Star Wars: The Story in Music (2023 concert debuts new live pieces)

Pat_S

On 23/08/2023 at 1:26 PM, michael_grig said:

A small breakdown of the changes that were necessary, probably to tighten up the dramaturgy a bit:

Main Title – HL SE (till bar 73)

Flag Parade – HL SE (bar 9-56 cut, bar 95-104 cut, bar 132-139cut)

Anakin’s Theme – JKMS Typeset (w/ JW fixes 07/25/23)

Duel Of The Fates – HL SE (bar 21-85cut, bar 104-137 cut)

Across The Stars – HL SE

General Grievous (BPO Edited Version – July 2023)

Enter Lord Vader (BPO Edited Version – July 2023)

Leia’s Theme – HL SE

Binary Sunset (BPO Edited Version – July 2023)

Cantina Band (Sid Ramin Boston Pops Arrangement) - HL

Asteroid Field – HL SE (bar 69-136 cut)

Yoda’s Theme – HL SE

Imperial March – HL SE

Jabba The Hutt – Short version for SW: The Story in Music [23bars]

Luke & Leia – SW Musical Journey 2009

Parade of the Ewoks – HL SE

Forest Battle – HL SE (bar 3-14cut, bar 137-153 cut)

March of the Resistance – HL SE

Rey's Theme – HL SE

Scherzo for X-Wings – HL SE

The Jedi Steps – HL SE

Chrome Dome (BPO Edited Version – July 2023)

Rebellion – HL SE (bar56-99 cut)

Speeder Chase – [unreleased] HL SE (bar 62-114 cut)

Rey and Ben – [unreleased] HL SE

The Rise of Skywalker – [unreleased] HL SE (only until bar 104 –

attaca to “Throne Room & End Title” – HL SE (from bar 107 to end))

This is an accurate list. The "BPO Edited" versions are unlikely to be played by other ensembles in the future, but you never know.

This program will be repeated in Boston on September 21, 23, 24, and again on tour in Japan.

I see there are doing Harry Potter 1 LTP in a couple days too--anyone going to that?

The Ma/Ax/Kavakos trio is doing its Beethoven concert too--this is the same trio that premiered the new Schindler's List arrangement. I wonder if they will perform it as an encore (seems like Williams is hanging out there until Japan).  

57 minutes ago, Tom said:

That sounds like a completely new piece.  Does this mean that they have recorded the suite?

That's stock music....?

On 23/08/2023 at 7:26 PM, michael_grig said:

A small breakdown of the changes that were necessary, probably to tighten up the dramaturgy a bit:

Across The Stars – HL SE

Leia’s Theme – HL SE

Yoda’s Theme – HL SE

Imperial March – HL SE

Rey's Theme – HL SE

The Jedi Steps – HL SE

Rey and Ben – [unreleased] HL SE

Little edit: Apparently they will only play the first 15 bars of Rey and Ben... :( (which equals 00:00-0:48 of "Farewell" from the OST. Don't know how they will edit that, a direct segue to The Rise of Skywalker, @BSOinsider?

7 minutes ago, michael_grig said:

Little edit: Apparently they will only play the first 15 bars of Rey and Ben... :( (which equals 00:00-0:48 of "Farewell" from the OST. Don't know how they will edit that, a direct segue to The Rise of Skywalker, @BSOinsider?

I don't know exactly how they connect yet. My impression is that the narration will be between pieces and not during the music, but the rehearsals haven't happened yet so I don't actually know. 

2 hours ago, DangerMotif said:

The do it on the real Star Wars shows also

Which is absurd enough, but this is a trailer for the music.  That would be like a trailer for a Star Wars show using nothing but footage from Full House.  

17 hours ago, Tom said:

Which is absurd enough, but this is a trailer for the music.  That would be like a trailer for a Star Wars show using nothing but footage from Full House.  

Or using some stock March for a video of Anthony Daniel's talking about TROS being in Cinemaas.

;)

All nine incredible films

Michael Giacchino and John Powell off in a dark corner:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTKi3dMXxtgxcVFJkCt5Ols9blreDqDz6Hmcg&usqp=CAU

(I know what Keith meant, but still.)

