The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

I don't really care about HOOK.

So? I don't really care that you don't really care about HOOK.

I was referring to that guy who complained everyone was broken up over HOOK.

It kind of sucks this is the last LLL batch. I hope Intrada and FSM have something up their sleeves.

For those that are ticked about Hook missing in the batch. Boo Hoo. I'm definitely purchasing Scrooged and Die Hard . Maybe Fatman and the Little Boy in the near future. Though Goldenthal's Batman Forever, Barry's King Kong, and Goldsmith's Congo would've been nice too. But what's in the batch is better than nothing..
Some of you guys need to get over Hook already. I'm sure it'll get a reissue some day. Stop raining on peoples parade b/c it wasn't in the batch. Also stay away from guns , any sharp objects, windows, roofs, prescription pills, and any other things that can cause suicide.
In-between both your posts, there was a whopping one person who mentioned Hook in passing.

I'm really interested in Die Hard (as I said before). Got some 90 minute bootleg, but never listen to it because of horrible sound quality. Is it true that the original masters are in terrible shape in the first palce? How good can this one possibly sound?

Karol

Nope... as much as I want Hook, I'd love it if Varese would re-issue Home Alone 2 yet again. I can't believe I missed it when they re-issued their version a few years back... grrrrrr....

I can't believe you missed it either. It was available for at least 5 years.

It's the same damn time every two weeks! It doesn't change people! It even says it in MV's posts.

I usually don't care for the specific time as they rarely do a 2000 piece release of a highly regarded Goldsmith score. ;)

Well, to be honest in my opinion these titles for the usually BIG black friday release suck. Look what we got last year with Home Alone, StarTrekV and Batman Returns. That was a black friday release that merits its name. I am not that dissapointed cause we got 1941 BUT the black friday no longer is a day of big releases. Now we can also get obscure and even unknown old scores which for some may be great but for me personally is something i couldnt care less.

Lalaland in my opinion should have waited with the great and perfect 1941 release for Black friday to have at least one score that lives up to the event. Now no one does. I mean Die Hard is just nothing special. I didnt even notice the score in the movie. It works well with the picture but provided nothing that made me want to listen to this music again.

The Morricone score is not known at all, a nice curiosity but i guess there was a reason the wealth of material was cut out but still is probably the most interesting of the four scores (but in no way a black friday score). I am completely unfamiliar with Goldsmiths Tora Tora but this is a really old score and usually this means a lower sound quality. It is also not one of Goldsmiths greats so i couldnt care less for that too... and i won't even start on Elfman

But people please stop hyping this event next year. The Black Friday is nothing special anymore, we get much better releases at other times of the year.

Well, Scrooged is a important landmark in Elfman's career and I've always loved the suite on the Music for a Darkened Theater cd. How long is this score anyway?

I'm very fond of the suite of Tora Tora Tora in the Patton re-recording, but is the complete score worth owning besides that?

Those of you who are disappointed, you're the only ones to blame to give your hopes up and expect something spectacular. We knew that at least two of those were going to be "Die Hard" and "Scrooged".

I'll only be getting Die Hard since the others don't interest me.

I am only dissapointed because of all the Hook rumours which led people to believe it was coming 2010, then 2011 and now they will unsuccesfully surely start for 2012 again.

To sometimes hope for positive things may lead to dissapointments but is necessary to not become a boring pessimist.

Well it looks like my wallet is safe this Black Friday. I'll pass on all four releases. It leaves me budget to get some other releases I did not buy earlier this year instead.

They should have saved 1941 for this. The fact that they released such a landmark Spielberg/Williams title prior to this event got my hopes WAY up. Why wouldn't it? Last year, the titles were exceptional.

Yes the string of excellent releases LLL put out throughout this year really raised the anticipation levels extremely high. I guess Die Hard will be a holy grail to many but that score has never registered with me in a meaningful way. Still I am glad they decided to re-release it for all the fans it obviously has in a 2CD set no less.

I abandoned my hopes of getting Hook this year a while ago so this is not a huge disappointment for me as I was not prepared to buy anything but a Williams release or with good luck some grail from another composer, neither which happened.

Compared to last year, the titles announced today are a little underwhelming. I will be picking up Scrooged at the least, and maybe Die Hard and Tora Tora Tora.

I dunno. I'm picking up Die Hard and Scrooged. VERY excited about these.

It's Intrada that I have no interest in. Now that Jaws has been scratched off, there's nothing that I'm even remotely interested in that would fit the clues.

