The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

So, the announcement is at midnight of Thursday to Friday then, isn't it?

Can anyone tell me in what timezone?

There is no set time when the announcement will happen. Its whenever MV happens to post it. Last year it was at 9:43am (est)

The important thing is that the order time is set: Tuesday the 29th at 4pm EST

I will past Batman Forever and Planet of the Apes. It's a less interesting Elfman score, and the Batman one will last long I think.

As for King Kong, I am not sure it will be in this batch.

Anyway, one Barry, one Elfman and one Goldenthal? I can't say it is big. It is black Friday after all. Hope there will be at least two really big titles with big names. So I am hoping for at least one Williams, i.e. Hook.

I'm sure we'll see Batman Forever, which will be awesome.

I guess we'll get Barry's King Kong, because of the FSM version's price drop. Last time they did that Varese gave us a complete The Egyptian. Can't say I'm too thrilled about Kong, not being a fan of Barry, but I know many many people will be excited for it.

If we get Kong then Elfman's Planet of the Apes is likely too...that too will be a pass for me, the version in the Elfman box set is more than enough for me. I don't really like the score.

The 4th title, to me, is a wild card. I can't really think of what it could be.

Good guesses. The 4th title will surely be a Goldsmith.

Part of me wishes there is nothing of interest in this batch.

Part of me fears there WILL be nothing of interest in this batch. I still need something to order along with Gremlins and that obscure Williams thingy.

Yeah, maybe it will be Batman Forever after all? Then I could order this and the two recent Goldsmith scores from Joe Dante's films? I mean, you can't go wrong with them, can you?

Karol

^^^

I still need to order The Explorers. With all the praise it gets from fans.The problem is I hate buying blind. I've never seen the movie before. So If I purchase this it'll be collecting dust for the time being. I hate doing that. But I don't want this to sell out permanently. And miss out.

King Kong 1976 - A favorite Barry score. I would certainly want to hear it. Not sure if I'd pull the trigger, though.

Batman Forever - I wouldn't buy it, but this is awesome music.

Planet of the Apes 2001 - Absolutely a pass.

Goldsmith - All I'd want to see get out there is Star Trek. What else is there of real importance at this point? Soarin' Over California recording sessions?

Planet of the Apes doesn't seem a score that asks for expansion. What I've heard of the body of the score was pretty unremarkable really. I can understand LLL doing it if they're 'The Elfman Label' and it's Fox, but there's other stuff I'd prefer they did.

Main titles are very cool though.

How is it confusing? The titles are always announced on Black Friday. This year they are doing it immediately when it becomes Black Friday - midnight PST, which is basically late Thursday night.

None of the cds will be signed by the composers. The composers are either sadly no longer with us or are incredibly busy at this time.

The announcement will be coming at ya midnight (PST) Nov 25 (meaning Thursday night into Friday)

All four soundtracks are in stock and will be ready to ship next Tuesday Nov 29 at 1 pm PST That is when LLL and other fine establishements will start taking orders.

$29.98 - 2 cd set - 3500 units

$19.98 - 2 cd set - 3000 units

$19.98 - 1 cd - 3000 units

$19.98 - 1 cd - 2000 units

MV

Oooh, 2 x 2CD sets :P

Although I wonder why one of them is $10 more... maybe it cost them more to produce.

Hmmm.. Ok, now it's official!

No Hook unfortunately! Because it would be at least 5000 units.

The labels produce as many as they're allowed to. Although I agree that for Hook, the studio would be foolish to limit so much.

MV is it possible for you to tell us which pricing/unit combos make up each "Theme"?

THEME A

$29.98 - 2 cd set - 3500 units

$19.98 - 1 cd - 3000 units

THEME B

$19.98 - 2 cd set - 3000 units

$19.98 - 1 cd - 2000 units

Oooh, 2 x 2CD sets :P

Although I wonder why one of them is $10 more... maybe it cost them more to produce.

Hmmm.. Ok, now it's official!

No Hook unfortunately! Because it would be at least 5000 units.

The labels produce as many as they're allowed to. Although I agree that for Hook, the studio would be foolish to limit so much.

Well, LLL usually underestimates demand, although I also can't imagine Hook being anything less than 5000.

My guess:

THEME A - Superheroes

$29.98 - 2 cd set - 3500 units - Goldenthal's Batman Forever

$19.98 - 1 cd - 3000 units - ??

THEME B - Christmas

$19.98 - 2 cd set - 3000 units - Michael Kamen's Die Hard

$19.98 - 1 cd - 2000 units - Danny Elfman's Scrooged

The only thing about Hook being 5000... hasn't Sony-licensed stuff generally been set at 3500? I remember MV saying it was one of their conditions when they put out Caddyshack.

I think the next few weeks is gonna be prime time for soundtrack collectors. What Varese is unleashing is, in my opinion, spectacular (albiet pricey) and the 2 Intrada titles are must haves in my opinion. . .and thats just the stuff coming out between now and Dec 5. I wonder what else we have in store for us from FSM, Kritzerland and, most likely, Intrada before X-mas hits?

MV

As would I. Like Jason also said the Varèse set not only is incomplete but the sound isn't that great. If Die Hard is part of next weeks LLL batch that will be the only one I'll most likely get. I'm pretty tight on money this month and next month.

Batman Forever would be a definite buy. I have never really gotten into Kamen's Die Hard. Is there more to it than the Beethoven arrangement that makes it worth it? Would probably get Scrooged, as it has those Elfman choir "la la's" that I love.

The only thing about Hook being 5000... hasn't Sony-licensed stuff generally been set at 3500? I remember MV saying it was one of their conditions when they put out Caddyshack.

Someone in FSM mentioned that Star trek V which was Sony was 5000 units.

So, there is no way that Hook will be 3500...

:crymore:

Another guess:

THEME A - Monkeys/apes

$29.98 - 2 cd set - 3500 units - Danny Elfman's Planet of the Apes

$19.98 - 1 cd - 3000 units - John Barry's King Kong

THEME B - Christmas

$19.98 - 2 cd set - 3000 units - Michael Kamen's Die Hard

$19.98 - 1 cd - 2000 units - Danny Elfman's Scrooged

No, he covered it by saying "apes."

Besides, even limiting yourself to "apes" or "simians" still leaves the door open on such classics as Saving Private Ryan, Ben-Hur, Happy Gilmore, The Breakfast Club, There's Something About Mary, The Princess Bride, When Harry Met Sally, Dave, or another movie featuring people as the central focus.

I think Batman Forever fit only one CD. And yes, since Die Hard is less than 90mins, it is reasonable to release it in 2CD set but in one CD price. Same case as the Intrada's Jack the Giant Killer.

If King Kong is one CD, it means it do not include the LP release, right? So the FSM CD is still worth buying. But I find that there are some sfx, vocal in the FSM CD. Hope the complete score will be sfx free.

I still doubt that the Planet of Apes worth 3500 copies. But who care? I will not buy it anyway.

Who knows maybe La-La Land did get Batman Forever squared away in time, sometimes miracles do happen. I'd suggest being patient and wait until tomorrow night when MV announces the titles.

Heroes: Robin Hood and Batman Forever.

Apes: King Kong and Planet of the Apes.

I would buy all four. I would also buy Scrooged & Die Hard but a complete version of Kamen's Robin Hood is a huge grail for me.