Lost

Mr. Breathmask

And since everybody so far failed to mention it: Nestor Carbonell is cool.

Yes. I never quite understood why his character was so popular. But now I even like him. But it's actually the first time he got some strong material to work with, as an actor.

Karol

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. I never quite understood why his character was so popular. But now I even like him. But it's actually the first time he got some strong material to work with, as an actor.

Well, it's the first time he got some strong material to work with that's dramatic and human and touching. He's had strong material before - he did a fantastic job slowly becoming an important presence in the show, very mysterious and compelling from the start. He did an especially fantastic job toward the end of season 3 (e.g. "The Man Behind the Curtain", the first time his agelessness was alluded to and then shown) and when the Losties were dealing with him in 1953 in "Jughead." He has a way of being both likable and frightening. Or at least he had a way...he's pretty much been a wuss this season. Which continued in this week's episode, but not in a bad way - as you said, it was very strong material to work with.

One possible discrepancy I thought of was this: when young Ben ran into Richard in "The Man Behind the Curtain", Richard seemed intrigued by Ben having seen his mother in the jungle. Seemed to make Ben promising in Richard's eyes. But didn't he already have some sense that apparitions of dead people on the Island shouldn't be trusted, after all the stuff that happened this week? But oh well...can't get EVERYTHING totally perfect.

Seemed to make Ben promising in Richard's eyes. But didn't he already have some sense that apparitions of dead people on the Island shouldn't be trusted, after all the stuff that happened this week?

I think you're over thinking it.

Ever considered that that's the only other person he's ever met that has had a similar experience to him? As in "OMG YOU TOO?!"

:lol:

Doubt it...considering how much weird stuff happened just in September through December of 2004, I highly doubt Richard spent a century on the Island without seeing anything out of the ordinary.

I liked the episode a lot. Even though it was complete Richard-centric (I guess that last scene was the only one without him in it), I enjoyed the new info we got about Jacob and the MIB more than Richard's backstory. Not that I didn't like Richard's backstory as well, but the Jacob/MIB stuff just did more for me.

So if we believe Jacob, the MIB believes that everyone can be corrupted because it is in their nature to be bad.... and Jacob has been bringing people to the island over and over again to prove him wrong. Since every single person eventually dies, that kind of makes Jacob look like a dick who doesn't care about the lives of people just to prove his point..... unless we also believe him about the MIB being evil incarnate and there is more at stake in the games they are playing, I dunno.

One thing bothered me that I will let the lostpedia entry point out:

The subtitle at the beginning of Richard's flashback places the events in 1867, yet the Black Rock was thought to be lost at sea following its departure from Portsmouth, England, March 22, 1845 ("The Constant") and the ledger was discovered in 1852.

that date makes no sense as everything from the ship to the costuming seems to look much older. It is rather bizarre that Ricardo would refer to the destination as the New World rather than America in that time period.

As for being so far inland all it would take is a massive wave surge, anybody who lived through Katrina in Mississippi saw boats miles from the waters edge after the storm.

Oh, I forgot one major part about the most recent podcast.

They did their usual banter where they ask each other a question, and Lindelof said there's a good chance Jacob will cook up another one of those storms. Add that to their previous clue about the finale: lots of water, and you've got yourself an idea of the magnitude of events that are to occur.

So the island has made at least one major jump since Richard arrived. Because going from the Canary Islands to the New World sure doesn't take you across the Pacific Ocean!

i'm sure between 1867 and 2007 the island jumped more than a few times :lol:

Yes. Probably not new information anyway. The marks on Eloise Hawking's map in the Lamp Post were all over the place.

Oh, I figured out if I start rewatching the series with roughly two episodes a day tomorrow, I'll be finished just in time for the series finale. Anyone care to join? :P

Karol

It's the Boba Fett syndrome.

WOW you just compared a genuinely intriguing character to a random pile of dog crap on someone's lawn that gets flushed down a massive desert toilet.

Karol

It's the Boba Fett syndrome.

I liked the episode a lot. Even though it was complete Richard-centric (I guess that last scene was the only one without him in it), I enjoyed the new info we got about Jacob and the MIB more than Richard's backstory. Not that I didn't like Richard's backstory as well, but the Jacob/MIB stuff just did more for me.

So if we believe Jacob, the MIB believes that everyone can be corrupted because it is in their nature to be bad.... and Jacob has been bringing people to the island over and over again to prove him wrong. Since every single person eventually dies, that kind of makes Jacob look like a dick who doesn't care about the lives of people just to prove his point..... unless we also believe him about the MIB being evil incarnate and there is more at stake in the games they are playing, I dunno.

