Why Brokenback Mountain?

Sonalitude

I saw the movie, the music is good, but in my point of view, not as good as an Oscar owner should be. After all, most of the time there's just a guitar playing some easy notes.

Want to listen to more of your opinions

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thirteen minutes!!!!!? The Academy gave a score that was thirteen minutes long a TROPHY!!!!? How long was the score to Munich?! How long was the score to Geisha?! Who were the two greatest string players on Earth performing that score!!? Gee, if I knew it was that easy, I'd have become a movie composer long ago.

This is a disgrace! JW was robbed and so were the rest of the nominee's....

Well, voters in the Yahoo! poll picked Brokeback over Memoirs, 36% to 27%. Honestly, after seeing Brokeback in the theater, many of the comments made immediately after the showing were about how much people liked the music. It has some appeal to the general public and the musically uninitated (*cough* the Academy *cough*).

Memoirs (and Munich) were far better scores.

They were looking over their list and they thought "Hey, we only gave Brokeback 2 awards. Let's give it another one. What do we have to spare...hey, how 'bout Best Score!"

They can all go butt f*ck themselves to that crappy guitar tune for all I care.

Elloquently put, my friend.

Simple aesthetically pleasing soothing sounds pacify infants. I see that the Academy voters must be around the same intellectual age to dismiss Williams' fare. I wish War of the Worlds was nominated instead. Then I would feel comfortable knowing that the meaty, ballsy music never had a chance because it's much too complex and lacking in PC to warrant the statuette even though that was my favorite score of 2005.

Too bad Shore didn't end up scoring Kong. He most-likely would have garnered a nom. Then again, seeing Shore AND Williams lose out to a simple 13 minute score would have inspired a greater rant than this one.

Williams votes were probably split, and the other 2 nominated scores were rather anonymous.

Brokeback Mountain is a big name everyone in the Academy knows, so they voted for it, wether they actually say the film or not.

Munich should not have been nominated, you need a score like Star Wars to survive a double nom.

Munich should not have been nominated, you need a score like Star Wars to survive a double nom.

I think Williams knows that.He said something about it in the Nightline clip,about his votes beeing split.

K.M.

True.

-Mark, who is debating staying up for the Varese club releases even though it's still another 2-1/2 hours.

Now that's funny. I think Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg are also working on a funky hip-hop remix of the main theme called Iz Not Easy Being Green (in Dee Miner). Should sell like hotcakes.

Well its Williams fault then for allowing both scores to be nominated. He should have only submitted one.

I'm not sure Williams had any say in the matter. I know composers and such can lobby for consideration but that's about it. As far as I know, Williams wasn't making a big deal for Munich.

Well,that kind of ended the year's discussions with a thud.Williams lost his Oscar and he's not scoring anything this year.

K.M.

Let's not forget all the cool stuff we got in the last couple weeks, especially that live performance with Yo-Yo Ma...

It's just an award show. The only thing it proves, more clearly then ever, is that the Academy doesn't know what they're doing when it comes to music.

Tim

Hearing the "samples", I'd rank the nominees like this:

1. Memoirs of a Geisha

2. Pride & Prejudice

3. Munich

4. The Constant Gardener

5. Brokeback Mountain

I wouldn't have minded any of the first four winning, but Brokeback Mountain? That type of score has been done to death before, and a lot better.

I was surprised that Brokeback even made it to the nomination list, as there were only the infamous 13 minutes of music. I'm only saying this because this is the precise reason why the music people in the Academy blocked Howard Shores nomination for The Aviator (there was shit length for music in that film). They should have blocked the Brokeback nomination as well, but from what I heard from some recording engineer buddies out in LA is that the Academy board members actually lobbied to the musicians to let the score in. Who knows if this is 100% true, but even if it is only partially true, then the music branch just lost all objectivity (if this is truly the first time they have buckeld under the pressure) and prove that nobody can stop the all powerful Liberal Hollywood Train.

"All aboard! Non-stop service to Bend Over And Take It the Hard Way City. And for your listening enjoyment, the worst music written in the year 2005!"

The music categories this year were particulary dreadful.

