The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

3 minutes ago, TBO1711 said:

I also forgot to say the chances of the specials and Series 14 being released on DVD because of Disney+ are more likely than Murrary Gold releasing the soundtracks for them

At the risk of being more serious than you were being, Disney (Iger) has said that abandoning physical media has been a mistake.

I'm sure Gold will do releases for the specials and S14. I reckon he didn't do 10 as he had moved on from Who and just forgot he hadn't made an album.

Maybe 10 will come as a bit of marketing for the new episodes.

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

why the fucking fuck would anyone fucking think there's ever been a fucking problem with fucking swearing on this fucking forum?

I'd be in real big trouble any time Doug assembles a score I care about

Well that's pretty damn good news overall. I will personally treasure what Akinola gave us as a little breather from Gold, but here's to a fresh new series!

Annoyingly I never picked up the series 9 set physically and it's now totally OOP so that will remain my missing one. I still don't remember a lot of material from series 10 but it's fantastic that it will finally come out.

On 27/04/2023 at 8:59 PM, Tom Guernsey said:

I’d lay money on you getting enough recommendations that you get someone suggesting every release to be honest… 

I'd advise against just getting every release actually. The two disc sets (5 onwards) are more generous with music but break the curated album he did so well for the first three.

I think by series 8/9 I was starting to tire a bit of Gold's wall-to-wall orchestral approach, and series 6 is an odd one - I didn't like the series, story-wise, and the score similarly failed to excite me.

I think series 3 and 4 are the best for an introduction, and a textbook example of making suites. The first one is a little unstructured and still finding its feet, but still good.

Series 3 has this absolute masterpiece from the Christmas special:

And series four has this suite from its Xmas special:

I will also say 3 and 4. And then find a bunch of good stuff from 5-9. There is a bunch of good stuff in 5-9. There is also a lot of other stuff in 5-9. It's not BAD. It's just, you know.

But almost everything in 3 and 4 is perfect. And it's RTD so it has SONGS!

51 minutes ago, TBO1711 said:

Oswin Pond can tell me where in the article it says Murray Gold is releasing Series 10 soundtrack

The purple inset on the last image with Capaldi in it

52 minutes ago, TBO1711 said:

Oswin Pond can tell me where in the article it says Murray Gold is releasing Series 10 soundtrack

It's the part in the bottom left of the 5th page that says TEN COMMANDMENT

Surprised to not see more love for Series 1+2, some of the music really came to life and showed how great the compositions were once they were orchestrated

I adore this sweeping operatic piece in particular, lots of vivid memories of when this played: 

The S1/2 album has a lot of good stuff but is a bit uneven - and as much as I like Neil Hannon (and The Divine Comedy), the songs don’t really feel of-a-piece with the rest of the music on the thing.

Indeed. There's also the fact that the entirety of series 1's score was all orchestral samples - it wasn't until The Christmas Invasion that a live orchestra was used. The tracks from series 1 on the soundtrack were all re-recorded with the orchestra.

8 hours ago, mstrox said:

The S1/2 album has a lot of good stuff but is a bit uneven - and as much as I like Neil Hannon (and The Divine Comedy), the songs don’t really feel of-a-piece with the rest of the music on the thing.

Those two songs were performed at the 'celebration' in Cardiff years ago and for me they stuck out like a sore thumb as just dull and unmemorable amongst Gold's score. I wonder if they were added to the album for marketing given that Gold was basically unknown at that point.

Although I do like the two series 3 songs, and of course the one from A Christmas Carol.

The first album is also highly unrepresentative given that it's 75 minutes representing two series, although I'm not sure hearing the actual show synth recordings would be a paricularly interesting experience.

Ah ... where would Doctor Who promo pics, soundtrack covers etc. be without the 'Doctor and companion run away from explosion or energy surge/the Doctor reaches out in some mystically meaningful way' poses?  

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Those two songs were performed at the 'celebration' in Cardiff years ago and for me they stuck out like a sore thumb as just dull and unmemorable amongst Gold's score. I wonder if they were added to the album for marketing given that Gold was basically unknown at that point.

Although I do like the two series 3 songs, and of course the one from A Christmas Carol.

The first album is also highly unrepresentative given that it's 75 minutes representing two series, although I'm not sure hearing the actual show synth recordings would be a paricularly interesting experience.

Song for Ten is a legitimate winner, and I’d recommend anyone dive into The Divine Comedy - maybe the album Absent Friends or Foreverland as a starter.  As part of an orchestral film music album, it’s just kinda out there and retailing, even in something that can be as eclectic as Doctor Who.

6 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Song for Ten is a legitimate winner, and I’d recommend anyone dive into The Divine Comedy - maybe the album Absent Friends or Foreverland as a starter.  As part of an orchestral film music album, it’s just kinda out there and retailing, even in something that can be as eclectic as Doctor Who.

I thought the songs were written by Murray Gold and Neil Hannon just sang them? I always thought they were quite fun and part of the general over the topness of the music so didn’t really begrudge their inclusion. One of them was sung by someone else in the show itself from what I recall.

However seconded on exploring The Divine Comedy. Easily my favourite band/songwriter and all their albums are worth a listen to a greater or lesser extent. To the two recommendations I would add Promenade and A Short Album About Love. Failing that you could worse than their recent best of, Charmed Life, which includes The Best Mistakes which in any sane world would be a huge hit. Sadly that world is less than sane.

My only exposure to Divine Comedy is they did the main theme to Father Ted.

I just checked the liners and one was used in the 2005 Xmas special, and the other in the 2006 special. I'm not sure I've ever played them in full - I probably just played a few seconds and established that they weren't clicking with me.

On 27/04/2023 at 7:22 PM, Docteur Qui said:

I'd say series 5 is his best work. Stylistically speaking it's more cohesive, with a definite fairytale approach reflecting the narrative writing, and the album selection is pretty great and not overly padded out like later ones. It's obvious he was very inspired by the new direction of the show. I'm also a big fan of the Raiders-inspired material for the two-part finale. Personally I'm neither here nor there about his theme for Eleven (I Am the Doctor), but the other theme for the Doctor he introduced in that series is absolutely exquisite, and one of my all time favourites:

Thanks for sharing that DWM article, @Oswin Pond! What an absolute treat to read. It's clear that just about everyone is stoked about his return. I don't know what I'm more excited for - the return of some of his great themes or the new material and style he's bringing to Ncuti.

I completely agree, series 5 is among is best work. Although for me Series 4, 7 and 9 are up there too. 7 and 4 have probably the best albums, almost every single track is a banger, and series 9 is pretty cool but then you reach Heaven Sent and it's just one of the best soundtrack ever composed period. 

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

his costume is part of his identity

I remember in The Leisure Hive when it became a "costume". Or even a "uniform".

In nuWho Tennant and Capaldi had a look and changed clothes around in that space. Eccleston, Smith, and Whittaker were a lot more rigid in what they wore.

49 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

The line in THUNDERBALL where 007 says "His wife's probably lost her dog", was redubbed.

Bond actually says: "The Daleks have taken over".

I... can't tell if you're serious or not?

I saw a YouTube doc. about how the man who co-wrote the THUNDERBALL screenplay - one John Hopkins - added some pop culture references, and one of them was about The Daleks. If you turn the sound off, you can see him say it, in the same way that you can clearly see Sean Young say: "Of course not".