorium. Much to my surprise, John Williams entered the room. For some reason, he was giving us a lecture about something. However, my co-stars jumped up and down and started screaming (much to my embarassment) and I could see that Williams had problems dealing with this (many of them are a little....uhm...immature and not the most socially intelligent). He was clearly annoyed, but remained calm in his usual soft-spoken manner. There was something odd and unfamiliar with him, though, and after the break, I could see why. He was only a Williams doppelgänger! For the second part of the lecture, the REAL Williams stepped in to the music of THE LOST WORLD, accompanied by his own translator. Much applause. I remember thinking "I´ve gotta get his autograph...I´ve gotta SPEAK to him and tell him how much I love his music without sounding like a gushing fan". Anyway, the next memory of this dream was when we were standing outside. All my co-stars had been sent on a scuba-diving mission by Williams. "This is my chance", I thought, "now I can talk to him alone and get his autograph". However, I realized I didn´t have a blank piece of paper. All around me was paper on the floor, but my co-stars had "scribbled them to death". I started running for paper - out in the streets...I even started FLYING at one point, but NO paper anywhere. I landed in the middle of a road and cars were crashing around me. Then I woke up....

Toilet visit.

In the second part of the dream, I was out on the town on a Friday night with my friends (as I usually am). We ran into another friend on the street and he said: "Hey, do you know that DJ Sunflower is playing at the Chocolat?" I had no idea who DJ Sunflower was, but Chocolat was apparently a place just a couple of hundred meters from where I live (it doesn´t exist in real life, of course). "I think you´ll like him", the friend continued, "he´s that Elfman guy you like so much!".

I gasped....WHAT?!? Here I was out on a regular party night, almost missing my biggest hero just a BLOCK away from where I live. So we went to Chocolat. Inside was a warm, red light, but very few guests. Funky electronica was being played and in the middle of the floor stood Elfman anno 2006, dressed as an academic, but pretty slick (even though he was the DJ that night, he didn´t stand behind the console...apparently it played by itself or by Elfman´s telepathic powers or something). We struck up a conversation, and while it started out normally, it ended up with me fan-gushing all over him. I woke up from the embarassment.

I wonder what it all means?

Had another John Williams dream last night, and I gotta write it down before I forget it. It was probably triggered by the Williams/concert thread here recently (it's one of my greatest wishes to see him live some day, and I get kinda frustrated and envious when I read that so many of you have seen him already...multiple times, even!).

Anyway, I was back in the gym hall of my primary school, for some reason. On the ground level, there was a small bit of the hall sectioned off, and within that a heightened plateau on which John Williams & the orchestra played (I can't remember what tune...it sounded very "Williams"). There was some audience members seated in front of them too. However, I was on the "gallery" above, with no railing. Several people were sitting precariously on the edge, dangling their feet. So it wasn't so easy for me to get a good view of the man himself downstairs, as much as I tried. At one point in the concert, however, Williams suddenly halts the orchestra by hitting the baton on the table in front of him. He then walks off stage, visibly infuriated, and suddenly screams (totally out of character, I know) something about lost magazines to someone named Tony! Everyone in the hall starts buzzing, obviously confused and surprised by Williams' sudden outburst.

As my view is obscured, I walk down on the ground floor, and there seems to be a break because of the incident. There are a few audience members still in their seat, but a few meters away I see Williams pacing back and forth, dressed untypically in a sun hat and multicoloured shirt. His age is around 50. On the podium is the "assistant conductor" conducting to some pre-recorded tune, but the orchestra is also on a break. He's obviously testing something, I don't know.

I go behind the giant sound booth, and at that moment Williams comes around the corner. I know it's not a good time, but I ask him if I can take his picture with me. He agrees, but at that exact time, I notice that my camera won't turn on. Almost simultaneously, a random guy walks by and I ask him if he can take a picture of us, and much to my surprise, he says NO!! So at that exact time - knowing that an already frustrated Williams want to move on with his business, with a faulty camera and some crazy guy refusing to take a picture anyway - I wake up. It was too much! 

