LLL Announces: TORN CURTAIN-EXPANDED & REMASTERED (John Addison and Bernard Herrmann) May 7th Release

Wow very cool!

Surely a Mike Matessino-produced entry into the Universal Classics line!

3 minutes ago, jacksparrow900 said:

I believe this is also the first time Bernard Herrmann's score for Torn Curtain being released not a rerecording like before. 

john-williams-thats-right.gif

Elmer Bernstein recorded it with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra in 1977 and Joel McNeely recorded it with the National Philharmonic Orchestra in 1998

Original recording has never been released before

I have the Varese OST of Addison's Torn Curtain score and I have to say, there is not really music that I am missing that would justify an expansion and the sound is ok. The only thing, that annoys me, is that the Love Theme track is faded out instead of having a proper ending. Would be great if the expansion would have the actual ending of the track.

Apart from that, the score is really great. 

The Herrmann score on the other hand never did much for me. But for sure it is interesting to hear Herrmann's own recording. 

But for everyone who doesn't know the score yet big recommendation.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Elmer Bernstein recorded it with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra in 1977 and Joel McNeely recorded it with the National Philharmonic Orchestra in 1998

Just about 3 cues were released on CD compilation before.

Prelude (TORN CURTAIN)
Bernard Herrmann (previously unreleased)

The Ship (TORN CURTAIN)
Bernard Herrmann (Previously unreleased)

The radiogram (TORN CURTAIN)

CD on HIP O RECORDS:

ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS: SIGNATURES IN SUSPENSE (1999)

https://www.soundtrackcollector.com/title/6335/Torn+Curtain

25 minutes ago, Amer said:

Just about 3 cues were released on CD compilation before.

Prelude (TORN CURTAIN)
Bernard Herrmann (previously unreleased)

The Ship (TORN CURTAIN)

The radiogram (TORN CURTAIN)

CD on HIP O RECORDS:

ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS: SIGNATURES IN SUSPENSE (1999)

https://www.soundtrackcollector.com/title/6335/Torn+Curtain

Oh yeah I have that album! But this will be an instant buy (along with the recent slew of Intrada stuff). I like Addison’s score, it’s fun and the main theme is memorable. I like Herrmann’s original too of course but it’s pretty grim stuff which likely would have made the film a whole lot darker.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The Elmer version has less music but isn’t missing anything critical and is probably the best “album presentation” of Herrmann’s score, well performed in great sound. The McNeely one is perhaps one of the most infamous new recordings of a score, notorious (oops, wrong Hitchcock film…) for its muddy sound. Sadly hard to provide much of a provide much of a robust defence as it doesn’t do the music or (perfectly decent) performance any favours. I don’t think it could even be saved with a remix as the reverb is inherent in the recording. Of course the original tracks will be dry as a bone…

LLL and Quartet are the two best labels, no question about it.

3 hours ago, Amer said:

3 cues were released on CD compilation before

I forgot!

This is a score where I'd be casually interested in noting the stylistic differences between the scores, i,e. checking out the samples.

I can't remember all the circumstances around the rejection, but iirc Hitchcock wanted a more modern 'pop' score and Herrmann disagreed and just wrote what he wanted to, and found out the hard way that film scoring needs collaboration.

Yes, "Mancini-like" is what I believe was thrown around, after which Herrmann said "then why don't you hire Mancini?" or some such thing. I'm paraphrasing.

The Addison is fine enough, but not something that I feel an urge to return to all the time. Sampled the rerecording of Herrmann's rejected score years ago, but didn't make much of an impact then. I'd be willing to reevaluate.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Wow very cool!

Surely a Mike Matessino-produced entry into the Universal Classics line!

Maybe, but the Universal Music Group-owned original Addison soundtrack album might likely mean it’s not in that line. All of those so far have been premiere releases without the complication of original album rights. The only exceptions were Two Mules for Sister Sara and Topaz, where there wasn’t a perpetuity situation on the album rights.

Still, almost certainly Matessino-produced even if not technically in that “line”.

Yavar

I guess it's time for me to watch the film. My Hitchcock-knowledge is rather limited. I've only seen Psycho, North by Northwest, The Birds, The Trouble with Harry, Family Plot (because of the JW score), the beginning of Vertigo, the beginning of Lifeboat, the first third of Spellbound (because of the Miklós Rózsa score), the first ten minutes of Rear Window, the first five minutes of Topaz. 

So far Psycho was my favourite, somehow I never really connected with Hitch's films. 

Seems like you're mainly familiar with later Hitchcock. Maybe you'd like his earlier stuff better (the Warner Bros. held stuff rather than the Universal held stuff). I for one really loved Stage Fright, on the WB set. I do highly recommend you watch all of Rear Window and Vertigo (the latter has its problems but it's *so* great visually). I think Hitchcock's most perfect film might be Notorious.

Topaz has one excellent sequence but otherwise I really don't care for much. It might tie with Shadow of a Doubt as my least favorite Hitchcock. I also really don't care for Spellbound. Lifeboat is pretty good but after the opening great Friedhofer cue, no score at all! I also enjoy Foreign Correspondent, Saboteur, The 39 Steps, and The Lady Vanishes. To Catch a Thief is fun but very lightweight.

I would say I'm a fan of Hitchcock and even in his very worst films there is *some* element I like, however small. But he's much more hit or miss for me than say Billy Wilder. And Billy Wilder is more hit or miss for me than say Akira Kurosawa.

Yavar

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Yes, "Mancini-like" is what I believe was thrown around, after which Herrmann said "then why don't you hire Mancini?" or some such thing. I'm paraphrasing.

The Addison is fine enough, but not something that I feel an urge to return to all the time. Sampled the rerecording of Herrmann's rejected score years ago, but didn't make much of an impact then. I'd be willing to reevaluate.

Wasn't it

"if you want "that kind of crap" (score to Laura) go hire Raksin"?

Or am I mixing it up with some other Herrmann anecdote :lol:

No, I think it was Mancini. But I wouldn't be surprised if he said something like that in another setting. Sounds like him. :)

35 minutes ago, JTN said:

I guess it's time for me to watch the film. My Hitchcock-knowledge is rather limited. I've only seen Psycho, North by Northwest, The Birds, The Trouble with Harry, Family Plot (because of the JW score), the beginning of Vertigo, the beginning of Lifeboat, the first third of Spellbound (because of the Miklós Rózsa score), the first ten minutes of Rear Window, the first five minutes of Topaz. 

So far Psycho was my favourite, somehow I never really connected with Hitch's films. 

You really need to watch REBECCA.

I’m planning to.

10 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Lifeboat is pretty good but after the opening great Friedhofer cue, no score at all!

According to Hitchcock the orchestra wouldn’t fit in the boat with the passengers.

18 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I think Hitchcock's most perfect film might be Notorious.

The one that so worried the German dubbers that they turned the Nazis into cocaine smugglers…

I keep confusing it with that Suspicion, also with Cary Grant (the one with the glass of milk that had a light bulb in it while shooting). I loved that, but haven't seen it in 20+ years.

One of the best earlier-ish ones (based on only one viewing so far) is Shadow of a Doubt.

3 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

The one that so worried the German dubbers that they turned the Nazis into cocaine smugglers…

I keep confusing it with that Suspicion, also with Cary Grant (the one with the glass of milk that had a light bulb in it while shooting). I loved that, but haven't seen it in 20+ years.

One of the best earlier-ish ones (based on only one viewing so far) is Shadow of a Doubt.

Shadow of a Doubt is amazing.

Karol

Still no newsletter email for me :(

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Still no newsletter email for me :(

Do you want mine?