Who’s the greatest LIVING European film composer?

Thor

This question has spurred me to create a kind of “European Film Composer Championship”, or Eurovision, call it what you will. Yes, I know, film music can’t be reduced to a sporting event, but anyway. My answer is easy: After the passings of Vangelis and Morricone, it’s Hans Zimmer all the way, followed by Zbigniew Preisner!

But to make it more interesting, I’ve gone through every European nation, and tried to pinpoint what I think each country’s greatest, LIVING film composer is. Only ONE candidate to fight in the championship, mind you. I’ve also added an extra name for what I think is the ALLTIME greatest, even if he or she has passed. And two extra categories for what my FAVOURITE composers are, a purely subjective take. Obviously, in some cases I don’t have enough information on a country’s film music history. Feel free to make your own list, or provide me with tips for the question mark entries. Just for fun, y’all.

“Norway – douze points!”

Albania

Greatest living: ??
Alltime greatest: ??
Favourite living: ??
Alltime favourite: ??

Andora

Armenia

Alltime greatest: Aram Khachaturian
Alltime favourite: Aram Khachaturian

Austria

Greatest living: Paul Haslinger
Alltime greatest: Erich Wolfgang Korngold
Favourite living: Paul Haslinger
Alltime favourite: Erich Wolfgang Korngold

Azerbajian

Belarus

Belgium

Greatest living: Wim Mertens
Alltime greatest: Frédéric Devreese
Alltime favourite: Frédéric Devreese

Bosnia and Herzegovina

Bulgaria

Greatest living: Mario Grigorov

Croatia

Greatest living: Dalibor Grubacevic
Alltime greatest: Alfi Kabiljo
Favourite living: Dalibor Grubacevic
Alltime favourite: Alfi Kabiljo

Cyprus

Czech Republic

Greatest living: Jan Hammer
Alltime greatest: Jan Hammer (you came close, Karol Svoboda!)
Favourite living: Jan Hammer
Alltime favourite: Jan Hammer

Denmark

Greatest living: Per Nørgaard
Alltime greatest: Bent Fabricius Bjerre
Favourite living: Jesper Kyd
Alltime favourite: Bent Fabricius Bjerre

Estonia

Greatest living: Arvo Pärt
Alltime greatest: Arvo Pärt
Favourite living: Arvo Pärt
Alltime favourite: Arvo Pärt

Finland

Greatest living: Anssi Tikanmäki
Alltime greatest: Anssi Tikanmäki 
Favourite living: Pessi Levanto
Alltime favourite: Pessi Levanto

France

Greatest living: Éric Serra
Alltime greatest: Georges Delerue
Favourite living: Éric Serra
Alltime favourite: Georges Delerue

Georgia

Germany

Greatest living: Hans Zimmer
Alltime greatest: Hans Zimmer (you came close, Franz Waxman, Harold Faltemeyer and Tangerine Dream!)
Favourite living: Hans Zimmer
Alltime favourite: Hans Zimmer

Greece

Greatest living: Eleni Karaindrou
Alltime greatest: Vangelis
Favourite living: Eleni Karaindrou
Alltime favourite: Vangelis

Hungary

Greatest living: Sylvester Levay
Alltime greatest: Miklos Rozsa
Favourite living: Sylvester Levay
Alltime favourite: Miklos Rozsa

Iceland

Greatest living: Hildur Guðnadóttir
Alltime greatest: Jóhann Jóhannsson
Favourite living: Atli Örvarsson
Alltime favourite: Jóhann Jóhannsson

Ireland

Greatest living: Enya
Alltime greatest: Enya (you came close, Paddy Maloney and The Chieftains!)
Favourite living: Enya (if she doesn’t count due to her few film scores, I pick Stephen McKeon)
Alltime favourite: Enya

Italy

Greatest living: Giorgio Moroder
Alltime greatest: Ennio Morricone
Favourite living: Giorgio Moroder
Alltime favourite: Giorgio Moroder

Kazakhstan

Latvia

Greatest living: Lolita Ritmanis
Alltime greatest: Raimonds Pauls

Liechtenstein

Lithuania

Luxembourg

Malta

Moldova

Monaco

Montenegro

Netherlands

Greatest living: Tom Holkenborg
Alltime greatest: Henry Vrienten
Favourite living: Tom Holkenborg
Alltime favourite: Tom Holkenborg

North Macedonia

Norway

Greatest living: Knut Avenstroup Haugen
Alltime greatest: Geir Bøhren & Bent Åserud
Favourite living: Geir Bøhren & Bent Åserud
Alltime favourite: Geir Bøhren & Bent Åserud

Poland

Greatest living: Zbigniew Preisner
Alltime greatest: Zbigniew Preisner
Favourite living: Zbigniew Preisner
Alltime favourite: Zbigniew Preisner