I had a wonderful John Williams dream last night, which I memorized five times the moment I woke up. I need to write it down before I forget it.

--------------------

I had scheduled an interview with Williams for my magazine montages.no (similarly as I did with Goldenthal in Ghent a couple of weeks ago) by e-mail, and arrived at his house somewhere up in the mountains or countryside -- maybe the Boston area? It looked very plain and grey, though, just like any odd family house in smalltown Norway.

I can't remember if I rang the doorbell or just went inside, but I suddenly found myself in the hallway. At the end of it, I saw the living room where Williams was seated in a huge comfy chair, talking to some female associate of his. I wanted to wait untill he had finished, so I just went inside a storage room with windows. Outside was a small mountain creek and I watched as a pair of huge stone tablets floated by with a couple of trees on each.

Finally Williams came out and noticed me, although not particularly welcoming.

- "You did get my e-mail?" I asked

- "Yes, yes....", he said, but with a distant air.

- "OK, great, it'll just be 5-10 minutes, I promise", I said.

In fact, he looked as if he wanted to be somewhere else. Far too important to spend time with little me. Gruff, disinterested and distracted.

- "I love all the redwood trees in this area", I said, also noticing lots of tree sculptures, paintings, fountains and trees inside his living room (as you know, Williams has a fascination for trees). But I didn't get much of a response.

Finally we were seated in the living room area with the comfy chairs and I went straight into my first question:

- "So, Elliot Goldenthals's FINAL FANTASY score apparently cost $300 a day to make. What do you think about that?"

Then I went on to something with Michel Legrand after that. I can't remember what Williams replied, but I remember being very embarrassed and angry with my irrelevant questions now that I finally had the opportunity to ask anything.

What was very interesting, though, was how he completely changed character in the interview. Now he suddenly became the warm, softspoken gentleman we've seen in so many interviews.

At some point, we decided to go outside for the rest of the interview. There, we were seated at some wooden platform, and there were some other people sitting at another table nearby, as if we were on a public outdoor restaurant or something. Lots of trees and nature around, but still with a very Norwegian look, not American. The tone eventually improved, but all of a sudden two fellow members (brothers) from maintitles.net sat down by the table. I was glad to see them, of course, but I needed to finish my interview and couldn't have more distractions.

Just then, we felt a few drops of rain and I saw dark clouds above. The interview fell apart, but even more importantly, I needed to get my photo with my composer hero before it was too late.

"The photos, I need to take some photos", I said, pulling up my crappy camera and starting shooting Williams as he rose from the table and, smilingly, stumbled towards me with a big plastic glass of beer. Then I quickly threw the camera to one of the two brothers so he could take a few pics with me and him. He complied, but then he eventually metamorphosed into my sister. The other brother disappeared, but the goal had been achieved. Picture with Williams taken.

That's about what I remember.

The next part of the dream had nothing to with Williams, but a huge, 50-meter tsunami wave that was hurdling towards a small ferry between Norway and Denmark that I was on. I remember being on it and seeing it foaming and rising in the horizon as a gigantic wall of water and asking myself if I should stay outside or if I should go down below when it hits.

I had yet another dream with Williams a few nights ago. Can't remember much of it, other than that I was in some sort of social gathering at a private residence (which looked very Norwegian). Spielberg was there too, and both he and Williams constantly had people around them. I remember thinking it was awesome that I was in the same room as them, but didn't have the nerve to go up and speak to them. At one point, Williams was at the buffet table with me, but even here I chickened out.

Could have something to do with my failed attempt to meet Williams at the Bowl a few weeks ago, I don't know.

Now I only remember fragments of the Williams thread I talked about earlier.

I was visiting the Berkshire mountains or something, although Tanglewood didn't enter my mind. I've never been there, but it was an awesome site as only your mind can create -- lush fields and majestic mountains towering on each side, shrewn in fog. At some cottage or house, Williams and his crew were preparing for a concert in a few days. I wanted an interview, but his assistant Jamie Richardson came in the way all the time (probably a reference to Richardson's REAL refusal to get me an interview with Williams in LA last year). This annoyed me, and Williams caught my calm, but firm reaction. He said he wanted me as another assistant of his, and Richardson had to grudgingly accept it.