I...kind of wish this presentation would get an album release of some sort. I know it's all stuff we've heard before, but the collector in me doesn't really get offended by more recordings.

7 hours ago, j39m said:

I...kind of wish this presentation would get an album release of some sort. I know it's all stuff we've heard before, but the collector in me doesn't really get offended by more recordings.

Dude, yeah that would be really cool! Now that they've put this whole presentation together and are playing it several times. And maybe more orchestras will pick it up in years to come, as it's going to be a good moneymaker for them. I would love if the BSO would release an album. Hopefully with no narration though!

I'm getting ready to head out for the show!

Who else from the site is going, again?

There's SO MANY available shed tickets available still; I don't know if that means it won't be a very popular concert, or just a concert where a majority of people were happy to be on the lawn?

11 hours ago, Jay said:

I'm getting ready to head out for the show!

Who else from the site is going, again?

There's SO MANY available shed tickets available still; I don't know if that means it won't be a very popular concert, or just a concert where a majority of people were happy to be on the lawn?

The narration is always between pieces except for the first 15 bars of 'Rey+Ben', which serves as underscore to the narrator. The narration is very theatrical and is focused mostly on the plot of the films, with occasional references to release order and other Star Wars chronological housekeeping issues.

Sunday afternoons tend to have a very well-sold lawn crowd, but I'm still surprised that the Shed isn't more sold. The Symphony Hall Boston performances on September 21, 23, 24 are selling very well.

1 minute ago, BSOinsider said:

The narration is always between pieces. The narration is very theatrical and is focused mostly on the plot of the films, with occasional references to release order and other Star Wars chronological housekeeping issues.

Sunday afternoons tend to have a very well-sold lawn crowd, but I'm still surprised that the Shed isn't more sold. The Symphony Hall Boston performances on September 21, 23, 24 are selling very well.

Thanks

Any idea about the Encores or JW’s showing up?

7 minutes ago, DangerMotif said:

Thanks

Any idea about the Encores or JW’s showing up?

JW is not here. The timing of the show doesn't allow for encores unfortunately. I was hoping for a lesser-played rarity added to the end, but there's not enough time.

Anyone who is here at Tanglewood right at noon will be treated to some bonus impromptu open rehearsal! 

On 23/8/2023 at 1:26 PM, michael_grig said:

Across The Stars – HL SE

Leia’s Theme – HL SE

Yoda’s Theme – HL SE

Imperial March – HL SE

Rey's Theme – HL SE

The Jedi Steps – HL SE

Rey and Ben – [unreleased] HL SE (unitll bar 15)

On the moneyIMG_6976.jpeg

Intermission now. It's an interesting concert, the narration is not what I was expecting at all. Lots of jokes and real-world commentary included. 

Here's the official program / set list. 

PXL_20230827_192813210.jpg

3 hours ago, BSOinsider said:

JW is not here.

Any idea if there are plans for him to be at any of the Boston concerts (including the couple tribute ones)?

1 minute ago, rpvee said:

Any idea if there are plans for him to be at any of the Boston concerts (including the couple tribute ones)?

He is recording video segments which will be played between pieces for the Tribute program, but I haven’t heard if he will be there in person yet.

One of my favorite concerts i’ve ever been to. I was a little nervous about the narrator but it worked out very well, and Duel Of The Fates was amazing. My only issues where some performance issues, mainly in the brass, most probably due to most of the players being on tour. And that I think it lost a little steam during the sequel trilogy. Amazing concert and much prefer the going the movie suite route instead of jumping around.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Intermission now. It's an interesting concert, the narration is not what I was expecting at all. Lots of jokes and real-world commentary included. 

Here's the official program / set list. 

PXL_20230827_192813210.jpg

Kinda sucks that Revenge of the Sith is the only movie to not have its main theme in the line up. 

I've never thought of Battle of the Heroes as the main theme of the score, but I get what you mean. The reason it's not here is certainly due to there not being a choir-free arrangement. 