One thing bothered me that I will let the lostpedia entry point out:

The subtitle at the beginning of Richard's flashback places the events in 1867, yet the Black Rock was thought to be lost at sea following its departure from Portsmouth, England, March 22, 1845 ("The Constant") and the ledger was discovered in 1852.

that date makes no sense as everything from the ship to the costuming seems to look much older. It is rather bizarre that Ricardo would refer to the destination as the New World rather than America in that time period.

As for being so far inland all it would take is a massive wave surge, anybody who lived through Katrina in Mississippi saw boats miles from the waters edge after the storm.

I seem to remember Farraday talking about some weird time effects regarding the Island.

They may just change the date on the DVD and Blu-ray to 1845.

They went back and changed Desmond and Penny's picture.

The original picture had a different actress.

Just been shown over here - what an engrossing episode, easily best of the season so far. The guy who plays Richard has an award waiting for him for that performance, and Giacchino's music... wow. If ever there was cause to release a complete episode score, that was it.

I disagree about your last comment. As a listening experience, that would be one of the worst complete episode scores, simply because it's so repetitive, even though there was SOO much good material in it.

I forgot to mention that Nestor Carbonell did a really great job of acting in Spanish (and with the Spanish accent). I mean, I don't really speak any Spanish, but to my uneducated ear, it seemed very heartfelt and convincing.

I forgot to mention that Nestor Carbonell did a really great job of acting in Spanish (and with the Spanish accent). I mean, I don't really speak any Spanish, but to my uneducated ear, it seemed very heartfelt and convincing.

That's probably because he's Cuban and can speak Spanish fluently.

I always get a kick out of Lost episodes that are heavily in a foreign language and subtitled, because it's just something you don't see very often on network TV. It's part of the reason why "Ab Aeterno" felt so cinematic.

Yep. It got a little old with the Korean, but I thought Carbonell did a really fantastic job of keeping it...I dunno, it just worked for me.

EDIT: And I can't get his theme out of my head now! Just re-watched the episode. It bothers me a little that he acts soooo different as 19th-century Richard, but then again, people's behaviors do change over time.

Of course he'd act differently; the Richard we're used to is immortal, wise and (until a few weeks ago) knew his place in life. Ricardo was a desperate man, suffering and guilt-ridden with no idea how to interpret the circumstances he was in. Jacob's "gift" was more than just life - it was also purpose and knowledge. That's why Richard went bananas after Jacob died. He became lost again (pardon the pun) which is why his backstory fit in so well now as opposed to two years ago when everyone was demanding it.

That kind of intelligent writing is why I love this show.

As a Spainiard, I strongly disagree. Having him live in Tenerife was a good idea -- not only is there vague evidence of an island that disappeared there a few centuries ago, but the accent spoken there is very close to Carbonell's natural Cuban accent. However, Lost's usually overdramatic dialogue (which is saved by the actors' delivery) spoken in such soap-operaish South American intonation and emphasis (and all in a plot which involved impoverished farmers, elitist upper-class priests and catholic guilt) just underlined how borderline waxing certain scenes and plots can be when taken out of their context.

Thank God this case was only noticeable by Spanish people.

I always get a kick out of Lost episodes that are heavily in a foreign language and subtitled, because it's just something you don't see very often on network TV. It's part of the reason why "Ab Aeterno" felt so cinematic.

I've always been extremely disappointed they pulled that Hunt for Red October trick on the Sayid episodes.

Four episodes into the rewatch. Man, that ending to Walkabout is awesome. I still get the shivers when Locke's wheelchair is revealed and that music starts playing.

Also, by far my least favorite thing about the episode was the way it depicts Christianity. That's always been a problem with the show whenever it deals with characters with a background with the church - Eko, Desmond, etc. They exclusively provide a view of Catholicism at its hypocritical, judgmental, unbiblical worst. Of course, there's no shortage of people like that in the world...but it annoys me when they become the sole representatives of all Jesus' modern-day followers in the show.

EDIT: And yes, the ending of "Walkabout" is definitely still shiver-inducing. Brilliantly constructed episode - one of the best of that season.

Four episodes into the rewatch. Man, that ending to Walkabout is awesome. I still get the shivers when Locke's wheelchair is revealed and that music starts playing.

That's probably my favorite moment of the show.