But why were we surprised? Best score: Salma Hayek. Best song: Queen Latifah. Wasn't it clear to whom they were going to give oscars?

But why were we surprised? Best score: Salma Hayek. Best song: Queen Latifah. Wasn't it clear to whom they were going to give oscars?

Very true, and good observation. It makes you think that they know the winners far before the date they claim.

Does anyone remember back in the day when Horner for Braveheart was up against Luis Bacalov for Il Postino? I thought that Braveheart was a shoe in, as many critics and professionals did. The ceremony was messed up as all hell, as I remember the presenter coming out and about to read the nominees, but instead went backstage quickly and brought out what looked like a different award card. Anyhow, the winner was Il Postino, and there was a bit of controversy that I read afterwards. Anyhow, the point is that the Academy is a bunch of sneaky little bastards.

I know who my winner is:

And the Andy goes to... John Williams for Memoirs of a Geisha!

That's all that matters to me. Let Santa have that worthless trophy. Williams has way more anyways and will be scoring big movies when Santa is already forgotten. I give him one year and no one will even remember that Santa-guy, his guitar and his worthless oscar anymore. Unlike Williams, whose countless great scores, inspiration and talent will be remembered and stand the test of time. He does not need the academy anymore because he is standing above it all. A man who has multiple nominations per year but does not win because of that is obviously too good for the statue.

But why were we surprised? Best score: Salma Hayek.

Hehe. That's true! She's been the only one that was able to pronounce his name correctly.

Well, I don't give a shit anymore.....

Last year some fluffy la-la-la-la-la (HORRIBLE!!). This year this. Next year..... OMG.........

I'd never heard the cue that they played for Constant Gardener, which incidentally sounded very good

I that with the exception of Howard Shore for ROTK and Horner for Titanic, they've always been giving the best score oscar to first time nominees.

One word summation! Robbed. No doubt about it. I was gutted for John Williams who incidentally couldn't take his eyes off Dolly Parton's boobs throughout the whole show.

Hitch, who thought Dolly Parton should have won for Best Song instead of the awful Pimp song trivel.

Travesty! Insult and injury to Williams! For shame Academy, for shame!

Any of the other nominees (preferably Williams) should have won the Oscar.

ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO

The members of the academy have a very huge sense of humour, they want to make us think they have given an Oscar to someone who composed a 13 minutes guitar score for a movie about two gay cowboys 8O

Such a thing would never happen, it is not serious ;)

Now, seriously, when will occur the real ceremony ?

Because the Academy is a bunch of deaf old men.

Even deaf people loves John Williams.

This pissed me off so bad. Clearly the Oscars are no longer about talent but about popularity and being fair. Just because John Williams has already won numerous times and just because this Santa-fellow is a new guy, they feel they have to award the statue to Santa. If it were an award going to the most talented, it would've gone to John Williams.

Whatever, everyone knows he is more talented. Gustav Whats-his-face will be forgotten soon, and so will his "score." You won't hear these "winning" scores played in musical montages in years to come. But years from now, people will still be humming Williams' tunes, like the Jaws theme.

Even though the double-nom might've hurt Williams' chances, I think it's something to brag about. Let's see any other composer have TWO of their works played by Perlman at the Oscars. :)

In the words of this random black lady I overheard the other night:

Man, this some bullsh*t!"

Why everyone get his 'consolation price' (always being score and robbing it from Williams it seems) except Williams.

And just because Geisha had undeserving bad reviews.

The music categories this year were particulary dreadful.

*sigh* They don't know. It's pure speculation. Although trucking out Sophia Loren to give Robert Begnini his Oscar was suspect. As was Michael and Kirk Douglas for "Chicago."

Hey, they trotted Harrison Ford out to supposedly give the Oscar to pal Steven Spielberg for "Saving Private Ryan." Look how that turned out.

This'll be the one time I speak subjectively about the Oscars on this board.

I am saddened that John Williams lost again. This year's travesty was the most glaring upset since "Fame."

I will continue to honor the excellent music Williams writes.

This is now his longest losing streak. But not as long as sound mixer Kevin O'Connell (24 years).

The Oscars are still three hours of fun, and I always get excited about watching each year. I will still get nervous over a possible John Williams win the next time, and get upset if/when he loses. And then do it all again the next year.

