Scores as good as a John Williams one

David Vincent

You know, for me John Williams is the best by far and I don't listen to many other scores than John Williams ones, but there are exceptions 8O

For example, I love to listen in loop to Alan Silvestri's Back to the Future scores and David Arnold's Independence Day.

Sometimes, people make a mistake by thinking those scores have been made by John Williams.

Do you know other scores like these, "as good as a John Williams one" ?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scores that are certainly as good:

Cutthroat Island (John Debney)

First Knight (Jerry Goldsmith)

Independence Day (David Arnold)

Other scores that I personally consider to be just as good:

Kingdom of Heaven (Harry Gregson-Williams)

Mulan (Jerry Goldsmith)

Mutiny on the Bounty (Bronislau Kaper)

Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas (Harry Gregson-Williams)

The Mummy Returns (Alan Silvestri)

Up for debate:

Atlantis: The Lost Empire (James Newton Howard)

I love to listen in loop to Alan Silvestri's Back to the Future scores and David Arnold's Independence Day.

Sometimes, people make a mistake by thinking those scores have been made by John Williams.

Thats the typical newbie-mistake: Every good film music with a memorable theme comes from John Williams. 8O

But here are some that easily reach the same level of impact like a great williams score:

Alan Silvestri - Judge Dredd

Why? Easily his best work for a sci-fi/action film to date.

Alan Silvestri - Siegfried & Roy

I call this one the Alan Silvestri concert. It definitely has some williams influences in terms of orchestration but is overall pure silvestri magic all the way through the 50 minutes of running time.

David Arnold - Independence Day

I can only agree here. A thrill ride!

Star Trek - The Motion Picture

Jerry's best without comparison.

The scores I've listed in the Is Micchael Giacchino overrrated thread from 1975 to 1985 when all the top composers were at the top of their game by some sort of magical confluence.

I still consider Back to the Future as a mediocre Williams imitation at the time.The theme is to blaringly obvious without any subtelty.But it's better than most of what's composed today.

K.M.

Batman by Elfman is perhaps the greatest non Williams score ever. Batman theme, descent into mystery, charge of the batmobile, finale and up the cathedral are all among the best Elfman tracks.

Also good ones:

Aliens - James Hornes

Alien 3 - Elliot Goldenthal (Very good and underestimated composer)

Children of Dune - Brian Tyler

And of course LotR by Shore

They are not very Williams like but still good scores.

Aside from Golden Age score, the following I would consider to be some that are up to Williams standard:

Stargate - Arnold

Independence Day - Arnold

Cutthroat Island - Debney

Batman - Elfman

Edward Scissorhands - Elfman

Dances with Wolves - Barry

maybe Finding Nemo - Newman

Hannibal - Zimmer

The Hours - Glass (although it is obviously totally different from a Williams score)

Peter Pan - JNH (although it is nowhere near Hook)

The Mission - Morricone

Easily "Young Sherlock Holmes" by Bruce Broughton. Just watch the movie and you'll hear it. The themes are terrific (I love the main theme--it's the clip on scorereviews.com), and the underscore is also wonderful, with a large, wonderful orchestra sound. It's easily a Williams caliber score. I wish I could get a hold of this for a reasonable price, but I haven't been able to find an Ebay auction that ends up less than 50 bucks.

Do you know other scores like these, "as good as a John Williams one" ?

Those are very different concepts: scores that sound like John Williams, and scores as good as John Williams.

Arnold's Stargate or Independence Day can be listed in the first group, but by no means in the second one (ID4 is a good example, compared with Williams' approach in the same genre: War of the Worlds).

It's funny how many people mis-label files on those person-to-person share systems. John Williams is credited with a plethora of material that isn't his, such as the Back to the Future stuff.

I agree with the Eflman Batman score, as well as his Edward Scissorhands and his extremely pleasant Sommersby.

Conan The Barbarian was already mentioned. I would also say Gone with the Wind, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, King of Kings....man-o-man, there are tons of great non-Williams scores. The world doesn't start and stop with him :)

Tim

It's funny how many people mis-label files on those person-to-person share systems.  John Williams is credited with a plethora of material that isn't his, such as the Back to the Future stuff.

It is amazing how little people care who has composed the music and Williamsseems to have become synonymous with all film music.

