What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Yasunori Mitsuda & Nobuo Uematsu - Front Mission: Gun Hazard

What better way to start a new work week?

Various Squaresoft Composers - Battle Tracks Vol. 1

Some gems mixed in with some everyday fair.  Heard a couple cues that made me want to check out other game scores

Various Squaresoft Composers - Tobal No. 1

I listened mainly for the Mitsuda tracks.  It was alright.

Yasunori Mitsuda - Radical Dreamers

REALLY good stuff here, some of his best, not a cohesive overall score though, it doesn't really have an ending, it just stops.

Lena Raine - Celeste

My first best score of 2018 and frankly it will take a lot from upcoming scores to knock this down a notch . A masterpiece, beautiful in every way.  I will be seeking out more of Lena's work! But first, I will listen to Celeste again...

The film had a promising start, but in the end it didn't deliver.

I haven't heard his LOTR nor BLONDEL (what's that?), but if they're worth checking out I certainly will. Have they been officially released? 

I just discovered that my local library has the early 80's adaptation of Nicholas Nickleby, a four-part miniseries where Oliver wrote the music for the first two parts. Ordered!

BLONDEL is an early 80s musical which he wrote with Tim Rice.

The BLONDEL London cast album has been rereleased, recently. As far as I know, the LOTR music is only available on the CD box-set of the show.

(edit) a quick gander on a well-known website that has the same name as a South American river, reveals that a secondhand copy of the CD of NN is available for £9:99.

The LOTR OST is only available on vinyl.

On 1/15/2018 at 9:34 AM, Jay said:

Its been a favorite of mine since 1997, too - film and score.

I like the OST, but lately have been listening to a fan edit made from the isolated score track of the DVD.  I want a proper specialty label expansion some day!  Shame it missed the 20th anniversary year.

I made an obscure Fifth Element reference at work the other day and my coworker got it. Small world! 

On 1/24/2018 at 11:08 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

Listening (again) to Conquest of the Skies by Álvarez, Sheinfeld, and Douek. Best nature documentary music there is.

Will need to check this out. I like Alvarez. 

7 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I made an obscure Fifth Element reference at work the other day and my coworker got it. Small world! 

I think its a pretty popular movie for the right age group.  It clearly continues to sell really well on home video as they keep coming out with new remasters

Now the score just needs to get the love it deserves!

I definitely remember seeing it in the summer of 1997, the same summer of The Lost World, Speed 2, Face Off, Men In Black, Contact, and Air Force One!  And then Tomorrow Never Dies and Titanic that December!

1997 is the year I saw the most movies of any year:

Turbulence

Dante's Peak

Volcano

Star Wars

The Empire Strikes Back

Return of the Jedi

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Liar Liar

Batman & Robin

Men In Black

Contact

Air Force One

Deep Impact

Starship Troopers

Titanic

Alien Resurrection

Unmatched by any proceeding year except 2002, where the number was high but not as high.

Rediscovering the first Shrek's score now. Powell's bloody great, and you can definitely hear the seeds of How to Train Your Dragon in some of the cues around the dragon:

Although the score's a bit bare on its own without All Star and the rest, that's more about those songs being an integral part of the movie, not Powell being bad at all.

Journey by Austin Wintory

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate by Austin Wintory

Empire of the Sun by John Williams

The Lost World: Jurassic Park by John Williams

The Mercy by Jóhann Jóhannsson

Meh. It's pleasant enough with one solid cue to take home. A couple of pieces from Orpée and some of his older stuff make it on here, and they make up the bulk of the highlights. But there's not much else to it. Theory of Everything was a better showcase of this kind of thing.

I'm curious about his score for Mandy though, which has been getting some rave mentions by the critics lately.

2 hours ago, KK said:

The Mercy by Jóhann Jóhannsson

Meh. It's pleasant enough with one solid cue to take home. A couple of pieces from Orpée and some of his older stuff make it on here, and they make up the bulk of the highlights. But there's not much else to it. Theory of Everything was a better showcase of this kind of thing.

I'm curious about his score for Mandy though, which has been getting some rave mentions by the critics lately.

Agreed.

Yes indeed. Yo-Yo Ma has such a beautiful immediate and warm musical voice that connects with the listener and Morricone's arrangements are equally wonderful.

