Did you get the Dial of Destiny soundtrack on the CD format before it sold out?

Jay

Did you get the Dial of Destiny soundtrack on the CD format before it sold out?  

183 members have voted

1. 1. Did you get the Dial of Destiny soundtrack on the CD format before it sold out?

• Yes, I pre-ordered the CD from Disney Emporium in June/July
    • No, because the order page was removed before I could order it there
    • No, because I assumed it would be sold through other retailers in August
    • No, because I do not want to own this album on CD
    • Yes, but only when it returned for sale for briefly in August

1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I got the same response.

specify to them that you dont want the refund of the customs fees and local tax you have had to pay in your country, you want to be returned the USA VAT they charged when ordering the item.

Thanks a lot for your help.

16 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I got the same response.

specify to them that you dont want the refund of the customs fees and local tax you have had to pay in your country, you want to be returned the USA VAT they charged when ordering the item.

Yes same here

As far as I know, there is no VAT in USA.

I just did some further check, and I am starting to think that the tax applied is correct.
I went on the UK government website, and although no duty fee is due in this purchase due to lo value of the item, UK VAT is due on the item and the shipping costs as well when you buy an item abroad, and it is charged by the seller for low amounts like this. I did a quick calculation and the tax applied to my order is 20% of the CD price+shipping cost, which is the UK VAT rate, so as much as I hate to say this, I really think Ariel is right, at least in my case. 

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

The seller *can* charge the VAT of the destination country if they like, to allow you to pay everything up front with less hassle. Amazon does, for example, and also Arrow Video. But if they do, they have to correctly declared the package so that it's marked as already taxed and isn't re-taxed by the customs office (and they have to pay the collected VAT to whoever collects that, obviously). DME's FAQ states that they cannot and do not charges taxes on international orders, but apparently they do (at least what I've seen so far has always seemed to match the VAT in the respective destination country) - but they don't declare it on the package, so effectively, they're just increasing the item price by the VAT amount and collecting the entire amount themselves (whether they keep the whole amount or pass on the extra bit I don't know), and then, because it's not officially taxed already, the destination country's customs office calculates the actual VAT based on that (already increased) final price and collects that (plus handling fees).

The UK government website says something different:

"Goods worth £135 or less in total

If you bought the goods yourself and they are not excise goods, the seller will have included VAT in the total you paid.

You will need to pay VAT to the delivery company if the goods are:

gifts sent to you by someone else and worth more than £39

excise goods".

So the UK government is expecting the seller to charge VAT.

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

39 minutes ago, ciarlese said:

The UK government website says something different:

"Goods worth £135 or less in total

If you bought the goods yourself and they are not excise goods, the seller will have included VAT in the total you paid.

You will need to pay VAT to the delivery company if the goods are:

gifts sent to you by someone else and worth more than £39

excise goods".

So the UK government is expecting the seller to charge VAT.

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

You might want to check this page too, which discusses the possibility of the goods not having been declared correctly by the seller: https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/documents

59 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

And if they don't? That all sounds a bit fuzzy.

Don't know, however I have been charged by the sender the extra 20% the government is expecting so everything seems in order to me.

49 minutes ago, Jilal said:

You might want to check this page too, which discusses the possibility of the goods not having been declared correctly by the seller: https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/documents

I have received goods from USA in the past (mainly CDs 😁) and this has never been the case so I have no reason to assume this might happen this time.

Also, we are in a case where no custom duty is payable due to the low value of the item, so it is even less likely that anything may go wrong.

However, in the worst case scenario I will get a letter from the government asking to pay what they claim and at that stage in might have something to further complain about to Disney.

7 minutes ago, ciarlese said:

Don't know, however I have been charged by the sender the extra 20% the government is expecting so everything seems in order to me.

*If* they declared it correctly. They obviously didn't do so for any of us mainland Europeans.

4 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

*If* they declared it correctly. They obviously didn't do so for any of us mainland Europeans.

Why do you say so? It is not so obvious to me. I certainly see some confusion in this forum, and surely Disney haven't been clear enough, but I can't see anything proving that they were wrong, neither I have seen any comments of any members receiving government letters asking for extra fees to be paid to release their parcel.

Also, Disney website states as follows :"While we take steps to minimize or eliminate the cost of importing for our customers, we are required by law to provide accurate information to customs officials. Marking an order as a 'Gift' will not prevent fees from being charged".

To me this means that they put the required care to fill every need documentation. Still, mistakes can still happen of course...

4 hours ago, ciarlese said:

Why do you say so? It is not so obvious to me. I certainly see some confusion in this forum, and surely Disney haven't been clear enough, but I can't see anything proving that they were wrong, neither I have seen any comments of any members receiving government letters asking for extra fees to be paid to release their parcel.

Also, Disney website states as follows :"While we take steps to minimize or eliminate the cost of importing for our customers, we are required by law to provide accurate information to customs officials. Marking an order as a 'Gift' will not prevent fees from being charged".