Also, by far my least favorite thing about the episode was the way it depicts Christianity. That's always been a problem with the show whenever it deals with characters with a background with the church - Eko, Desmond, etc. They exclusively provide a view of Catholicism at its hypocritical, judgmental, unbiblical worst. Of course, there's no shortage of people like that in the world...but it annoys me when they become the sole representatives of all Jesus' modern-day followers in the show.

Rose is a Christian if I'm not mistaken (not a Catholic though) and she's certainly good-hearted. And besides, even if Ricardo did meet a bad priest who told him to go to Hell he never abandoned his faith, plus it was essential to his request of eternal life to Jacob.

I disagree about your last comment. As a listening experience, that would be one of the worst complete episode scores, simply because it's so repetitive, even though there was SOO much good material in it.

The music completely grabbed me from the beginning, much more than a typical episode. I was cheering inside every time Richard's theme appeared actually.

Even if not a great *episode* score, there's a suite waiting to be made, which I guarantee will be on the season 6 CD.

I've already ripped the front channels and the quality is good :P

Certainly - as I said, the episode has an insane amount of great music in it. I was just commenting that the precious "listening experience" would suffer because it is SO heavy on Richard's theme.

That's probably my favorite moment of the show.

It's what got me hooked on Lost.

Six episodes in now. Smokie (as the ghost of Christian) has led Jack to the caves, where Adam and Eve are found. One of them carries a pouch with a white and a dark stone. Also, Locke has really been changed by his encounter with the monster. "I looked in to the eye of this island. And what I saw... was beautiful."

Some of this stuff is really cool to watch over. It also reminds you of how much you didn't know. The first Sun flashback turns the character on her head: it goes from the mousy, buttoned up Sun on the beach, to Sun in a stunning evening dress at a fancy party. You never can tell, huh?

It is interesting to go back, but there's just something missing once you know everything (well, almost). I know people have complained about this, but all the weekly mysterious that kept our jaws on the floor were really insignificant and pointless in the long run. Like who cares about the Dharma stations anymore? Or the great cliffhanger of Eko's last words? That's why I hope the end will really takes us back to that first episode with their ace in the hole: Adam and Eve. I can't fathom who they are, but if it's game changing stuff, it'll warrant a complete rewatch and add another level to the show.

I dunno; Eko's final words seem pretty darn relevant, given the current season.

I see what you're saying, though. But in my mind, if the resolutions fail to enhance plot strands like the Dharma stations, it's a problem with the later episodes, not the earlier ones. The earlier ones still have all of the their mystery and wonder and excitement; it's just the payoffs that are lacking.

Theoretically speaking, that is; I'm trying to withhold judgment until the series is over. It looks like (based on the season thus far) at worst, I'm going to be vaguely dissatisfied; and as far as worst-case-scenarios go, that one ain't too bad.

Still hoping for a big rabbit to come shooting out of the hat.

Me too. I have hope...I mean, they've had this finale in mind for a while, so it seems like it must be SOMETHING pretty jaw-dropping. I'm sure some huge twist will come in at the end and leave us all scratching our heads in the most satisfying way.

EDIT: And for your listening enjoyment,

's me playing "Can't Kill Keamy." Sun and Jin's theme should be coming tomorrow morning. EDIT AGAIN:

So I was realizing something this weekend. The season's exactly half-over!

So far we've had the two-hour premiere, followed by 7 one-hour episodes. All we have left are 7 one-hour episodes, followed by the two-hour finale.

What is everyone's thoughts on the season so far, at the exact midway point? What have we learned?

We've learned what the smoke monster is. More about who Jacob and MIB are. More about why MIB wants to leave (but not how he intends to do it). We've learned what brought Richard to the island and basically what he's been up to for the last 140 years. We finally saw the temple, and learned how Jacob has been watching his candidates. We learned what being a candidate means, and that all have died (or are otherwise crossed out) except for 5 of our main characters (Jack, Hurley, Sayid, Sawyer, and a Kwon).

What is left? We need to learn how/when Jacob and MIB were born, how they got to the island, and what this whole cork business means. We need to see how things will all end in the present day - who will win the Jacob VS MIB war? The Ben vs Widmore war? What will happen to the island when the dust settles?

And of course the character arcs. Will Sun and Jin finally reunite? Will Kate settle with Jack or Sawyer or neither? Will Desmond and Penny get to continue to live in peace, un-involved in the island business? What is Sayid now and what is his ultimate fate?