Portugal

Greatest living: Nuno Malo
Favourite living: Nuno Malo

Romania

Greatest living: Vladimir Cosma
Alltime greatest: Vladimir Cosma
Favourite living: Vladimir Cosma
Alltime favourite: Vladimir Cosma

Russia

Greatest living: Aleksandr Sergeyevich Zatsepin
Alltime greatest: Sergei Prokofiev (you came close, Dimitri Shostakovich!)
Favourite living: Daniel Deluxe
Alltime favourite: Eduard Artemiev

San Marino

Serbia

Slovakia

Slovenia

Spain

Greatest living: Alberto Iglesias
Alltime greatest: Alberto Iglesias
Favourite living: Angel Illaramendi
Alltime favourite: Angel Illaremendi

Sweden

Greatest living: Johan Söderqvist (nope, Ludwig Göransson, no soup for you!)
Alltime greatest: Stefan Nilsson
Favourite living: Johan Söderqvist
Alltime favourite: Stefan Nilsson

Switzerland

Greatest living: The Baldenwegs
Favourite living: The Baldenwegs

Turkey

Greatest living: Pinar Toprak

Ukraine

Alltime greatest: Dimitri Tiomkin
Alltime favourite: Dimitri Tiomkin

United Kingdom

Greatest living: David Arnold
Alltime greatest: Ralph Vaughan Williams (you came close, John Barry!)
Favourite living: David Arnold
Alltime favourite: Ralph Vaughan Williams 

Vatican City

19 minutes ago, Thor said:

Austria: Paul Haslinger (Alltime: Erich Wolfgang Korngold)

How does Korngold count as an Austrian film composer in the all time section when he never wrote a film score for an Austrian (or even European) film?

6 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

How does Korngold count as an Austrian film composer in the all time section when he never wrote a film score for an Austrian (or even European) film?

As I mentioned, the criterion of "primarily living and working in Europe" does not apply to the alltime picks. Same for Korngold or Zimmer. In those cases, it's the international legacy that counts. I had to eschew Waxman for Zimmer for "Alltime Germany", that was a bit strange too, but somehow fitting.

5 minutes ago, Thor said:

As I mentioned, the criterion of "primarily living and working in Europe" does not apply to the alltime picks. Same for Korngold or Zimmer. In those cases, it's the international legacy that counts.

I understand that, as long as the composer in question was at some time a film composer working in Europe (i.e. was at a given point in time qualified for the other category). But truthfully Korngold was never a "European film composer".

Anyway, I don't have much to contribute - my knowledge of living European film composers is very slim.

Spain has been the birthplace of a lot of great composers over the past few years. I'm partial to Fernando Velázquez (especially The Impossible and A Monster Calls) and Roque Baños (Evil Dead is so much fun).

3 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I understand that, as long as the composer in question was at some time a film composer working in Europe (i.e. was at a given point in time qualified for the other category). But truthfully Korngold was never a "European film composer".

Sure, but that's not what the "Alltime" mention is for. It's about their origin, and what career in film music they subsequently had, regardless of where. Look at Vladimir Cosma. He had no film music career to speak of in his birth place Romania, it was mostly in France. But Romania gets to have the 'credit' here. So two things going on here -- one an attempt to find who the most prominent or "best" living film composer is, who primarily lives and works in Europe. And two, an attempt to mention the alltime greatest film composer who ever came from the country in question.

For me best living italian composer is Dario Marianelli. And best living French one Philippe Rombi. 

For German all time I would vote for Martin Böttcher and living Christian Bruhn.

And I would value Michael Nyman's contribution to british film music and film music in general higher than David Arnold's.

For all time British I am between John Barry and Bernard Hermann. 

I think Abel Korzeniowski could be a good choice for Poland, but I only know his works for Hollywood movies and shows (Penny Dreadful, W.E., Romeo & Juliet, Nocturnal Animals, etc).

Speaking about Poland, videogame Cyberpunk 2077 was created by a Polish studio and had two Polish composers (P. T. Adamczyk, Marcin Przybyłowicz) and one from Scotland (Paul Leonard-Morgan). I liked the score in context, but I don't think it's the kind of score I'd listen on my own.

Very interesting exercise, Thor! My participation will be woefully incompetent, sadly, because I’m unfamiliar with almost all the names you listed.

At the very least, it’s a useful reminder that there’s a whole world of composing talent outside of the Hollywood system, or at least beyond the household names in that system (assuming the household in question is made up of film score nerds). Looks like I have a lot of listening and learning to do. 

2 hours ago, Thor said:

(Alltime: Karel Svoboda)

Yes!!!

By the way, you changed your pick for Italy to Giorgio Moroder. And before I was already about to ask, why you didn't pick him. :)

@Thor Another question. You really pick Faltermayer over Tangerine Dream?

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Love his score for Three Nuts, but other than that I'm not very familiar with his output. Do you have any recommendations?