Does anyone think that the 2011 batch is STRONGER than the 2010 batch?

because I think something MV was saying that they were trying to surpass last year's batch.

last year: home alone, batman returns, star trek V!!

I don't know, but this year, it seems very weak to me.

I haven't noticed at all the Die hard score, neither the Scrooged one, and I haven't seen the other 2 films.

While I understand why some of you are disappointment, these ARE big releases and will be welcomed by many. I don't know the Morricone score, but the other three qualify as holy grails.

I'm only kind of disappointed Batman Forever is not there. But then again it was not unexpected.

Karol

because I think something MV was saying that they were trying to surpass last year's batch.

I doubt this lineup represents his original idea. We know BATMAN FOREVER and several others are in the pipeline, so he got fu...ed on the schedules. I think HOOK may have been a possibility earlier this year but was pushed back. I also think that he would have chosen 1941 for this batch if the Morricone or Goldsmith would have gotten ready earlier. It's drawing straws, really.

I doubt this lineup represents his original idea. We know BATMAN FOREVER and several others are in the pipeline, so he got fu...ed on the schedules. I think HOOK may have been a possibility earlier this year but was pushed back. I also think that he would have chosen 1941 for this batch if the Morricone or Goldsmith would have gotten ready earlier. It's drawing straws, really.

he said that a score would be released in 2010, then it got pushed for 2011, and now again pushed for 2012. I'm almost sure that he is talking about Hook.

I didn't realise SCROOGED was some massive holy grail.

It's like Black Sunday, Midway and Family Plot for Williams fans. None of them are necessarily the best-best Williams had to offer, but they all have one thing in common - previously unreleased. Besides, it was the first score (that I'm aware of) Elfman's classic style first emerged.

Karol

I am only dissapointed because of all the Hook rumours which led people to believe it was coming 2010, then 2011 and now they will unsuccesfully surely start for 2012 again.

No kidding.

last year: home alone, batman returns, star trek V!!

I don't know, but this year, it seems very weak to me.

I haven't noticed at all the Die hard score, neither the Scrooged one, and I haven't seen the other 2 films.

LOL. Star Trek V was probably the biggest grail out of the list last year. Batman Returns already had plenty of music on it's original 1992 album (still in print). I believe Home Alone had a score release that was still in print as well. Jade was a premiere release that felt out of place with those (despite Horner's name on it). So really how was this year no better than last . Oh yeah no Hook or King Kong '76 release like some predicted. I can't wait when Hook finally comes out so people can stop whining about it.

What gives you that idea. 1941 was supposed to be one of the SDCC titles. But got delayed. I think they wanted to get that out as soon as possible to coincide with they're special screening of the movie back in September. So I doubt that was planned for Black Friday.

While I understand why some of you are disappointment, these ARE big releases and will be welcomed by many. I don't know the Morricone score, but the other three qualify as holy grails.

I'm only kind of disappointed Batman Forever is not there. But then again it was not unexpected.

Karol

These releases are not big, not that sought after and underwhelming. I guess if these scores would qualify as holy grails then every score done by any of the famous composers would qualify as holy grail which of course is complete rubbish.

It's obvious that there are film score fans who will defend this batch to their last word but that doesn't change the fact that compared to last years black friday releases this batch is a letdown!

Karol

These releases are not big, not that sought after and underwhelming. I guess if these scores would qualify as holy grails then every score done by any of the famous composers would qualify as holy grail which of course is complete rubbish.

It's obvious that there are film score fans who will defend this batch to their last word but that doesn't change the fact that compared to last years black friday releases this batch is a letdown!

Yeah b/c Hook wasn't in it right? I'm purchasing Die Hard b/c I missed the last one and from MV's description of the album. It'll be better than Varese's. Scrooged never got a release and plus I'm an Elfman fan. So that's ordered without hesistation. Fat Man and Little Boy I've decided I'll purchase with these. Instead of waiting next year,b/c it's Morricone and of MV's description of the album. Though I've seen the movie (Fatman and the Little Boy) many years ago. My memories of the movie and score are pretty vague. I'll pass on Goldsmith's Tora!Tora!Tora! b/c I'm not familiar with it. Don't feel that I'm missing out.

But that's funny you say last year was better than this year. It's almost similar.

