John Williams and Anne-Sophie Mutter @ Heinz Hall (Pittsburgh, PA) - December 12, 2023

SyncMan

4 hours ago, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

my guess is really that she isn't the giant Williams fan she says she is, and her knowledge of his music is probably quite small in reality.

I don't think there's anything she's said or done that could lead to that conclusion. Have I missed something, or is that just a hunch?

9 hours ago, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

I would guess her son probably is involved, my guess is really that she isn't the giant Williams fan she says she is, and her knowledge of his music is probably quite small in reality. Seeing as Andre suggested CL and Dracula, I don't think shes going to remember other pieces besides Hedwig and the more famous bits of Star Wars. Funny she will occasionally bring up Rey's theme, but I think they only played it the one time at Tanglewood?

And Munich.

On 15/12/2023 at 5:39 AM, Amer said:

It would be awesome if this was issued as a cd or blu ray. The two new pieces premiered are incredibly good! I want them.

My thoughts exactly. 

What's the possibility of an official release of some kind, I wonder? 

21 hours ago, rough cut said:

Yes, but for the life of me, I can’t recall where I read it. Maybe even an Instagram post?

I can also vaguely remember ASM raving about the super-cool JW fan community...maybe in connection with Vienna I or Berlin.

3 hours ago, Badzeee said:

What's the possibility of an official release of some kind, I wonder? 

Same as the Japan concert (Matsumoto or Tokyo, both filmed): possible, but not certain. Maybe Pittsburgh has a slightly better chance of being released on Blu-ray because of Anne-Sophie Mutter's participation. For now, we only have the premiere on Stage+.

However, I think DG will release something next year.

2 hours ago, BB-8 said:

I can also vaguely remember ASM raving about the super-cool JW fan community...maybe in connection with Vienna I or Berlin.

The quote I’m referring to had more to do about her son being a soundtrack enthusiast and how he had put up a few suggestions to his mom about additional pieces to perform - “mom, you’ve gotta record this!”. It didn’t specify which tracks, but it’s not hard to imagine that it was some of the “rarer” pieces that usually doesn’t get re-recoded (Dracula, Cinderella Liberty).

16 hours ago, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

I would guess her son probably is involved, my guess is really that she isn't the giant Williams fan she says she is, and her knowledge of his music is probably quite small in reality. Seeing as Andre suggested CL and Dracula, I don't think shes going to remember other pieces besides Hedwig and the more famous bits of Star Wars. Funny she will occasionally bring up Rey's theme, but I think they only played it the one time at Tanglewood?

I think it is a both/and.  Yes, her son loves JW and encouraged her to reach out to him.  Yes, she is genuinely a fan of both his music and him as a person.  I think both aspects come through quite clearly when she speaks of him.  Plus, she has performed the concerto and film adaptations at so many concerts in which Williams had no part.  

I'm from Pittsburgh originally.  The first time I ever stepped foot in Heinz Hall was for a John Williams concert, but not conducted by him.

Would have loved to see you all there, but seeing as I now live on the West Coast, and am not home for Christmas yet...perhaps another time.

Here she is expressing some of her love...

(I bet those "Christmas cookies" were John's favourite: Jewelled Chocolate Bark.)

https://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2023/12/11/amanpour-mutter-williams.cnn

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/12/2023 at 2:11 PM, BB-8 said:

Dear Maestro,

Please, write a full-length concerto for violin and large orchestra dedicated exclusively to me.

As a token of my gratitude, I am sending this assortment of Christmas cookies from Munich.

Eine Sternenzerstörer aus Lebkuchen

Ein Sternenzerstörer aus Lebkuchen Foto: starwars_bakery/Instagram

Yours,

ASM

One year later...a subtle reminder:

Das Todesstern-Lebkuchenhaus

Das Todesstern-Lebkuchenhaus Foto: imgur/TheyWillKnowMeByTheTrailOfDead

rsw.jpg

Dear Maestro,

Know what I mean? ;););) 

Love,

Daisy (baby)

What? What does she mean? I'm naive, help me out! :)

23 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

What? What does she mean? I'm naive, help me out! :)

Spoiler

Write the score to the Rey movie. 

20 minutes ago, JTW said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Oh, I thought it might mean

Spoiler

She likes to be on top.

Of a cake, of course. Get your mind out of the gutter! :)

On 02/01/2024 at 4:01 PM, Ricard said:

For Germany, Austria and Switzerland only, if I'm not mistaken.

You are not, but I would suggest to have a look here: in a few minutes I managed to legally watch it from the UK :

https://www.vpnjantit.com/create-free-account?server=gr2&type=OpenVPN

It is geo-blocked BUT like was mentioned a quick few settings with a VPN and voila, watching from North America! 

Great concert by the way, Williams looked really good and that version of Anakin's Theme may be my favorite yet! It really had the juxtaposition of the pain/tragedy vs innocence wrapped together.

4 hours ago, KittBash said:

Williams looked really good and that version of Anakin's Theme may be my favorite yet! It really had the juxtaposition of the pain/tragedy vs innocence wrapped together.

Was it the same version that was played at Tanglewood last summer?

1 hour ago, Mr. Hooper said:

That's a great question I hadn't heard the Tanglewood one... maybe someone who has knows ??

Oh, here's the answer!

On 12/12/2023 at 10:14 PM, rpvee said:

...but the bigger highlight for me was the new version of “Anakin’s Theme” that was also done for her. It took the changes from the version debuted at Tanglewood this past summer and greatly expanded on them, ending on a haunting harp rendition of the Imperial March very similar to what’s played when the character dies at the end of Return of the Jedi - a truly unexpected and chill-inducing callback!

I personally prefer the OST version over the Tanglewood one, but would love to hear this new expanded treatment.

4 hours ago, Mr. Hooper said:

No, this was the premier of the arrangement for solo violin and orchestra.

And speaking of the concert, I think the piano trio version of Schindler's List might be my favorite version. I especially love it when the cello and violin play the melody together

5 hours ago, Mr. Hooper said:

I personally prefer the OST version over the Tanglewood one, but would love to hear this new expanded treatment.

Someone posted it on YouTube:

I do hope the harp statement of the Imperial March at the end was an intentional callback to Vader’s Death. So good.

Oh wow, goosebumps at the end... And yeah, that harp statement has to be intentional.