Among German-speaking kids of the 70s and 80s, Svoboda is most familiar for his music for animated kids series - probably this one more than anything else (sung by the other Czech Karel, Karel Gott):

France: Jean-Claude Petit 

PS: I shouldn't participate in this thread because I don't know most of the other film composers but Jean-Claude Petit seems capable.

Austria: Erich Wolfgang Korngold (although he's the only one I know)

France: Philippe Rombi (Alltime: Alexandre Desplat)

Germany: Hans Zimmer (Alltime: Hans Zimmer, honorable mention to Max Richter)

Greece: Vangelis (although he's the only one I know)

Iceland: Hildur Gudnadottir (Alltime: Jóhan Jóhannsson)

Italy: Ludovico Einaudi (Alltime: Ennio Morricone)

Latvia: Lolita Ritmanis (Alltime: Lolita Ritmanis although she's the only one I know)

Netherlands: Tom Holkenborg (although he's the only one I know)

Spain: Fernando Velazquez

Ukraine: Dimitri Tiomkin (although he's the only one I know)

United Kingdom: David Arnold (Alltime: David Arnold, honorable mention to John Barry)

I'm not too familiar with European composers of the 20th century. Mostly Delerue, Korngold and the likes.

At the moment some of my favorite comppsers of the last few years or up and coming or "newer" composers are:

Roque Baños (Spain)

Fernando Velazquez (Spain)

Mathieu Lamboley (France)

Philippe Rombi (France)

Panu Aaltio (Finland)

Anne-Kathrin Dern (Germany)

Guillaume Roussel (France)

Gaute Storaas (Norway)

Matthijs Kiebom (Netherlands)

Interesting thread, @Thor !

For the greatest Italian living film composer, I would suggest to consider Franco Piersanti. 

20 hours ago, Thor said:

Russia: Daniel Deluxe (Alltime: Eduard Artemiev) <-- Sorry, Dimitri S. and Sergei, but you are not primarily film composers!

Since Dimitri wrote 36 film scores (against, e.g., 22 by Korngold, or 18 by Khachaturian), I would argue that he should be counted! 

I think the UK should be split into its constituent nations so Patrick Doyle gets a mention... no point having a weird arse constitutional makeup if you can't use it to your advantage sometimes.*

*Live from a Crown British Dependency from whom we have no famous (or completely non-famous) film composers.

On 20/10/2023 at 6:58 PM, GerateWohl said:

By the way, you changed your pick for Italy to Giorgio Moroder. And before I was already about to ask, why you didn't pick him. :)

I did. I kinda broke my own rules on some names. After all, Moroder had a lot of his biggest successes in the US, but he's had enough in Europe to qualify nonetheless (at the very least co-productions, like THE NEVERENDING STORY), and - AFAIK - has lived here permanently for many years.

On 20/10/2023 at 6:58 PM, GerateWohl said:

@Thor Another question. You really pick Faltermayer over Tangerine Dream?

As far as I'm concerned, Tangerine Dream "died" with Edgar Froese a few years ago. The current band holding the name doesn't really qualify. They were certainly a contender for alltime, though, alongside Waxman, but Zimmer beats them.

By the way, I considered Luboš Fišer and Jan Klusák for alltime Czech, but realized Svoboda is probably the one with the greatest international exposure of those. Also, I could make a case for Hammer himself also being the alltime greatest. Tricky, tricky....

OK, so I've taken the criticism to heart (mostly at FSM).

It was rough going, but I've decided to omit the criterion about the composer having to primarily live and work in Europe. So Hans Zimmer qualifies, and that automatically means he's the greatest living European composer, ahead of Zbigniew Preisner.

Also, I've separated each country into the following categories:

Greatest living
Alltime greatest
Favourite living
Alltime favourite

The first two have to do with a more objective evaluation, the original genesis of this thread, the latter two about my own personal favourites.

Obviously, I will keep updating this thread as I explore new territories. There are a LOT of question marks here, for certain countries.

It's Wim Mertens, not Wim Wertens.

This differentiation between your personal favourites and the "objective" rating makes no sense to me.  In the end it is in each case your personal evaluation. So, there is hardly anything objective about this list anyway.

38 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

It's Wim Mertens, not Wim Wertens.

This differentiation between your personal favourites and the "objective" rating makes no sense to me.  In the end it is in each case your personal evaluation. So, there is hardly anything objective about this list anyway.

Thanks for the correction.

It's not so strange. One can assess a composer's international exposure  and position in culture history -- his or her success. That's fairly objective. For example, there's no denying Alberto Iglesias' position as (arguably) the greatest Spanish film composer who ever lived. Yet, he's never been a particular favourite of mine (even if I've met him). Angel Illaremendi supersedes him on a subjective level. So it makes sense to make that distinction.

