The Avengers (Written and Directed by Joss Whedon, music by Alan Silvestri)

Kendal_Ozzel

I think the age of good superhero films will die this last Batman film

It's too early to say. The buzz surrounding The Avengers after its advance screenings have been off the charts. Word is that it's much better than the past three Marvel Studios films combined.

I can believe it, with the director and writer involved...

Chaac, GL isn't nearly as bad as you and a lot of people make it out to be. I thought it was a decent popcorn movie. Sure it's far from the best comic book movie. And it could've been a lot better with the story and mythology behind the character b/c it had the potential to be the next Star Wars or Star Trek. But this was the first attempt of the character on film. There were bound to be mistakes especially as tricky a character as GL is to pull off. Sure that doesn't excuse the final product. But I thought JNH's score was even more disappointing.

Sounds pretty super heroic. :) I hope Alan did not go loopy during the scoring of this movie though, like Navarrete with Wrath of the Titans.

Simplistic? Yes. Bland? No way.

Edit:

You know something I'd like to see in this film... I'd love Hulk or Banner to unexpectedly lift Mjolnir and/or use it in a climatic moment. Please.

Not true, notwithstanding the usage of the word "unexpectedly."

Mjolnir has been wielded by a select number of other individuals: alien Beta Ray Bill;[18] Buri (also known as Tiwaz, and Thor's great-grandfather);[19] Avenger Captain America;[20] Eric Masterson;[21] Odin and Borr (Odin's Father);[22] Miguel O'Hara;[23]

The hammer has also been lifted by various sentient constructs (non-sentient machines apparently cannot),[24] such as Zarrko the Tomorrow Man's mining robot;[25] the Air-Walker (animated by the soul of Nova Corps captain Gabriel Lan);[26] and the Awesome Android (by mimicking Thor's abilities and worthy nature).[27] The hammer has also been lifted by Earth itself when animated via magical means.[28]

There are also several other non-canon instances of other characters lifting the hammer, including: Conan the Barbarian;[29] Dargo Ktor (Future Thor);[30] Loki;[31] Magni;[32] Rogue (after absorbing the entirety of Thor's life force and thus essentially becoming Thor);[33] Woden;[34] Alex Power;[35] and the DC Comics characters Superman (though he was unable to later that issue and Thor claimed Odin had briefly lifted the enchantment)[36] and Wonder Woman.[37]

Several imitations of Mjolnir have also existed. These include Stormbreaker and the mace Thunderstrike, created for Beta Ray Bill[38] and Eric Masterson respectively.[39] Loki has been responsible for the creation of several imitations – a version of Mjolnir is presented to the mutant X-Men member Storm in an attempt to control her,[40] while another version is given to the mercenary Deadpool to spite Thor.[41] Loki also allows Surtur to use the forge Mjolnir was created from to craft copies during Ragnarok.[3] H.Y.D.R.A. created evil versions of Iron Man, Captain America, Hawkeye and Thor, the Thor imitator had a technological imitation of Mjolnir.[42] Tony Stark and Reed Richards also create a technological imitation Mjolnir for use by Ragnarok, the clone of Thor, during the Civil War storyline.[43]

In spoiler tags in case people don't want to OD on the nerd cut and paste.

The themes nice, but frankly doesn't sound like theres much to be excited for. I liked Captain America but it was a disappointment for me. Hopefully The Avengers will be more than that. Although Captain America's main theme was better (judging from what I've heard).

But one thing seems clear to me with these samples. Alan Silvestri should totally do a Bond film!

I want more themes... at first I thought the horn call was a theme for Thor, but I now I think it's part of a general theme. The only others we know about are the return of C.A.'s theme (yay! A or B or both?) and a theme for Black Widow...

I don't think this music will hurt the film in any way but there's always the possibility of having that extra thing to it. Like the possibility of having a strong musical identity for each superhero. If a film could use of that, it's this one.

Ya, but I don't think there will be individual thematic identities for the heroes largely because the thematic tapestry would become too complex for the mainstream superhero formula that requires a primary bold theme for audiences to latch onto. I believe what you're hearing is what you'll be hearing again and again in the film.

