John Williams and Anne-Sophie Mutter @ Heinz Hall (Pittsburgh, PA) - December 12, 2023

SyncMan

I thought that the April 2022 Pittsburgh concert was a once in a lifetime experience. While that was an unforgettable experience, I am definitely going to see the Maestro again.

I'm planning a short December holiday road trip around this concert in Pittsburgh (never seen Heinz Hall and will try and see a Holiday Pops concert in Cincinnati too).

Unfortunately tickets aren't offered to the general public until September 29th which is still far away.

Would anyone have a subscriber promo code they could please send me privately? :)

• 2 months later...

Anyone managed to get tickets this morning? Was in right at 10am and when I tried to add a superb ticket to my cart the site crashed. :@

5 minutes ago, Foxfan said:

Anyone managed to get tickets this morning? Was in right at 10am and when I tried to add a superb ticket to my cart the site crashed. :@

Crashed for me too but seems to be better now. Just got second row on the left!

Yep finally got one row F a little on the left and got a confirmation. There was one available dead center in the same row but lost it when the site crashed. Looks like it's back now if somebody wants it.

Left side should be good to see the interplay between Williams and Mutter.

Pricing was alright (about $120).

23 minutes ago, Foxfan said:

Yep finally got one row F a little on the left and got a confirmation. There was one available dead center in the same row but lost it when the site crashed. Looks like it's back now if somebody wants it.

Left side should be good to see the interplay between Williams and Mutter.

Pricing was alright (about $120).

Nice seat!

Yeah, this pricing is much more what I’m using to for Williams, even with special guests. The upcoming NYC and Philly prices are ridiculous, especially the latter!

Yeah when I saw it was a "benefit concert" I was a little worried that it might be in the $400s like I paid in New York in April (at the end of a year-long gap year I just finished paying off two weeks ago)! :blink:

In Philadelphia it was close to $200 in 2022, which given current exchange rates was already tough on a Canadian's wallet.

Yeah I think the Williams part of the program will probably be arrangements from the Across the Stars CD, given Anne-Sophie Mutter's appearance. I hope they do Sabrina!

Helena's Theme is pretty much a given.

31 minutes ago, Foxfan said:

Yeah I think the Williams part of the program will probably be arrangements from the Across the Stars CD, given Anne-Sophie Mutter's appearance. I hope they do Sabrina!

Helena's Theme is pretty much a given.

They will throw in some non-Mutter pieces to let her rest.  Probably some opening fanfare, a middle piece, and end with Throne Room.  

I think there's always hope he'll premier a new arrangement. Mutter did say Williams was working on more - just not clear if she was only refering to Helena's Theme.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, rpvee said:

Who else is going tomorrow? :)

I am! I just arrived in Pittsburgh today.

Anyone up for a pre-concert drink or (cheap eats) dinner?

Do we know more about the program Williams will be leading in the second half?

42 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

Scherzo for violin and motorcycle? Has that been debuted elsewhere? I don’t recall hearing of that ASM arrangement before now.

Sounds like a new one.  

6 hours ago, Mr. Hooper said:

Williams is looking and sounding energetic in that video! Wishing all of you going a great time!

Yes, he looks at least a few years younger than during his Oscar interviews in the spring, and he is also full of joyful energy. :) 

I know there will be a number of you bored of hearing The Imperial March at every concert... BUT NOT ME!!! 🤩

I'd trade it for the Battle of Hoth though, imagine that live (without the bombardment of sound effects). ❤️

The interviewer also cunningly prevents JW from telling the "all-dead" anecdote again by saying:

"I mean, let's face it: all the-the...the classics you play, you know the composers are no longer with us..."

image.png

8 hours ago, aj_vader said:

I know there will be a number of you bored of hearing The Imperial March at every concert... BUT NOT ME!!! 🤩

I'd trade it for the Battle of Hoth though, imagine that live (without the bombardment of sound effects). ❤️

What I’d really like to hear is a concert arrangement from Rise of Skywalker or The Fabelmans. I don’t think there has been one performed in concert yet.

Oh, well the pandemic made me miss a lot of concerts and so far haven’t heard it in Philly 2022, NY Phil April 2023 or Tanglewood 2023.

So how many of y’all are in Pittsburgh tonight?

None of the Rise of Skywalker concert arrangements (there's 4 of them) have actually been conducted in a concert by Williams himself yet!

Only by other conductors.

Why?  Who knows...

I literally have one ticket that's going to go to waste tonight. My daughter could not come with me to see this concert. The ticket is in row j which is fairly close to the front.

If there's anybody reading this that wishes to be in this concert tonight and can meet me outside of Heinz Hall, I can sell it for a reduced price and in you go!

I will not have internet access once I leave my airbnb.   I will be here till about 5:00 p.m. then I'm starting to head over to Heinz Hall.  

Also here is some more promotion I found on the internet about the concert:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wtae.com/amp/article/john-williams-pittsburgh-symphony-orchestra/46098489

I just bought my ticket. I wish I had seen this! But I am fairly excited. When his last Pittsburgh concert got cancelled, I thought there went my chance. I had forgotten this was happening. I’m glad I was able to secure a ticket.

VERY excited about the new arrangements for violin. Those are two of my favorite compositions and I’m a big fan of the Williams-Mutter arrangements. Bring it on.

Glad you can come!   It's a great opportunity.  The next two concerts he's involved in are nowhere near this cheap.... Need to grab this while we can!

https://www.wtae.com/article/john-williams-pittsburgh-symphony-orchestra/46098489

I'm at the Starbucks across the street from Heinz Hall...if someone wants one ticket, ten rows from the front for a steep discount let me know.  The event is sold out.  You would be sitting right behind me so this is legit.

IMG_20231212_172533053.jpg

Found a good (and affordable) Greek place to eat (Christo’s) on Sixth. 

Afterwards I think I’ll pop over to RedBeard’s on Sixth for a beer (or two) before the show, with Heinz Hall just across the street