Poll: How would you rate Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (Film & Score)

How would you rate Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destinty (Film & Score)  

87 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate the film (in stars)?

2. 2. How would you rate the score (in stars)?

3. 3. How would you rate the album presentation of the score (in stars)?

• 4 weeks later...

I seem to like the movie better than the score.

It works just fine, but none seems to transcend that true magic that the best of Williams brings to the table.

Even KotCS had the alternate "Ugh, Vines!" which really grabs me.

Film: 7

Was expecting worse, never expected great.  I don't think it was a disaster to the franchise that yellow font, goofy ass YouTube thumbnails would have you think.  The macguffin ending is arguably better than the second half of KOTCS... although that might not be saying much.  If anything it shows how good of an actor Ford truly is. His acting was well worth the price of admission.

Score: 8

Love it.  How could I not? The 8 is in comparison to the other scores in the series though. Prob a 10 if it was the only Indy score ever.  Raiders March simply just wins.

Album presentation: 8

Obviously I want every cue but the presentation itself serves as a great capsule of the film.  I do feel like I have to listen to this score from start to end more so than the other Indy scores.  Hopping in and out of it isn't as fun as the other 4.

It will be the last time I talk about this issue, but the fact that I was unable to get the physical CD of that album completely RUINED my experience of it.

I've said it, and I mean it.

1 minute ago, Bespin said:

It will be the last time I talk about this issue, but the fact that I was unable to get the physical CD of that album completely RUINED my experience of it.

I've said it, and I mean it.

"Babe wake up, new AI Bespin post"

I am surprised there isn't a poll ranking all five movies and scores (with Jurassic Shark picking The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles).  

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/07/2023 at 7:13 PM, Jay said:

"Ugh, Vines" is a made-up fan name.

Williams titled that cue "Mike Kahn Cooks"

I didn't know that was public knowledge already!

• 3 weeks later...

Film: solid, not as good as Raiders or Last Crusade but better than Crystal Skull. I'd say about on par with Temple of Doom.

Score: really good, especially love the new themes for Helena and the Nazis and I like the Archimedes theme too. A far better score for him to (possibly) retire on than Rise of Skywalker.

Album: the entire first act only has 4-5 tracks representing it and there's only one 4-minute track from the ~20-minute opening sequence. Not quite as bad as a lot of JW album releases are because at least the tracks aren't chopped up and reordered strangely, but still, so much is missing.

The film is pretty meh. Slower than I expected and quite clunky. The score is great, thematically rich, full of wonderful JW flourishes. The biggest letdown in the score is the action music. There is some fun action comedy music, but there's no kickass, blood pumping JW Indy action music aside from the reused greatest hits from the opening sequence.

On 01/09/2023 at 2:09 PM, Mr. Hooper said:

I felt like walking out on the movie halfway through. It was tedious, Helena was obnoxious (and not in an endearing way), and the time travel element was silly and didn't pay off in any satisfying way. And I didn't relish seeing Indy as a shirtless, broken down man who drinks in the morning...

Musically, 'Helena's Theme' makes the score for me. The director was apparently worried that it was too lush. I kinda agree — it's too beautiful a theme for the character.

Exactly my sentiments about the film and Helena's theme.(Fortunately I didn't see it at the cinema but at my home, and in the middle I took a 2 hour break! :P And still I found it boring!)

Anyway, I just voted too since I watched it today.

The score for me was, besides well crafted as always, nothing extraordinary and I would rank it in my bottom 10 Williams (from 1975 and on, since I'm not that familiar with the pre-Jaws scores).