To me this means that they put the required care to fill every need documentation. Still, mistakes can still happen of course...

Because it doesn't check out. They taxed me 20% of the price, which corresponds (intentionally or not) to the Austrian VAT, but the package didn't have a customs declaration on it and the customs office re-taxed the package accordingly. Also, DME refunded the taxes they had charged themselves without complaint.

I don't know how it works in "real life" in the UK, but in Austria, if we get a commercial package that hasn't been taxed already, the customs office will either calculate the amount of tax based on the declaration label on the package or, if it's missing or they don't trust it, open the package and investigate the contents. On several occasions, I got an email from them telling me that the package hadn't been declared and no receipt had been included, and asked me to send them a copy of the receipt before they could finish the taxing process.

I don't have the envelopes DME used anymore, but they were declared for the correct amount, sans tax. I.e. they were either incorrectly declared if DME had really intended to handle the Austrian VAT, or they had been declared correctly but the tax collected by DME was invalid. The second option is what DME acknowledged and promptly refunded.

23 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Because it doesn't check out. They taxed me 20% of the price, which corresponds (intentionally or not) to the Austrian VAT, but the package didn't have a customs declaration on it and the customs office re-taxed the package accordingly. Also, DME refunded the taxes they had charged themselves without complaint.

I don't know how it works in "real life" in the UK, but in Austria, if we get a commercial package that hasn't been taxed already, the customs office will either calculate the amount of tax based on the declaration label on the package or, if it's missing or they don't trust it, open the package and investigate the contents. On several occasions, I got an email from them telling me that the package hadn't been declared and no receipt had been included, and asked me to send them a copy of the receipt before they could finish the taxing process.

I don't have the envelopes DME used anymore, but they were declared for the correct amount, sans tax. I.e. they were either incorrectly declared if DME had really intended to handle the Austrian VAT, or they had been declared correctly but the tax collected by DME was invalid. The second option is what DME acknowledged and promptly refunded.

So the Austrian government didn't acknowledge the VAT you had already paid 🤔.

At least Disney issued a refund immediately, which is what I would expect.

Well I guess I have to wait a few weeks and see what happens with my parcel as it approaches Great Britain...

On 11/09/2023 at 6:51 PM, BB-8 said:

Yep, same. When I look at the order form at Disney Music Emporium it says "shipped" but the expected send date is October 18th.

Last APC status update (arrived in country of destination) was September 8th.

Update:

I was notified yesterday that it had entered customs and was due out for delivery 'today'...we'll see.

10 hours ago, ciarlese said:

So the Austrian government didn't acknowledge the VAT you had already paid 🤔.

And correctly so, because as far as I could tell from the declaration papers on the package, it was not declared as already taxed. And DME confirmed (rightly or wrongly) that they don't tax international orders.

13 hours ago, ciarlese said:

My parcel was on hold until i paid the spanish vat

in the dme tracking site provided, it stated clearly that the package had no prepaid customs duties. Unlike the order last year who went to my house without customs intervention.

23 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

My parcel was on hold until i paid the spanish vat

Wow they really are a bunch of jobsworths, holding back packages for a few measly cents! I mean it’s ONE CD, not a Gucci bag! 😅

1 minute ago, Foxfan said:

Wow they really are a bunch of jobsworths, holding back packages for a few measly cents! I mean it’s ONE CD, not a Gucci bag! 😅

Hey, this CD is worth as much as a Gucci bag on eBay.

38 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Hey, this CD is worth as much as a Gucci bag on eBay.

Haha yeah now it is! 😂

So will you be declaring this windfall capital gain on your tax return? 🤓

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Oh no, you took off the shrink-wrap! Now it's only worth €2499...

No, it's still on - look closely.

Funny to think that I have heard both versions of Helena's Theme live (Milan, Hamburg) before the CD arrived.

On 11/09/2023 at 10:52 PM, Luke Skywalker said:

I got the same response.

Today I have received the following response:

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

I apologize for any inconvenience or confusion caused. Please note that when purchasing goods from a supplier outside of the EU, import VAT and customs duties will be applicable upon the arrival of the goods in your country. This is irrespective of whether VAT has been charged by the supplier in the country of origin.

Regrettably, we are unable to provide a tax refund as the charge is valid.

Once again, I apologize for any inconvenience caused and thank you for your understanding.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further inquiries or concerns.

Kind regards,

Ariel
Customer Service

This states correctly that they cannot refund the tax that has been charged by *your country's* customs office. But if your order receipt includes a tax charged by DME, they have to either explain why that tax is valid, or refund that.

1 hour ago, scoreman36 said:

For those of us who failed repeatedly to get this when it was on sale, would someone be kind enough to post photos of the cd booklet?

How's this?

https://twitter.com/disneymusicemp/status/1675173270520463361