Conan The Barbarian was already mentioned.  I would also say Gone with the Wind, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, King of Kings....man-o-man, there are tons of great non-Williams scores.  The world doesn't start and stop with him  :)  

Tim

There are tons and tons of brilliant film music out there and not all of it is written by Williams. In the last couple of years I have discovered many great scores and composers that I did not want to explore when I was younger. I guess there was some childish notion that I would betray Williams in a way as a fan if I listened other composers' works. That sounds funny but you do silly things when you are young. It does not lessen worth of Williams' music in my eyes (or should I say ears) if I listen other composers. He is still IMO the best film composer out there and nothing is going to change that. I am glad I stopped being

close minded about other film composers and scores. I have discovered so much wonderful music. Now all I need is to broaden my musical tastes beyond classical and film music. :)

To name all great scores would take a lot of space and since there are no ultimate and final words on the excellence of any score beyond personal tastes I wont list any here.

Abyss - Silvestri

Anastasia - David Newman

Army of Darkness - LoDuca

Atlantis - JNH

Azurik - Rise Of Perathia - Jeremy Soule

BTTF 1,2,3 - Silvestri

Batman - Elfman

Big Fish - Elfman

Black Stallion Returns - Georges Delerue

Boy Who Could Fly - Broughton

Charlie And The Chocolate Factory - Elfman

Chinatown - Goldsmith

Cider House Rules - Portman

Conan The Barbarian - Poledouris

Congo - Goldsmith

Cutthroat Island - Debney

Diablo 2 - Lord Of Destruction - Matt Uelmen

Dinosaur - JNH

Edward Scissorhands - Elfman

Ghost Ship - Conrad Pope

Gladiator - Zimmer

Godzilla - David Arnold

Gold Diggers - McNeely

Heart Of Darkness - Broughton

Homeward Bound - Broughton

Hulk - Elfman

Hunchback Of Notre Dame - Menken

Hunt For Red October - Poledouris

Incredibles - Giacchinno

Iron Will - McNeely

Judge Dredd - Silvestri

Last Samurai - Zimmer

Mask Of Zorro - Horner

Matrix - Don Davis

Merlin - Trevor Jones

Mission - Morricone

Mouse Hunt - Silvestri

Mulan II - McNeely

Mummy Returns - Silvestri

Narnia - HGW

Passion Of Christ - Debney

Peter Pan - JNH

Predator - Silvestri

Return To Neverland - McNeely

Robin Hood - Kamen

Rocketeer - Horner

Shawshank Redemption - Thomas Newman

Silverado - Broughton

Sky Captain - Shearmur

Spider-Man - Elfman

Star Wars - Shadows Of The Empire - McNeely

Stargate - David Arnold

Supergirl - Goldsmith

Trinity And Beyond - William Stromberg

Van Helsing - Silvestri

Village - JNH

Who Framed Roger Rabbit - Silvestri

Willow - Horner

Young Sherlock Holmes - Broughton

Medal of Honor (1-3) and Cutthroat Island are as good (not necessarily better) as any adventure score Williams has ever wrote, IMO.

You did list an individual score.

No. That's obviously just what I was playing at that time. Musically, I'm not convinced it would belong in this category.

Marian - who would list many other scores before this one.

Air Force One - Goldsmith and McNeely

Star Trek The Motion Picture - Goldsmith

Star Trek II The Wrath Of Khan - James Horner

Star Trek III The Search For Spock - James Horner

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier - Goldsmith

Star Trek First Contact - Goldsmith

Star Trek Insurrection - Goldsmith

Star Trek Nemesis - Goldsmith

The Matrix - Don Davis

The Matrix Reloaded - Don Davis

The Matrix Revolutions - Don Davis

Spider-Man - Danny Elfman

Starship Troopers - Basil Poledouris

Dinosaur - James Newton Howard

The Scorpion King - John Debney

Just to name a few from my end which I think are good non-Williams scores.

Maybe not, but Yared's Troy. Huge, memorable themes; lush and thick orchestrations; Amazing battle music. You get the idea.

Yared's Troy doesn't count since it really isn't a score.

Titanic, it's amazing

Far too many scores to name, but anything by Korngold, Steiner, Waxman, Herrman, and Rosza for starters. Not too much lately though. SOmeone mentioned the score to Narnia! Why????? Perhaps I was in the wrong movie, but that score sucked! However I woud like to defend the terrific theme from Back to the Future. Obvious? Maybe. In the same way that Williams Superman Theme is obvious, his score to The Cowboys is obvious. Etc etc. The Back to the Future theme is simply one of the most exciting and memorable themes of all time. And that's all I have to say about tha.....t.

James - who wishes someone would hurry up and release an nice CD of the score to Clash of the Titans.

I never heard a score thinking 'this sounds like Williams' (with the exeption of Joel McNeely- but he copied the weaker Williams moments)

However I listen to meany other scores and think that they are great.

Interview With a Vampire,

LOTR

Star Trek Soundtracks

Omen trilogy

Alien

Aliens

Alien 3

Hellraiser I + II

Batman Forever

Back to the future

Judge Dread

Predator I + II

Little Buddha

The Last Emperor

Stargate

Legend

I mean there are so many great scores out there. But for me nobody comes close to Williams other than Goldsmith.