On 22/10/2023 at 12:26 PM, Thor said:

As far as I'm concerned, Tangerine Dream "died" with Edgar Froese a few years ago. The current band holding the name doesn't really qualify. 

Agreed, Thor; It's no more than a tribute band, nowadays.

16 hours ago, Thor said:

Thanks for the correction.

It's not so strange. One can assess a composer's international exposure  and position in culture history -- his or her success. That's fairly objective. For example, there's no denying Alberto Iglesias' position as (arguably) the greatest Spanish film composer who ever lived. Yet, he's never been a particular favourite of mine (even if I've met him). Angel Illaremendi supersedes him on a subjective level. So it makes sense to make that distinction.

Ok. So greatest of all time is based on objektive criteria like salary, awards and the other value on personal taste. That makes sense then.

Either way I don't believe that in any measure Jan Hammer can surpass Karel Svoboda. :)

16 hours ago, Thor said:

there's no denying Alberto Iglesias' position as (arguably) the greatest Spanish film composer who ever lived. Yet, he's never been a particular favourite of mine (even if I've met him). Angel Illaremendi supersedes him on a subjective level. So it makes sense to make that distinction.

i have what to me is a funny answer to this that i will skip

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Either way I don't believe that in any measure Jan Hammer can surpass Karel Svoboda. :)

No offense to Karol Svoboda, who had great success not only in his home country, and who I really love, but if it's a toss-up between THREE NUTS FOR CINDERELLA and MIAMI VICE, I think MIAMI VICE wins. I had to think awhile about this one, though, and decided to substitute Svoboda for Hammer in the end, in the "alltime greatest" category. For favourite, Hammer blows Svoboda out of the water anyway.

54 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What about Nuno Malo?

Ah, of course! Thanks for the tip. NO GOD, NO MASTER is great. I even recruited him to sit in a jury once. Shame on me for forgetting. Don't know Portuguese film music history enough to know if he qualifies as alltime greatest, but the other two categories, I can put him in.

1 hour ago, Brónach said:

i have what to me is a funny answer to this that i will skip

I think I know what you mean. The oxymoron of 'there's no denying' and 'arguably'. I was drunk when I wrote that last night, so forgive my transgression. :D

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

No offense to Karol Svoboda, who had great success not only in his home country, and who I really love, but if it's a toss-up between THREE NUTS FOR CINDERELLA and MIAMI VICE, I think MIAMI VICE wins. I had to think awhile about this one, though, and decided to substitute Svoboda for Hammer in the end.

I am not a huge fan of Three Nuts... anyway. But his work for animated series like Wickie, Bee Maja or other fairytale series is for me incomparably fantastic. It is a significant part of the soundtrack of my childhood. And when I revisited it with my kids, even stuff that I hadn't known before, I realized how great his music actually is.

Compared to that Miami Vice doesn't keep up in any way. At least for me.

22 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Compared to that Miami Vice doesn't keep up in any way. At least for me.

That's perfectly fine. But for "alltime greatest", other things come into play, like titles with international exposure. And MIAMI VICE is on a whole other level than any of Svoboda's efforts. But it's perfectly fine to prefer him on a personal level, of course. By the way, do you know if any of the titles you mention have soundtrack releases? I'd be curious to check out more of his work.

12 minutes ago, Thor said:

By the way, do you know if any of the titles you mention have soundtrack releases?

My kids have two CDs with music from Wickie and Bee Maya.

Apart from that I found samplers like this 3 CD Set on Amazon Germany:

https://www.amazon.de/Zlata-Kolekce-Karel-Svoboda/dp/B00GHR5L18/ref=sw_img_mw_m_crc_sbs_reranked_0?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00GHR5L18&pd_rd_w=wjh0t&content-id=amzn1.sym.37d60588-b469-4331-92d9-5f105a382c92&pf_rd_p=37d60588-b469-4331-92d9-5f105a382c92&pf_rd_r=VP1QP7GMQP24N1Y9XECF&pd_rd_wg=5JXbv&pd_rd_r=098638e1-ecb4-4d6a-849b-c5f1ce5c06cf

On 20/10/2023 at 10:59 AM, Thor said:

Poland

Greatest living: Zbigniew Preisner
Alltime greatest: Zbigniew Preisner
Favourite living: Zbigniew Preisner
Alltime favourite: Zbigniew Preisner

I'm not familar with Preisner's music, but of the Polish composers I am familair with - a total of two that I'm aware of....

Greatest living: Jan A. P. Kaczmarek

Alltime: Greatest Wojciech Kilar

Favorite Living: Jan A. P. Kaczmarek

Alltime Favorite: Jan A. P. Kaczmarek

But damn, I just noticed Jan A. P. Kaczmarek's wikipedia has a recent unsourced update: His daughter apparently said he is suffering from multiple system atrophy which is incurable.