What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Hard to tell. It isn't bad, but I don't hear any improvement. I mean, the original CD sounds perfect. I even listened to Lapti Nek! It wouldn't be a perfect Star Wars OST without alien disco and Ewok songs!

p_001649302.jpg

John Williams & The Boston Pops Orchestra - A Celebration

Decca, 001649302, Compilation

The two discs, in random.

Pan by John Powell. It starting to finally click with me. While there is still material on there that I don't care about, the development of my favourite theme in itself is worth the price of this album. What I start to dislike slightly about Powell is that he overdoses percussion a bit. And he throws in too much stuff sometimes, as if to compensate for lacking composition which isn't bad in the first place. He doesn't need all those drums, voices and effects. The writing is strong enough in its most basic form.

Karol

5 hours ago, crocodile said:

I just wish that pirate theme was more interesting. It kind of makes the entire thing feel more generic.

Big pathos and huge finales aren't Powell's thing. The best cues come right at the beginning (basically 1-4) and what comes after is either much ado about nothing or lesser repeats of this material.

The 7th Voyage of Sinbad - Bernard Herrmann

It's nice listening to a Herrmann score that isn't a Hitchcock thriller, and he can let loose. His famous minor-to-major key shifts are irresistible in  French horn mode, but he parades the main theme a bit too much. Still, it's a fun listen.

1 hour ago, Mr. Big said:

For?

He'll transfer his consciousness into a robot and dreams of electric sheep in the place where dreams are born.

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus by Jeff and Mychael Danna

The Rare Breed Suite by John Williams (from Close Encounters: The Essential John Williams Film Music Collection): I would love to hear the whole original score recording for this. The Silva Screen compilation suite performed by the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra is not half bad though featuring a sampling of various cues showcasing classic Williams-isms and delightful melodic writing.

The Cowboys by John Williams: A Western score full of Copland-esque Americana that is a terrific energetic wide-eyedly innocent romp from start to finish. I usually finish the programme by adding The Cowboys Suite from JWs Boston Pops compilation to the playlist.

:music:The Missouri Breaks (Kritzerland 2 CD release)

4 hours ago, E.T. and Elliot said:

Tough listens, the lot of them. The Cowboys is best represented by the concert suite.

The suite is great, but there's much more to the score that's not covered by it. The score followed by the suite makes for a perfectly fine playlist.

Return to Oz "complete" score

This version is a bit frustrating. The percussion sounds great, but overall the OST sound mix is completely superior. It's like night and day. Not that it sounds bad or anything, although there are some moments where the sound quality is indeed questionable. I believe I can hear sound effects at various points and Mombi's Mandolin...WTF? Why is this source music sequenced in with the score when it sounds terrible? One of them is relegated to bonus material, why not the other? Eh, whatever. It's a great score!

I tried to find discussion about Intrada's Return to Oz, but apparently that score attracts a niche audience even among film score fans, because FSM's discussion went on for like 4 pages and promptly died, as with JWFan's own thread. It's a great score!

The Sea Hawk - Erich Wolfgang Korngold

In some ways, it's a tad more rousing than The Adventures of Robin Hood, maybe due to the fanfare and Hugo Friedhofer's dense orchestrations. Still a grand Golden Age score, very rousing and brimming with harmony and major key bliss.

After listening to The Revenant a few more times, I'm realizing how silly the way that it's being written off as just the usual ambient soundscape stuff is, particularly by folks as illustrious as Conrad Pope.  We can joke about new vs. old and all the usual bullshit, but I find it hard to fathom how someone could argue that this isn't music of fine craft, which functions supremely well, regardless of how they feel about it taste-wise.  I hope it wins some awards and makes people mad.

It doesn't contribute much and what does isn't even from the score. Whatever dramaturgical ideas Sakamoto et al. may have had, in its final form there just is too much mood mongering going on that remains depressingly vague about anything. Though with the whole movie being such an odd duck of a Charles Bronson movie trying to be artsy, the score is the least of its problems.

8 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

After listening to The Revenant a few more times, I'm realizing how silly the way that it's being written off as just the usual ambient soundscape stuff is, particularly by folks as illustrious as Conrad Pope.  We can joke about new vs. old and all the usual bullshit, but I find it hard to fathom how someone could argue that this isn't music of fine craft, which functions supremely well, regardless of how they feel about it taste-wise.  I hope it wins some awards and makes people mad.

I am already condemning it already based on that description without having seen the film or heard a note of it. Sounds dangerous and revolutionary thinking that.

The Adventures of Robin Hood by Erich Wolfgang Korngold

Apollo 13 by James Horner

CASSANDRA CROSSING - Jerry Goldsmith

This brittle gem, which after a long time got into my shuffle with a (brilliant) piece i couldn't quite place, is at the top of the heavenly pantheon of the maestro's suspense-and-paranoia scores of the mid 70's - together with COMA and CAPRICORN ONE it belongs to the best american film music could possibly offer in this genre.

The musical idiom is an even more raw and sharp-edged Stravinsky-cum-Bartok exercise with electronically altered harpsichord and piano effects on top (to characterize the threat of biological warfare) that is made palatable by one of those Abba-inspired Europop themes of the time, ironically, i might add, because it's for the least deserving part of an already trite disaster movie.

Goldsmith orchestrated this one by himself: even more bone-dry than usual, the pulsating action cues ('The Climber'/'Helicopter Rescue') are among the composer's best and at a time when it wasn't considered anathema to have a wriggly, nervous clarinet line on top of things. A classic best appreciated on the perfectly assembled 35-minute album.

One score i got myself re-acquainted with is L. 627, a Philippe Sarde score for a remarkable Paris crime drama from 1992 from Bertrand Tavernier.

Sarde got into this multi-faceted portrait without being muted by hip hop and rap songs, as is the norm for american movies of this ilk, and responded with a brilliant mixture of Glass minimalism (with organ even, not unlike SNEAKERS), crude Brecht/Weill jazz, rock beats and a funny verfremdung of 'God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen' (whatever the implications i don't remember).

We are now so used to urban scores being purely atmospheric affairs barely rising above a whisper that it almost seems shocking now to have a composer taking the urban milieu as a springboard for an eclecticism that still works as a whole that it may be recommended to all who like to look beyond Hollywood.

On ‎5‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 9:00 AM, TheGreyPilgrim said:

I haven't yet had the time to listen to the album itself outside of a couple of tracks, but I loved the score in the film. Very fitting, considering the film's cold, desolate atmosphere.

I do think it's a tad overproduced though (i.e. the rather larger than life sound of the strings), and I don't like some of the gritty synth pads used. Otherwise, excellent effort.

An all Williams Playlist of the famous and not so famous including Jurassic Park, E.T., A.I., the Five Sacred Trees, the Violin Concerto, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Empire of the Sun, Heidi, Superman, Tintin, War Horse, Lincoln, Star Wars scores, Indiana Jones scores, the Oliver Stone Trilogy, Sleepers, Hook, Angela's Ashes, Images, Far and Away and many more and including of course Happy Birthday Variations.