I also have this thing where I can't listen to any other composer after I've heard my most faivourite CD's from Williams.

The only thing that can compete is classical music so I grab some of my classical collection as a worthy continuation to the material from JW.

James - who wishes someone would hurry up and release an nice CD of the score to Clash of the Titans.

I have that on c.d.It was released by Pendulum along with Cocoon,what are you talking about?

So scores as great as a Williams one:

Star Trek The Motion Picture

Star Trek The Wrath of Khan

Moonraker

Clash of the Titans

Krull

Cocoon

The Black Hole

Poltergeist

The Final Conflict

The Secret of NIMH

The Land Before Time

Stargate

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

K.M.

Yes Ray, Joe is the person who hates/bash pretty much everything, so that was clearly sarcastic.

And with that, I wanna say that I agree with Stefan. I like Titanic but it's not Horner's best.

Titanic is outstanding, but as Horner goes, I prefer Braveheart.

I can't personally stand that synth choir and Uillean pipes. Plus after hearing that love theme(My Heart Will Go On) blasted from every media for a year after the movie had come out kind of turned me off that too. I own the score but I can't listen it from start to finish. But hey that is life. Some things you like, some things you don't. Personally I would choose something else from Horner like Brave Heart or Rocketeer.

Someone mentioned the score to Narnia! Why????? Perhaps I was in the wrong movie, but that score sucked!

Probably because it has eight themes which interweave beautifully and develop all throughout the score. It's a really fun score with a strong emotional core, and it does anything but meander, as you claimed. At least you gave it a listen outside of the film before claiming it "sucks." Oh wait. :P

~Sturgis, surprised at how many people listed very few scores to be as good as Williams

Yes Ray, Joe is the person who hates/bash pretty much everything, so that was clearly sarcastic.  

Since he's stated his admiration for Titanic, both film and score, on multiple occasions in the past, he was clearly being serious. Now be quiet!

Ray Barnsbury

What does JWFan think of James Horner's Glory?

Do I smell a poll coming on? :shakehead:

Anway, with regards to Narnia...it's a good score, but hardly up to par with the best of Williams. I've listened to the score three times now, and really have no interest to listen to it again for some time. The first two tracks are uninteresting musically. The middle section is pretty dull, but pleasant to listen to. The Battle is a good track. On the whole it's a pretty average score, good, but not great....worthy of talk and praise, but not worthy to be compared to Geisha or Munich this year.

Tim

Anway, with regards to Narnia...it's a good score, but hardly up to par with the best of Williams.  I've listened to the score three times now, and really have no interest to listen to it again for some time.  The first two tracks are uninteresting musically.  The middle section is pretty dull, but pleasant to listen to.  The Battle is a good track.  On the whole it's a pretty average score, good, but not great....worthy of talk and praise, but not worthy to be compared to Geisha or Munich this year.

Just so ya know (if you didn't already) . . . the first track features the "Children's Theme" and the second features that as well as the first appearance of the "Narnia Theme." So it's not just mindless nothingness, if that would entice you at all. But if you really find them uninteresting, well then, you're just a big poo-poo head! :shakehead:

~Sturgis

I obviously did not analyze the score while listening to it, as you did. I don't know, the first track just sounds like James Bond music or something. The electronics sound out of place, as does the trumpet blasts. The strings are doing interesting things, but the clicking rhythm and drum loop annoyes me. "Evacuating London" suffers for a couple of reasons. The female vocal caught me off guard, but the track ends up sounding like a bad pop song. It sounds, in fact, like trailer music. The stuff they get from a grab-bag or archive.

Tim

Someone mentioned the score to Narnia! Why????? Perhaps I was in the wrong movie, but that score sucked!

Probably because it has eight themes which interweave beautifully and develop all throughout the score. It's a really fun score with a strong emotional core, and it does anything but meander, as you claimed. At least you gave it a listen outside of the film before claiming it "sucks." Oh wait. :|

The score spoilt the film for me, so why on earth would I want to listen to it away from the film? I heard more than I could stomach in the theatre. Sorry to be argumentative, but I left the cinema thinking that a wonderful opportunity to compose some interesting music had been wasted. Those dull music cues aren't going to sound any better on a CD player than they did in the dolby surround sound of the cinema.

And yes, it meandered. A lot.

:shakehead:

I have that on c.d.It was released by Pendulum along with Cocoon,what are you talking about?

It's out of print, that's what I'm talking about. :| You can get it second hand for about 35 bucks, but I don't have that kind of money for a CD right now.