The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

Can anyone tell me what's so good and special about the Die Hard score? As i said before i didnt notice it at all the few times i watched the movie. The only moments i remember were the Ode to joy rearrangement and one or two ocurrences of the theme...

The music definetly didnt stand out well enough to merit a listen out of the film

I didn't think I was going to buy this one, but after listening to some clips on YouTube, decided to take the plunge. For me, the music brings back fond memories of the movie, which was one of my favorites as a teen.

Can anyone tell me what's so good and special about the Die Hard score? As i said before i didnt notice it at all the few times i watched the movie. The only moments i remember were the Ode to joy rearrangement and one or two ocurrences of the theme...

The music definetly didnt stand out well enough to merit a listen outside of the film

Dude, there are sound clips right here so you can judge for yourself:

http://www.lalalandrecords.com/Die.html

The music definetly didnt stand out well enough to merit a listen outside of the film

Dude, there are sound clips right here so you can judge for yourself:

http://www.lalalandr...ds.com/Die.html

I didn't consider it that good, so you had my judgement already... why would the samples change anything (and maybe i already listened to the samples)

I was interested in your opinions and reviews

Scrooged and Die Hard here.

Haven't weighed in much on these, but I'll say there's some really interesting stuff in the "Die Hard" score when it comes to writing for action films. Maybe not the melody-filled fare we're used to as JW fans, but a lot of it is textbook-style examples of how to write lengthy/extended suspense cues without becoming either boring or insanely taxing for the listener. Much different than JW's style in many ways of course, but it works great.

I can't shake the feeling that all the good stuff from Scrooged was previously available on the Music for a Darkened Theater cd

I hope not. I own both of those albums -- haven't listened yet -- but still felt compelled to buy Scooged.

This is a case in which I really have to listen to the whole thing before deciding whether to buy it or not. Those 8 minutes are great, but I heard nothing in the movie that lived up to them, so I'm really curious about the unused music

I didn't consider it that good, so you had my judgement already... why would the samples change anything (and maybe i already listened to the samples)

Don't worry, you're not alone. I don't think I've ever seen Die Hard from start to end, but the fairly length score excerpts I've heard didn't do anything for me. I struggle with Kamen when he ventures outside his very classical approach (i.e. Band of Brothers sort of thing).

Passed on this batch myself. Not that I think they're 'minor' titles - I'm just not interested in any of the films.

If the score is uninteresting to you then why the hell would anyone else' opinion matter? You know Jason's stance on the score.

Your opinions don't have to make me like the score, i just want to understand how and what is special about this score. I myself don't see it. And even after that

i won't consider it good... I will then only know why and what others see in this score that makes them buy it!

Trent you could also tell me why you consider this a good score. Obviously the only one that understood my point of those who ordered it was airmanjerm, thanks for your analysis of the action music.

No sweat!

FWIW, I'm not gonna tell anybody to buy anything: opinions are far too frequently presented as "factual evidence," which is frustrating and silly. If somebody doesn't like the samples of a movie they don't care for, then I'm not spending their money for them by trying to coerce them into buying something....and $30 ain't cheap if you're on the fence about it. But, if you want to know why some find it interesting, I'm happy to oblige.

Who was it that just said a few days ago that they don't care if "Hook" is ever released because they hate it? That's fine..not my job to tell somebody what they like, and that's just one less person I have to compete with when it goes on sale! :lol:

I wanted a small review or analysis to understand what's special about Die Hard and you wrote exactly that. That wasn't sarcasm, i was happy that you reviewed a part of this score ;)

All 4 titles are sellin like hotcakes, with Die Hard in the lead. If you are on the fence about it I would make a decision soon.

More later today in regards to Tora and Scrooged (also selling fast)

MV

I wanted a small review or analysis to understand what's special about Die Hard and you wrote exactly that. That wasn't sarcasm, i was happy that you reviewed a part of this score ;)

Oh sure I knew it wasn't sarcasm...that was a broad comment not directed at anyone. But, glad to help. :wink:

Die Hard will sell very fast.

I was just thinking, how fast do you guys think it will go? At the moment - after almost exactly 24 hours - there's no low quantity (or any other) alert up yet, but that might change soon ...

If you are on the fence about it I would make a decision soon.

MV

How soon is soon? i.e. is it safe to wait a couple more hours?

Rob

I would say less than 500 left on Die Hard and Tora.

MV

Holy cow! Just barely 24 hours since they went up for sale and already nearly gone! That's truly amazing, especially considering Die Hard's 3500 units.

I'm always thrilled when any of our beloved labels has a big seller. But of those 3,000 Die Hards gone, many have gone to other retailers to sell, right? Or am I misinterpreting?

Depnding on the title we usual sell about 35-50% of a title directly through our website and the remaining through other online specialty retailers like SAE, Movie Music, Intrada, etc. . . On a rare occassion, like the Batman titles, we sell upwards of 60% directly through our website. Those Gothamites want to be the first to get their hands on the latest Batman music. :)

MV

I can. There has been a huge demand for this one.

There are less than 500 copies left now btw.

Karol

:o

Less than 500 copies???!?!?!??! Holy cow.

I mean I knew that a complete Die Hard was an often requested one from people but didn't realize it would be selling this well. However, I am NOT surprised it is selling better than Home Alone.

And it's not even a particularly good score.

Only in your opinion.

No. You are an idiot for liking it.

:wink:

Seriously, it's not very good, musically. Put it behind something like TIMECOP et voilá - nobody would care about it.

We are up to order #44000. All orders up to that one will be packed up and shipped out by thee morning. Our monkeys are hard at work until 11 pm tonight packing up orders.

Die Hard is just about sold out. Maybe a 150 left

MV

Wow it's been what nearly 48 hours later and it's sold out? Impressive, most impressive.

I think it's been 33 hours! Is this a new record? :P Probably, e.g. Predator and Commando went even faster ...

An understandable sellout, considering the Varese is pretty rare. I guess it helps the sellout mania when there's no available copies officially in print.

I'm looking forward to hearing this score again!

I knew Die Hard would sell fast but I didnt think it would be this fast. I'm glad I placed my order when I did. Initially I was going to wait a few days. Its a good thing I didnt. I would have missed out.

La-La Land is awesome. My order arrived today! I live on the other side of the country!

You're going to give us an in-depth description of Die Hard's packaging, liner notes, tracks, etc., right? ;)

I never knew Die Hard was a holy grail until this week. I wasn't even sure that movie had a score

I remember the time before the previous release. It was definitely a holy grail back then.