29 minutes ago, Falstaft said:

Seems like I'll have to be making some updates to the Concert Arrangements section of the SW Thematic Catalogue! Based on initial impressions of the stuff that's genuinely novel in the program:

• General Grievous: Essentially the same as the ROTS OST track 5 up until the splice that happens at 2:19, where this arrangement just ends. So, 3m7 + 4m4, but not 4m4A.
  • Enter Lord Vader: Essentially the same as ROTS OST track 11. (Entirety of 5m6)
  • Binary Sunset: Nothing more or less than the sunset sequence from ANH, so the middle of "The Princess Appears" (3m1), starting from the the brief arpeggiated intro, through force theme, and with a sustained G-pedal to conclude rather than a transition to the rebel fanfare as in the original cue.
  • Chrome Dome: Essentially identical to TLJ OST track 15 (7m69)
  • Speeder Chase: Presumably taken from the Concert Arrangement from the TROS Signature Edition, or a portion of it. Has a new, tiny (1 measure?) swell to kick things off, followed by a slight reworking of the material 0:00-0:14, then proceeds exactly as the track 5 does. That is, up until the moment that corresponds to ~1:45 on the track 5. Everything following that timestamp is gone, replaced by a short but entirely new and quite sparkly new ending based on the cue's heroic theme. Kind of an odd arrangement -- would work brilliantly if more of the material was preserved from the latter portion of the track.
  • Farewell (Rey and Ben): Just the opening portion of OST track 16, through the complete statement of Rey's theme. No kiss music, no Ben's death, etc. So, almost certainly just a segment of the large-scale concert arrangement we know JW prepared, but not its entirety. Narration on top covers basically the entire plot of TROS after Pasaana. 
  • Rise of Skywalker: Essentially the same as TROS OST track 3, up until the end of the tutti statement of Victory (3:30 on the track), segueing immediately to the ESB version of the End Credits (in Eb, so barely justified by the Bb cadence in Rise). Incredibly clumsy transition into credits music, but hey, haven't they all been since AOTC?! ;)

The lingering question for me is whether Speeder Chase is verbatim the signature edition arrangement, just part of it, or a new arrangement specifically for this series.

Quite a few cuts were used to keep the concert close to the 2 hour mark. The specific cuts are listed by another user earlier in this discussion.

Speeder Chase was HL Signature, with a sizable cut from 61-114. Yes, measure 61 in HL corresponds to just about 1:45 on track 5.

Farewell (Rey and Ben) was just the opening 15 bars of the 70 bar piece. 

Rise of Skywalker was also cut short with an added transition as you describe. I anticipate that that specific transition spot will be reworked before the Boston and Japan performances. 

28 minutes ago, Jay said:

I've never thought of Battle of the Heroes as the main theme of the score, but I get what you mean. The reason it's not here is certainly due to there not being a choir-free arrangement. 

Really? It always seemed like the obvious main theme of the score.

So DOTF was done without choir? 

2 hours ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Really? It always seemed like the obvious main theme of the score.

For being the main theme it sure doesn't appear very much.

8 hours ago, SilverTrumpet said:

So DOTF was done without choir? 

This entire concert had no choir

9 hours ago, Jay said:

I've never thought of Battle of the Heroes as the main theme of the score, but I get what you mean.

Me neither. But then again, what is? I don't feel like Revenge of the Sith is the kind of score that really has a "main theme" in the usual sense of the word, which is perfectly fine of course.

Its partially the result of its bridging function, I think.

8 hours ago, michael_grig said:

They played ESB? I thought they chose the ANH credits.

I mean the opening of the ESB credits (and all subsequent SW scores), which starts in E-flat major, instead of the Db major unique to ANH. Everything is otherwise the same as the ANH End Title, as reworked into the "Main Theme" as we know it, with, for example, that explicit rather than implicit statement of the Throne Room theme near the end.

7 hours ago, Signals said:

For being the main theme it sure doesn't appear very much.

At least it is reprised in The Last Jedi.  

So, there is no Throne Room in this concert--that seems like a problem.