Wow, that theme's weak.

I agree it's sounds like something Jablonsky or Djawadi would do, not Silvestri. It is rather disappointing for a major movie like this. I swear it seems like most movies these days have almost no theme to the scores.

Wow, that theme's weak.

I agree it's sounds like something Jablonsky or Djawadi would do, not Silvestri. It is rather disappointing for a major movie like this. I swear it seems like most movies these days have almost no theme to the scores.

Maybe that's why I'm liking the new scores less and less these days. It's starting to get where directors and studios don't want a big recognizable theme and instead just want some nice ambient sound in the background, or some rhythmic material to move things along.

It sounds pretty "Silvestri-esque" to my ears. I can hear his own fingerprints (hey, MediaVentures did not invent minor-mode melodies played by unison horns). Sure, it's not Superman March, but it's quite catchy and fitting with the film's tone.

DON'T read the review of "The Avengers" (called "Avengers Assemble") provided at http://www.dailymail.co.uk -- I don't even want to provide the link, but I will.

The fourth paragraph gives away a MAJOR spoiler.

Granted, since I haven't seen the movie or read a detailed plot summary anywhere, I don't know if the reviewer is accurate and has ruined the premise, or is a complete moron and doesn't know who is who. I'm leaning towards the former.

The reviewer does give the movie four stars out of five. That's worth something.

What is it with modern composers combining big powerful melodies with drumkits. It sounds so corny.

A lot of Murray Gold's Doctor Who music is like that. It's getting annoying.

But when he doesn't go overboard with that it's pretty good. He comes up with great melodies.

So the consensus so far is "it's all exposition until the action packed amazing third act". We'll find out next week.

I read Whedon say he was inspired by The Dirty Dozen and Black Hawk Down... :conf:

I don't know if the reviewer is accurate and has ruined the premise, or is a complete moron and doesn't know who is who. I'm leaning towards the former.

Tookey is a moron.

It's a solid track. It's not as blatantly heroic as his Captain America March, but it still gets the job done. Those drums were completely unnecessary though. So basically the first half of this track provides the rhythmic identity in the low strings and the second half provides the melodic identity with the horns. He kept it short and sweet. The orchestration was simple and sweet as well. However, the rest of the score was kind of boring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmmV93eYtps

I like the theme a little bit more in that (counterpoint is crucial), but yeah, the drum backing is unnecessary and doesn't really mesh.

And what I've heard of the rest of the score is pretty uneventful really.

I liked it alot, and will be getting it from intrada, but I'm not gonna say it's marvel's best (Still Iron Man for me).

Iron Man's score is easily Marvel's worst.

I liked it alot, and will be getting it from intrada, but I'm not gonna say it's marvel's best (Still Iron Man for me).

I can easily agree with that statement.

I like Captain America, really. But this Avengers thing is just dull.

I can easily agree with that statement.

I like Captain America, really. But this Avengers thing is just dull.

I concur. Cap was among the very best of 2011. What's funny is that they are not entirely dissimilar in terms of style.

Karol

I think that the best thing about the score is when Capt America's theme shows up three or four times. But then again these statements are so fast and subtle that you can almost hear the producers saying: "You can't have a theme this long in the movie!". The score seems almost embarassed of it. Pity.

Karol

Only took months and nine pages in here for me to realise this movie is directed by Joss Whedon. Now all of a sudden I'm keen to see it.

I'm so behind the times, I dont know what the heck is happening in the entertainment world lately, I don't know why.

Only took months and nine pages in here for me to realise this movie is directed by Joss Whedon. Now all of a sudden I'm keen to see it.

I'm so behind the times, I dont know what the heck is happening in the entertainment world lately, I don't know why.

:lol:

And what's this, he's written it as well?! And the reviews have raved over it?? Okay now it's at the top of my list. I've been patiently waiting for a summer blockbuster which delivers thrills and spills since Avatar. Must see Captain America first, though.