If he never wins again in his lifetime, he'll die being remembered for his music more than the fact that he lost at least 38 times.

Gustavo Santaolalla, Michael Gore, Elliot Goldenthal and Howard Shore will get an "Oscar winner" in their obits, but they will be monstrously shorter than Williams'.

As far as the nomination process, it's the studios that submit movies for nomination, not the producers or director. Williams really has no say as to what score gets nominated and what one doesn't. Ultimately, the Oscar is just a money making vehicle for the studios to get more people in the theaters. Would anyone honestly have seen ANY of the movies up for Oscars if they weren't nominated?

So, why Brokeback? Because if it wasn't nominated, no one would have seen it or even heard about it.

In the end, we know where the hard work, effort and dedication happened and thats all that counts

Oscar, I wish I knew how to quit you!!!

Bear in mind it's not the quantity but the quality that counts.

Goldsmith's spotting and scoring of Patton are legitimately famous because he only wrote 30 minutes for a 3-hour film-- but those 30 minutes were efficient.

However, in the present case, it seems to be quite another matter. I haven't seen the movie, nor heard the score, as I am interested in neither, but from what I read, the problem is that those 13 minutes are mediocre, especially in the light of Williams' 2005 output (I can't say for Munich; I did want to see the movie, but wasn't able to, and I haven't gotten the score nor heard a note from it yet).

That is the problem: quality, not quantity.

10 minutes of music by Goldsmith, Williams, Bernstein, Newman, Herrmann, Elfman, Horner, Zimmer (MV stereotypic bashers may say what they want, he can write great music: The Lion King, Beyond Rangoon, and his gorgeous theme for Pearl Harbor are proof) can pack a whole lot of emotion, intensity, meaning, complexity, elegance, beauty, ... at once.

This, however, does not seem to be the case of the winner (again, from the trustworthy opinions I have read).

Kendal said it, and I can't find now who stated it another way: it is clearly a matter of voting for the movie rather than the score, of finding something more to award it for-- just because it's supposedly the politically correct thing to do because of its subject; a one-minute CD of the actors yodelling badly would have probably won as well.

Appalling.

As far as BROKEBACK goes, it is a nice theme. But it seemed a little academic to me.

GEISHA certainly should have won, but I agree with the sentiment that its loss was due to a split between the Williams votes.

GEISHA certainly should have won, but I agree with the sentiment that its loss was due to a split between the Williams votes.

While I think the loss has something to do with the split vote issue, I think liberal Hollywood is much more responsible for the outcome than anything else. Ehh, you win some you lose some.

Here's something what my Oscar for Best Score list would look like fro the past few years:

2005- Memoirs of a Geisha- John Williams

2004- The Incredibles- Michael Giacchino (I'm glad Hollywood will award some new composer for a 13 minute score but completely miss the boat nominating the most effective score for any film in 2004)

2003- Finding Nemo- Thomas Newman (consolation for Newman not winning for Shawshank)

2002- Signs (JN Howard's great score. Most film critics even noticed the music and mentioned so in their reviews)

2001- Fellowship of the Ring- Howard Shore. Deservingly so although A.I. was a pretty close 2nd.

2000- Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon- Tan Dun. Same as above.

1999- The Talented Mr. Ripley- Gabriel Yared

1998- Comedy/Animated Feature- Mulan- Jerry Goldsmith/Drama- The Thin Red Line- Hans Zimmer (I'm not a Zimmer fan but he did work a year on this)

1997- LA Confidential- Jerry Goldsmith (Titanic sucks the sweat off a dea man's balls to quote Forrest Whiticker in Good Morning Viet Nam) Runner Up- Contact- Alan Silvestri

1996- English Patient- Gabriel Yared. Deservingly so.

1995- Braveheart- James Horner. A more deserving score than his later overrated Titanic

1994- The Shawshank Redemption- Thomas Newman

1993- Schindler's List- Williams

1992- Bram Stoker's Dracula- Wojciech Kilar

1991- Hook or JFK- John Williams

1990- Edward Scissorhands- Danny Elfman

I'm stopping now.