My first task was to set up a special dining place by the concert hall further down the road -- the best spot (maybe for Williams' friends?). "Where is it?", I said. "Oh you'll see it, it's just over a slope and with the red sunshades", Richardson told me. So I went ahead, carrying lots of stuff, but of course I couldn't find it. Then I saw the concert venue in the middle of nowhere. The stage was shaped like a giant, brown church organ, really, and the spectator section consisted of various round, clay-like slopes with small spots of tables and sunshades inbetween. I tried to find the one in the middle with the best possible view.

Don't remember much else of the action here, only that IMMEDIATELY next to the stage was this incredible tall mountain wall that just disappeared in the fog as it went up -- a bit like the wall in GAME OF THRONES.

Anyways, I went back to the cottage, which was now transformed to a Vietnamese fishing village in sunset, and as I approached, I welcomed a few fishermen in the their canoes as they arrived. They were FSM members. I can only remember Mark Ford -- who for some reason didn't recognize me after we had met in LA last year -- but there were several others too.

I had another Williams-related dream last night.

I dreamt I was at the AFI reception for him (which is being held next year in real life), and I was allowed backstage. Somehow, I got the opportunity to take a picture with myself, Williams and Spielberg (it's been a lifelong dream to meet one of these idols of mine, much less both at the same time), but as the picture was taken, two people jumped up behind us and photobombed the picture -- Tom Hanks and Leonardo DiCaprio, making funny faces. I remember being annoyed by how they ruined my unique moment, even if it had probably been the fan shot of the year in real life. 

I remember communicating with someone from Boston Pops on e-mail, asking them if they wanted me as host for one of their big John Williams concerts (not conducted by the man himself). The person said 'sure, why not?', and then flashforward to me apparently having travelled across the pond.

I was with some friends, exploring an area that was NOT Boston. I was on some sort of holiday, wearing only shorts and T-shirt. Suddenly, I realized it was just 15 minutes to the concert started which I was supposed to host. I rushed to the venue, and only as I got closer did I realize that T-shirt and shorts was perhaps not the most appropriate attire.

Then I remember running through these maze of corridors of a venue that was FAR larger than Symphony Hall in Boston. The venue was more like a stadium, closer to Hollywood Bowl, in fact -- but not with quite as steep seating (and it was indoors). And I was now underneath this 'stadium', trying to find the artist entrance just as the first audience members were seaping in.

I eventually found it (got through security just by saying "I'm hosting the show"), and found a group of arrangers sitting in a couch area, obviously planning the event. They met me with reserved enthusiasm. They said I could get a smoking in the room next door, no problem (they have everything planned out in the US!). So I got in and a tailor-type person helped me into the smoking, then I continued running to the 'operations' room to get information on the proceedings. I only now realized I hadn't prepared anything at all, and would just need to take it as it comes (I didn't even know the programme). Anyways, after wandering through a mud-filled corridor(!), and having to remove my shiny shoes, I got into the room.

"Who's the boss?", I said to the first person I met at top of a gallery-like staircase, and he pointed to a person down below -- a rough-looking French(?) guy wearing caps and military T-shirt, with a headset, clearly giving orders to others, all stressed out. I got down and said "here I am! I will be hosting the show, right?". He paused for a moment and said "no, I don't think so. We don't use hosts". I looked back in shock. "But I've travelled here all the way from Norway...". "Well", he responded, "you need to get in touch with the right persons beforehand. You need to get back in line now", and then he arrogantly moved on.

So that was that. All this stress for nothing. What a downer ending. But slightly humouous -- and surprisingly coherent for my dreams.

I think it's very clear that my subconscious is trying to rid itself of trauma considering my real-life job rejections and other things, plus my deep trauma of never having met Williams despite multiple efforts.