Home Alone and Batman Returns are christmas scores just like Die Hard and Scrooged. Both Batman Returns and Scrooged were scored by Elfman. Die Hard and Home Alone deal with one person fighting bad guys during christmas eve in an isolated area. Star Trek V and Tora!Tora!Tora! are both Goldsmith scores. Both Jade and Fatman and The Little Boy are premiere releases. Also Star Trek V and Fatman and the Little Boy were surprise releases. So I don't see how this year was a let down. It's only a letdown to you b/c Hook was missing.

BTW, I'm anticipating Hook's reissue too. So I'm not a hater. Just that the way some you overreact and tear down other scores that got released instead is ignorant.

And also, moving 1941 to Black Friday wouldn't have changed anything that was released... we would just have had to wait longer for it. What for?

As far as the above mentioned suspected non-greatness of Tora goes... I don't know the score (except for a few clips I heard years ago), but I've always been under the impression that it's considered one of his great scores from its period.

I think it's probably because the album is essentially the same as the FSM, with some audio tweaks. And while it's a fine score, considering what still remains from Jerry's catalogue, for better or for worse that's probably why people are a little underwhelmed. Especially since we had Trek V last year, which was a knockout release.

Although given the rarity of the previous issue (which MV has mentioned), 2000 is an interesting unit count.

And also, moving 1941 to Black Friday wouldn't have changed anything that was released... we would just have had to wait longer for it. What for?

As far as the above mentioned suspected non-greatness of Tora goes... I don't know the score (except for a few clips I heard years ago), but I've always been under the impression that it's considered one of his great scores from its period.

What I heard from it (which is essentially a Varese suite) is great. Not the kind of in your face Goldsmith (like Star Trek or Supergirl). But certainly at his creative peak, I'd say. Some really imaginative writing in there.

Karol

How on earth can anyone top Star Trek V, home Alone and Batman Returns?

Seriously, not every year can be "Holy Cow" years.

I think "Die Hard" (a holy grail for many), Scrooged (Unreleased Holy Grail) are great releases.

How on earth can anyone top Star Trek V, home Alone and Batman Returns?

Seriously, not every year can be "Holy Cow" years.

I think "Die Hard" (a holy grail for many), Scrooged (Unreleased Holy Grail) are great releases.

Agreed. I'm glad Die Hard got the official complete release it deserves. I've got a pristine sounding boot and I'm sure LLL's version will sound just the same. I do hope LLL's version will have the three missing major cues, which are "John's Confession", 'Double Cross", and "John's Big Jump".

Yeah b/c Hook wasn't in it right? It's only a letdown to you b/c Hook was missing.

BTW, I'm anticipating Hook's reissue too. So I'm not a hater. Just that the way some you overreact and tear down other scores that got released instead is ignorant.

I don't overreact and it isn't about Hook at all. Last year i thought Home Alone complete was an amazing replacement for Hook. This year is the same. We got the great 1941 and LaLaLand of course still is amazing. Just this batch is a letdown and it is their own fault when they overhype the black friday as this big event (which it was last year)

I don't consider Elfman a good composer and find most of his scores (only heard in film) sameish and kind of "simple". And the Batman scores are generally regarded as his best and most famous scores so Batman Returns was a major highlight last year not even comparable with Scrooge.

Regarding Scrooges: To get one of the first scores of an in my opinion average and overrated composer does nothing for me. I even listened to a suite of it and it sounds like Batman mixed with Charlies Chocolate factory. Either Elfman steals from himself all the time or he is just generic as hell. I mean this annoying lalalalala chorus lines all the time and the circus sounding stuff. And one motif in this score is the beginning of Batmans theme... i didn't want to start the rant but you made me to :)

Morricones score is interesting but we can't really say anything about it without some samples.

I don't get why Die Hard is sought after. I mean the movie is one of the alltime best action films but the score is just nothing special and the theme in my opinion pretty unengaging. I have seen the film propably two or three times over the last 15 years and never noticed anything special except the rearranged piece in the end (ode to joy...)

What i heard from Tora Tora doesnt sound very engaging (personal opinion) and the few reviews i read describe it as an average Goldsmith score, so no big deal. But don't get me wrong. I am at the moment just discovering Goldsmith and there are fantastic symphonic scores of his. I in fact liked the explorers samples so much i ordered the album along with First Knight. I also got Star Trek V last year and by now i consider it the best Goldmith score i know (in my opinion it even surpasses Star Trek TMP)

Like i already said all these Hook rumours (which were supported by dubious comments of MV) created dissapointments. Additionally LaLaLAnd hyped the Black Friday or how do you explain this statement???