I'm extremely curious to know more about the latest female characters - Ilana and Zoe. They seem to both know a lot about what's going on (and aren't hard on the eyes either). I hope we get both their stories soon (and I hope they aren't killed of like, oh, EVERY female character on the show that isn't Kate Sun or Claire).

When we last saw camp Richard/Hurley/Jack/Sun/Miles/Ilana/Ben they were chilling around a fire talking to Richard. They didn't seem to really have a plan, but F-Locke did talk to Ben in the jungle and told him that they'd be waiting for him on Hydra Island. However, the last we saw camp F-Locke/Sayid/Claire/Kate/Sawyer, they weren't at Hydra Island yet - but Widmore is. And Widmore has the barriers set up to keep out smokey. What will happen there? Is F-Locke going to just waltz over there - even despite what Sawyer told him?

I can't wait to find out!!

*note: One thing I didn't mention at all is the flash sideways stuff. For one, I don't really find it as compelling as the mysteries I've spend 6 years following... and 2 I have no idea what it all means, and don't even want to speculate.. I'm just along for the ride on that one :lol:

From what I've gathered about the rest of the season, the last 6 hours of the show will probably be some of the greatest on television.

Right up there with the 2004 ALCS?

More about why MIB wants to leave (but not how he intends to do it).

He wants to fly away on Ajira 316-- but where to?

From what I've gathered about the rest of the season, the last 6 hours of the show will probably be some of the greatest on television.

Right up there with the 2004 ALCS?

What is that, please?

The 2004 American League Championship Series is when the Red Sox finally beat the Yankees (coming from behind 3 games to 0 to win the series 4 games to 3) to become American League Champions. They would then go on to sweep the St Louis Cardinals in 4 games to become World Series Champions for the first time in 86 years!

It is interesting to go back, but there's just something missing once you know everything (well, almost). I know people have complained about this, but all the weekly mysterious that kept our jaws on the floor were really insignificant and pointless in the long run. Like who cares about the Dharma stations anymore? Or the great cliffhanger of Eko's last words? That's why I hope the end will really takes us back to that first episode with their ace in the hole: Adam and Eve. I can't fathom who they are, but if it's game changing stuff, it'll warrant a complete rewatch and add another level to the show.

Dharma is/was most definitely important. Without them there would be no alternate timeline, which I'm sure will eventually play into the Jacob/Smokey conflict. There are certain plot threads that didn't go anywhere yes, but large chunks of the story like Dharma and the Swan hatch are anything but irrelevant (especially when you consider a whole lot of the story centered around the Swan station).

Some other unanswered questions I thought of:

Who the F fired at our heroes during the timeshifts when they were in the outrigger canoes? We could be finding that out soon, perhaps when camp f-locke heads for the Hydra?

To whom did Jacob's dying words "They are coming" refer to?

What are the whispers in the jungle all about?

What's the deal with the Adam and Eve skeletons?

Who was that other person seen in Jacob's cabin once?

What caused the periodic resupply drops, and why did one happen in season 2 when the station was locked down?

Who was that mysterious boy seen in the jungle, that the MIB and Sawyer could see but Richard couldn't?

I wonder if the amount of exposition in the final 9 episodes of the season will be the same or much, much greater than in the first 9

Dharma is/was most definitely important. Without them there would be no alternate timeline, which I'm sure will eventually play into the Jacob/Smokey conflict. There are certain plot threads that didn't go anywhere yes, but large chunks of the story like Dharma and the Swan hatch are anything but irrelevant (especially when you consider a whole lot of the story centered around the Swan station).

Well, yes. I was particularly talking about all of them though. Did our survivors ever find all of them? (Serious question) The ones like The Pearl and The Flame were insane things we wanted to learn about. Then there were all the intricate details in the Swan, like the blast door map (which I was hoping we'd get to see more of with Radzinsky in Season 5), and the mural on the wall. Stuff like that.

Some other unanswered questions I thought of:

Who the F fired at our heroes during the timeshifts when they were in the outrigger canoes? We could be finding that out soon, perhaps when camp f-locke heads for the Hydra?

What caused the periodic resupply drops, and why did one happen in season 2 when the station was locked down?

Who was that mysterious boy seen in the jungle, that the MIB and Sawyer could see but Richard couldn't?

