John Williams returns to Berlin for three concerts, June 5-7 2025

Jay

19 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I'm curious if his set list will differ at all. It would probably be too much to hope for more Hook, Jane Eyre, Home Alone, Schindler's List etc, but I could do without all the usual marches and stuff at this point. Give me Window to the Past and The Banquet Scene in stead.

Plus To the Oscars, Helena's Theme, and TROS grand suite.

Would make sense from a record selling point of view to add further material.

9 minutes ago, Tom said:

Its all fun and games now, but remember your enthusiasm for this when you read the following blurb next year.  "Due to overseas conducting commitments, Williams had to pass on scoring Spielberg's highly anticipated new UFO movie.  Spielberg admitted that he was disappointed but looks forward to working with Zimmer for the first time."   

And then, a few weeks later, "Lorne Balfe has taken over scoring duties on Spielberg's upcoming UFO movie after Hans Zimmer got abducted by aliens."

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

And then, a few weeks later, "Lorne Balfe has taken over scoring duties on Spielberg's upcoming UFO movie after Hans Zimmer got abducted by aliensJWFans."

Fixed.

I've seen JW in various European and American venues but there was something about the Berlin concert that seemed very special to him. He seemed genuinely privileged to conduct there and really enjoyed the city too. Not surprised he will return.

3 hours ago, BB-8 said:

Just thinking, how is the uniqueness of "The Berlin Concert" being felt about at this point?

Not terribly unique anymore, but one can't complain, really.

The Berlin concerts have been my favourites of his concerts that I’ve attended, so I’m DEFINITELY going! My best friend (and fellow Williams-fanatic) turns 30 on the 5th, so it’s really a no-brainer!

On the one hand the last time I saw my mum she said about going away for a family holiday, to which I said I wasn't interested as my primary goal was saving to get a mortgage and that only after I'd got one would I consider going abroad for a holiday. With her passing away my family have been on two trips abroad both of which I didn't go on because of my focus on saving and this pledge I'd made to my mum the last time I met her. I still haven't got a mortgage yet and so I'm completely torn as Williams hasn't shown any interest in returning to London, that this concert is possibly the last chance I could have to see him perform because honestly how much time does he have left? And so as much as I want to see him I find myself in this incredibly difficult position and hope that before tickets go on sale next year that a performance in London is announced that I can go to instead and that I don't have to break my word. 

I'm sure your mum would want you to do whatever makes you happy.

You'll spend decades paying off a mortgage. But this is probably the last time you'll be able to see JW in Europe.

On 19/04/2024 at 9:37 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Berlin? Twice in... what... two years?

And when was the last time you were in London, Mr. Williams?

I'll tell you: July 4th, 1998 (!). I know, I was there! 

I was there too! So weird to think that he had only written three Star Wars scores at that time and zero Harry Potter scores. And he performed quite a few pieces he rarely performs or hasn't performed in a long time. The Lost World, JFK Suite, Liberty Fanfare, Celebrate Discovery, The Reivers, The Cowboys Overture, Hell's Kitchen, Tuba Concerto, the spooky river piece from the Born on the 4th of July suite plus the main theme, and The Asteroid Field. And I think it's been a while since he's conducted The Witches of Eastwick.And the Far and Away Suite, it was a while before he performed that again. 

And no Superman or The Imperial March! While I loved the variety, those being my first and only to date concerts conducted by the man himself, I would have liked to have heard those!

Williams sure has a lot of pieces to draw from should he wish to vary future concerts up more. And he's still yet to perform anything from the last Star Wars film. 

Guitarist Joe Satriani varies his setlists each tour and has something of a rule of thumb for the setlists - quite a lot from his most recent album, fan favorites from his career, and a few pieces he hasn't played live in ages or ever. His live albums - four or five - all feature quite a lot of variety except for about 4 or 5 fan favorites. He has quite a large back catalogue now, but well I don't think any living composer who does concerts has a larger body of work to draw upon than Williams.

25 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I'm sure your mum would want you to do whatever makes you happy.

You'll spend decades paying off a mortgage. But this is probably the last time you'll be able to see JW in Europe.

Thank you and you're absolutely right, I know if she were here that she would understand and be supportive of my wanting to go. 

While I still hope a performance in London is announced in the meantime, I might have to at least hope my family understand that one of these performances is something I have to attend. 

9 hours ago, Groovygoth666 said:

...one of these performances is something I have to attend. 

Going to Tanglewood and New York was one thing... They're within easy striking distance from where I live. But Europe?

I've never been there, so is this the impetus I need to finally board a plane and visit?

Hmm...

3 hours ago, BB-8 said:

A heads up that Thu and Fri are part of subscriptions F & M that have already gone on sale!

Subscriptions with the Berliner Philharmoniker (berliner-philharmoniker.de)

image.png

Wait, so that means the coloured seats are the only remaining seats for the Thu concerts?!

But the "subscription" means you're buying a ticket for every show in the category? What a rip!

Screenshot 2024-04-24 000903.png

And if you believe this seating guide, the Friday show is completely sold out?!

image.png

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Wait, so that means the coloured seats are the only remaining seats for the Thu concerts?!

But the "subscription" means you're buying a ticket for every show in the category? What a rip!

Screenshot 2024-04-24 000903.png

And if you believe this seating guide, the Friday show is completely sold out?!

image.png

Take a close look and you will see missing rows and blocks which are probably those seats that will go on sale 23 Feb 2025.

Odd though that subscription M is already "booked out".

Perhaps the system is clogged up by old, rich and/or lazy Friday-night concert goers who "forgot" to cancel their previous subscription in time?

image.png

On 19/04/2024 at 11:16 PM, Nemesis said:

I hope it is easier to get tickets for the Berlin concerts than the Milan concerts.

Definitely easier than for Japan.

7 hours ago, BB-8 said:
On 20/04/2024 at 12:37 AM, Caleb Y. said:

The Maestro is back in town!

I hope you will be too!

We are already trying... ;)

(@GlastoEls knows)

...wait, Caleb Y.?

Who conducted Raiders in Dublin for all three of us and many other excited visitors last Halloween? 😮

Amazing.

Thanks for that spot-on performance, Mr. Young, especially the nice additional intermission piece from Skull (didn't know about that) and the end credits rendition - more rousing in tempo and spirit than the original LSO film version, I felt.

:)

7 hours ago, BB-8 said:

I hope you will be too!

Bells up and molto ritardando!

Oh God, yes, ritardando whenever possible! Schindler's List theme possibilities are endless, to name just one.

May we utter a new hope for getting TROS this time he's in town?

9 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Oh God, yes, ritardando whenever possible! Schindler's List theme possibilities are endless, to name just one.

Yeah, and molto religioso, now that you have said God twice.