HOOK Ultimate Edition - MUSIC Discussion

Jay

I've heard an edit that does exactly that.  It's nice, sort of works as a concert arrangement, especially if you lop off the Cutting The Coconut cue

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I've heard an edit that does exactly that.  It's nice, sort of works as a concert arrangement, especially if you lop off the Cutting The Coconut cue

Are they actually seperate cues?

The track The Neverfeast contains the cue Cornucopia followed by the cue Cutting The Coconut.

Oh, really? So the beginning of the cue, everything pre-food, is also a re-recording? I always assumed they just re-did that little sniplet the moment Peter sees the food.

I'm afraid I don't understand what you are saying.

The OST album track The Neverfeast contains the cue Cornucopia followed by the cue Cutting The Coconut.

The LLL track The Neverfeast (Film Version) contains the cue Cornucopia with an Insert inserted, followed by the cue Cutting The Coconut.

Does that clear things up?

2 hours ago, Jay said:

The OST album track The Neverfeast contains the cue Cornucopia followed by the cue Cutting The Coconut.

The LLL track The Neverfeast (Film Version) contains the cue Cornucopia with an Insert inserted, followed by the cue Cutting The Coconut.

Oh, yes it does, sorry, I was mixing things up. I had forgotten that Cornucopia itself was a cue as well and not just the insert.

There's something I've been thinking about for a long time but I've never really tried. 
But I have the feeling that it would be possible to mix the Lost Boys shouting 'Rufio' on the track 'Enter Rufio'. Sometimes, when I watch the scene, I feel like their shouts could follow or be incorporated into the rhythm of the track. Am I the only one who has this sensation?

On 26/03/2024 at 8:42 PM, Jay said:

Do you know the exact ending point of the Insert? I always thought that it ended when it segues into the original cue material, but now I'm not sure, because I realize the original cue is shortened (I always thought it was a film edit).

1 hour ago, oierem said:

Do you know the exact ending point of the Insert? I always thought that it ended when it segues into the original cue material, but now I'm not sure, because I realize the original cue is shortened (I always thought it was a film edit).

1:11-2:15

Here's the phase-inverted waveform as proof:

Never-Feast Insert.png

(The bit after the end of the insert is faded-in on the track with the insert, that's why there's still visible waveform at that point)

Can you post an audio clip of that? I’m curious to hear it separated from the rest of the cue on its own. I know what it sounds like but by itself would be interesting.

9 minutes ago, Brando said:

Can you post an audio clip of that? I’m curious to hear it separated from the rest of the cue on its own. I know what it sounds like but by itself would be interesting.

Sure, but the as-is edit I did in that screenshot didn't remove the original bit, so that got mixed in with the insert in that version.

Just give me a second...

EDIT: Well, that fade-in back to the original cue is making the track really uncooperative, but here's my best attempt for the time being:

7 hours ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

Sure, but the as-is edit I did in that screenshot didn't remove the original bit, so that got mixed in with the insert in that version.

Just give me a second...

EDIT: Well, that fade-in back to the original cue is making the track really uncooperative, but here's my best attempt for the time being:

So the insert ends at roughly the 2.5ish second mark?

3 hours ago, Brando said:

So the insert ends at roughly the 2.5ish second mark?

Yes. The insert includes both the new music and part of the original cue in a shortened form, until it fades back into the ending of the original cue.

Here's a spectrogram view of the two versions of The Never-Feast included on this incredible set. Perhaps comparing them visually will help to clear up which parts are different and the same between them.

Screenshot 2024-04-01 at 19.53.11.png

Screenshot 2024-04-01 at 19.53.15.png

On 31/3/2024 at 5:48 AM, A. A. Ron said:

Just as @Chewy was able to use reverse phasing to isolate the choral overlay from "The Capture (Alternate)" on the expanded Amistad album, I was able to isolate the 2 bars of choir that were omitted from the album version of "From Mermaids to Lost Boys." Not a substantial piece of music obviously, but still kind of fun to hear as a curiosity.

Could you theoretically achieve a similar thing to isolate the percussion in Pick 'Em Up if you reverse phased it with The Never-Band?

18 hours ago, Trope said:

Could you theoretically achieve a similar thing to isolate the percussion in Pick 'Em Up if you reverse phased it with The Never-Band?

I actually tried to do exactly that with no success. Admittedly, I’m pretty new to the reverse-phasing thing though, so it could be I just never got it lined up exactly right or something. It could also be a different take of Never Band, in which case it wouldn’t be possible.

On 01/04/2024 at 8:57 PM, A. A. Ron said:

I actually tried to do exactly that with no success. Admittedly, I’m pretty new to the reverse-phasing thing though, so it could be I just never got it lined up exactly right or something. It could also be a different take of Never Band, in which case it wouldn’t be possible.

It's not an alternate take, it still phases itself out in Pick 'Em Up:

I'm fairly certain the mixing of the two tracks is slightly different, because there's a noticable ghost of the More Neverband cue left behind no matter how I adjust the gain on it.

There is no natural ending of the Pick Em Up song recording.  It was done as a repeat with a board fade in 1991.

It's definitely the exact same take of "More Never Band" (LLL title "The Never Band") in both tracks - it's not even a performance edit between multiple takes, its just one take.

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

There is no natural ending of the Pick Em Up song recording.  It was done as a repeat with a board fade in 1991.

Was the Pick 'Em Up instrumental recorded as a solid three-minutes of percussion or was it only like a minute or so and looped for the film and LLL 3CD?

That's a good question.  I'm not sure how long the unique recording is before it repeats.  Someone clever can probably figure it out though!