I wonder if the amount of exposition in the final 9 episodes of the season will be the same or much, much greater than in the first 9

A lot of these were introduced in Season 6, so you can bet they will be answered. They've said since Season 1 Adam and Eve tie into the whole mystery, so I can guarantee you we'll get that, and I know we'll be getting the

supply drop question

answered. Perhaps

in the upcoming episode, entitled The Package? But that probably refers to whatever Jin was supposed to take to America.

I know we'll be getting the

supply drop question

answered. Perhaps

in the upcoming episode, entitled The Package? But that probably refers to whatever Jin was supposed to take to America.

Darlton revealed it would be addressed during comic con last year, but have since backtracked and said that it probably won't be answered within the series itself.

Camp Widmore?

It's the Others whispering to each other as they observe the Losties. This was already confirmed in an interview with one of the writers a while back. The exact source escapes me. Basically, they knew back in season one already that the whispers were the Others, although at that time they had no larger picture for what the Others exactly were.

Don't know, but the question was raised by the show itself again this season, so I'm guessing we'll be getting an answer to that question before the series ends.

Unknown, but it might be Smokie in disguise? I realized one thing for certain last week: when Christian announced he spoke "on Jacob's behalf," we now know it was complete bullocks. It was MiB all along!

Anyway,

2010-03-23.jpg

:lol:

Press release for tonight's episode:

SUN AND JIN CONTINUE THEIR SEARCH FOR ONE ANOTHER, AND LOCKE CONFRONTS HIS ENEMY, ON ABC'S "LOST"

"The Package" - Sun and Jin desperately continue their search for one another, and Locke confronts his enemy, on "Lost," TUESDAY, MARCH 30 (9:00-10:02 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

"Lost" stars Naveen Andrews as Sayid, Nestor Carbonell as Richard Alpert, Emilie de Ravin as Claire, Michael Emerson as Ben, Jeff Fahey as Frank Lapidus, Matthew Fox as Jack, Jorge Garcia as Hurley, Josh Holloway as Sawyer, Daniel Dae Kim as Jin, Yunjin Kim as Sun, Ken Leung as Miles, Evangeline Lilly as Kate, Terry O'Quinn as Locke and Zuleikha Robinson as Ilana.

Guest starring are

Alan Dale as Charles Widmore, Kevin Durand as Keamy, Anthony Azizi as Omar, Andrew Divoff as Mikhail Bakunin, Sheila Kelley as Zoe, Fred Koehler as Seamus, Chad Donella as desk clerk, Natalie Garcia Fryman as Ms. Kendall and Larry Joshua as Burditt.

"The Package" was written by Paul Zbyszewski & Graham Roland and directed by Paul Edwards.

"Lost" is broadcast in 720 Progressive (720P), ABC's selected HDTV format, with 5.1-channel surround sound. This program carries a TV-14,V parental guideline.

Clip 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H-dEJAI_qw

Clip 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzmGay4bzYk

Camp Widmore?

Or the losties from 1977 perhaps, seeing as several of them are candidates.

It's the Others whispering to each other as they observe the Losties. This was already confirmed in an interview with one of the writers a while back. The exact source escapes me. Basically, they knew back in season one already that the whispers were the Others, although at that time they had no larger picture for what the Others exactly were.

We'll soon find out if they've changed their minds since then - reliable rumour has it that the whispers get a definitive answer some time within the next 6 episodes.

It's been pretty obvious that the whispers were the Others. The mystery is why the hell they are whispering backwards and how they can seemingly transport wherever they like on the Island; as well as why they said some of the things they said. For instance, when Shannon saw Walt (had to have been the Smoke though), he said "Don't push the button, the button is bad" in reference to the hatch.

That's not what I remember reading. I remember reading that that was what the whisper's were originally intended to be...but that they later became "something else." Let's remember that we've heard the whispers in many strange contexts:

* Before Walt's mysterious appearances.

* Before Libby appeared to Michael.

* Before Harper appeared to Juliet.

* Before Christian (!) appeared to Michael on the freighter.

* Before Ben's mom appeared to him in the jungle.

The whispers are clearly associated with these mysterious apparitions, and they can happen when there's definitely no Others present (e.g. on the freighter). And for that reason, I DEFINITELY want to know what they mean.

We do hear them coincide with mysterious apparitions, but we also hear them with living breathing people. The first time with Sayid in the jungle, when the Others attack Jack, Kate, Sawyer, and Hurley in the Season 2 finale, when the Temple Others knock out our survivors under the Temple wall...

Yep. There seem to be two kinds of whispers. But some of them are definitely not Others-related, and I want to know what they are. Such a great device for making a scene scary!