18 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

:o

That is just one of the many highlights that score contains. Haunting, dream-like, eerie and altogether captivating.

Just now, Bespin said:

After Morricone and Williams, I wonder, if Yo-Yo Ma would make a Trilogy, which reat composer he should chose?

Jerry Goldsmith? Miklós Rózsa? Elmer Bernstein? James Horner?

Oooh now that is a tougher call. Off the top of my head Elliot Goldenthal would be pretty great. John Corigliano too. Also Yo-Yo still has to do a John Williams film score album!

I have the 2012 remastered CD, not the SACD, anyway I don't have the equipment to listen to SACD, and I care about SACD as much as I cared for "Quadraphonic sound" when I was a kid.

I listen to recordings which are in mono sometimes, give me a break about your 5.1! :sarcasm:

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « "me a break" drew barrymore ET GIF »

1 hour ago, Strangways said:

Star Wars- The Corellian Edition

I never really understood this strange compilation.

Don't know why Sony reissued it on this compilation too, but it has a clean version of The Flag Parade...

p_88875127322.jpg

John Williams: The Great Movie Soundtracks (2015, Sony Classical, 88875127322, Compilation)

CD 1: Harry Potter and the Philospher's Stone - Harry's Wonderful World; Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom: End Credits; Dartmoor, 1912; Sabrina: Theme; Theme from "Far and Away"; American Journey: I. Immigration and Building; II. The Country at War; III. Popular Entertainment; IV. Arts and Sports; V. Civil Rights and the Women's Movement; VI. Flight and Technology; Suite for Cello and Orchestra from "Memoirs of a Geisha": Sayuri's Theme; Going to School; The Chairman's Waltz; Brush on Silk; Chiyo's Prayer; Becoming A Geisha; CD 2: Theme from "Jaws"; Out to Sea / The Shark Cage Fugue from "Jaws"; Adventures on Earth from "E.T."; Flying Theme (From "E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial"); The Adventures of Tintin; The People's House; Suite from "Born on the Fourth of July": I. Theme from "Born on the Fourth of July"; II. Cua Viet River, Vietnam 1968; III. Massapequa...The Early Days; Theme (From "Schindler's List"); Theme (From "Jurassic Park"); Cadillac of the Skies from "Empire of the Sun"; Close Encounters of the Third Kind/When You Wish Upon a Star Medley; Theme from "Sugarland Express"; CD3: Episode I - Star Wars Main Title and the Arrival at Naboo; The Flag Parade; Episode I - Qui-Gon's Noble End; Jango's Escape; Yoda and the Younglings; General Grievous; Anakin's Dark Deeds; Imperial Attack; Ben Kenobi's Death / Tie Fighter Attack; Yoda and the Force; The Clash of Lightsabers; Sail Barge Assault; End Title from "Star Wars Episode VI"; CD 4: Air and Simple Gifts; Song for World Peace; Summon the Heroes (For Tim Morrison); Hymn to New England; The Five Sacred Trees (Concerto for Bassoon and Orchestra): I. Eó Mugna; II. Tortan; III. Eó Rossa; IV. Craeb Uisnig; V. Dathi; Sound the Bells!; Elegy for Cello and Orchestra; The Mission Theme (Theme for NBC News); March from 1941; The Olympic Spirit.

Darkest Hour - Dario Marianelli

This was very nice. Believe it or not, it was the first time I'd heard a score of his. Anyone have any recommendations? In particular, I liked the Mission Impossible/The Post-esque low string, building tension writing. 

If you liked that stuff, definitely go check out Atonement and V for Vendetta. For something more contemplative, Jane Eyre, and for large-scale epic, Agora.

5 hours ago, Will said:

Darkest Hour - Dario Marianelli

This was very nice. Believe it or not, it was the first time I'd heard a score of his. Anyone have any recommendations? In particular, I liked the Mission Impossible/The Post-esque low string, building tension writing. 

His Pride & Prejudice is quite good.

Living In The Age Of Airplanes. (James Horner)

Lightweight, energetic, varied and fun Horner score. Plays like a nice sampler of the composers versatility.

If you dislike certain Hornerisms than you will probably hate the (Pub?) but it's very listenable if you arent intellectually offended by Horner's tendencies.