19 hours ago, Thor said:

(also includes posts from the year 2000 by our resident Marian).

Surely the dream where Goldsmith came to visit and I spent the entire time buried under a pile of CDs from my collapsed shelves looking for something he could sign, while he talked to my parents and left before I got free.

I still remember that vividly.

I had a dream with a composer named Williams last night. Not John Williams, but rather Harry Gregson-Williams for some reason.

In the dream, I asked him why no expanded editions of his Narnia scores exist and he said it got something to do with Disney. So I convinced him to reach out to LLL and Disney to let they expand not only the two Narnia scores but also Kingdom of Heaven (which is a Disney movie now).

This thread gave me a new JW dream. I was with a group of people who met with him somewhere in some city, or something like that - I don't remember who the other people were, and I think only one of them was actually talking to Williams. Meanwhile I was preparing a track for the "John Williams Run", which I was going to post live on Instagram. It was a roughly 250m long track, and I was wondering if I should have the guy who was talking to JW ask him whether he would participate.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

This thread gave me a new JW dream. I was with a group of people who met with him somewhere in some city, or something like that - I don't remember who the other people were, and I think only one of them was actually talking to Williams. Meanwhile I was preparing a track for the "John Williams Run", which I was going to post live on Instagram. It was a roughly 250m long track, and I was wondering if I should have the guy who was talking to JW ask him whether he would participate.

Yes. That's interesting. When I am meeting a composer in my dream we are never alone. There is always this group of 6 to 10 people around and I never know or remember who they are. But I am one of them.

On 28/05/2023 at 6:32 PM, Thor said:

Edit:

And now FSM is back up already. I really recommend reading the whole thread, as it's quite entertaining (also includes posts from the year 2000 by our resident Marian).

As promised, some copy/pasting of my own Williams dreams, over a period of almost 20 years. Have yourself a cup of coffee, or wine, and delve into the bizarre dream world (or skip the long post altogether, if you don't like reading about other people's dreams):

That's great. Thank you. I already read though some. You really have a good memory about your dreams.

Especially when the environment or the situation or people change drastically I often completely lose, what happened before the change. So, if I am lucky I remember the last situation.

10 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

You really have a good memory about your dreams.

Especially when the environment or the situation or people change drastically I often completely lose, what happened before the change. So, if I am lucky I remember the last situation.

It helps when a dream is so frustrating that you wake up at the end and are still frustrated. That's what happened to me with that Goldsmith dream. Last night's Williams dream was only slightly frustrating (I remember being really conflicted about whether I should have someone ask Williams to join the run), so the memory is already much blurrier.

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, artguy360 said:

Last night I dreamed I was JW but retiring as a high school music teacher. My last class was making a recording of the Star Wars main title performed by a high school music class with recorders, kazoos, and other poorly performed instruments. James Mangold stopped by to give me a cassette tape recording of the DoD scoring sessions...

How much of the Main Title did you manage to record?  To the end of the crawl, to the Star Destroyer Flyover, or was it the full concert arrangement with the End Title at the end?

6 hours ago, Brónach said:

I think I forgot entirely, plus i'm sensing a running gag here of me losing track of all the concert pieces and getting nervous about it.

I have at least 8 different recordings of the concert version of the Star Wars main title…

35 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Actually, it was Gia's son, Giannini.

How do you know, you weren’t in my dream. Or was it you pretending to be Giacchino’s son pretending to be Giacchino pretending to be Williams? 

41 minutes ago, Brónach said:

If you are John Williams, I am Mickey Mouse!

How dare he?!

23 minutes ago, JTW said:

How do you know, you weren’t in my dream. Or was it you pretending to be Giacchino’s son pretending to be Giacchino pretending to be Williams? 

I dreamt I was in a dream inside a dream...

53 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

He also was very lucidly describing a ton of Spider-Man lore and everyone here was like "Wow, in his 90s and sharp as a tack!" 

Suddenly, the image of 90-year-old John Williams reading a ton of Spiderman comics to do a research for his score came to my mind and I loved it.