I just thought of this, Jay: How happy are you with the presentation yourself? Would you have preferred anything to be different at all?

I didn't want to answer for him but I remember seeing or hearing him say that he, Mike, and John were very happy with the final presentation after everyone came together to discuss how it should be presented and they all got to share their thoughts on it.

I think the Kensington Extension in the main program is the only change I could think of.

42 minutes ago, Jay said:

For The Lost Boy Chase, I really like the percussion insert section.  But John Williams wanted the album version in the main program.

I haven't had the chance to read the liner notes just yet (I will soon!), but does it explain why this was named "Alternate", why wasn't it named "Film Version"?

The only part of Jay's thoughts above I'd disagree with is presenting the entire 24 minute battle sequence as one track. Each part of that has a unique feel and occasionally there's a part I'm drawn to listening to, and I don't like the idea of navigating within a nearly half hour track to find the bit I want. I think it works great as it is on the set and that once you're approaching anywhere near the 10 minute mark, you've got to be dealing with something like The Quidditch Match where it's obvious the cues were written to segue into each other as one piece of music. I don't get the same sense with this sequence. (and if Williams did intend these cues to form a much longer musical sequence, I don't get that sense as strongly as with HP).

I'd certainly disagree with Williams on his usual insistence on having album versions in the main program, no doubt due to listenability, but at least this set allows things like that to be corrected according to individual wishes. Clearly still some small hurdles to be had with him on the odd occasion, that these sets are intended to showcase the entire score and not retain edits or versions he made for the album. At least he doesn't ask for film versions like that to be omitted entirely.

On 05/04/2024 at 6:38 PM, Brando said:

I haven't had the chance to read the liner notes just yet (I will soon!), but does it explain why this was named "Alternate", why wasn't it named "Film Version"?

I don't even remember having any conversations about the name, but the film version is actually different from what's on the LLL set.

The LLL set debuts Williams intentions for this pick-up take, which was to start isolated but then be mixed over the original cue's pizzacato section.

In the final film dub, they muted the pizzacato strings, letting the pick-up take play clean during that part.

So I guess technically calling it an alternate makes sense.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

I don't even remember having any conversations about the name, but the film version is actually different from what's on the LLL set.

The LLL set debuts Williams intentions for this pick-up take, which was to start isolated but then be mixed over the original cue's pizzacato section.

In the final film dub, they muted the pizzacato strings,letting the pick-up take play clean during that part.

Which means, the actual film version is missing!!! :P

Jokes aside, this is a great set, one of the best ever for sure, both for the awesome music and the presentation.

I do wonder, though, why do so many of you think that the original Banning Back Home is so superior? Not counting the free improv section (which is really fun) I don't really see any objective reason to call it superior to the revised version.

There are fee increases for longer tracks? Wow.

I agree about the prologue. Was there ever any plan to open the album with the version we all knew? It would really, really have been better, in my view. It’s the only jarring album decision for me. Well, it’s more to do with the choice of takes. In the album opening, you clearly hear the piccolo trying to survive their parts. In the original version, you hear the piccolo having a blast.

About the finale, can you comment on why you chose not to replicate the film transition for Crossed Swords? (I think that’s what it’s called, the cue that kind of starts like the Chase in ET.) The film transition is much more musical than the OST/LLL one.

Fully agree on the Kensington paragraph. Part of me really wants the extension in the main program because I think that both that cue and the end credits don’t end on the bang I want them to.

9 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

About the finale, can you comment on why you chose not to replicate the film transition for Crossed Swords? (I think that’s what it’s called, the cue that kind of starts like the Chase in ET.) The film transition is much more musical than the OST/LLL one.

I guess because that’s how the cue was recorded and a shot or so might’ve been removed so they had to make an edit to the music there. 

16 hours ago, Jay said:

In the final film dub, they muted the pizzacato strings,letting the pick-up take play clean during that part.

So both versions are the same takes except for the drum insert, and the film version is different but only because an instrument was muted, kind of like the electric guitar in the Coruscant Chase in AOTC, do I have that right?

17 minutes ago, Brando said:

I guess because that’s how the cue was recorded and a shot or so might’ve been removed so they had to make an edit to the music there. 

No, that's the transition between two cues, we have them in the leak. The film combines them well but OST combined them kind of weirdly and that was also for some rrason replicated in the main program.

22 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Which track are you referring to in this set?

One of the ultimate War cues.

I guess we're talking about the transition at 4:48 in "The Ultimate War (Film Version)"?

I thought it was 2:30? I don't remember all the cue names from the War sequence, there's quite a few.

15 hours ago, oierem said:

I do wonder, though, why do so many of you think that the original Banning Back Home is so superior? Not counting the free improv section (which is really fun) I don't really see any objective reason to call it superior to the revised version.

I definitely like both. But to me, the original flows better. The redo feels a little choppy as it tries to navigate the happenings on the screen. It mostly feels like a chopped-up version of the original. (That being said, I really like the few passages that are unrelated to anything in the original version.)

Ultimately—pun intended—I'm just delighted to have them both complete and with pristine sound quality!

On 06/04/2024 at 6:37 PM, HunterTech said:

So you mean to tell me that this Ultimate Edition is actually missing stuff? :eek2:

No.  The Disc 3 track "The Lost Boys Chase (Alternate)" contains all the music that you hear in the film during that scene. It just ALSO contains MORE music than you can hear in the actual film, due to the film makers silencing a part of the original recording in the final dub.

Ah. I'd honestly written that comment as a joke, since I figured it'd be a bigger deal if something was actually missing. Guess I was right in thinking that emote didn't convey the intent well :lol:.

(The comment after certainly doesn't help, either :pat:.)