In 2009, we unveiled Innerspace, The Fugitive and Panic in the Year Zero.

Then, in 2010, we upped the 3 to 4 and called it our FINAL FOUR, letting all of you know these will be the last 4 titles we release that year. Star Trek V, Batman Returns, Home Alone and Jade were part of this group.

The day after this last batch came out Matt and I thought, “Crap, how do we top this in 2011?”

We narrowed the field down to 10 titles that we felt were timely and appropriate for this release date. As time passed and we started to approach our deadline, we kept saying to ourselves, “Stay on Target!” “Stay on Target!” Some titles veered off to the side and got delayed for one reason or another, while others were staying on course, but they just didn’t seem to scream BLACK FRIDAY. As Labor Day hit, we locked down our FINAL FOUR.

The FINAL FOUR titles coming out in 2011 were real labors of love. All have great stories behind them and all have been treated with the TLC we try to give all of our releases.

Without further ado I present . . .

THE FINAL FOUR of 2011

What i heard from Tora Tora doesnt sound very engaging (personal opinion) and the few reviews i read describe it as an average Goldsmith score, so no big deal.

That's rubbish, TORA is sublime Goldsmith from his most creative period, but you have to open your musical sensibilities to more than grandiose blockbuster scoring, it's a modern and gritty work.

Yeah b/c Hook wasn't in it right? It's only a letdown to you b/c Hook was missing.

I don't overreact and it isn't about Hook at all. Last year i thought Home Alone complete was an amazing replacement for Hook. This year is the same. We got the great 1941 and LaLaLand of course still is amazing. Just this batch is a letdown and it is their own fault when they overhype the black friday as this big event (which it was last year)

I don't consider Elfman a good composer and find most of his scores (only heard in film) sameish and kind of "simple". And the Batman scores are generally regarded as his best and most famous scores so Batman Returns was a major highlight last year not even comparable with Scrooge.

Regarding Scrooges: To get one of the first scores of an in my opinion average and overrated composer does nothing for me. I even listened to a suite of it and it sounds like Batman mixed with Charlies Chocolate factory. Either Elfman steals from himself all the time or he is just generic as hell. I mean this annoying lalalalala chorus lines all the time and the circus sounding stuff. And one motif in this score is the beginning of Batmans theme... i didn't want to start the rant but you made me to :)

Morricones score is interesting but we can't really say anything about it without some samples.

I don't get why Die Hard is sought after. I mean the movie is one of the alltime best action films but the score is just nothing special and the theme in my opinion pretty unengaging. I have seen the film propably two or three times over the last 15 years and never noticed anything special except the rearranged piece in the end (ode to joy...)

What i heard from Tora Tora doesnt sound very engaging (personal opinion) and the few reviews i read describe it as an average Goldsmith score, so no big deal. But don't get me wrong. I am at the moment just discovering Goldsmith and there are fantastic symphonic scores of his. I in fact liked the explorers samples so much i ordered the album along with First Knight. I also got Star Trek V last year and by now i consider it the best Goldmith score i know (in my opinion it even surpasses Star Trek TMP)

Your loss.

I'm ordering the lot except the Morricone one, whose overall work I haven't quite warmed up to. I find Die Hard pretty timely since I just bought the BD boxset and have started reading Nothing Lasts Forever. I'll probably pick up Sleeping With the Enemy and Forever Young as well, even though I picked up the OST of the former in a second hand shop last year. Still have to get The Golden Child, Breakdown, Star Trek: The Next Generation and Bad Girls too.

When are these new ones up for ordering?

I am completely unfamiliar with Goldsmiths Tora Tora but this is a really old score and usually this means a lower sound quality. It is also not one of Goldsmiths greats so i couldnt care less for that too... and i won't even start on Elfman

You're completely unfamiliar with it yet you're qualified to say that it's not one of his greatest scores?

Completely unreleased material by two powerhouse composers isn't big? A complete remaster or what actually is a highly sought after OOP score isn't big? You keep going on stating these "facts" and you just sound like you've been offended. I put more hype into Hook than anyone that works for LLL. Your problem is you, learn to control your own emotions regarding hype.

You don't like Elfman or Kamen. Fine, doesn't mean these scores are disappointing, especially to their respective fans.

I hope La La Land goes out of business soon. Actually, any label that doesn't release Hook should just go ahead and close up shop because they're wasting our time.

That's not enough. Someone must be punished in a bodily harm-way!